Why should a hamburger flipper make the same as a highly skilled worker???

From Matt Walsh Blog on the Blaze....
I've excerpted a few paragraphs but there is so much more that the entire blog should be read!

Dear fast food workers,

It’s come to my attention that many of you, supposedly in 230 cities across the country, are walking out of your jobs today and protesting for $15 an hour. You earnestly believe — indeed, you’ve been led to this conclusion by pandering politicians and liberal pundits who possess neither the slightest grasp of the basic rules of economics nor even the faintest hint of integrity — that your entry level gig pushing buttons on a cash register at Taco Bell ought to earn you double the current federal minimum wage.

I’m aware, of course, that not all of you feel this way. Many of you might consider your position as Whopper Assembler to be rather a temporary situation, not a career path, and you plan on moving on and up not by holding a poster board with “Give me more money!” scrawled across it, but by working hard and being reliable. To be clear, I am not addressing the folks in this latter camp. They are doing what needs to be done, and I respect that.

Instead, I want to talk to those of you who actually consider yourselves entitled to close to a $29 thousand a year full time salary for doing a job that requires no skill, no expertise, and no education;
those who think a fry cook ought to earn an entry level income similar to a dental assistant;
those who insist the guy putting the lettuce on my Big Mac ought to make more than the Emergency Medical Technician who saves lives for a living; those who believe you should automatically be able to “live comfortably,” as if “comfort” is a human right.

To those in this category, I have a few things I need to say, for your own sake:

First, let me start with a story. It’s anecdotal, obviously, but then this whole #FightFor15 “movement” is based entirely on anecdotes.

I submit mine: I’m 28 years old now. I started working when I was about 15. I did hourly, customer service-type stuff at grocery stores, snowball stands, and pizza places, never making much more than the bare minimum at any of them.

When I was 20 I moved out of the house and got my first job in radio. Starting out as a rock DJ in Delaware, I made $17,000 a year, or about $8 an hour. I lived off of that, earning a few small raises through the years — having to eat fewer meals, buy fewer things, and, God forbid, even forgo cable and internet access in my apartment — right up to when I got married at 25.

Fast Food Workers You Don t Deserve 15 an Hour to Flip Burgers and That s OK TheBlaze.com

I am a big supporter of increasing the minimum wage to $10 per hour, but not to $15, although I could see that in some of the biggest cities like New York, San Francisco, and LA where the cost of living is much higher than other parts of the country.

Auditor - I assume you are capable of intelligent discussion without personal attacks and ridiculous diatribes, unlike most of the people who post here.

Why do you think $10 is appropriate? Have you considered the impact of such a change? What about the ripple effect?

The current minimum wage is substantially lower now than it has been in the past. Raising the minimum wage has not hurt job growth in the past. There is no legitimate reason to believe that it will now, unless of course we raise it to levels that make no sense at all. The funny thing about the minimum wage is that close to half of all states already have higher minimums than the federal minimum. On a side note, raising the minimum to $10 will move a lot of people who are currently receiving government assistance off of that assistance.

This is a great example of thinking one size fits all.
The raising of minimum in New York City to a level that is the same in 1. Mississippi where:
  • Cost of Living Index: 87.8
  • Grocery Index: 90.1
  • Housing Index: 72.4
  • Transportation Index: 95.4
  • Utilities Index: 86.6
  • Health Index: 91.3
  • Misc: 95.9
In Mississippi, you’re looking at a rent payment of around $875 (if you pay the state median). If you were to buy a home, low property taxes and lower-cost housing make Mississippi an affordable option. Zillow reports median home values are just over $112,000 and median list prices are currently $155,000. The median property tax rate is only .52 percent.
Read more: The 10 Least Expensive States to Live in the U.S.
So why is it necessary for a national minimum wage? It is not reasonable nor economically practical.
Again raising the minimum wage in Mississippi ALSO means that employers then raise prices and in doing so raises the cost of living.

Doesn't make any sense that forcing people out of business and costing them their jobs is really a smart move.

Things went downhill in the early 80's. Who was in charge then? It hasn't gotten any better. Plutocracy plain and simple. To argue against this is truly being an anti American idiot. Capitalism is now being used against the majority of the people. Its all deflected by this American cheerleading fake rah rah stuff.

Things went downhill in the early 80's. Who was in charge then? It hasn't gotten any better. Plutocracy plain and simple. To argue against this is truly being an anti American idiot. Capitalism is now being used against the majority of the people. Its all deflected by this American cheerleading fake rah rah stuff.

Where are your facts?
I don't believe you have any expertise to make such a comment.
Prove to me your opinion is based on facts...otherwise shut up!

I agree somewhat. The problem is that the people in the know take advantage of the people that are not in the know. Think about it. The vast majority of Americans go to work in order to make someone else wealthy. They have even been duped to the point that they feel bad if they dont have a job because they lack the knowledge to start a business for themselves.

That makes absolutely no sense at all ... you amaze me with your business naivete. You somehow think throwing around a bunch of terms, most of which you clearly don't understand (and use to your everlasting embarrassment), is supposed to paint you as an expert.

Guy, you rightwingers lost any ability to credibly argue "economics" after 2008.

2008 proved you just don't know what you are talking about.

We are discussing YOUR ignorance, not mine. You have disqualified yourself as a judge.

A true comrade arrives. :banana:

Not a comrade, just pointing out what we are witnessing. When the rules have been twisted to suit the mega rich, the middle and lower classes are called communists if they don't jump aboard and support it.

Not a comrade, just pointing out what we are witnessing. When the rules have been twisted to suit the mega rich, the middle and lower classes are called communists if they don't jump aboard and support it.
I am a communist though, and I know what you're talking about... facts are difficult to swallow for many people.

We are discussing YOUR ignorance, not mine. You have disqualified yourself as a judge.

Nope. 2008, we did everything you guys said and got the worst economic disaster since 1929.

The lack of depth of your knowledge of history is stunning ... I suggest that, instead of spouting talking points continuously, you should go back and actually study what happened in 2008. Then, you can come back here and apologize.

I've excerpted a few paragraphs but there is so much more that the entire blog should be read!

Dear fast food workers,

It’s come to my attention that many of you, supposedly in 230 cities across the country, are walking out of your jobs today and protesting for $15 an hour. You earnestly believe — indeed, you’ve been led to this conclusion by pandering politicians and liberal pundits who possess neither the slightest grasp of the basic rules of economics nor even the faintest hint of integrity — that your entry level gig pushing buttons on a cash register at Taco Bell ought to earn you double the current federal minimum wage.

I’m aware, of course, that not all of you feel this way. Many of you might consider your position as Whopper Assembler to be rather a temporary situation, not a career path, and you plan on moving on and up not by holding a poster board with “Give me more money!” scrawled across it, but by working hard and being reliable. To be clear, I am not addressing the folks in this latter camp. They are doing what needs to be done, and I respect that.

Instead, I want to talk to those of you who actually consider yourselves entitled to close to a $29 thousand a year full time salary for doing a job that requires no skill, no expertise, and no education;
those who think a fry cook ought to earn an entry level income similar to a dental assistant;
those who insist the guy putting the lettuce on my Big Mac ought to make more than the Emergency Medical Technician who saves lives for a living; those who believe you should automatically be able to “live comfortably,” as if “comfort” is a human right.

To those in this category, I have a few things I need to say, for your own sake:

First, let me start with a story. It’s anecdotal, obviously, but then this whole #FightFor15 “movement” is based entirely on anecdotes.

I submit mine: I’m 28 years old now. I started working when I was about 15. I did hourly, customer service-type stuff at grocery stores, snowball stands, and pizza places, never making much more than the bare minimum at any of them.

When I was 20 I moved out of the house and got my first job in radio. Starting out as a rock DJ in Delaware, I made $17,000 a year, or about $8 an hour. I lived off of that, earning a few small raises through the years — having to eat fewer meals, buy fewer things, and, God forbid, even forgo cable and internet access in my apartment — right up to when I got married at 25.

Fast Food Workers You Don t Deserve 15 an Hour to Flip Burgers and That s OK TheBlaze.com

I am a big supporter of increasing the minimum wage to $10 per hour, but not to $15, although I could see that in some of the biggest cities like New York, San Francisco, and LA where the cost of living is much higher than other parts of the country.

Auditor - I assume you are capable of intelligent discussion without personal attacks and ridiculous diatribes, unlike most of the people who post here.

Why do you think $10 is appropriate? Have you considered the impact of such a change? What about the ripple effect?

The current minimum wage is substantially lower now than it has been in the past. Raising the minimum wage has not hurt job growth in the past. There is no legitimate reason to believe that it will now, unless of course we raise it to levels that make no sense at all. The funny thing about the minimum wage is that close to half of all states already have higher minimums than the federal minimum. On a side note, raising the minimum to $10 will move a lot of people who are currently receiving government assistance off of that assistance.

The raising of minimum in New York City to a level that is the same in 1. Mississippi where:
In Mississippi, you’re looking at a rent payment of around $875 (if you pay the state median). If you were to buy a home, low property taxes and lower-cost housing make Mississippi an affordable option. Zillow reports median home values are just over $112,000 and median list prices are currently $155,000. The median property tax rate is only .52 percent.
So why is it necessary for a national minimum wage? It is not reasonable nor economically practical.
Again raising the minimum wage in Mississippi ALSO means that employers then raise prices and in doing so raises the cost of living.

Doesn't make any sense that forcing people out of business and costing them their jobs is really a smart move.

The federal minimum should be a starting point. Regions of the country with much higher cost of living indexes should increase their minimum on their own. We have seen this happening already.

The workers are the one busting their ass...Why the hell should all the riches go to people at the top?

Here's how this is going to work out: far less workers and far more robots.

Unskilled work that can be replaced by machines is going the way of the Dodo. Demanding more "riches" for it will only hasten the decline.

Want $15 an hour? Meet your replacement.

16jhg6h.jpg

LOL, Andrew Wilkow has been making this observation repeatedly.

Dear fast food workers,

I didn't read the post but know the topic and will say it's a flaw in the system of, "Supply and Demand". Pretty basic. That is Capitalism.

I know the concept is to let a few collect all the profit and not let the workers get any of it. Sounds smart.

If people are dumb enough to apply for being a burger flipper then then deserve low wages. Leave those jobs unfilled. Nobody apply. Everyone wins then. But no, people apply anyway. Dumb.

again, we have professors and airline pilots making low wages. Getting skills isn't the answer.
Disagree. You are paid for the worth you bring the person that pays you. The more skills you have the more you get paid.
Very true. Amazing to be hearing it from you, though.

Dear fast food workers,

It's States like Mississippi that DO NOT HAVE a State Minimum wage, that forced the federal government to issue one. If Mississippi and Alabama and a couple of other States who have never legislated a minimum wage in their State had done so, and not allowed employers in their States to pay their employees 10 cents an hour if they wished, or continued their slave wages so to speak, we would NOT have a Federal Mandated Minimum wage today.

I believe most States have a State minimum higher than the Federal Minimum wage or equal to it, but they have their own state law for it....

Mississippi does not, and allows employers to pay whatever they wish, if the Federal Minimum was not in place....thus the history of the FEDERAL minimum.

I know the concept is to let a few collect all the profit and not let the workers get any of it. Sounds smart.

By definition, profit is the portion of revenue reserved for the owners. Workers get paid wages. Why should they also get a cut of the profits? What are the owners entitled to?

Dear fast food workers,

It's States like Mississippi that DO NOT HAVE a State Minimum wage, that forced the federal government to issue one. If Mississippi and Alabama and a couple of other States who have never legislated a minimum wage in their State had done so, and not allowed employers in their States to pay their employees 10 cents an hour if they wished, or continued their slave wages so to speak, we would NOT have a Federal Mandated Minimum wage today.

I believe most States have a State minimum higher than the Federal Minimum wage or equal to it, but they have their own state law for it....

Mississippi does not, and allows employers to pay whatever they wish, if the Federal Minimum was not in place....thus the history of the FEDERAL minimum.

The federal government was "FORCED" to implement a minimum wage? That's just like the abusive husband who said his wife forced him to kill her because she insisted on leaving.

By definition, profit is the portion of revenue reserved for the owners. Workers get paid wages. Why should they also get a cut of the profits? What are the owners entitled to?

Only in the Leftisphere is a worker being screwed over by being paid the EXACT wage they agreed to.

Only in the Leftisphere is a worker being screwed over by being paid the EXACT wage they agreed to.

It's not your fault you don't understand the power of "We The People". It is by design.

The entire concept is, "should the team get paid or just a select few". You decided the profits should go to a select few instead of THOUSANDS. Welcome to American Poverty and a Depression and Mass Violence.

Forum List

Back