Why would conservatives vote for DeSantis?

Before I can comment I need you to link me to sources how he took away individual rights in favor of the state in the ways you're speaking about.
Rather than link it all to sources (I will if you insist), I’ll state it since it has been in the news. But, I didn’t say what you just said: it’s using the power of the state.

The “don’t say gay” law Is one example.

Another is several laws on Demonstrations.

The bill redefines rioting and gives broad discretion to law enforcement in how to define it. The vagueness of these laws is deliberate, because when people don’t have a clear legal line, they can’t tell what is legal or not, and will be afraid to protest because it could be a felony.

Another law places limits on who can demonstrate or set up space in the Florida Capitol, requiring not just a permit, but that it be approved by special departments and that it “align with the state’s mission”.

Meanwhile, as DeSantis signs a bill to stop “Big Tech” from “censoring” free speech, be is also looking at using the government to censor freedom of the media by doing away the high bar for suing public figures. This opens all media to a ton of frivolous lawsuits and will ultimately stifle free expression especially for smaller entities without the resources to fight it.

These are just a few examples of legislation thart directly impacts basic rights.

Serious question. DeSantis has done more than any other candidate or recent president to increase the power of the state over individual rights and no one seems to care. Is conservative ideology changed in terms of using the state to enforce it’s desired social outcome?
Conservativism at its heart is about forcing religious and elitist crap down everyones throat. They're only small government when it comes to helping people and undermining human rights. Otherwise, there's little difference between them and the islamic state. They'd bring back slavery tomorrow, they'd force kids to work at 8 years old until they drop dead and would kill anyone that is gay for being gay.

The Schools pushing CRT and LQBT indoctrination are part of the state idiot. It's the state clamping down or rogue elements within the state.
That is largely a matter of perspective. If you are ok with using the power of the state to clamp down on “rogue elements” …are you going to be ok when Dems are next in power and they do the same to “rogue elements”?

How do you square this with the Constitutional right of free speech?

I am very pleased with the way he has run the state. Best Governor in my life time. He kept Florida from going bat shit crazy during the Pandemic and I like his attack on wokeness. He has done a lot of good things.

However, I didn't like that he signed the bill allowing the Internet tax. He ran on a platform of lower taxation and he allowed that filthy ass tax to be passed.

I am also disappointed that he is not pressuring the Legislature to pass Open Carry. He is being a chickenshit by saying that he will pas whatever the Legislature gives him. He will claim victory with not having to get a permit to carry but that missed the boat.

As far as being President he would be better than anyone else I can think of that has a chance of winning. Trump did a great job but the relentless attack by the Democrat scum has left him too damaged to win again. Too bad we let the Democrat filth get away with stealing the 2020 election and using the government to attack political opposition.

What I don't understand is why would anybody ever have voted for Joe Potatohead. A 46 year record of being wrong on every issue and a record of corruption that would even make the Clintons envious. a friggin idiot by all measurements and an absolute failure as President.
While (unsurprisingly) I disagree about DeSantis, I appreciate that up gave a thoughtful good answer :)

I think we're missing the point here.

He is using the power of the government, to regulate whatever social outcome is desired.

On one hand, Florida is pretty much all red, so the constituents must support it.

However, it does set a dangerous precedent in my opinion, for say, future democrats to do what they want, to achieve whatever social outcome is desired.
Fucking exactly! Why can't these morons understand that???

Why do left wing homos hate DeSantis?

Perhaps because DeSantis does not want left wing homos sexually assaulting kids in public schools???
Hmmm…I guess he’s ok with rightwing heterosexual assaulting kids in public schools then…somehow Ido not think this is a net gain.

The sad reality is that most people actually want authoritarians in power. DeSantis represents where the right is at the moment, ready to embrace authoritarianism to force their moral righteousness on the nation.

Just like the left wants to do.

We have lost the core concept of the nation, the individual.

The sad reality is that most people actually want authoritarians in power. DeSantis represents where the right is at the moment, ready to embrace authoritarianism to force their moral righteousness on the nation.

Just like the left wants to do.

We have lost the core concept of the nation, the individual.
Say it louder.

Forum List

Back