Why do americans hate government spending?

Look at it historically. The issue first came up in the early days of the 19th century when there was growing political pressure for the federal government to fund "internal improvements" roads, canals, bridges, river ports etc. which would increase the economic viability of the rapidly expanding economy west of the Appalachians. The taxes were, naturally, resisted by the eastern establishment, who felt they were getting stuck with a bill that would pay for their competition. They were wrong, of course, the expansion of farms, businesses and towns in areas like the Ohio Valley boosted economic growth that made everyone richer.

Fast forward two hundred years and the same opposing forces appear, although in different geographic and economic form. But the principle is the same. "I've got mine!" feels a lot safer than "a rising tide raises all boats." The thing conservatives what to conserve above all is the status quo.

No, they weren't wrong. Why should anyone pay taxes to fund his competition?

Because we are paying through the nose for it. At least, some of us are.
You think federal taxes are needed to fund spending?
I seriously want to understand this. Any ideas?

Why do you hate thieves spending the money they stole from you?
Uh.. a government spending past tax receipts represents new financial assets for the private sector.
So where did you have to go in the lib blogosphere to find that twisted logic?

Why would anyone love government spending is a better question?
Helps the private sector acquire net financial assets, reduce the reliance on bank credit, increases aggregate demand.

Those are all illusory benefits. And you think they compensate for a great big gaping hole in my wallet?
I favor lower taxes. When the economy is experiencing depressed demand, the government needs to spend to help the private sector deleverage/have more dollars to spend.
And I suppose you also believe that tax rate reductions remove dollars from the economy.....

Nobody "hates" spending, that's like saying we hate government.

We just don't like the irresponsible manner in which either are carried out. Saying we hate government or hate spending is the liberal narrative that basically says it's all or nothing. If you're not all in on everything at any level, then you hate everything at any level.

It isn't the most intelligent response.
We just don't like the irresponsible manner in which either are carried out.
Explain what's irresponsible. The only real issue is we're not spending enough.

You really need to have it explained to you why government spending is irresponsible? Just consider Social Security, the world's largest Ponzi scheme.

I think most people who hate government spending, as a rule, just lack a basic education in economics. It is literally as simple as that.

However, people who have issues with how it is spent, how much is spent, deficit / surplus, and all the nuances that come with government spending can have some real legitimate points that may point towards less (or more) government spending depending on their argument.

Because it is stolen money spent by a mob.

I am sure you can tell why according to MMT theory the government is god though...

Because your economic understanding in its vastness can be summed up with:
-

We just don't like the irresponsible manner in which either are carried out. Saying we hate government or hate spending is the liberal narrative that basically says it's all or nothing. If you're not all in on everything at any level, then you hate everything at any level.

You really need to have it explained to you why government spending is irresponsible? Just consider Social Security, the world's largest Ponzi scheme.
Just as an aside, I'm pretty sure that Dovahkiin knows far more about economics than most posters on this forum (myself included). You aren't going to get away with throwaway statements like "the world's largest Ponzi scheme" unless you actually discuss the specific details about the issues you have with things and why.

Just as an aside, I'm pretty sure that Dovahkiin knows far more about economics than most posters on this forum (myself included). You aren't going to get away with throwaway statements like "the world's largest Ponzi scheme" unless you actually discuss the specific details about the issues you have with things and why.

No, he understands precisely zero about economics. Parroting one (very stupid) theory is not economic understanding. It's worse than knowing nothing.

Of course, we know the only reason he does this is that he is a hard core leftists and wants something to justify his crazy views with.

Government spending is NEGATIVELY associated with growth, there are dozens of studies that prove this... Taking people's earnings and paying people not to work, does not actually work.

You don't understand anything about how or why government spends money. Much of it is waste, fraud, abuse of power by deal making, spending against people's interests, funding social wet dreams over infrastructure, military and police (which are the primary reasons government exists) and on and on.

It's a bizarre question, how can one live long enough to learn how to type on a computer, register on a forum and ask a question so out of touch with reality?
I understand why a government spends money. For the public purpose. Ok.. all government spending ends up as income for someone in the private/foreign sector, even if it's considered "wasteful." Assume the government deficit spends 1 billion on building a test site in the middle of the desert. Some would call this wasteful. Ok, so people are employed to build this and paid the dollars, and the businesses that provide the real resources are also paid dollars, which they use to pay their employees. This all boosts demand. Now, should this happen? No, of course not, but in an economy with depressed demand, plenty of real resources, and unemployed people, what's the real harm? And the "wasteful spending" is only a small amount of overall government spending.
Wasteful spending is a huge part of government spending and no, it doesn't all benefit the private sector.
When there's plenty of real resources, and when businesses are just waiting for people to start producing sales, what is the harm?

The harm is that resources are being consumed by useless parasites instead of being put to a productive use.

Everyone loves gov spending ..... On the things they like !
You could not be any more incorrect. In my view government should perform essential services only. Do exactly what the Constitution permits it to do. And not one thing more..
The following depts should not exist.
Dept of Education( public) ....This is a state and for that matter, a local issue. The federal government in its fervor to exert control at the local level, developed a means to do so by offering money in lieu of having a say in local school districts.
Dept of Housing and Urban Development. Another method by which the federal government has ingratiated itself into local and state matters. Eliminate it.
Dept of Commerce. There are other federal depts ( FAA, FHWA, ICC) that enforce federal interstate commerce laws and regulations. The Dept of Commerce is redundant. Eliminate it.
Dept of the Treasury. Not needed. The federal reserve is the US Central bank.....
Dept of Homeland Security.....Why?.......The depts that existed under this umbrella of bureaucracy existed BEFORE DHS was formed. This is another redundant bureaucracy...Shut it down..BTW, there is a very loud and intense movement to kick out those arrogant do nothing uneducated shit heads that screen airline passengers. A month does not go by where the federal government does not easily sneak past these people all kinds of illegal stuff. through airport security.
Nearly HALF of all federal employees are paid by some kind of bureaucracy whose job it is to find things on which to spend money.

I have discussed the SS Ponzie scheme ad nauseum. Anyone who claims it isn't a Ponzi scheme is an economic ignoramus.

If you have to ask, you'll never know.
This is the stupid shit I get tired of. You don't even know why you believe it's "irresponsible."

Sure I do.... but if you think we're not spending enough, you'll never get it. Why should I, or anyone for that matter, waste our time? You think we got to $20,000,000,000,000 in debt and $120,000,000,000,000 in unfunded liabilities by under-spending?

You're either being silly or are really not that bright. That's like having $20,000 in credit card debt and saying "i just haven't borrowed enough".
Imagine having a printing press in your basement and debt denominated in what comes off that press.

That's exactly why we don't want government doing the same thing.

This is the stupid shit I get tired of. You don't even know why you believe it's "irresponsible."

Sure I do.... but if you think we're not spending enough, you'll never get it. Why should I, or anyone for that matter, waste our time? You think we got to $20,000,000,000,000 in debt and $120,000,000,000,000 in unfunded liabilities by under-spending?

You're either being silly or are really not that bright. That's like having $20,000 in credit card debt and saying "i just haven't borrowed enough".
Imagine having a printing press in your basement and debt denominated in what comes off that press.

Just imagine the possibilities:

Zimbabwe_$100_trillion_2009_Obverse.jpg

Because there are quite a few out there who never question where the money goes...
Because there are many who feel we don't spend enough.....
Because many feel that the money the people earn belongs to the government first
and are angry that we are allowed to keep some of it....

Because the Libs want to solve every fucking problem
this country faces by throwing more money at it....
Because many feel that the money the people earn belongs to the government first
Where did the dollars come from in the first place?
They were EARNED..Please don't come back with "but for the existence of government, no one would be able to earn a dime"...That is utter horseshit.
Your parroting Obama's infamous "you didn't build that" fuck turd spew is insulting.

Just imagine the possibilities:

Zimbabwe_$100_trillion_2009_Obverse.jpg

Dims don't understand why such a banknote is a problem.

No, he understands precisely zero about economics. Parroting one (very stupid) theory is not economic understanding. It's worse than knowing nothing.

Of course, we know the only reason he does this is that he is a hard core leftists and wants something to justify his crazy views with.

Government spending is NEGATIVELY associated with growth, there are dozens of studies that prove this... Taking people's earnings and paying people not to work, does not actually work.
Can you link me to these studies you refer to? From everything I've heard and seen it tends to be a nuanced subject (unless you are talking about extremes like communism or something).

On Dovahkiin, maybe...maybe not. I actually suspect he's probably college-age and trying to discuss topics he is learning about on this forum. With that said, I have nothing other than a basic understanding of economics so even if you parrot some theory that goes beyond the basics...it means you at least know more than me about that theory and, most likely, know more than me in general about economics which isn't something I tend to study a lot in my off time.

Forum List

Back