why not make the minimum wage $30 an hour?

How about we just bring it to levels equivalent to what I used to make when I made $2 an hour in the 70s

That would be around $15 an hour today
you do realize that now, everyone above minimum wage will ask for a raise .....

Everyone is a great exaggeration. If min wage was increased I sure wouldn't be asking for a raise.
ok let me rephrase that......you do realize that now, a hell of a lot of people, above minimum wage will also ask for a raise .......hows that?....

Why shouldn't they?

Minimum wage increase will push up the low end pay scale. Long overdue
And those laid off as a result who cant find jobs because their skill level isnt worth 15/hr? Ohyeah, you dont give a shit about them.

Why? WHo gets a min wage job and expects to live on it?

Someone who is one half of a couple who need two incomes to get by, for starters.

Some young person who is trying to save for college, for another.

Conservatives chant.... You are not expected to support yourself on minimum wage

But you can't even do the basic things in life to get started on a minimum wage anymore. Pay for college, buy a car, pay for a small apartment
Buying a car and paying for college are not "basics", Nutjobber. There's your problem right there.

They are when you are starting out in life....which is what conservatives claim the minimum wage is for
Buying your own car? No, Nutjobber. Your own car is not a basic. Taking public transporation and car pooling are basic.

Coming from the same conservatives who oppose public transportation

Minimum wage used to provide a wage you could actually get started in life on. Pay for college. Buy a car. Get a small apartment

Now all it does is provide a low cost labor pool

Someone who is one half of a couple who need two incomes to get by, for starters.

Conservatives chant.... You are not expected to support yourself on minimum wage

But you can't even do the basic things in life to get started on a minimum wage anymore. Pay for college, buy a car, pay for a small apartment
Buying a car and paying for college are not "basics", Nutjobber. There's your problem right there.
It is if you want to compete...
If you're relying on a min wage job to put you through college you arent competing.

Competing for what? 1.00 an hour jobs in China?

How about we just bring it to levels equivalent to what I used to make when I made $2 an hour in the 70s

That would be around $15 an hour today

Everyone is a great exaggeration. If min wage was increased I sure wouldn't be asking for a raise.
ok let me rephrase that......you do realize that now, a hell of a lot of people, above minimum wage will also ask for a raise .......hows that?....

Why shouldn't they?

And those laid off as a result who cant find jobs because their skill level isnt worth 15/hr? Ohyeah, you dont give a shit about them.

If I only had a nickle for every time I have heard conservatives pull that one

Raising the minimum wage will lead to unemployment. In decades of minimum wage hikes, it hasn't happened

The market adjusts, just like it does for increases in the price of supplies, energy, taxes or real estate

They are when you are starting out in life....which is what conservatives claim the minimum wage is for
Buying your own car? No, Nutjobber. Your own car is not a basic. Taking public transporation and car pooling are basic.

Minimum wage used to provide a wage you could actually get started in life on. Pay for college. Buy a car. Get a small apartment

Min wage never did that.
Another fail by Nutjobber.

I say let's put a tariff on imported goods that makes up the difference in the wages they pay. We could get manufacturing jobs back here in a heartbeat.

Millions of Democrats who's retirement savings are heavily invested in corporations oppose giving up their profits to increase wages.

Why shouldn't they?

Raising the minimum wage will lead to unemployment. In decades of minimum wage hikes, it hasn't happened

The market adjusts, just like it does for increases in the price of supplies, energy, taxes or real estate
Oops. Doubtless you cant read this graph so its pointless. But it effectively refutes you.
If it has no effect on unemployment why is the rate of teen unemployment way in the double digits? Lemme guess: Bush shipped their jobs to China.
6a00d83451b14d69e20120a90ae8c5970b-400wi

Min wage never did that.

So if even the minimum wage can't do that, how does lower wages make things better?

Who should people have to work for new government mandated minimum wage of $500/hour? They'll spend it and boost the economy. In fact, they should be forced not to work, so they just spend, spend and spend

Who should people have to work for new government mandated minimum wage of $500/hour? They'll spend it and boost the economy. In fact, they should be forced not to work, so they just spend, spend and spend
Remember that food stamps and welfare are th drivers of the Obama economy.

Remember that food stamps and welfare are th drivers of the Obama economy.

They pay 150% of the "investment" according to Krugman and Pelosi

Min wage never did that.

Did when I was making minimum wage in the 70s ($2.10 an hour)

Why shouldn't they?

Oops. Doubtless you cant read this graph so its pointless. But it effectively refutes you.
If it has no effect on unemployment why is the rate of teen unemployment way in the double digits? Lemme guess: Bush shipped their jobs to China.

So teenage unemployment increased during one of this nation's most severe recessions?

Eureka...lol...

Why shouldn't they?

Deceptive Rabbi once again misrepresenting trends

Why don't you comment on the period from prior to 2008 when the economy crashed?

Min wage never did that.

Did when I was making minimum wage in the 70s ($2.10 an hour)
Bullshit. The average car was 3800. You would have made $364/mo. And that isnt take home either.

Why shouldn't they?

Deceptive Rabbi once again misrepresenting trends

Why don't you comment on the period from prior to 2008 when the economy crashed?
Nutjobber getting pwned again by trying to move goalposts.
Obama brought us an economic boom, right Nutjobber? How come his teenaged black brother are struggling with unemployment rates that look like Syria?

It is if you want to compete...
If you're relying on a min wage job to put you through college you arent competing.
What other job would you be able to get that will get you that college degree? There are only minimum wage jobs available for people, even if they have an AA degree, much less simply a high school diploma. How else are they supposed to pay for college?

yea I know again hardly rich, it don't take much if you have great credit and a few mortgages on your house.

How many mansions you see in small towns that have a Mickey D`s across America?

Where is these secrete homes with a Lamborghini in the drive way?

You don't see their workers with those thing either. In fact, you will probably find them on welfare

Most people that work in McDonalds are teens working for spending money.

More Than a Quarter of Fast-Food Workers Are Raising a Child - The Atlantic

Only 30 percent are teens

A few interesting stats:
  • Almost 40 percent of fast food workers are 25 or older.
  • More than 30 percent have at least some college experience.
  • More than a quarter are parents.
That says precisely nothing.
Add in retirees just looking for something to do, empty nest moms wanting to earn some spending money and getting back into the work force, and the number of people with actual responsibilities working min wage jobs is close to nil. and add too the fact that they stay at min wage for about 9 months before getting raises and your "argument" appears pitifully flawed.
no Crap, my old girlfriend won 36 million on the Illinois state lottery a few years back,

She bought a house on Daytona beach, she was so bored she went back to work making like $12 an hour ...

You Will never see her on stupid lottery winners
Why didn't she start a business and pay people to work for her?

Forum List

Back