Why only a "progressive" income tax?

Progressive income taxes are based on the subjective marginal utility analysis that basically says idiots in government can decide if you "need" all the money you make or not and that they are justified in taking the money they decide you don't "need"

Well all of you who love this type of blatantly unfair tax scheme I ask you why stop at income?

Why not use progressive tax schemes for everything that is taxed?

Let's say you own a 4 bedroom home but you and your wife have only 1 kid. You only "need" 2 bedrooms so some moron in your state government can decide that those 2 bedrooms must be taken from you and given to someone else and then inserts 2 people into your home because they "need" those rooms and you don't

What about a vacation home? Surely you don't "need" that if you only use it on occasion.

You and your wife have 2 cars and you have your dream car in the garage you don't need that classic 1969 GTO so why not let the government take it from you to give to someone who does "need" it

I bet that sounds like a great plan to some of you doesn't it?

If you want to argue against imaginary scenarios you need to find some imaginary people to take the other side?
A lefty talking about "imaginary" Classic.

Compared to the idiot in the thread who thinks the progressive income tax is Marxism ?

It is Marxism, idiot. It's one of the 10 planks of the Communist Manifesto.

To be Marxism it would have to conform to all 10 of the planks.

The Nazis believed as a core 'plank' in a very large, strong military. If you agree with that are you a Nazi, with no other considerations needed?

Progressive income taxes are based on the subjective marginal utility analysis that basically says idiots in government can decide if you "need" all the money you make or not and that they are justified in taking the money they decide you don't "need"

Well all of you who love this type of blatantly unfair tax scheme I ask you why stop at income?

Why not use progressive tax schemes for everything that is taxed?

Let's say you own a 4 bedroom home but you and your wife have only 1 kid. You only "need" 2 bedrooms so some moron in your state government can decide that those 2 bedrooms must be taken from you and given to someone else and then inserts 2 people into your home because they "need" those rooms and you don't

What about a vacation home? Surely you don't "need" that if you only use it on occasion.

You and your wife have 2 cars and you have your dream car in the garage you don't need that classic 1969 GTO so why not let the government take it from you to give to someone who does "need" it

I bet that sounds like a great plan to some of you doesn't it?

If you want to argue against imaginary scenarios you need to find some imaginary people to take the other side?

Compared to the idiot in the thread who thinks the progressive income tax is Marxism ?

The Nazis believed as a core 'plank' in a very large, strong military. If you agree with that are you a Nazi, with no other considerations needed?

No it doesn't, moron. It's a tenant of Marxism. Therefore it's Marxism.

Well, the rich use a shit ton of our resources, r&d lab investments, infrastructure, police, etc. Why should it be progressive?

I think you mean they "why shouldn't it be progressive." The answer is because the rich use "our resources" less than the poor. The rich provide their own security. Gasoline taxes and road taxes pay for the "infrastructure" they use, and most of the R&D government does is utterly useless. Corporations do almost all the research that really matters to make better products themselves.

Well, the rich use a shit ton of our resources, r&d lab investments, infrastructure, police, etc. Why should it be progressive?

I think you mean they "why shouldn't it be progressive." The answer is because the rich use "our resources" less than the poor. The rich provide their own security. Gasoline taxes and road taxes pay for the "infrastructure" they use, and most of the R&D government does is utterly useless. Corporations do almost all the research that really matters to make better products themselves.

Since you want no government, where will the gas and road taxes come from?

lol, goddam you're stupid.

How on earth do you get advocating for no government from that post?

Keep in mind the payroll tax is regressive, and also an income tax.

We should either get rid of the payroll tax or privatize it

That's an even dumber idea than your flat tax.
And in this entire thread you never once answered the question in the first post

So why shouldn't say sale taxes be progressive where the first of anything you buy is taxed less than each subsequent purchase?

For example because I know you can't come up with one of your own why shouldn't the sales tax on your 3rd flat screen TV be 3 times the tax you paid for your first?

Surely that 3rd TV is of less use to you than the first just like your 250 thousandth dollar is of less use to you than your first

Private companies produce gasoline, moron, and there's no reason they can't build roads and operate them.

lol, goddam you're stupid.

You have failed to produce any evidence to support that claim.

He's actually correct. I am an anarchist, but that post certainly didn't advocate anarchy.

Why? Perhaps to make up for regressive payroll taxes.
So adding more tax to middle level earners who buy a second TV is going to make up for them paying payroll taxes?

This thread is beyond me. Have no clue how buying a 2nd TV relates to anything about the progressive tax structure. I suggest folks thinking of buying a 2nd TV instead pick up a library card and a book for nothing.

He's a self-identified anarchist.

Why? Perhaps to make up for regressive payroll taxes.
So adding more tax to middle level earners who buy a second TV is going to make up for them paying payroll taxes?

This thread is beyond me. Have no clue how buying a 2nd TV relates to anything about the progressive tax structure. I suggest folks thinking of buying a 2nd TV instead pick up a library card and a book for nothing.

In the first post of the thread I posed the question

If a progressive tax is the best tax for income why not make all taxes progressive

So if we made the sales tax progressive instead of flat like it is now then if you bought multiple identical items the sales tax would rise on each additional item you buy

It's progressive so it's a good way to tax right?

Forum List

Back