Will any Progressive answer this question?

In depth answers:

1: This promotion ad starts with the premise that we are not investing enough into education; however, statistics show and are well agreed by both liberals and conservatives that we spend more than any nation on earth per student, and get the worst return on that money as well.

But, if we look at the end of line 6, she says "well make better investments," so we'll give her the benefit of the doubt, and assume that her problem is that we don't invest CORRECTLY into education, instead of not investing enough.

2: She immediately identifies what she believes is the
Cause​
of the problem. She says in Line 1:
"beCause we have always had a private notion of our children."

Thus, she claims the Cause of the problem is that Americans believe in parental sovereignty over their children, unless someone can else can dispute what "private notion" means.

Then, in Line 2, she mocks and derides the idea of parental sovereignty:
[Sarcastic] 'Your kid is yours and totally your responsibility.'

Thus she believes that any person who believes that their kid is theirs, that they have sovereignty over their children, who believes that they are ultimately responsible for their child, is a person who should be derided.

3: Her solution to the problem is that we must declare that the government is sovereign over our children, not the parents, that parents may only have their children as a PRIVILEGE that is graciously extended to us by government, a privilege that can be revoked for any or no reason (such as teaching them something against the government's values).

We get this from Line 3 and Line 5:
"We haven't had a very collective notion of these are OUR children."

So, since we've translated "private notion" to "parental sovereignty," then we must translate "collective notion" to "government sovereignty." Although it is easy to see how "notion" is being used as euphemism for "sovereignty," how are we translating "collective" to "government?"

Well, she talks about "public education," with public education being the entire premise of her very short speech. Unless you know some form of public education that is NOT run by government, I cannot see how the word "collective" (which itself is often associated with Marxist ideology) can be construed to any other meaning.

Now let's investigate Line 5,
"and recognize that kids belong to WHOLE COMMUNITIES; "

First, we must draw our attention to the word "Community." So far, she has talked about Public Education, and thus, Government; she has also invoked the idea of "government sovereignty." People often confuse society and government, and will use the word "community" to mean either when they cannot decide which term [society or government] to use, or to conceal which one they actually mean.

In the words of Thomas Paine (Common Sense):
SOME writers have so confounded society with government, as to leave little or no distinction between them; whereas they are not only different, but have different origins. Society is produced by our wants, and government by our wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. The one encourages intercourse, the other creates distinctions. The first is a patron, the last a punisher.

Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil in its worst state an intolerable one;

However, we're not here to engage in discourse on Common Sense, I quoted this to show the difference between society and government.

So let's return to the word "Community," in Line 5.

If she is saying that children belong to the "Community," as in society, then it contradicts her own premise that government should have sovereignty, because society and government are separate entities.

Therefore, in order for her own thesis to make sense, the word Community must imply government, which solidifies the logical foundation of her argument. To say that she actually meant "society" would only serve to turn her speech into an incoherent mess, as the speech would be plagued with an illogical union of phrases.

Thus, we finally conclude that her "solution" is to transfer the sovereignty and absolute responsibility over children from the parents and families to the government. This doesn't mean that the Government is going to rush in and take your kids, it simply means that legally, the government is the final authority over your children.

Today, the government can only claim sovereignty over your children if you do something that warrants the removal of your sovereignty (custody), such as abusing your children. Only then may the government become involved, and via due process, the government must prove its case against you.

Her solution is to make government sovereign right from the start, and thus allow them to remove custody of your children for any and no reason, because the custody was already theirs to begin with.

Now, how does she plan to implement this solution? We need only look at Line 4:
"So part of it is that we have to BREAK through our kind-of private idea that kids belong to their parents, or kids belong to their families;"

This implies the following:
1) They must convince parents that the government knows better, because the government has "experts" in raising, teaching and nuturing your children. If they can convince us of this idea, then we will Consent to transfer sovereignty of our children over to government, without any resistance.

2) For parents who will not agree to this, then the sovereign relationship between mother and child must be BROKEN, by convincing the child to Consent to the transfer of Sovereignty from the parents to the Public Education (Government) system. This would be accomplished by teaching them these ideas while they are young and then fooling them into signing some sort of devious contract that would complete the transfer of sovereignty.

Finally, she says that once her solution is implemented, our failed investments will magically better themselves, because the government will now have sovereignty over your children, instead of the parents. The problem isn't the Government, it's You!
----------------------------
If you don't agree with my interpretation, ask yourselves the following:
Did she say that we weren't investing correctly into education? The obvious answer here is yes, however, I'll let you privately answer the rest of the questions.

Ok, since she says we're not investing correctly into Public Education, who does she blame the problem on, the government, or the people?

Furthermore, she never even said why our investments have failed. Has she mentioned that there are children whose schools are decrepit and dilapidated? Has she mentioned that there are children without desks? Without textbooks? With paper? Without computers? Without pens and pencils?

No, she says that the "people" are the problem, not government, and that government can fix the problem.

No, she never mentions that children are missing proper supplies, or that their educational facilities are either too small or not maintained correctly (or both), she says that YOU having the final authority over your children is the problem.

This thread asks you the question, this thread did not ask myself the question, it appears you are mortally frightened of using the material that MSNBC provided to you to answer the question.
Oh really, is that how this works?

What I'll be doing with this thread for the rest of the night: IGNORE

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ssxhRIdlYk]Heroes of Newerth SFX - Rage Quit - YouTube[/ame]​

This thread asks you the question, this thread did not ask myself the question, it appears you are mortally frightened of using the material that MSNBC provided to you to answer the question.
Oh really, is that how this works?

What I'll be doing with this thread for the rest of the night: IGNORE

lol - lie, deflect, and ignore the truth...

that will fix the problems with our Country...

The Progressives don't realize how much damage they are doing to their own brand. Any Google or Youtube search on this issue is 99.9% full of negative comments.

You Progressives should learn from this glorious quote of your Communist master, Lenin!

“The best way to control the opposition is to lead it ourselves.”

So seriously, follow his advice, and define this transcript yourselves, only then can you start the damage control process.

Hey moron, should churches also get to decide the 1,138 benefits, rights and protections provided on the basis of marital status in Federal law?

An Overview of Federal Rights and Protections Granted to Married Couples

You are a dunce.

No, and there should be no benefits based on those things. This is why our country should never have opened to the door to the Welfare state, because it gave the government the excuse to regulate our rights, dunce.

So, society should be survival of the fittest, no social programs, no safety net. Social Darwinism. You have some very powerful leaders throughout history who agree with your beliefs. Like Joseph Stalin.

You are not only a right wing authoritarian, you are an EXTREME right wing authoritarian, as far from a progressive as one can get. You are a lying sack of shit.

Who the hell cares what Melissa thinks or says? She is a talk show host just like Limbaugh, Hannity or O'Reilly. She is NOT a Progressive leader of any kind! This stupid thread is just an exercise in frivolity.
I am hereby placing the "IGNORED " sign on this one and moving on to better topics!

No, she is not a moron...

Melissa Victoria Harris-Perry is an American author, television host and a professor of political science at Tulane University. Prior to that, she was an associate professor of politics and African-American studies at Princeton University from 2006 to 2010 and taught political science at the University of Chicago from 1999 to 2005. wiki

One thing I think for sure; Melissa Perry has done made the dude calling himself "2nd Amendment bat shit crazy. Funny to watch his meltdown. Somebody tell him that Perry has no political office. No power.
Nothing but the same thing 2nd amendment has; an opinion.

And evidentally 2nd does not like her opinion. Get over it.

One thing I think for sure; Melissa Perry has done made the dude calling himself "2nd Amendment bat shit crazy. Funny to watch his meltdown. Somebody tell him that Perry has no political office. No power.

Maybe she has power over him, such that all his gametes "belong to" her.

"What is true of every member of the society, individually, is true of them all collectively; since the rights of the whole can be no more than the sum of the rights of the individuals." --Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 1789. ME 7:455, Papers 15:393

Let's try an approach that is totally adverse to 2nd amendment's right wing authoritarian approach to his questions. Let's try what intelligent liberals and progressives do; ask the person who said it.

WIB5wO3.jpg

Why caring for children is not just a parent’s job

5472d896444b22713d0edf8d9f433e2e
Melissa Harris-Perry, @mharrisperry
.........1:14 PM on 04/09/2013

My inbox began filling with hateful, personal attacks on Monday, apparently as a result of conservative reactions to a recent “Lean Forward” advertisement now airing on MSNBC, which you can view above. What I thought was an uncontroversial comment on my desire for Americans to see children as everyone’s responsibility has created a bit of a tempest in the right’s teapot. Allow me to double down.

One thing is for sure: I have no intention of apologizing for saying that our children, all of our children, are part of more than our households, they are part of our communities and deserve to have the care, attention, resources, respect and opportunities of those communities.

When the flood of vitriolic responses to the ad began, my first reaction was relief. I had spent the entire day grading papers and was relieved that since these children were not my responsibility, I could simply mail the students’ papers to their moms and dads to grade! But of course, that is a ridiculous notion. As a teacher, I have unique responsibilities to the students in my classroom at Tulane University, and I embrace those responsibilities. It is why I love my job.

Then I started asking myself where did I learn this lesson about our collective responsibility to children. So many answers quickly became evident.

I learned it from my mother who, long after her own kids were teens, volunteered on the non profit boards of day care centers that served under-resourced children.

I learned it from my father who, despite a demanding career and a large family of his own, always coached boys’ basketball teams in our town.

I learned it from my third-grade public school teacher, who gave me creative extra work and opened up her classroom to me after school so that I wouldn’t get bored and get in trouble.

I learned it from the men who volunteered as crossing guards in my neighborhood even if they don’t have kids in the schools.

I learned it from the conservative, Republican moms at my daughter’s elementary school, who gave her a ride home every day while I was recovering from surgery.

I learned it watching the parents of Newtown and Chicago as they call for gun control legislation to protect all the children of our communities.

I learn it from my elderly neighbors who never complain about paying property taxes that support our schools, even if they have no children in the schools today.

And I have learned it from other, more surprising sources as well. I find very little common ground with former President George W. Bush, but I certainly agree that no child should be left behind. And while I disagree with the policies he implemented under that banner, I wholeheartedly support his belief that we have a collective national interest in all children doing well.

I’ll even admit that despite being an unwavering advocate for women’s reproductive rights, I have learned this lesson from some of my most sincere, ethically motivated, pro-life colleagues. Those people who truly believe that the potential life inherent in a fetus is equivalent to the actualized life of an infant have argued that the community has a distinct interest in children no matter what the mother’s and father’s interests or needs. So while we come down on different sides of the choice issue, we agree that kids are not the property of their parents. Their lives matter to all of us.

I believe wholeheartedly, and without apology, that we have a collective responsibility to the children of our communities even if we did not conceive and bear them. Of course, parents can and should raise their children with their own values. But they should be able to do so in a community that provides safe places to play, quality food to eat, terrific schools to attend, and economic opportunities to support them. No individual household can do that alone. We have to build that world together.

So those of you who were alarmed by the ad can relax. I have no designs on taking your children. Please keep your kids! But I understand the fear.

We do live in a nation where slaveholders took the infants from the arms of my foremothers and sold them for their own profit. We do live in a nation where the government snatched American Indian children from their families and “re-educated” them by forbidding them to speak their language and practice their traditions.

But that is not what I was talking about, and you know it.

I venture to say that anyone and everyone should know full well that my message in that ad was a call to see ourselves as connected to a larger whole. I don’t want your kids, but I want them to live in safe neighborhoods. I want them to learn in enriching and dynamic classrooms. I want them to be healthy and well and free from fear. I want them to grow up to agree or disagree with me or with you and to have all the freedom and tools they need to express what they believe.

And no hateful thing that you say to me or about me will ever change that I want those things for your children.

MSNBC

Is this a good time to tell 2A that the ad has been responded to by progressives for days in other threads?

No it hasn't. Every progressive, on tv, on the blogs and on this forum board, have danced around the "ad". They've offered a myriad of explanations, but not a single one of these explanations actually includes the TRANSCRIPT/AD itself.

Here's a good example of what happens when a Democrat gets cornered on Live TV over this issue, and this guy eventually summoned the courage to DENOUNCE THE AD:

Last edited by a moderator:
When the flood of vitriolic responses to the ad began, my first reaction was relief. I had spent the entire day grading papers and was relieved that since these children were not my responsibility, I could simply mail the students’ papers to their moms and dads to grade! But of course, that is a ridiculous notion. As a teacher, I have unique responsibilities to the students in my classroom at Tulane University, and I embrace those responsibilities. It is why I love my job.

Do her students at Tulane University know that she is referring to them as "children."

These are ADULTS, some people their age are fighting overseas in COMBAT. She doesn't have responsibilities to her "children," she has an OBLIGATION because they are PAYING HER. This is what's wrong with you all, you think we're all children and the government is our big daddy.

Also, it's funny to see how quick you all "came out of hiding" to respond to this thread, once I posted my own answers to the question in Post #2.

Why can't you become responsible and answer the question yourself. The reason I withheld my answer to about six hours was to watch you all writhe in agony failing to answer the question, I knew the moment I posted my answer, you'd all attack my answer instead of providing your own.

But hey, you all attack my paycheck instead of providing your own, it's the only way you know how to survive.

Seriously, if you understood communism you would understand that there is NO difference between community and gov't. See, this is what is wrong with the left in America. They are so focused on stupid little issues like gay marriage that their politicians sneak communism into their parties platform and they can't even see it...

maybe if they knew what it looked like...

Japan is communist? Really?

You want to show me where I said that?

Ah, didn't think so.... Lie and deflect --- that is all you have on the left, because if you worked in reality --- you wouldn;t have a leg to stand on.

You are just a one issue voter --- and it's just your selfishness you vote for. Pathetic excuse for an American...

Right here shit-fer-brains: Seriously, if you understood communism you would understand that there is NO difference between community and gov't.

If Japan is a community-oriented country and there is NO difference between community and government, you are saying Japan is a communist country, which couldn't be further from the truth.

I'm sure you're too stupid to even understand what you wrote.

Last edited:
Japan is communist? Really?

You want to show me where I said that?

Ah, didn't think so.... Lie and deflect --- that is all you have on the left, because if you worked in reality --- you wouldn;t have a leg to stand on.

You are just a one issue voter --- and it's just your selfishness you vote for. Pathetic excuse for an American...

Right here shit-fer-brains: Seriously, if you understood communism you would understand that there is NO difference between community and gov't.

If Japan is a community-oriented country and there is NO difference between community and government, you are saying Japan is a communist country, which couldn't be further from the truth.

I'm sure you're too stupid to even understand what you wrote.

Remember guys, Sfcalifornia already ragequit a couple of pages back!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ssxhRIdlYk]Heroes of Newerth SFX - Rage Quit - YouTube[/ame]​

Not a single Progressive has actually defended this Promotion Ad using the material in the Promo ad! And they never will!

Also, it's funny to see how quick you all "came out of hiding" to respond to this thread, once I posted my own answers to the question in Post #2.

Why can't you become responsible and answer the question yourself. The reason I withheld my answer to about six hours was to watch you all writhe in agony failing to answer the question, I knew the moment I posted my answer, you'd all attack my answer instead of providing your own.

But hey, you all attack my paycheck instead of providing your own, it's the only way you know how to survive.

Nobody came out of hiding dingbat.

You're obviously fishing for certain answers in order for YOU to go on attack.

You have an agenda and we're not buying into it.

I'm not alone, or isolated in my reaction:

Everyone who isn't a Progressive Communist considers this a declaration of war coming from 24/7 Obama-TV.

And these are just a small fractions of the videos. The comments on these YouTube videos are 99.9% negative.

Wait until you actually go onto any non-Communist website and you'll see that shockwaves that this produces. You Progressives are so blind, you don't even realize the other side is up in arms. If Melissa Harris Perry actually held an Elected Office, this would make Mitt Romney's 47% media reaction a warm-up act.

Nobody came out of hiding dingbat.

You're obviously fishing for certain answers in order for YOU to go on attack.

You have an agenda and we're not buying into it.

Besides dumbfuck, you posted your answers before I even saw your thread.

How stupid can you be?

Is this a good time to tell 2A that the ad has been responded to by progressives for days in other threads?

No it hasn't. Every progressive, on tv, on the blogs and on this forum board, have danced around the "ad". They've offered a myriad of explanations, but not a single one of these explanations actually includes the TRANSCRIPT/AD itself.

Here's a good example of what happens when a Democrat gets cornered on Live TV over this issue, and this guy eventually summoned the courage to DENOUNCE THE AD:

You think tat guy is a "progressive"?

He is a FOX whipping boy. And you buy it.

Forum List

Back