Why do so many people on this board wish to return to the 18th century?

Why do so many people on this board wish to return to the 18th century? That was a time when we as a nation committed very little towards investment within our borders, very little laws or rules to protect the workers, life was far harder then today and I honestly believe the world of the time was so alien to the concepts of modern 20th and 21st century that America would be transformed into a very poor, backwards and violent society if we attempted it. It would be a outright suicide of the most advance nation on earth in many measures and a true lost to all of humanity.

Government expanded because it had too, just like every other modern state due to civilized people wanting infrastructure, wanting education for their children, clean air, water and food and a ever better standard of living. For one to argue that the 18th century was superior is the height of insanity within my mind, but that is exactly what extreme conservatism is bitching for. So you'd rather put your trust in the same corporations that pollute the environment in india then to have the government fine the bastards and give them a good reason to stop??? So you'd rather businesses have the power to refuse payment to work or set up sweat shops while you smile and say get a job. WTF is wrong with you? I say this because it could be you or your children that has little choice for employment! Why make life worse for yourself?

I could keep going on down the list on why the concepts of the 18th century would be a nightmare to the American people but I'll stop here. Lets just say that it isn't preferable and I really wish some people would see the benefits in living within a society that gives a shit about things.
Why do you create such stupid fucking threads?

I myself would only be comfortable going back to 1866 because that was when the first Winchester repeating rifle was designed and sold.

Muslims in this country are more educated and law abiding than the general population
You prove this theory correct every single day. I've never encountered anyone more ignorant of the U.S. Constitution than you are.

American Muslims make better citizens than you do
Until they are in charge and implement Sharia Law. Then you'll be crying like a scared little bitch for people like me to come rescue you.

You're catering to them now out of the "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" principle. Trust me you fragile little snowflake - you wouldn't last 30 seconds in the true muslim world.

LOL Sharia Law

You don't even know what it means

Why do so many people on this board wish to return to the 18th century? That was a time when we as a nation committed very little towards investment within our borders, very little laws or rules to protect the workers, life was far harder then today and I honestly believe the world of the time was so alien to the concepts of modern 20th and 21st century that America would be transformed into a very poor, backwards and violent society if we attempted it. It would be a outright suicide of the most advance nation on earth in many measures and a true lost to all of humanity.

Government expanded because it had too, just like every other modern state due to civilized people wanting infrastructure, wanting education for their children, clean air, water and food and a ever better standard of living. For one to argue that the 18th century was superior is the height of insanity within my mind, but that is exactly what extreme conservatism is bitching for. So you'd rather put your trust in the same corporations that pollute the environment in india then to have the government fine the bastards and give them a good reason to stop??? So you'd rather businesses have the power to refuse payment to work or set up sweat shops while you smile and say get a job. WTF is wrong with you? I say this because it could be you or your children that has little choice for employment! Why make life worse for yourself?

I could keep going on down the list on why the concepts of the 18th century would be a nightmare to the American people but I'll stop here. Lets just say that it isn't preferable and I really wish some people would see the benefits in living within a society that gives a shit about things.
Progressives/federal government are a bunch of control freaks… They will do everything they can to destroy individuality and any sort of freedom… fact

in answer to your question in the o/p......angry, uneducated, uninformed white Christian trash want to go back to when white Christian males ran the world. they don't like not being able to tell women and people of color what to do. and they certainly don't like people who won't let them enact their religion into legislation.

Progressives/federal government are a bunch of control freaks… They will do everything they can to destroy individuality and any sort of freedom… fact

so says a moron who wants to tell people how to make their most personal decisions.

now run along little boy

The Constitution ducked the issue and it ended up costing us 600,000 lives to fix the problem

I disagree. It didn't duck the issue, it couldn't resolve the issue. With the overwhelming majority of America involved either directly or indirectly in some way with agriculture/slavery, do you think the Constitution would have ever been ratified if it banned slavery?

Now, they DID ban slave trade. You could no longer go down to Charleston and buy a slave fresh off the boat. That ended with the Constitution. This is fairly significant given the importance of slaves to the plantations at the time. The fact they did accomplish this much is a complete refutation of the argument they ducked the issue.

In addition, they worded the Constitution and preamble so that it became a righteous sword for future abolitionists. They knew that the day would come when the people would be ready to end slavery and liberate those in shackles. They gave them the tools to do that when the time came.

Of course, when that time came, justices on the courts ruled slaves were property. It was upon that ruling we had a splitting of opinions across America and suddenly, abolition became a social issue versus a state's rights issue. This is what prompted the war. It was the failure of the courts and congress to find a resolution.

They didn't need the slave trade any more
They had breeding programs to get all the slaves they wanted. Home grown slaves were easier to deal with than Kunta Kinte

There were over 4 million slaves in 1860. Didn't look like banning imports made any impact

so says a moron who wants to tell people how to make their most personal decisions.

now run along little boy
You have no reading comprehension, I've always said I don't care what people do with their personal life that includes financial. I happened to be a libertarian...

in answer to your question in the o/p......angry, uneducated, uninformed white Christian trash want to go back to when white Christian males ran the world. they don't like not being able to tell women and people of color what to do. and they certainly don't like people who won't let them enact their religion into legislation.

A perfect example of a perfect bigot.

The Constitution ducked the issue and it ended up costing us 600,000 lives to fix the problem

I disagree. It didn't duck the issue, it couldn't resolve the issue. With the overwhelming majority of America involved either directly or indirectly in some way with agriculture/slavery, do you think the Constitution would have ever been ratified if it banned slavery?

Now, they DID ban slave trade. You could no longer go down to Charleston and buy a slave fresh off the boat. That ended with the Constitution. This is fairly significant given the importance of slaves to the plantations at the time. The fact they did accomplish this much is a complete refutation of the argument they ducked the issue.

In addition, they worded the Constitution and preamble so that it became a righteous sword for future abolitionists. They knew that the day would come when the people would be ready to end slavery and liberate those in shackles. They gave them the tools to do that when the time came.

Of course, when that time came, justices on the courts ruled slaves were property. It was upon that ruling we had a splitting of opinions across America and suddenly, abolition became a social issue versus a state's rights issue. This is what prompted the war. It was the failure of the courts and congress to find a resolution.

They didn't need the slave trade any more
They had breeding programs to get all the slaves they wanted. Home grown slaves were easier to deal with than Kunta Kinte

There were over 4 million slaves in 1860. Didn't look like banning imports made any impact

But now you are abandoning your argument and changing to another one you like better. I can't let you do that in the middle of a debate. You argued they ducked the issue, now you're admitting they didn't duck the issue but what they did was superficial and didn't matter much. Again, they did what they were able to do at that time. They could not ban slavery! That wasn't going to happen. Had they attempted to do this with the Constitution, it would have never been ratified.

And let me clarify something so you don't go getting the wrong idea. I hate when people twist something I say into something they want to hear and disregard my point. I am not saying that the founders banning slave trade was some glorious achievement they should be commended and praised for. I merely stated that, at that time, it was significantly bold to do that. They didn't HAVE to... there wasn't any real pressure from anyone. It was simply a matter of consciousness. Slavery is an affront to Liberty.

My argument has been that they didn't "duck the issue" as you claimed. They addressed it the best way they could at the time. They couldn't resolve it but they left the tools and language to resolve it for future generations.

You mean the society where 47% don't pay federal taxes ?

That society ?

Or where so many can scam the system ?

Or where the top 1% use government to get richer ?

Are you really that stupid ?

A perfect example of a perfect bigot.
The irony being that there is nobody more angry and more uninformed with a greater desire to control everyone else's life than jillian. She described herself to a "T" except for the religion.

[

You see... the genius of this system is, MOST people are ensured happiness and individual liberty. It is through this brilliant system our happy and free people built the greatest and most powerful nation that ever existed. Some will inevitably chime in here... oh yeah, what about the SLAVES? Okay... it was our system and our fundamental principles which ultimately prevailed in ending slavery. It took a while, we had to fight a bloody war, but eventually the principles of liberty prevailed.

But if you are ensured happiness and liberty how come you lot are whining and whinging and moaning all the time?

[

You see... the genius of this system is, MOST people are ensured happiness and individual liberty. It is through this brilliant system our happy and free people built the greatest and most powerful nation that ever existed. Some will inevitably chime in here... oh yeah, what about the SLAVES? Okay... it was our system and our fundamental principles which ultimately prevailed in ending slavery. It took a while, we had to fight a bloody war, but eventually the principles of liberty prevailed.

But if you are ensured happiness and liberty how come you lot are whining and whinging and moaning all the time?

Might have something to do with your lot constantly bemoaning the constitution and trying to destroy our brilliant system.

Why do so many people on this board wish to return to the 18th century?

Oh they have this fucked up religion that teaches the Gaia is angry because man has too much comfort and ease, They say that their goddess is punishing us by making the world too hot to live in. Their religion says we have to stop using energy, live in squalor while starving to death in the dark to "STOP GLOBAL WARMING.'

It's a fucked up religion followed by insanely stupid people.

Forum List

Back