🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Why ''Under God'' phrase added on the Pledge of Allegiance in U.S?

1954 and 1955 was a confusing time. As I recall, we had to start putting god into the pledge of allegiance, plus, due to the Supreme Court's "Brown Vs the Board of Education" decision, our Georgia state flag was changed to put the confederate Stars and Bars on it. I wasn't sure just which way the wind was blowing....
That was when this Jewish babe disagreed with the Christian "Lords Prayer". Then about 10 years later some atheist babe came along and did not like "God" at all.

You're not THAT old, OldLady . You must have been in preschool too back then.

So put your glasses on and start googling before you talk/type.

:D
What are you talking about, old man? What I said was accurate.

You are absolutely correct. Adding "under god" to the pledge was sort of like wearing a garlic necklace to ward off vampires. Commies were terrified of god.
I was being facetious, of course, with that comment, but part of the thinking WAS that communists wouldn't say it, therefore "outing" them.
Thank you for your confession.
Whatever floats your boat. LOL
Whatever blows your hair back Bebe !!

What are you talking about, old man? What I said was accurate.

You are absolutely correct. Adding "under god" to the pledge was sort of like wearing a garlic necklace to ward off vampires. Commies were terrified of god.
I wear a silver Catholic cross to ward off vampires and Protestant missionaries.

Well, as george Carlin used to say, "If Christ returned today, millions of Catholic school girls in the future would be wearing little silver electric chairs around their necks".
Sorry I don't get it.

And I am even an expert at Catholic School girls -- been dating them my whole life.

Think about it a while. You will.
Nope you lost me.

It incenses the left. That alone is worth it

Under God is in the pledge because American conservatives put religion ahead of country.
Just remember you are talking about Ike now -- the guy who beat Hitler.

We were fighting the Commies by then and the Red Scare included the belief that it was a religious war between Christians and atheists.

Ironically, now, Russia is the Trump cult's God.

It was explained to me that segregation was god's plan, which is why be put blacks in Africa. Apparently, god had not anticipated ships.

Under God is in the pledge because American conservatives put religion ahead of country.

We were fighting the Commies by then and the Red Scare included the belief that it was a religious war between Christians and atheists.

Really? You and your ilk are the ones obsessing over the Rooskies 24/7. Its all you talk about.

I wear a silver Catholic cross to ward off vampires and Protestant missionaries.

Well, as george Carlin used to say, "If Christ returned today, millions of Catholic school girls in the future would be wearing little silver electric chairs around their necks".
Sorry I don't get it.

And I am even an expert at Catholic School girls -- been dating them my whole life.

Nope you lost me.

It will hit you in the middle of the night.

Sorry I don't get it.

Nope you lost me.

It will hit you in the middle of the night.
I hope not. I need my beauty sleep.

So you agree with OldLady then ?!

Let it go or explain why you think "under God" had nothing to do with the communist scare?

Let it go or explain why you think "under God" had nothing to do with the communist scare?
Well you are asking me to second guess Ike then.

I don't believe Ike was ever afraid of the Russians.

Ike knew we could beat the Russians if we had to. Back then we had more bombers and more nukes than they did.

The Ruskies did not really become powerful and almost equal to the USA until the 1960's. And certainly NOT in the early 1950's.

Ergo Ike was still thinking about having beaten both Tojo and Adolf at the same time -- which was a miracle. And Normandy and Midway were the two biggest miracles.

It was part and parcel of McCarthyism, one of America's stupider moments, as now.

United States is a country which is completely based on secular principles. So, I just wonder about: why they added that phrase on the Pledge of Allegiance? Actually scientifically; humanity doesn't need any god, spirituel or holy thing in its life to be succesful. Because we know that these beliefs doesn't provide or help anything better.

In the future or currently is there an movement-act to remove that phrase ? Or Americans want to remove that ? (Also I wonder about same thing for the ''in god we trust'')

I remember in school when it was added to the pledge. No big deal, took a couple days to get used to. This is a Christian nation after all, like it or not.

Ike knew we could beat the Russians if we had to. Back then we had more bombers and more nukes than they did.

The Ruskies did not really become powerful and almost equal to the USA until the 1960's. And certainly NOT in the early 1950's.

Ergo Ike was still thinking about having beaten both Tojo and Adolf at the same time -- which was a miracle. And Normandy and Midway were the two biggest miracles.
In 1954, in response to the Communist threat of the times, President Eisenhower encouraged Congress to add the words "under God," creating the 31-word pledge we say today. Bellamy's daughter objected to this alteration.
The Pledge of Allegiance

There are as many articles explaining this as you wish to Google up. Don't be afraid to expand your understanding of the climate of that time.

In 1954, in response to the Communist threat of the times, President Eisenhower encouraged Congress to add the words "under God," creating the 31-word pledge we say today. Bellamy's daughter objected to this alteration.
The Pledge of Allegiance

There are as many articles explaining this as you wish to Google up. Don't be afraid to expand your understanding of the climate of that time.
There was no communist threat in 1954.

Not until 1961.

United States is a country which is completely based on secular principles. So, I just wonder about: why they added that phrase on the Pledge of Allegiance? Actually scientifically; humanity doesn't need any god, spirituel or holy thing in its life to be succesful. Because we know that these beliefs doesn't provide or help anything better.

In the future or currently is there an movement-act to remove that phrase ? Or Americans want to remove that ? (Also I wonder about same thing for the ''in god we trust'')
Per usual, no one knows so they're making stuff up.
It was added during the Commie scare in the 50's to weed out the communists among us. As we all know, communists shrivel and die if exposed to the word "God." Thank Uncle Joe McCarthy.

I love the way you lefties love to smear and attack anti-communists, but have no problem with actual communists who have committed mass murders, such as the Castros, or Che.

Per usual, no one knows so they're making stuff up.
It was added during the Commie scare in the 50's to weed out the communists among us. As we all know, communists shrivel and die if exposed to the word "God." Thank Uncle Joe McCarthy.

I love the way you lefties love to smear and attack anti-communists, but have no problem with actual communists who have committed mass murders, such as the Castros, or Che.
I love the way you make shit up.

Forum List

Back