Why is there a lot of alcohol drinking in the Catholic church

guno

Gold Member
Mar 18, 2014
Not just social drinking but fall down drinking at catholic events

Take for instance the Catholic "wake", a dead stuffed body in full view and massive drinking with liquor bottles being passed around and people getting drunk, including their "priests"

I have been to other funerals of different religions but the catholics are a whole different story , never saw that at other funerals

and the boozing is not just at wakes either

Why do they do that?

Take for instance the Catholic "wake", a dead stuffed body in full view and massive drinking with liquor bottles being passed around and people getting drunk, including their "priests"

I have been to other funerals of different religions but the catholics are a whole different story , never saw that at other funerals

Why do they do that?

I have to say, that I have never seen this happen at a wake or a funeral. Only at weddings and wedding receptions. Lol.

An Irish friend tells me their wakes are quite a drunk fest, but I've never attended one. I think they're getting sloshed because they're sad their loved one/friend is gone.

Why do they do that?

are you quite sure that drinking is a BIG PART of catholic celebration? -----
there are lots of groups whose catholic members are NOT DRINKERS-----
It is a known fact that alcoholism is not at all prevalent amongst Italians ---
most of whom are catholics. Alcohol use is very prevalent amongst persons
suffering from psychic depression-----it is self-treatment for the PANGS of
the sickness-----'depression'. I will admit that lots of Irish persons (excluding oure very own cheerful lassie) are very depressed ------but even in that population
DRUNKENESS at wakes, weddings and Christmas parties does NOT AFFECT
a majority----------but------sometimes that person IS the BEST STORY TELLER.
One inebriated elderly Irish lady at the Christmas party DOES NOT MAKE
THE CONDITION AN EPIDEMIC

Why do they do that?

the sickness-----'depression'. I will admit that lots of Irish persons (excluding oure very own cheerful lassie) are very depressed ------but even in that population

I've attended wakes where alcohol was abundant and I've attended wakes that made prohibition look tame

It ids normal in a lot of cultures. You should see Korean wakes.

the jewish holiday of Purim it is customary to drink four glasses of wine during the service, + whatever at the reception.

Both Jewish and Japanese feature drinking whine during the weding service.

I went with my husband to a elementary catholic school reunion about 40 years ...There were tables of Hard alcohol ever you looked....I noticed because I couldn't drink .

Another time I took my son to a catholic elementary school fair many years ago, alcohol trucks everywhere..I could drink then and had a blast on those rides with my son..lol.

Things are changing now.

Why do they do that?

Yo, "WINE" has been around from the beginning!!!

"GTP"
images (9).jpg

Why do they do that?

I've attended wakes where alcohol was abundant and I've attended wakes that made prohibition look tame

no doubt-------jews drink after funerals (which is sorta a kind of wake-----all the people gather AFTER the funeral) -------in fact------giving a bit of alcohol to the
mourner is considered --------a "good deed"-----the stuff eases the pain in the heart---according to those smart guys who wrote the Talmud---and even SOLOMON SAID
so. No doubt SOMEONE gets drunk. ------Long ago when I was a kid I saw
my mom drunk------i a tragic thing that happened for her and my uncle---(her
sister's husband, made her a "screwdriver" (orange juice and vodka)-----I saw him do it-------it was like HALF A WHOLE BIG GLASS of vodka-------orange juice on top-----she drank the whole thing and could barely walk after that. The condition seemed to confuse her-----she did not know WHY it happened and giggled

Why do they do that?

Because they can?

Why do they do that?

Because they can?

sheeeesh -----some SOCIAL GROUPS do THEIR THING-----it has nothing
to do with THE CHURCH------(I mean the getting drunk part)

Why do they do that?

Because they can?

sheeeesh -----some SOCIAL GROUPS do THEIR THING-----it has nothing
to do with THE CHURCH------(I mean the getting drunk part)

Well no shit Sherlock.

Why do they do that?

I have to say, that I have never seen this happen at a wake or a funeral. Only at weddings and wedding receptions. Lol.

The Castros told him so while they took turns with him

Why do they do that?

I was raised Catholic and I've never seen what you're describing.

Why do they do that?

The same asked the Romans about Germanics before we founded the roman empire version 2. What kind of population drinks not much to much alcohol in the western world? Vodka is by the way the worst enemy of the Russians and the USA is a world champion in all forms of drugs.

Last edited:

Why do they do that?

I think it has more to do with culture. Some cultures view wakes as social events. Some cultures consider them rather somber affairs. Catholicism is world wide and............as it did in the beginning acclimated to whatever traditions were held in whatever part of the world. If you are Italian and then it is more than likely going to be somber. If you are Irish, Polish or Mexican Catholic then it is probably closer to a social event. When these people migrated to other countries they often pick up local customs as well.

I'm Irish, Polish and Italian, and I've never seen anyone get "drunk" at a wake or funeral except for my father, but he had a big drinking problem, and he refused to come inside. He sat outside the whole time.

Why do they do that?
guilty conscience.

Forum List

Back