CDZ Why don't American, so called, "feminists" go after the hijab...an actual symbol of oppression....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess what?

Nobody but Conservative bigots care if a woman chooses to wear a hijab
Who has said there is something wrong with a woman choosing to wear a hijab?

Please point that out, and I will tell them that I disagree with them.
I didn't write the OP
The OP is about blatant hypocrisy, not fashion.
Where is the hypocrisy?

Feminists have bigger issues than headgear
I don't know if you're purposely avoiding the point or not.

This isn't about fashion. Holy crap, come on.
No...it is not about fashion

It is about conservative hatred of all things Muslim

I didn't write the OP
Where is the hypocrisy?

It kind of seems that way. A hijab is a hijab. It's not a burka, it's not different then that used by women of several other conservative religions in this country. The only difference is...it's Muslim. There are so many other things worth fighting - forced marriages, FGM, domestic abuse, underage marriages. But they garner little attention unless "Muslim" is part of it.

I didn't write the OP
Where is the hypocrisy?

It is? Wow! I didn't see that in the OP!

I thought it was about the rank hypocrisy of the Regressive Left, as they continue to spin and deflect and enable and attack for the most Regressive religion on the planet while constantly trying to change the subject to hide their hypocritical actions.

Go figure! Perceptions! Weird!

Well this thread has certainly declined into the usual broad brush group insults instead of solid discussion. It's like when someone starts throwing the race card around. Can't even tell what the topic is anymore.
I'm told it's about fashion.

That's it. Just fashion.

I'm told if one tries to broaden the discussion beyond either fashion or oppression - I am supporting the worst excesses of Islam and a whole lot of cultural crap that isn't even religious. In fact, that seems to be much of the last couple of pages this thread.
Well, I thought the core point was about the rank hypocrisy of people

Well...there certainly is a hypocrisy when feminists ignore the abuses that can occur in religions like Islam when they do occur.

And there is certainly a hypocrisy when those that hate all things Muslim ignore the same abuses that occur in other religions.

Like forcing women to cover their hair. If indeed that is abuse and not choice.

I didn't write the OP
Where is the hypocrisy?

It kind of seems that way. A hijab is a hijab. It's not a burka, it's not different then that used by women of several other conservative religions in this country. The only difference is...it's Muslim. There are so many other things worth fighting - forced marriages, FGM, domestic abuse, underage marriages. But they garner little attention unless "Muslim" is part of it.
Women in many other religions wear scarves

Why are conservatives outraged over Muslims?

Where is the hypocrisy?

Women in many other religions wear scarves

Hypocrisy.

Well this thread has certainly declined into the usual broad brush group insults instead of solid discussion. It's like when someone starts throwing the race card around. Can't even tell what the topic is anymore.

That's it. Just fashion.

I'm told if one tries to broaden the discussion beyond either fashion or oppression - I am supporting the worst excesses of Islam and a whole lot of cultural crap that isn't even religious. In fact, that seems to be much of the last couple of pages this thread.

Well...there certainly is a hypocrisy when feminists ignore the abuses that can occur in religions like Islam when they do occur.

And there is certainly a hypocrisy when those that hate all things Muslim ignore the same abuses that occur in other religions.

Muslim men wear beards

Where is your outrage!

That's it. Just fashion.

Muslim men wear beards

Where is your outrage!

I'm only outraged when Muslim women wear beards.

While, as you know, I'm not a conservative, I'll be happy to toss out a few ideas.

But first, tell me: Can you think of any reasons?

You left out the first part of his quote, which is what gives the second part it's point. Not very fair...:eusa_naughty:
Didn't think I had to. He knows what he said. I asked a direct question, he can handle it.

While, as you know, I'm not a conservative, I'll be happy to toss out a few ideas. If necessary.

But first, tell me: Can you think of any reasons?

Stand up for liberal values, and you will be called a conservative by regressives who hate true liberalism.

That's why I think the paradigm shift is complete. There is no way to be a liberal without being called conservative by the hypocrites (among all the other names).

Mostly bigotry

There you have it, folks. Support the systematic oppression of women born into Islamic culture or you will call them a bigot.

Good grief, what has happened to the left to explain how we have gone from the liberalism of the 60s and 70s to THIS.

Last edited:

I have never seen anybody defend women being abused in other religions. Just because you folks do it with Islam doesn't mean others are just like you in the way they operate.

To compare the systematic treatment of women in Islam to that of women in other religions is downright dishonest to begin with because the prevalence is simply not the same nor are the actions taken against the women.

I have never seen anybody defend women being abused in other religions. Just because you folks do it with Islam doesn't mean others are just like you in the way they operate.

To compare the systematic treatment of women in Islam to that of women in other religions is downright dishonest to begin with because the prevalence is simply not the same nor are the actions taken against the women.

Hijabs. We're talking about hijabs and head coverings. How it's unacceptable for Muslim women to choose it but not for women of other religions.

Hijabs. We're talking about hijabs and head coverings. How it's unacceptable for Muslim women to choose it but not for women of other religions.

You keep using the word "choose". When there are punishments inherent for not choosing, there is no real choice.

You keep using the word "choose". When there are punishments inherent for not choosing, there is no real choice.

Let's keep the argument to here in this country - comparing the US or western countries to, say, Saudi Arabia is apples and oranges.

Women have the right to choose in this country. Some choose to wear traditional religious garb some don't.

Is it always a free choice? Depends. There can be tremendous pressure exerted by family and community to conform and that isn't limited to traditional Muslim families. The pressure can extend to domestic violence. Not conforming can mean violence or a total loss of family, community and friends. But you're wrong in thinking it's only or mostly among Muslims. Any of the strongly patriarchal religious societies that dictate a subservient role to women, that isolates them, can increase the chances that it can occur.

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/one-in-four-jewish-women-suffer-abuse-in-the-home-1.21790
Sexual Abuse in the Amish Community
Biblical Battered Wife Syndrome: Christian Women and Domestic Violence
American Muslim Women and Domestic Violence

The last article is particularly interesting. It's on domestic violence (which is what much of this religious inspired violence on women for not submitting is) - that it is a problem for Muslim women. But it's not the hijab.

By and large though, women in our country do have that choice. So I would say - who are you to take that choice away from them?

Let's keep the argument to here in this country - comparing the US or western countries to, say, Saudi Arabia is apples and oranges.

Women have the right to choose in this country. Some choose to wear traditional religious garb some don't.

Is it always a free choice? Depends. There can be tremendous pressure exerted by family and community to conform and that isn't limited to traditional Muslim families. The pressure can extend to domestic violence. Not conforming can mean violence or a total loss of family, community and friends. But you're wrong in thinking it's only or mostly among Muslims. Any of the strongly patriarchal religious societies that dictate a subservient role to women, that isolates them, can increase the chances that it can occur.

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/one-in-four-jewish-women-suffer-abuse-in-the-home-1.21790

The last article is particularly interesting. It's on domestic violence (which is what much of this religious inspired violence on women for not submitting is) - that it is a problem for Muslim women. But it's not the hijab.

By and large though, women in our country do have that choice. So I would say - who are you to take that choice away from them?

Your calling it a choice knowing that it isn't is exactly the same as the slavery advocates of the 19th century using the model of the content house slave to justify the continuation of slavery.

Have you considered embracing liberalism, instead?

Your calling it a choice knowing that it isn't is exactly the same as the slavery advocates of the 19th century using the model of the content house slave to justify the continuation of slavery.

Have you considered embracing liberalism, instead?

So Orthodox Jewish women who choose to wear head coverings don't do it by choice? Amish women who choose to wear plain clothes and hair coverings don't do it by choice? Muslim women who choose to wear a hijab don't do it by choice? They are all "slaves"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back