Why do the God-haters persist?

Doesn't matter... We can do the same exact experiment on evidence God doesn't exist and get the exact same results. Back at 50/50 odds. Got anything else?

It does matter. You didn't do your homework assignment. The evidence any one god doesn't exist is overwhelming.

You're back at 0.

And YOU are at zero too. Where is your evidence ANYTHING doesn't exist? What YOU have, is a FAITH that something doesn't exist. You can't support your faith with science.

We're both still at zero. Odds are still 50/50.

Here's a homework assignment for you, toots... Find a coin... one of those shiny things in daddy's pocket... On one side is a 'head' of someone famous, the other side usually has a building or bird or something else... it's the 'tail' side. Flip it in the air... you may need to get help with this... and make a call as it flips in the air... heads or tails... one is "God is real" and the other is "God is not real" and let's see how you come out? No cheating!

:badgrin:

Where is my evidence ANYTHING doesn't exist?

Oh, Bossy. This has been addressed for you many times.

I do have proof your gods don't exist.

Where is you proof I don't? So, we can agree your gods don't exist.

You never completed your homework assignment.

What is 0 divided by 10,000?

So religion is going to prevent us from finding a way to keep meteors from hitting Earth? You make that argument while saying the religious are ignorant and stupid? :lol:

Look, as I've said, I don't believe in any religion. They tend to be contradictory and based on very little in the way of evidence IMO. I think they are, in large part, a combination of environment (raised into religious belief, seeing religious belief around you in your formative years, etc.), habit and a search for comfort. On the other hand, I don't think that necessarily is bad. As with most anything, there are good and bad aspects to religious belief.

Religious belief has changed many times in history. So one could say that we have been learning as we go. I'm not sure why you think people must follow your timetable for changing their beliefs. :dunno:

I don't have any set timetable.

And... asteroid impact is just one of many possibilities that could be our undoing. Maybe nothing so dramatic is going to threaten earth and/or it's inhabitants. It could be something as simple and insideous as a disease .... a pathogen for which there is no cure. Maybe it is something created by a religious based government from which we in the US have no control over.

The problem with religion is certainly not just christian vs atheist in this country. The problem if human caused is more about right and wrong..truth and lies .. even if the lies are honestly believed.

Do you think the maniacs that flew the planes into the twin towers thought they were doing right or wrong?

One individual will never be much of a threat to mankind. It would take some kind of organization to start a nuclear exchange. It would take a rogue government probably a government run by religious fundamentalists bent on taking down the devils in the West..us.

Maybe your attitude of laughing at the potential for religion to be at the heart of some act precipitating a war or preventing us from saving ourselves is so remote that it makes no difference if religion survives on for another several thousand years or not.

Your sceptism could be right. I for one don't put ANYTHING past man's ability to twist religion into some devastating action on a scale not yet envisioned after seeing those towers collapsing. Maybe it's just me but since 9/11 I look at religion as something a lot
more threatening than the day before that horrible day.

Religion and the mass hypnosis and the believing of the lies on a level of millions or billions of people decieved may amount to nothing. It is possibly the only mechanism within human control that could make us pay for ignoring it's potential for evil and miss use aside from the stockpile of nuclear bombs still waiting for some crazy fuckers wanting to martyr themselves and "serving god" by sending us all to hell. It's not religion that kills people... it's the crazy fuckers that believe in religion that kills people.

Sure, people have done some terrible things in the name of religion. Of course, the closest we've probably come to a nuclear exchange was between the secular United States and the communist Soviet Union, certainly nothing close to religious driven conflict.

And yes, the current Islamic fundamentalists are doing some horrible things. I'm not saying that religion cannot be used to justify all manner of atrocity. If you think that without religion, humanity would somehow stop doing the horrible things we do, you are being naive. Nationalism, race, political affiliation.....people will find reasons to try and kill other people.

I'd be happy if religion were to fade away because I've almost always found religious belief perplexing. To me, there's just no good reason to believe. But this idea that religion is holding us back in some way is as without evidence as religions themselves.

That is simply not true... just two examples.. the religists attempting to dilute the quality of education in America insisting on ID being inserted in science classes.. and most recently the 200 young girls abducted in Africa because muslims hate women getting any kind of western ideas in their education. Two clear examples of religists FORCING stupidity in the world right here ..right now.

Will you be left behind for this judgment on a sin,evil loving, GOD rejecting world???The first sounded, and there came hail and fire, mixed with blood, and they were thrown to the earth; and a third of the earth was burned up, and a third of the trees were burned up, and all the green grass was burned up. 8The second angel sounded, and something like a great mountain burning with fire was thrown into the sea; and a third of the sea became blood, 9and a third of the creatures which were in the sea and had life, died; and a third of the ships were destroyed.… Revelation 8:7-9

I don't have any set timetable.

And... asteroid impact is just one of many possibilities that could be our undoing. Maybe nothing so dramatic is going to threaten earth and/or it's inhabitants. It could be something as simple and insideous as a disease .... a pathogen for which there is no cure. Maybe it is something created by a religious based government from which we in the US have no control over.

The problem with religion is certainly not just christian vs atheist in this country. The problem if human caused is more about right and wrong..truth and lies .. even if the lies are honestly believed.

Do you think the maniacs that flew the planes into the twin towers thought they were doing right or wrong?

One individual will never be much of a threat to mankind. It would take some kind of organization to start a nuclear exchange. It would take a rogue government probably a government run by religious fundamentalists bent on taking down the devils in the West..us.

Maybe your attitude of laughing at the potential for religion to be at the heart of some act precipitating a war or preventing us from saving ourselves is so remote that it makes no difference if religion survives on for another several thousand years or not.

Your sceptism could be right. I for one don't put ANYTHING past man's ability to twist religion into some devastating action on a scale not yet envisioned after seeing those towers collapsing. Maybe it's just me but since 9/11 I look at religion as something a lot
more threatening than the day before that horrible day.

Religion and the mass hypnosis and the believing of the lies on a level of millions or billions of people decieved may amount to nothing. It is possibly the only mechanism within human control that could make us pay for ignoring it's potential for evil and miss use aside from the stockpile of nuclear bombs still waiting for some crazy fuckers wanting to martyr themselves and "serving god" by sending us all to hell. It's not religion that kills people... it's the crazy fuckers that believe in religion that kills people.

Sure, people have done some terrible things in the name of religion. Of course, the closest we've probably come to a nuclear exchange was between the secular United States and the communist Soviet Union, certainly nothing close to religious driven conflict.

And yes, the current Islamic fundamentalists are doing some horrible things. I'm not saying that religion cannot be used to justify all manner of atrocity. If you think that without religion, humanity would somehow stop doing the horrible things we do, you are being naive. Nationalism, race, political affiliation.....people will find reasons to try and kill other people.

I'd be happy if religion were to fade away because I've almost always found religious belief perplexing. To me, there's just no good reason to believe. But this idea that religion is holding us back in some way is as without evidence as religions themselves.

That is simply not true... just two examples.. the religists attempting to dilute the quality of education in America insisting on ID being inserted in science classes.. and most recently the 200 young girls abducted in Africa because muslims hate women getting any kind of western ideas in their education. Two clear examples of religists FORCING stupidity in the world right here ..right now.

In your first example, which has some merit, there are religious people opposed to ID being taught in science classrooms, and it is not something that has been adopted widely despite the fact that the vast majority of the US identifies as having some sort of religious belief.

In your second example, while certainly people do stupid shit in the name of religion, that isn't really holding back a society. It's a tragedy, certainly, but not analogous to your 'stopping a meteor' hypothetical. Besides which, people without religious beliefs have also done horrible shit.

In order to really have evidence that religion is holding back society or the world, we'd need to see non-religious societies doing better than religious ones. Since we don't see that, it's hard to show causation.

I do have proof your gods don't exist. Where is you proof I don't?

Well, my proof you don't is the fact that you're not posting it.

...Can we grow up now?

How strange bossy man. You expect others to post proof your gods don't exist yet you exempt yourself from posting proof your gods do exist.

You now see the failure of your argument, right?

This has what, exactly, to do with my post?

I didn't claim that there is an equal chance a god exists as that no god exists. What I've said, multiple times now, is that trying to quantify the probability is impossible. God must first be clearly defined, then some sort of criteria for what makes the existence of a god probable or not addressed. It is further complicated by man's ignorance of much of the universe.

So while you can certainly point out contradictions or fallacies in any particular religious belief, none of that means a thing when trying to determine the probability of the existence of god(s).

Unless you can show how you come to your 99.9999% probability, all you are really doing is pulling the number out of your ass. ;)

Science says we made up the idea of god. And since you have zero evidence of god, I guess I'm just being nice by saying there is a 1% chance god exists. The only reason I give you 1% is because I can't see what is on the other side of the moon or what's inside a black hole. It may be god sitting around playing cards with my grandfathers. What are the chances of that? Would it be more or less than .00001%? Exactly!!!!

You can avoid this all you want. I'm not looking for you to increase your probability numbers. I'm saying that there is no way to come up with an accurate number as to the probability of god(s) existing.

And again, 'science' doesn't say humanity made up the idea of god. There is some research which may point to that being the case, but your continued use of science as some sort of catch-all is silly.

I agree there is little to no evidence of god. However, the whole agnostic part of agnostic atheism is saying that any god, if it exists, is likely unknowable by humans. So I'll be happy to admit that I don't believe in the gods of the human religions I've seen, but not dismiss the possibility that there may be a kernel of truth to them, that some intelligence may have created the universe. And I'm not going to be so arrogant as to think I can assign a number to the probability that such a thing is true. That would require me to believe I know most everything there is to know about the universe.

Lets just say that with all the evidence so far I'd put it at a > 1% chance a god exists. But I do get where you are coming from now. Yes, I agree. I like that scene in Family Guy where it pans out from them to the planet to the other planets to past our solar system to beyond the universe and it ended up being in some kids snow globe toy in his room. Who knows what is on the other side of worm holes and black holes.

Here is my point I guess. We have zero evidence of any gods. That's it.

Oh yea and I was thinking about Santa vs. Jesus this weekend. People can't comprehend how an entire society could be brainwashed, but then just look at what we do to our kids. We tell them this incredible story that couldn't possibly be true and then one day they get old enough to question the stories and figure out it isn't true. So how come the same citizens don't do the same thing with religion? Because they are brainwashed and guilt'ed into not doubting. No one ever said "doubt santa and go to hell". Just if you doubt him the toys will stop coming. Amazing the similarities. I wonder if the Santa story is bad for christianity or does it help soften up people for later when they get older to be faithful. I say telling kids one bullshit story is not smart. You know the saying fool me once shame on you but fool me twice shame on me?

Will you be left behind for this judgment on a sin,evil loving, GOD rejecting world???The first sounded, and there came hail and fire, mixed with blood, and they were thrown to the earth; and a third of the earth was burned up, and a third of the trees were burned up, and all the green grass was burned up. 8The second angel sounded, and something like a great mountain burning with fire was thrown into the sea; and a third of the sea became blood, 9and a third of the creatures which were in the sea and had life, died; and a third of the ships were destroyed.… Revelation 8:7-9

I would love to wake up one morning to see that I survived this event. The planet would grow back stronger and better with less humans on it especially the righties. I love it that we know Jesus is coming to take you all away. Other species will evolve and take over the planet and the food chain will restore itself. Maybe we'll have to go through hell and an ice age to get back to where we need to be but it'll be worth it. We won't let religion flourish again. We'll be too smart for that next time.

LOL!!! ALL THE UNIVERSE AND LIFE IS PROOF OF GOD!! What kind fool needs more proof????????????? and you???====That man is a fool who says to himself, “There is no God!” Anyone who talks like that is warped and evil and cannot really be a good person at all.Psalm 14:1===Only a fool would say to himself, “There is no God.” And why does he say it? Because of his wicked heart, his dark and evil deeds. His life is corroded with sin. PSALM 53:1 and you???

Belief in god is not ignorance. That is, in fact, an ignorant statement; if you were aware of the definition of ignorance, that being an absence of knowledge, you would realize that belief in a god is possible no matter a person's knowledge or education. You also equated ignorance to stupidity, which is also incorrect; ignorance is about knowledge while stupidity is about intelligence.

Beyond which, if you took the statement in context and continued to the very next sentence, you'd see that I was saying that belief or lack of belief isn't important in regards to assigning a percentage to the probability some sort of god exists.

So now we have sealybobo making things up to try and show that something is made up, and now you are using ignorant statements to try and show something is ignorant. And you both seem to be people that I mostly agree with as far as the existence of god is concerned. :lol:

OK... How about WILLFULL IGNORANCE?

Clinging desperately to a position that cannot be supported by fact for well over 3,000 years is evidense of mass stupidity.

The possibility of other alternatives, as time unfolded the science of astronomy, was brutally beat down in favor of the least likely truth.

The only hope for human kind is our ability to learn as we go. We must concede our past ignorance in view of the knowledge we encounter along the way into the future.

All we need to do is look skyward at the moon and it's many craters to see that enemies abound that could spell a very violent end to our existance.

It may very well come down to an extraordinary effort of correct thinking and action on our part and total commitment and co-operation to plan for and execute a survival strategy.

We won't have time to fight off the ignorant viewpoints and still focus on what may even with our best efforts an impossible task.

In the last few thousand years we have lived luckily in a time span of relative safety but that is clearly to any but fools not the way things have happened in the long term.

We have NOT learned from the past but wallowed in willfull ignorance and whether you like it or not that is stupid.

So religion is going to prevent us from finding a way to keep meteors from hitting Earth? You make that argument while saying the religious are ignorant and stupid? :lol:

Look, as I've said, I don't believe in any religion. They tend to be contradictory and based on very little in the way of evidence IMO. I think they are, in large part, a combination of environment (raised into religious belief, seeing religious belief around you in your formative years, etc.), habit and a search for comfort. On the other hand, I don't think that necessarily is bad. As with most anything, there are good and bad aspects to religious belief.

Religious belief has changed many times in history. So one could say that we have been learning as we go. I'm not sure why you think people must follow your timetable for changing their beliefs. :dunno:

You argue for the other side an awful lot for someone who doesn't believe. And if you don't see how religion is hurting society, then maybe you aren't as smart as you think. All the wars, the tax scam while not helping the poor or sick, they use god to ban stem cell and abortion and even birth control. And what gets me is they want their religion to be the official religion of the country. Like Sharia law only with christians. I could go on and on but I won't. I think you get it that religion keeps people ignorant. Denying global warming and evolution? What is wrong with you?

Science says we made up the idea of god. And since you have zero evidence of god, I guess I'm just being nice by saying there is a 1% chance god exists. The only reason I give you 1% is because I can't see what is on the other side of the moon or what's inside a black hole. It may be god sitting around playing cards with my grandfathers. What are the chances of that? Would it be more or less than .00001%? Exactly!!!!

I'm sorry, but when did "science" say anything? Science doesn't say that because science doesn't speak with one voice and with definitive conclusion... on anything.

In fact, that would be anathema to science. You vanquished science the instant you drew conclusion. When you believe something without proof it is called Faith, not Science.

If you have no evidence there's not a God and they have no evidence there is a God, then the odds are 50-50. Until you come up with something to disprove God, you can't disprove God. Therefore, we are still at 50-50. The 99-to-1 odds are based on your faith and has no supporting scientific evidence. It's as good as my odds of 99-to-1 in favor of God. In fact, if we're going by the criteria of just throwing out odds with no basis in science, then I'll say 100-to-0 that there is a God! :eusa_clap:

Science disagrees with you. So are you smarter than science?

A common attempt to shift the burden of proof or ‘make room’ for a god. Represents a type of false dichotomy that excludes the fact that there is insufficient investigation and the proposition has not yet been proven either true or false.

The failure to disprove the existence of something does not constitute proof of its existence.

Belief is not as valid a position as skepticism when dealing with unsupported or unfalsifiable claims because all such claims would need to be believed implicitly. Agnostic atheism is the most rational position.

I'm sorry, but when did "science" say anything? Science doesn't say that because science doesn't speak with one voice and with definitive conclusion... on anything.

In fact, that would be anathema to science. You vanquished science the instant you drew conclusion. When you believe something without proof it is called Faith, not Science.

If you have no evidence there's not a God and they have no evidence there is a God, then the odds are 50-50. Until you come up with something to disprove God, you can't disprove God. Therefore, we are still at 50-50. The 99-to-1 odds are based on your faith and has no supporting scientific evidence. It's as good as my odds of 99-to-1 in favor of God. In fact, if we're going by the criteria of just throwing out odds with no basis in science, then I'll say 100-to-0 that there is a God! :eusa_clap:

Well then... :lol: That settles it.

With THAT kind of logic the earth must be no more than 3,000 or so years old. Since there is little to no recorded history more than that in age... certainly no calenders to prove earth is older than that then there must be at least a 50-50 chance the earth MUST be just a few thousand years old. I mean...carbon dating has some flaws... we can certainly throw that "theory" baby out with the bath water.

The great flood of Noah? Hells bells... why not? Never mind all the different types of variations of human beings.. Black skinned...slant eyed... I guess we can just rack that up to evolution..whoops !!! Can't be.. So Noah got a couple of negros..a couple of Chinese..etc...a couple of South American Indians to walk or swim 20,000 miles to catch his boat before it sailed ... and THAT explains where THEY came from...not to mention that they had to walk and swim BACK to where they came from ... No problem..!!! Thank GOD they didn't mind going to that effort to keep THAT story intact.. :lol:

Sorry.. the rabbit holes are being filled up faster than you crazies can dig them now. If it takes looking under every rock in the universe to find your god then so be it. If that what it takes to rid the place of this insane fairy tale then that is what we need to do to erradicate the scourge of religion and god from ours and all other worlds.

Seems like an impossible job proving that god isn't camped out in some little cubby hole a trillion light years away in some cave not yet discovered before it will be enough "proof" to satisfy some people.

Lots to do...lets get crackin... :lol:

Have you heard about this MERS sickness that is killing people? Look who these science haters run to when they need a cure. I say they should only be able to go to church for their cure if they want to hate on scientists.

Ever see Dallas Buyers Club? If you get aids, cancer or alzheimers and you hate science you should run to the pope or one of those healers who can supposedly do miracles and cure people.

If that recent pope who just was made a saint could cure people with a touch and he only did it one time then he is a sadistic fuck not a saint.

With THAT kind of logic the earth must be no more than 3,000 or so years old. Since there is little to no recorded history more than that in age... certainly no calenders to prove earth is older than that then there must be at least a 50-50 chance the earth MUST be just a few thousand years old. I mean...carbon dating has some flaws... we can certainly throw that "theory" baby out with the bath water.

The great flood of Noah? Hells bells... why not? Never mind all the different types of variations of human beings.. Black skinned...slant eyed... I guess we can just rack that up to evolution..whoops !!! Can't be.. So Noah got a couple of negros..a couple of Chinese..etc...a couple of South American Indians to walk or swim 20,000 miles to catch his boat before it sailed ... and THAT explains where THEY came from...not to mention that they had to walk and swim BACK to where they came from ... No problem..!!! Thank GOD they didn't mind going to that effort to keep THAT story intact.. :lol:

Sorry.. the rabbit holes are being filled up faster than you crazies can dig them now. If it takes looking under every rock in the universe to find your god then so be it. If that what it takes to rid the place of this insane fairy tale then that is what we need to do to erradicate the scourge of religion and god from ours and all other worlds.

Seems like an impossible job proving that god isn't camped out in some little cubby hole a trillion light years away in some cave not yet discovered before it will be enough "proof" to satisfy some people.

Have you heard about this MERS sickness that is killing people? Look who these science haters run to when they need a cure. I say they should only be able to go to church for their cure if they want to hate on scientists.

YES!!! BLESS THE LORD oh my soul,the LORD who heals all my sickness. i went to a doctor LAST TIME in 1967 for a stuffy nose problem,I wasted my time and money!!!

LOL!!! ALL THE UNIVERSE AND LIFE IS PROOF OF GOD!! What kind fool needs more proof????????????? and you???====That man is a fool who says to himself, “There is no God!” Anyone who talks like that is warped and evil and cannot really be a good person at all.Psalm 14:1===Only a fool would say to himself, “There is no God.” And why does he say it? Because of his wicked heart, his dark and evil deeds. His life is corroded with sin. PSALM 53:1 and you???

This site debunks every argument you have

Morality is a cultural concept with a basis in evolutionary psychology and game theory. Species whose members were predisposed to cooperate were more likely to survive and pass on their genes. Reciprocacy, altruism and other so-called ‘moral’ characteristics are evident in many species. The neurochemical thought to regulate morality and empathy is oxytocin.

Religious texts are simply part of many early attempts to codify moral precepts. Secular law, flexible with the shifting moral zeitgeist, has long since superseded religion as a source of moral directives for the majority of developed societies. Secular ethics offers a number of competing moral frameworks which do not derive from a purported supernatural source.

Why there is no god

Just because something is perceived as having good consequences if it is true, does not actually make it true.

The fact that religiously free societies with a proportionally large number of atheists are generally more peaceful than otherwise is evidence this perception is incorrect.

And you christians are sick stupid fucks so don't claim the higher moral ground here, you racist war mongering pricks. :eusa_pray:

Morality is a cultural concept with a basis in evolutionary psychology and game theory. Species whose members were predisposed to cooperate were more likely to survive and pass on their genes. Reciprocacy, altruism and other so-called ‘moral’ characteristics are evident in many species. The neurochemical thought to regulate morality and empathy is oxytocin.

Religious texts are simply part of many early attempts to codify moral precepts. Secular law, flexible with the shifting moral zeitgeist, has long since superseded religion as a source of moral directives for the majority of developed societies. Secular ethics offers a number of competing moral frameworks which do not derive from a purported supernatural source.

ROFLMAO!!! Satan is a liar and the father of liars!!!and you????

YES!!! BLESS THE LORD oh my soul,the LORD who heals all my sickness. i went to a doctor LAST TIME in 1967 for a stuffy nose problem,I wasted my time and money!!!

I agree. Healthcare is a big business. They don't want to cure cancer. A lot of doctors are rich and that makes them into conservatives and then they start thinking with their wallets and not their brains.

I go to lifetime fitness and sit in the steamroom and I haven't got broncitus in years. Use to get it every year 2 times a year sometimes. All I needed was a good schvitz those money hungry fucks. I also saw them have my relative who had cancer come in just to see how they were fucking doing, then you'd get a $1000 bill for that visit. Bet if she didn't have great insurance they would have cut down on the appointments. So fuck them too I agree. Like I said, watch Dallas Buyers club. Big Pharma fights oversea drugs that are working because if they can't have the patent fuck you and die. And I bet a lot of them are christians too and believe in jesus. :eusa_pray:

ROFLMAO!!! Satan is a liar and the father of liars!!!and you????

Whatever church lady. What proof do you have of satan other than that sci fi book you call a bible? And where are these fucking preachers who can heal the sick. If they aren't in hospitals 7 days a week touching people them they are murderers. But I suspect they are just liars and con men.

And let me ask you can I do what I want in heaven? So what if I want to be a dick when I get to heaven like Satan did? do I have the choice? People say no more bad feelings or sin in heaven. If that is true, how did satan get jealous? Isn't that a sin? So can I go to heaven and be a dick like satan? And if even satan is burning in hell but he can come here why doesn't he stay here? If it isn't hot to him then what kind of punishment is that? Sounds like he got to be #2 and be a bad boy and have his own place. Tell me what heaven is like.

Forum List

Back