Why I changed my mind on weed

I disagree.

I've known professionals, white collar types as well as blue collar, and tradesmen that have recreationally used pot longer than I've been alive with no adverse effects.

Granted they're not "pot heads", they don't sit around all day everyday packing bong after bong.

That's abuse.

Abusing ANYTHING is detrimental.

Jerking off too much probably is too, I just haven't reached that point yet.

Anecdotal evidence does not disprove a well known ( and a long time ago) scientific fact that pot is harmful to cognitive abilities.

Now, we've already agreed that there is no need in criminalization of pot usage and I am all for it's decriminalization.

We have also agreed that it should not be glorified.

What you and others "responsible users" are doing - IS glorification of pot, which is harmful as well.

It is the same as smoking cigarets ( except it has additional harm) - they are not illegal and criminal, but nobody denies they are EXTREMELY harmful to your health.

So is pot.
Plus as a substance which impairs cognitive function it has direct harmful effect on others.
Study: Marijuana Not Linked With Long Term Cognitive Impairment

Follow [MENTION=32814]Tim[/MENTION]EHealthland
The idea that “marijuana makes you dumb” has long been embodied in the stereotype of the slow, stupid stoner, seen in numerous Hollywood movies and TV comedies and going unquestioned by much of American culture. But a new study says no: the researchers followed nearly 2,000 young Australian adults for eight years and found that marijuana has little long-term effect on learning and memory

Read more: Study: Marijuana Not Linked With Long Term Cognitive Impairment | TIME.com

most people I know that smoke weed would not eat chips and ice cream and have never stolen anything in their life
You forget where I work.... I would say 80% of stoned people buy Ice Cream and Potato chips. Thats a observed fact. Most drive after smoking weed as well.

that's a myth from days of old...I could care less where you work

That is from what I see personally. You are the one following myth.

To all my "right wing" friends who are still against the idea of decriminalization, your arguements have their validity.

However we either stand for freedom and smaller gov't, or we're liberals.

If some stoner accidentally kills someone while they're stoned would you feel better if they were drunk? Or would you want to crush their sack just as hard?

I can only hope that the republicrat party marginalizes your position and the pro-decriminalization agenda gets advanced. It's yet another social issue that belongs in state legislatures, not an over powering federal enforcement endeavor.

It gives the feds way too much power to get into our lives.

You forget where I work.... I would say 80% of stoned people buy Ice Cream and Potato chips. Thats a observed fact. Most drive after smoking weed as well.

that's a myth from days of old...I could care less where you work

That is from what I see personally. You are the one following myth.

but your specialty seems to nothing but anecdotal stories unsubstantiated by any studies or statsics

To all my "right wing" friends who are still against the idea of decriminalization, your arguements have their validity.

Those are the same thing.

I think many people are not looking at this without some sort of bias. Let me make a disclaimer....I am not a pot smoker, nor do I advocate it. But I also do not condemn it. Here is why...

I know many people with huge physical issues, one man I am acquainted with was crushed from his waste down, by heavy machinery. He is in constant pain. He smokes a little weed daily for some sort of relief. As he said, the pain killers and all the chemicals that are in pain killers are extremely destructive to the kidneys and liver. Would you rather he smoke a little weed or ingest countless chemicals that gets filtered through his liver? Not counting the fact that weed is cheaper for him than all those drugs that is "legally" prescribed to him. He is a drug addict, but he is addicted to your so called pain killers. That do nothing more than shut down pain receptors in the brain. He has stopped taking his pain killers and has replaced it with a little weed. Yes he struggles with the addiction to the prescribed medicine. but with the help of a little weed, he may be able to live longer without liver failure or kidney dialysis

If pot is made legal, I am afraid that the FDA and other government tentacles will do to weed what they have done to our food as well as the cigarettes and just about everything else that we ingest or use on a daily basis. THAT is why I am against it being made legal.

Why is it that most people are cool with the pain killers that are pushed and doled out but weed is evil? I see it as something that is good for some people who have medical issues, But I also think that the government makes a ton of money on it being legal with regulations and probably someday controlled to the point that they place other chemicals in it for "the safety of the population"

I will also say that I have lost people due to a drunk driver, don't even get me started ion that :mad:
All your friend did was exchange one harmful drug for another and ether willfully or ignorantly buys into the false premise that because pot is from the ground it is more healthy. Please do not take personal offense just telling you what I see not deliberately insulting your friend who is not here to defend himself.

Pot is a gateway drug. Hell look what it did to this guy:

6a00d8341cc90353ef0105367e6525970b.jpg

Turned him into a raving idiot. A guy with absolutely no brain function. A guy who throws a ball like a girl.

It wasn't the pot,

It was a mix of genetic garbage that should have been aborted.

I cant even support that abortion..... :) I am prolife even if that means his scumbag pothead life.

I disagree.

I've known professionals, white collar types as well as blue collar, and tradesmen that have recreationally used pot longer than I've been alive with no adverse effects.

Granted they're not "pot heads", they don't sit around all day everyday packing bong after bong.

That's abuse.

Anecdotal evidence does not disprove a well known ( and a long time ago) scientific fact that pot is harmful to cognitive abilities.

Now, we've already agreed that there is no need in criminalization of pot usage and I am all for it's decriminalization.

What you and others "responsible users" are doing - IS glorification of pot, which is harmful as well.

It is the same as smoking cigarets ( except it has additional harm) - they are not illegal and criminal, but nobody denies they are EXTREMELY harmful to your health.

So is pot.
Plus as a substance which impairs cognitive function it has direct harmful effect on others.

I don't feel that I'm glorifying it. I'm merely pointing out that I don't believe the detrimintal effects are as accute as you believe.

You can also hold your breath long enough to impair cognitive function.

Regardless I'm glad that at least we agree that the current prohibition policy isn't working.

I disagree.

That's abuse.

So is pot.

I don't feel that I'm glorifying it. I'm merely pointing out that I don't believe the detrimintal effects are as accute as you believe.

You can also hold your breath long enough to impair cognitive function.

Regardless I'm glad that at least we agree that the current prohibition policy isn't working.

Nothing like two assholes battling it out to determine who the bigger asshole is. Get 'em tiger!

Pot is a gateway drug. Hell look what it did to this guy:

{Disgusting image of an oxygen thief removed}
Turned him into a raving idiot. A guy with absolutely no brain function. A guy who throws a ball like a girl.

It wasn't the pot,

It was a mix of genetic garbage that should have been aborted.

I cant even support that abortion..... :) I am prolife even if that means his scumbag pothead life.

I can appreciate that principled stance. I find the concept of abortion monstrous, but I can make exceptions for cases like that.

The VA issues me 13 types of medication for my severe pain and other medical problems, yet pot works better than all those pills.

If some stoner accidentally kills someone while they're stoned would you feel better if they were drunk? Or would you want to crush their sack just as hard?

I can only hope that the republicrat party marginalizes your position and the pro-decriminalization agenda gets advanced. It's yet another social issue that belongs in state legislatures, not an over powering federal enforcement endeavor.

It gives the feds way too much power to get into our lives.

While yes I would vote to keep Drugs illegal I have NEVER said pot should remain criminalized. Yet we are not ready for it to be decriminalized yet. Other then blood test which constitutionally you can refuse how do you prove someone is high and driving? That is a huge obstacle. Because once pot is made legal smelling of it or having paraphernalia will no longer be to be used to arrest suspected pothead driving a car.

Effects of chronic marijuana use on human cognition - Springer

The role of Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) in driver impairment and motor vehicle crashes has traditionally been established in experimental and epidemiological studies. Experimental studies have repeatedly shown that THC impairs cognition, psychomotor function and actual driving performance in a dose related manner. The degree of performance impairment observed in experimental studies after doses up to 300 μg/kg THC were equivalent to the impairing effect of an alcohol dose producing a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) ≥0.05 g/dl, the legal limit for driving under the influence in most European countries. Higher doses of THC, i.e. >300 μg/kg THC have not been systematically studied but can be predicted to produce even larger impairment. Detrimental effects of THC were more prominent in certain driving tasks than others. Highly automated behaviors, such as road tracking control, were more affected by THC as compared to more complex driving tasks requiring conscious control.
Dose related risk of motor vehicle crashes after cannabis use
Adverse health effects of non-medical cannabis use
Epidemiological, clinical, and laboratory studies have established an association between cannabis use and adverse outcomes. We focus on adverse health effects of greatest potential public health interest—that is, those that are most likely to occur and to affect a large number of cannabis users. The most probable adverse effects include a dependence syndrome, increased risk of motor vehicle crashes, impaired respiratory function, cardiovascular disease, and adverse effects of regular use on adolescent psychosocial development and mental health.

The Environment and Schizophrenia: The Role of Cannabis Use
Cannabis use is associated with poor outcome in existing schizophrenia and may precipitate psychosis in individuals with preexisting liability. To investigate the overall effect size and consistency of the association between cannabis and psychosis, a meta-analysis from prospective studies was carried out. The pooled odds ratio was 2.1 (95% CI: 1.7–2.5) and could not be explained by confounding or reverse causality. Evidence suggests that cannabis is a component cause in the development and prognosis of psychosis, in which mechanisms of gene-environment interaction are most likely to explain this association.

The authors examined neuropsychological functioning in 20 long-term (LT), 20 shorter term (ST) heavy frequent cannabis users, and 24 controls after abstinence for ≥24 hours prior to testing. LT users performed significantly worse on verbal memory and psychomotor speed. LT and ST users had a higher proportion of deficits on verbal fluency, verbal memory, attention, and psychomotor speed. Specific cognitive domains appear to deteriorate with increasing years of heavy frequent cannabis use. Neuropsychological deficits in long-term frequent cannabis users

Recent findings: Cannabis use in adolescence increases the risk of later schizophrenia-like psychoses, especially in genetically vulnerable individuals. Not surprisingly, patients already suffering from psychosis who use cannabis have a worse outcome than those who do not. These effects of cannabis may be consequent on its impact on the dopamine system. There is less evidence of cannabis playing an aetiological role in other mental disorders including depression, but there have been far fewer studies. Heavy cannabis use has also been shown to affect memory and learning performance, both in healthy individuals and in patients suffering from psychosis. Combined cognitive-behavioural therapy and motivational interviewing seems a promising psychological intervention to achieve a cessation of cannabis use in patients suffering from schizophrenia.
Cannabis use and psychiatric and cogitive disorders: the chi... : Current Opinion in Psychiatry
Summary: Further research is needed to understand the biological mechanisms underlying the effects of cannabis on mental health, but intervention strategies to help patients abstain should currently be implemented in psychiatric services, and public education campaigns should be directed at increasing awareness of the health risks of cannabis.
et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

Last edited:
So does pot and other illegal narcotics.

Ok. Please explain how I would harm someone by smoking a joint in my front yard.

You harm your family and friends you jackass. The problem with you potheads is your so selfish you never see the harm you do. I grew up with a brother who was a pot head like you and saw the havock it creates on us his family. Pot smokers are selfish pricks who only care about getting high. They dont even care about the danger they put others in when they ALWAYS drive to the store for ice cream and potato chips. They dont care about working while high and putting co workers in harm.... They dont care about stealing to feed their habit. Or just the embarrassment of acting like a total fucking retard. You know why liberals and children like drugs???? Cause it feeds their selfish ego.

Caution, Thantos is a known TROLL that likes to try to get people booted from the forum by "baiting" for responses that target his family.

As a conservative, employer, father, and Christian, I have no problem legalizing weed, leveling taxes on its sale and distribution, and taxes to cover medical treatment resulting from its use, however, we will retain our zero tolerance position in our work place. Two major hurdles need to be addressed, impairment testing on the road, governmental regulation, and enforcement in its production and distribution. As for those incarcerated prior to legalization, no amnesty or reduction in sentencing. If a person can't appreciate the beauty and environment of their existence then so be it.

The role of Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) in driver impairment and motor vehicle crashes has traditionally been established in experimental and epidemiological studies. Experimental studies have repeatedly shown that THC impairs cognition, psychomotor function and actual driving performance in a dose related manner. The degree of performance impairment observed in experimental studies after doses up to 300 μg/kg THC were equivalent to the impairing effect of an alcohol dose producing a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) ≥0.05 g/dl, the legal limit for driving under the influence in most European countries. Higher doses of THC, i.e. >300 μg/kg THC have not been systematically studied but can be predicted to produce even larger impairment. Detrimental effects of THC were more prominent in certain driving tasks than others. Highly automated behaviors, such as road tracking control, were more affected by THC as compared to more complex driving tasks requiring conscious control.
Epidemiological, clinical, and laboratory studies have established an association between cannabis use and adverse outcomes. We focus on adverse health effects of greatest potential public health interest—that is, those that are most likely to occur and to affect a large number of cannabis users. The most probable adverse effects include a dependence syndrome, increased risk of motor vehicle crashes, impaired respiratory function, cardiovascular disease, and adverse effects of regular use on adolescent psychosocial development and mental health.

Cannabis use is associated with poor outcome in existing schizophrenia and may precipitate psychosis in individuals with preexisting liability. To investigate the overall effect size and consistency of the association between cannabis and psychosis, a meta-analysis from prospective studies was carried out. The pooled odds ratio was 2.1 (95% CI: 1.7–2.5) and could not be explained by confounding or reverse causality. Evidence suggests that cannabis is a component cause in the development and prognosis of psychosis, in which mechanisms of gene-environment interaction are most likely to explain this association.

The authors examined neuropsychological functioning in 20 long-term (LT), 20 shorter term (ST) heavy frequent cannabis users, and 24 controls after abstinence for ≥24 hours prior to testing. LT users performed significantly worse on verbal memory and psychomotor speed. LT and ST users had a higher proportion of deficits on verbal fluency, verbal memory, attention, and psychomotor speed. Specific cognitive domains appear to deteriorate with increasing years of heavy frequent cannabis use. Neuropsychological deficits in long-term frequent cannabis users

Recent findings: Cannabis use in adolescence increases the risk of later schizophrenia-like psychoses, especially in genetically vulnerable individuals. Not surprisingly, patients already suffering from psychosis who use cannabis have a worse outcome than those who do not. These effects of cannabis may be consequent on its impact on the dopamine system. There is less evidence of cannabis playing an aetiological role in other mental disorders including depression, but there have been far fewer studies. Heavy cannabis use has also been shown to affect memory and learning performance, both in healthy individuals and in patients suffering from psychosis. Combined cognitive-behavioural therapy and motivational interviewing seems a promising psychological intervention to achieve a cessation of cannabis use in patients suffering from schizophrenia.
Cannabis use and psychiatric and cogitive disorders: the chi... : Current Opinion in Psychiatry
Summary: Further research is needed to understand the biological mechanisms underlying the effects of cannabis on mental health, but intervention strategies to help patients abstain should currently be implemented in psychiatric services, and public education campaigns should be directed at increasing awareness of the health risks of cannabis.

Those are the studies that were debunked by Dr Gupta in the OP. They are as worthless as the tobacco lobby "studies" that denied the link to cancer. You are free to believe whatever you like but the reality is that the majority of those anti-pot "studies" are nothing more than DEA commissioned propaganda.

blah blah blah.. and so does grilling food.

Forum List

Back