Why do White people in America only identify with the term American but nothing else?

So you have African Americans, Native Americans, Mexican Americans, or Asian Americans etc. But White people in America seems to be the outkast? Can someone help me understand this?

This is very simple.....Whites ASSIMILATED. They came here because they didn't want to be Irish, French, German, etc... and became AMERICANS .
So why do they still call themselves by hyphenated names?

They don't. Are there organizations/clubs, etc designated for "heritage" Americans? Sure. By and large the vast majority of whites don't go around calling themselves xxxx-American. Some do, but most don't and certainly not to the extent that blacks call themselves African American.
They do. If they didnt then they wouldnt name their clubs hyphenated names. We call ourselves African American for cultural and heritage reasons too. You are just focused on Blacks doing it because it bugs you. Too bad.

Yes, some do ... as I stated. But the vast majority doesn't. They have those clubs .... and? Most don't go around calling themselves xxxx-American.

You and others can call yourselves whatever you want. I think it's dumb. But hey, if it inflates your sense of self-worth, have it.

No you're not. If you're African you can't be American and vice versa.
Yeah I am. I'm Black/African American.

No, you're a black American.
That too.

No, just that.
In addition to African American.

If calling yourself something else makes you feel better, have at it. When you're walking down the street people see a black American. <shrug>

So you have African Americans, Native Americans, Mexican Americans, or Asian Americans etc. But White people in America seems to be the outkast? Can someone help me understand this?

This is very simple.....Whites ASSIMILATED. They came here because they didn't want to be Irish, French, German, etc... and became AMERICANS .

They don't. Are there organizations/clubs, etc designated for "heritage" Americans? Sure. By and large the vast majority of whites don't go around calling themselves xxxx-American. Some do, but most don't and certainly not to the extent that blacks call themselves African American.
They do. If they didnt then they wouldnt name their clubs hyphenated names. We call ourselves African American for cultural and heritage reasons too. You are just focused on Blacks doing it because it bugs you. Too bad.

Yes, some do ... as I stated. But the vast majority doesn't. They have those clubs .... and? Most don't go around calling themselves xxxx-American.

You and others can call yourselves whatever you want. I think it's dumb. But hey, if it inflates your sense of self-worth, have it.
Doesnt matter what you stated. You dont know what you are talking about. The majority of them do go around calling themselves a hyphenated name. I hear it at least 3-4 times a day. I already know we can call ourselves what we want. I wasnt asking for permission. I was letting you know thats what we will do regardless of how you feel about it.

Yeah I am. I'm Black/African American.

That too.

No, just that.

If calling yourself something else makes you feel better, have at it. When you're walking down the street people see a black American. <shrug>
I know they see a Black American. They also see a African American. If you dont believe me check the papers and take a poll and see what people would call me.

Doesnt matter what you stated. You dont know what you are talking about. The majority of them do go around calling themselves a hyphenated name. I hear it at least 3-4 times a day. I already know we can call ourselves what we want. I wasnt asking for permission. I was letting you know thats what we will do regardless of how you feel about it.

The vast majority of whites have no need to call themselves some convoluted "ethnic" American name. Others can see one's skin color and no one really gives a shit about someone else's lineage. Really. lol, but you keep on saying they do if it makes you feel better.

Wasn't giving you permission .... I said if it inflates your sense of self-worth then have at it. Doesn't matter to me what you call yourself.

The USA is supposed to be a melting pot. That means while you honor the culture that you came from, you should honor the culture of America even more. That means you should ignore color (we are all created equal are we not?) religion, sexual preference, anything that would serve to drive other peoples apart, were supposed to be embraced in the new country. That ideal has yet to be achieved because the elite figured out the best way to control the people is to keep them separate and at war with each other. "Divide
And Conquer".

The vast majority of whites have no need to call themselves some convoluted "ethnic" American name. Others can see one's skin color and no one really gives a shit about someone else's lineage. Really. lol, but you keep on saying they do if it makes you feel better.

Wasn't giving you permission .... I said if it inflates your sense of self-worth then have at it. Doesn't matter to me what you call yourself.
I never said the vast majority of whites had a need to call themselves ethnic American name.. I said thats what they do. I know you werent giving me permission because you cant. If it didnt matter you wouldnt waste your time trying to claim it inflates my self worth in an attempt to discourage me. You would simply say ok.

That too.

No, just that.

I know they see a Black American. They also see a African American. If you dont believe me check the papers and take a poll and see what people would call me.

Dude, they see a black guy. Seriously. Some might but most don't "also see" anything else. Seriously. They see a black guy cause you're a black guy. You walk down the street looking at people thinking "hey, there goes an Italian-American!"?

Where did you see me state that? Thats why I am a Black/African American

Right here

Yes I have everything to do with Africa. I'm a African in america.
Where does that say I am not an American citizen? I dont even see the word citizen in that response.
You said you're an African, check that, you said you're A African in america. To me, that means you're an African citizen living in America. But that's just me and most English speaking people.

The USA is supposed to be a melting pot. That means while you honor the culture that you came from, you should honor the culture of America even more. That means you should ignore color (we are all created equal are we not?) religion, sexual preference, anything that would serve to drive other peoples apart, were supposed to be embraced in the new country. That ideal has yet to be achieved because the elite figured out the best way to control the people is to keep them separate and at war with each other. "Divide
And Conquer".
Well said...

And Conquer".
That only works if people are dumb enough to say my group is superior. If they dont say that then there is no issue. You will never see everyone claiming they are simply american as long as the resources and access to opportunities are not evenly distributed. People that believe in the American theory are probably the first ones to get upset about AA and reparations. They actually think that pretending America has not caused economic and cultural injury to some is going to make people feel included.

Damned if I know. American is a moniker I have no interest in, Cubans, Canadians, Mexicans, Haitians, etc. have an equal claim to the title that has been usurped by folks in the United States.
As for me, I am a Texan, anything else is second rate and beneath notice.

Where did you see me state that? Thats why I am a Black/African American

Right here

Yes I have everything to do with Africa. I'm a African in america.
Where does that say I am not an American citizen? I dont even see the word citizen in that response.
You said you're an African, check that, you said you're A African in america. To me, that means you're an African citizen living in America. But that's just me and most English speaking people.
To you? Thats because you are stupid and you jump to conclusions. I never said I wasnt a citizen.

Dude, they see a black guy. Seriously. Some might but most don't "also see" anything else. Seriously. They see a black guy cause you're a black guy. You walk down the street looking at people thinking "hey, there goes an Italian-American!"?
I never said they didnt see a Black guy. It really doesnt matter because I'm not calling myself an African American for someone elses approval. I'm doing it because thats what I am. Even I dont go around thinking "hey I am a African American" or "hey I'm a Black guy". I'm saying if someone is asked what I am most would call me African American or Black American.

I never said the vast majority of whites had a need to call themselves ethnic American name.. I said thats what they do. I know you werent giving me permission because you cant. If it didnt matter you wouldnt waste your time trying to claim it inflates my self worth in an attempt to discourage me. You would simply say ok.

Some do, MOST don't. You can repeat yourself till the cows come home. I know what most white people refer to themselves as and it isn't some xxxx-American.

If you know you don't need my permission then why did you say this " I wasn't asking for permission." I wasn't giving it I was merely responding to your comment. Duh.

lol, yeah it doesn't make you feel better ... or different ... or whatever. You do it because you can. Whatever.

I'm bored so popped in here. Call yourself Daffy Duck if it makes you smile. Don't care.

Some do, MOST don't. You can repeat yourself till the cows come home. I know what most white people refer to themselves as and it isn't some xxxx-American.

If you know you don't need my permission then why did you say this " I wasn't asking for permission." I wasn't giving it I was merely responding to your comment. Duh.

lol, yeah it doesn't make you feel better ... or different ... or whatever. You do it because you can. Whatever.

I'm bored so popped in here. Call yourself Daffy Duck if it makes you smile. Don't care.
Most do call like I said before. You can claim all night they dont but I know better. Its obvious you care. Why I dont know.

No, just that.

I never said they didnt see a Black guy. It really doesnt matter because I'm not calling myself an African American for someone elses approval. I'm doing it because thats what I am.

Right. They also don't say to themselves "oh hey, I see a black African-American there walking across the street". They just see a black guy.

Never said you were doing it for someone else's approval.

Do you look at others and say "hey, there's a nice looking Greek-American over there"?

Forum List

Back