🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Why is gay marriage legal, but not polygamy?

Is the Mormon church going to be the next decision for the SC?

Thoughts?

LMAO!!!! Can I still do that? Polygamy IS illegal, you freak. The LDS Church outlawed it years ago. Bahahahahaaaaa........

So was same sex. The arguments for polygamy are the same as same sex, and I see no way the ruling would not also be the same, correct?

Thoughts?

LMAO!!!! Can I still do that? Polygamy IS illegal, you freak. The LDS Church outlawed it years ago. Bahahahahaaaaa........

So was same sex. The arguments for polygamy are the same as same sex, and I see no way the ruling would not also be the same, correct?

No, they are not. Polygamy has been practiced one way: men taking on multiple wives, and not the reverse. It discriminates against women, just like the 19th century laws in the U.S. forbade a woman to own property. Try again.

Thoughts?

No, they are not. Polygamy has been practiced one way: men taking on multiple wives, and not the reverse. It discriminates against women, just like the 19th century laws in the U.S. forbade a woman to own property. Try again.
That is nothing like the history. Look it up.

It can be made compatible. Why do you hate polygamy ?

It could be. We could, state by state, create a patchwork of brand new precedent to answer questions that are unique to polygamy. It would take decades, but its totally possible. However, the incompatibility with our marriage laws would be a logical reason to not recognize plural marriages if we chose to.

Where with same sex marriage, no such imcompatibility exists. Nor has existed since 2 person marriage was recognized as a joining of equals. The moment men and women were recognized as equals in a marriage.....same sex marriage was inevitable. As all the same rules apply.

So was same sex

Bigot

When men and women were not considered equals in marriage, you're right. There was an incompatibility with same sex marriage. As it is always a meeting of equals. Same sex marriage lacks the dominant, subordinate relationship that typified opposite sex marriage in the past.

However, when 2 person marriage become a meeting of equals with men and women having equal rights in marriage, that incompatibility disappeared. And our body of 2 person marriage law for opposite sex couples answers all the same questions as it does for same sex couples.

Our body of marriage law can't answer all the same questions for polygamy. And thus the incompatibility.

Polygamy is incompatible with our marriage laws. As you've already admitted. And that incompatibility would establish a valid justification for not incorporating polygamy.

Same sex marriage has been compatible with 2 person marriage from the moment we recognized men and women as equal partners. The second that happened....same sex marriage was inevitable. As it resolved the only incompatibility between same sex marriage and hetero marriage.

So was same sex

Bigot

I know, for a minute there I almost thought Skylar was the attorney for the traditional marriage people at the SCOTUS Hearing this last Spring! Gee Skylar, that reverse of position took you what, like 18 hours to accomplish after last Friday's insane and unworkable Ruling (Hobby Lobby freight train coming its way..)?

Here's Skylar's "solid legal position"...>> man/woman father/mother marriage < :fu:

But on just two people being married, suddenly we have an 18th Century prude on our hands > :bowdown: 2

And that's what you call a hypocritical bigot who was never about true marriage equality from day one. He was about promoting a cult instead that as yet doesn't want to advertise the "P" component because it migh spook the straights..and get this thing overturned..

Classic Liberal hypocrisy. Equality is only for them and on their terms. By all rights they should simply be ignored for this dogma they repeat over and over.

You don't even disagree with me. You recognize what I recognize: that polygamy is incompatible with our current marriage law. You also recognize that all the same rules for 2 person same sex marriage works with 2 person opposite sex marriage. And thus, no such incompatibility exists for same sex marriage.

I haven't actually taken a position if we *should* deny polygamy. I've said that if we chose to deny polygamy, we'd have a valid legal reason: our marriage laws are incompatible with it and can't answer the questions that arise under polygamy.

We already have a polygamous marriage, it is called the House of Congress.

They don't read the bills, they argue all the time, and they never have enough money to satisfy them.

Like any other broken or messed up marriage.

491976.jpg

Thoughts?

No, they aren't. As there is no question our current marriage laws can't answer regarding same sex marriage. While there are questions that arise under polygamy that our marriage laws can't answer.

And you've already admitted it, insisting we'd need to go outside marriage laws and into business law to find those answers. Demonstrating the fundamental incompatibility I've described. While you don't have to go outside of marriage law with same sex marriage. Every situation that arises in same sex marriage can be handled by our marriage laws.

This has been true since the moment men and women were considered equals in marriage. Since that moment, no incompatibility with same sex marriage has existed.

Why was polygamy ever illegal?

The LDS Church was pressured by the federal government to end polygamy after Utah acquired statehood. I don't remember what year but it's been decades. The thing is, polygamy is still practiced in Utah. There's a tremendous amount of private wealth in Utah, and much of it in the hands of the LDS Church, specifically the Quorum of Twelve who run the state, censor the media and keep their flock like mushrooms in a damp, dark cave...lots of manure piled to keep them happy and stupid.

It could be. We could, state by state, create a patchwork of brand new precedent to answer questions that are unique to polygamy. It would take decades, but its totally possible. However, the incompatibility with our marriage laws would be a logical reason to not recognize plural marriages if we chose to.

Where with same sex marriage, no such imcompatibility exists. Nor has existed since 2 person marriage was recognized as a joining of equals. The moment men and women were recognized as equals in a marriage.....same sex marriage was inevitable. As all the same rules apply.

Here is from PA just to pick a state that is kinda red/and blue

Marriage License in Pennsylvania
The Marriage License Bureau is part of the Clerk of the Orhpans' Court and Register of Wills. The following are the legal requirements for obtaining a marriage license in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

When to apply:
  • Minimum of three business days and/or up to a maximum of60 days prior to the marriage ceremony.
  • There is a three (business) day waiting period for issuance of the actual license.
Where to apply:
What is required:
  • Both applicants must be present to apply.
  • Applicants must be 18 years of age in order to apply for a marriage license. This rule applies to both male and female applicants. Applicants between 16-18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian to provide written consent to the marriage. Applicants under 16 years of age must have both the written approval of a judge of theOrphans' Court Division of the Common Pleas AND a parent or legal guardian given written consent.
  • Social Security Numbers are REQUIRED at the time of application.
  • Drivers license or Photo ID for applicants
  • Visas are required for citizens of another country

it would seem that there is no direct prohibition against polygamy except where it says "both." Interestingly enough if that were to be the argument then where it says the rule applies to male and female applicant that would seem to indicate a ban on gay marriage. So no there is no ban that would stand the SCOTUS standard concerning polygamy.

The LDS Church was pressured by the federal government to end polygamy after Utah acquired statehood. I don't remember what year but it's been decades. The thing is, polygamy is still practiced in Utah. There's a tremendous amount of private wealth in Utah, and much of it in the hands of the LDS Church, specifically the Quorum of Twelve who run the state, censor the media and keep their flock like mushrooms in a damp, dark cave...lots of manure piled to keep them happy and stupid.

More than a century, actually. The quorum of the 12 doesn't have much personal wealth. They rotate out fairly regularly. The church however owns lots of property in Utah. And for the most part pays taxes on all but the explicitly religious portions of it.

Religions owning land is pretty common. The single largest land owner in NYC for example...is the Catholic Church.

Didn't really answer my question.

Didn't really answer my question.

Sort of a stupid question. Why don't you Google something instead of being a mushroom?

The Marriage License Bureau is part of the Clerk of the Orhpans' Court and Register of Wills. The following are the legal requirements for obtaining a marriage license in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

When to apply:
  • Minimum of three business days and/or up to a maximum of60 days prior to the marriage ceremony.
  • There is a three (business) day waiting period for issuance of the actual license.
Where to apply:
What is required:
  • Applicants must be 18 years of age in order to apply for a marriage license. This rule applies to both male and female applicants. Applicants between 16-18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian to provide written consent to the marriage. Applicants under 16 years of age must have both the written approval of a judge of theOrphans' Court Division of the Common Pleas AND a parent or legal guardian given written consent.

it would seem that there is no direct prohibition against polygamy except where it says "both." Interestingly enough if that were to be the argument then where it says the rule applies to male and female applicant that would seem to indicate a ban on gay marriage. So no there is no ban that would stand the SCOTUS standard concerning polygamy.

Pennsylvania it is. So riddle me this: there's a 3 person marriage. One person wants out. Does that mean that the marriage of all 3 is dissolved? Or just the party leaving?

Using Pennsylvania marriage law, answer that question.

You'll find you can't. As Pennsylvania marriage law has no instance in their marriage law where one member of a marriage is divorced while the other is still married. And thus no answers to questions that arise under such a situation

More than a century, actually. The quorum of the 12 doesn't have much personal wealth. They rotate out fairly regularly.

No, they don't. Most of them have been there for over 20 years. Some for over 30 years.
And they get the seat by having $$$$$, not faith, all old white men. The youngest being 63. The LDS Church is the Alabama of the Rockies.

List of members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles LDS Church - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Dig deeper on these guys, none of them are even middle class.

Thoughts?

YOU'RE ARGUING TRADITION?

How damn cute.

You realize we have domestic abuse and hate crime legislation that takes care of all that.

How's it feel to be a bigot?

When to apply:
Where to apply:
What is required:

Pennsylvania it is. So riddle me this: there's a 3 person marriage. One person wants out. Does that mean that the marriage of all 3 is dissolved? Or just the party leaving?

You'll find you can't. As Pennsylvania marriage law has no instance in their marriage law where one member of a marriage is divorced while the other is still married. And thus no answers to questions that arise under such a situation

You assume a single license. There may be multiple.

Easy cheesy

When to apply:
Where to apply:
What is required:

Why is it beyond your comprehension that a law can be changed ? It happens all the time.

When to apply:
Where to apply:
What is required:

Simple, same as is done today, all parties agree, which in this case would be 2 as one against one. Or the courts would decide as is done when any divorce is contested.

PA law, as shown, has no provisions for same sex marriage yet here we are.

Forum List

Back