Why the GOP should continue to oppose gay marriage

The issue is a done deal

All that is left is for Conservatives to claim that they thought of it first

Yeah, just like global warming is a "done deal." The science is settled.

Gay marriage has never been approved by referendum in any state. In most cases it comes about because of some ruling by an unelected judge.

Matters of civil rights are not up tot the people

hmmmm . . . yeah they are. So-called "civil rights" are created by legislation. THey are therefore up to the people.

so the referendum is meaningless. 99% of the US population can oppose gay marriage but that doesn't make it Constitutional. Civil Rights are guaranteed by Constitutional authority. Period. There is no other argument. I wish people who claim to be Constitutionalists would at least take the time to actually understand how it works.

NO LAW CAN BE MADE THAT CONFLICTS WITH THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA REGARDLESS OF POPULAR SUPPORT OR LACK THEREOF.

Case closed. Next!

Marriage isn't mentioned in the Constitution, so it isn't a constitutional right. "Gay marriage" only becomes a "Civil Right" if the legislature or the voters approve it.

Show me the constitutional right to be married, not invented by some lawyer.

No, you show me where the constitution forbids it. We have a right to do anything unless there is a compelling reason for the government to deny it.

See the 10th Amendment: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
That doesn't mean what you think it means. No one can deny someone a right with out a compelling reason. Not the federal government. Not the state government. Not the people.

IF the libs/left/Democrats think this is going to be the big ticket draw for the in the coming elections

wailing about the war on women, homosexual marriage....I think they better think again

With the disapprovals of Obama and his party your little games like the war on women I don't think is going to cut it this time around for you

Homosexaul marriage is way down on the list of what the American people thinks is a major issue for them.... the same with GOBULL warming

but hey, you want to run with it because you sure can't stand on Obama's record and approvals

cut your own and your parties throats...PEOPLE are pissed how things have gone under Obama...You want to pretend they're not, then play your silly war on women, war on homosexuals, war war war war war games....I doubt you'll be able to dupe as many people this time around like Obama did...They have seen him unleash this Federal government upon them, from the IRS, to the BLM trying to seize a mans property with 200 armed Federal agents, to a new Government Entitlement laid on their backs when they could least afford it and against their will.... that cost TRILLIONS, was changed and delayed over 40 times and it has his name on it, the OscamCare and it's only signed up A MEASLY 6millon people while that same amount LOST THEIR POLICIES because of him...but go ahead you really have nothing else but to offer people free condoms and birth control pills.

I don't think Obama's running.

NO! Must be because of all those polls the RWrs keep posting here.

No, you show me where the constitution forbids it. We have a right to do anything unless there is a compelling reason for the government to deny it.

See the 10th Amendment: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
That doesn't mean what you think it means. No one can deny someone a right with out a compelling reason. Not the federal government. Not the state government. Not the people.

It's up to the people of the States to decide if a reason is compelling, not the federal courts because the feds have no authority over marriage. No male or female is being discriminated against, they have the same rights as any male or female.

I personally will never recognize two people of the same sex as a married couple.

And there are people who still don't recognize two people of different races as a married couple.

Your opinions don't matter. The law is what matters.

Yeah, but it's apples and oranges. Marriage has always meant two people of the OPPOSITE sex, race doesn't matter.

You're right though, my opinion doesn't matter in the eyes of the law.

Equal protection of the laws is

What does that have to with gay marriage?

Think about it a little bit and get back to me when you have a legitimate point to make

No smart-ass, explain yourself. Liberals love to invoke words and phrases without engaging what they actually mean, which is probably why you punted on my very simple question. So again, I ask: what does "equal protection" have to do with gay marriage.

Yeah, just like global warming is a "done deal." The science is settled.

Gay marriage has never been approved by referendum in any state. In most cases it comes about because of some ruling by an unelected judge.

hmmmm . . . yeah they are. So-called "civil rights" are created by legislation. THey are therefore up to the people.

so the referendum is meaningless. 99% of the US population can oppose gay marriage but that doesn't make it Constitutional. Civil Rights are guaranteed by Constitutional authority. Period. There is no other argument. I wish people who claim to be Constitutionalists would at least take the time to actually understand how it works.

NO LAW CAN BE MADE THAT CONFLICTS WITH THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA REGARDLESS OF POPULAR SUPPORT OR LACK THEREOF.

Case closed. Next!

Marriage isn't mentioned in the Constitution, so it isn't a constitutional right. "Gay marriage" only becomes a "Civil Right" if the legislature or the voters approve it.

Marriage isn't in the Constitution, but the requirement that government treat all law-abiding, tax-paying citizens equally under the law is....and if the government is handing out marriage certificates to those marrying the opposite gender, they are obligated to hand out marriage certificates to those marrying the same gender.

It's really that simple.

Case closed. Next!

Marriage isn't in the Constitution, but the requirement that government treat all law-abiding, tax-paying citizens equally under the law is....and if the government is handing out marriage certificates to those marrying the opposite gender, they are obligated to hand out marriage certificates to those marrying the same gender.

It's really that simple.

Marriage laws do treat all tax-paying citizens equally. A law that says a man can't marry another man is no different than a law that says he can't marry his sister. Constitutionally they are identical. Since all men are barred from marrying other men, they are all being treated equally.

The argument that they aren't is total bullshit. It's nothing more than petulant whining of people who want special treatment from the government.

Your argument would not withstand scrutiny. There can be no doubt that that is how many people thought in the Fifties when Blacks were also trying to get their civil and human rights and people resisted that and wanted for Rosa Parks to continue sitting in the back of the bus. In essence, they threw Black people under the bus. We see basically the very same thing happening with GLBT citizens. The fact of the matter is that with people voting in states against Gay marriage and GLBT civil rights, a majority simply cannot be given the green light to vote against a minority when it comes to their civil and human rights. To allow for that is not just wrong but it shows great prejudice and discrimination since they most likely don't understand that Gays and Lesbians are Citizens of this country too who work, pay their taxes, worship in church, have children or adopt, and vote just like everyone else. That is why fair-minded judge after judge in all states across the country where citizens are challenging bans to Gay marriage are ruling that the bans, many of which were enacted through voter approval, are unconstitutional as it does not afford Gay American Citizens Equality with regard to the Fourteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. To want to proceed with your penchant to marginalize Gay and Lesbian citizens just to exert an aire of prejudice and superiority over them is not only despicable and unacceptable but it is likewise Deplorable and Outrageous! That is why the GOP continues to lose in elections as the people of today are not buying the draconian excuses of the past Conservatives often use to justify their continued prejudice and discrimination against Gay people.

You're making a lot of accusations and stringing together several assumptions that don't quite add up, sir.

Wanting to maintain the definition of marriage as the union of a man and woman isn't about maintaining a status quo that is quite specifically discriminatory to gays and lesbians. It's about saying the complementarity of the sexes is the unique reason for the social, cultural, and legal institution of marriage. The discontent of same-sex couples not being recognized is their reason for wanting it to change, but that doesn't mean the only reason some people don't want it to change is to maintain that same discontent. If that makes any sense.

Legally enshrining racism into the law, and doing away with such laws, is not the same thing as not wanting to change the age-old definition of marriage. I don't think we should lightly conclude that those who hold that view seek to enshrine bigotry and animus of sexual minorities into the law.

The reason judges keep striking down marriage laws is because they don't want to be seen as upholding some antiquated notion in the face of a tide of social change, which is sort of the point of this thread. They're reading the tea leaves and determining that it's inevitable, which is why they're using non-legal reasoning such as "the equal dignity of same-sex couples" and "marry the person they love" in their decisions.

Gays don't bother me, I don't bother Gays, They live their life anyway they want, I live my life anyway I want. Everything works just fine too. If slipping on a couple of rings and saying "I Do" makes them feel better, then by all means, feel better. Isn't feeling good about yourself what this life is all about?

don't judge, be happy.

Case closed. Next!

It's really that simple.

Says who?

It's up to the people of the States to decide if a reason is compelling, not the federal courts because the feds have no authority over marriage. No male or female is being discriminated against, they have the same rights as any male or female.
uh, no

What does that have to with gay marriage?

Think about it a little bit and get back to me when you have a legitimate point to make

No smart-ass, explain yourself. Liberals love to invoke words and phrases without engaging what they actually mean, which is probably why you punted on my very simple question. So again, I ask: what does "equal protection" have to do with gay marriage.

The courts seem to have no problem deciding on it

It will cost you your "one man, one woman" argument

You had better come to grips with it

It's really that simple.

Marriage laws do treat all tax-paying citizens equally. A law that says a man can't marry another man is no different than a law that says he can't marry his sister. Constitutionally they are identical. Since all men are barred from marrying other men, they are all being treated equally.

The argument that they aren't is total bullshit. It's nothing more than petulant whining of people who want special treatment from the government.

Incest is illegal, homosexuality is not

That is where you lose

Nope...courts.

As it was before the 19th Amendment. A few exceptions in the "new" states, but women were women, and could not vote.......

As it was before the 19th Amendment. A few exceptions in the "new" states, but women were women, and could not vote.......

And? Three quarters of the states ratified didn't they, it was their choice, RIGHT?

Show me the constitutional right to be married, not invented by some lawyer.

Email SCOTUS so it knows how to rule.

Forum List

Back