Will Obama explain and justify to us why he bombs Syria BEFORE he does it?

The War Powers Resolution of 1973 (50 U.S.C. 1541-1548)[1] is a federal law intended to check the president's power to commit the United States to an armed conflict without the consent of Congress. The resolution was adopted in the form of a United States Congress joint resolution; this provides that the President can send U.S. armed forces into action abroad only by authorization of Congress or in case of "a national emergency created by attack upon the United States, its territories or possessions, or its armed forces."

The War Powers Resolution requires the President to notify Congress within 48 hours of committing armed forces to military action and forbids armed forces from remaining for more than 60 days, with a further 30 day withdrawal period, without an authorization of the use of military force or a declaration of war. The resolution was passed by two-thirds of Congress, overriding a presidential veto. The War Powers Resolution has been violated in the past by President Reagan in regards to the aid to the Contras in Nicaragua and by President Clinton in 1999, during the bombing campaign in Kosovo. All incidents have had congressional disapproval, but none have had any successful legal actions taken against the president for violations.[2][3] All presidents since 1973 have declared their belief that the act is unconstitutional. [4][5]

War Powers Resolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wiki I know but it was the quickest source.

So it appears people are right, unless we are directly attacked the President can not send forces into conflict without approval of Congress. The glaring problem is that the 2 times it was violated NOTHING was done about it.

Now lets assume Obama orders forces to engage with out Congressional authority... can any of you see the Senate doing anything against Obama for it?

With Dingy Harry Reid ensconced in the Big Senate Chair? Nope. He's as arrogant as Obama.

Of course we aren't doing the right thing. We are supporting terrorists. obama is on the same side as the people who flew planes into our buildings and killed the Americans in Benghazi.

Again... I understand...but a clear message must be sent to Syria that the use of WMD is not acceptable and should be punished in some way....otherwise the gates of hell are left open and Heaven only knows what other countries in the region, and perhaps all over the world, will do next.

I may be wrong, but that's how I feel at the moment.

Okay, say you are right a message must be sent that these weapons are not acceptable.

Who are you going to send the message to?

So far the evidence points to the terrorist rebels using those weapons.

Conservatives have no right to whine about the US attacking a country over WMD. You guys do get to shut up, however. You're welcome for this generosity.
Care to try to enforce that?

Your guys were also the ones whining and attacking a country over WMD....Now you get to do it again with a President you like. Your dishonesty is expected.

BTW....At least George Bush had a clear objective.

Obama is killing people over the color of an imaginary line.

Of course we aren't doing the right thing. We are supporting terrorists. obama is on the same side as the people who flew planes into our buildings and killed the Americans in Benghazi.

Again... I understand...but a clear message must be sent to Syria that the use of WMD is not acceptable and should be punished in some way....otherwise the gates of hell are left open and Heaven only knows what other countries in the region, and perhaps all over the world, will do next.

About time someone on here agrees with me.

About time someone on here agrees with me.

Seriously----Assad is no Neanderthal. He and everyone else who has it know the ropes. It's use around the world now days is SOOOOO rare that it's hardly worth talking about. If he is ever taken into custody by his enemies you can be assured he will be hung and then given a fair trial.

Don't the Iraq warmongers here want to "liberate" the millions of Syrian people?

lol, yeah, some of you almost forgot that was one of their other excuses for wanting to get 4000+ Americans needlessly killed.

I guess liberating the Middle East has lost its charm on the Right.

Its amazing to see lib compassion over wmd deaths while O is prez. While you're keeping score, 59,000 americans died in vietnam under lbj.

I opposed going into Iraq, going into Libya, escalating in Afghanistan, going into Syria.

I'm sure you've supported going into the Congo where millions have died in the last 20 years, right? Mr. compassion?

I think Obama wants to help Al Qaeda. He has consistently supported the Muslim brotherhood types since coming to office. All this while telling the world what a great religion Islam is.

Don't the Iraq warmongers here want to "liberate" the millions of Syrian people?

lol, yeah, some of you almost forgot that was one of their other excuses for wanting to get 4000+ Americans needlessly killed.

I guess liberating the Middle East has lost its charm on the Right.

Its amazing to see lib compassion over wmd deaths while O is prez. While you're keeping score, 59,000 americans died in vietnam under lbj.

I opposed going into Iraq, going into Libya, escalating in Afghanistan, going into Syria.

I'm sure you've supported going into the Congo where millions have died in the last 20 years, right? Mr. compassion?

I sorta thought Obama might be nice enough to help out his African brothers but nope.
Maybe someone outta cut loose with some gas .

Okay, say you are right a message must be sent that these weapons are not acceptable.

Who are you going to send the message to?

So far the evidence points to the terrorist rebels using those weapons.

It appears Obama disagrees with you...."We have concluded that the Syrian government in fact carried these out, and if that's so, then there need to be international consequences," Obama told "PBS Newshour" in a televised interview."

Obama makes case for punishing Syria over gas attack | Reuters

Now he changed his mind again.... at this late stage in the game ....he says he has not decided anything yet. !!!:mad:

This President can not make up his mind, this is a typical symptom of someone verging on the brink of a nervous breakdown!

This is all too much for him.....that is the truth!

Forum List

Back