Women now demanding paid menstrual leave!!!

Just give everyone 2 days a month for personal health reasons. This would be in addition to sick leave already earned. IMO Americans are forced to work to hard anyway. When I was looking 6 years ago I was offered a job that came with 10 total days off a year - sick or vacation. I told them NO of course and found a job with much better benefits. But I was lucky, some people may not have the options I had. It's bullshit.

I work for a pretty major corporation. We get 13 holidays and anywhere from 80 - 200 hours of vacation time per year (depending on years of service). We do not have "sick time" or "personal time".

We have "sick instances", which are defined as any time taken for medical/illness reasons. These range from single day to extended short/long term disability situations which are continuous. A sick instance extending more than 3 consdcutive working days requires a medical note and a phone call to our absence management system. Multiple sick instances in a 6 month period or more than two in a calendar year may be cause for discipline or in extreme cases, termination. You're essentially told.... "If you're out one day, stay out three because if you come back too soon and have to go out again you can be disciplined." Stupidest system I've ever seen, but it's what we've got.

My biggest concern with an issue like this is... where does it end? I've got severe spring allergies. If I don't show up to work every day I've got a pounding sinus headache or severe allergy symptome I might go 2 weeks without being at work some times in the spring. That will mean I no longer have a job.

2 days a month is 24 days a year. That's more than I currently get for vacation and holidays combined and I've been with this company for 8 years. That sort of thing is not happening with this company. I can guarantee it.

24 is a lot. I probably over exaggerated a little to make a point that people in general don't get enough time off.

24 is a lot. I probably over exaggerated a little to make a point that people in general don't get enough time off.

Even 12 days (1 day a month) is a lot. That's more time off than most people get for initial vacation (2 weeks). Companies do not maximize profits by paying people not to be at their desks. It's just that simple.

Basically, given what the world is, I don't think it is feasible to have for women only a paid leave for menstrual problems. The way women suffer varies widely: some women don't suffer at all, some suffer greatly. As well, there are ways to treat those who have serious problems with it, through diet and exercise for one thing. Perhaps the medical community needs to provide better treatment methods for women who suffer from this, something beyond taking Pamprin. And for those who do not benefit from those treatments, it is the same as other people who suffer from other illnesses because they are predisposed to do so. A blanket paid leave for menstrual problems is not something we need because not every woman suffers to the degree she can't work.

Or we could just remove women from the workforce and solve this issue permanently.

Those few who among the Millenials adopt the values of Matthew and Meathead will fail in the future economy, which will require employable social skills as well as professional skills.
I have never flipped burgers or asked if someone wanted fries to go with their meal, so you may be right about the social and professional skills needed. The millennials will grow up eventually and so might you someday.

We've seen and done this before in the 60s and 70s. There is an inevitability to some things.

Yes, there is, your nonsense will go away for awhile, then re-emerge several decades again down the line.

Just give everyone 2 days a month for personal health reasons. This would be in addition to sick leave already earned. IMO Americans are forced to work to hard anyway. When I was looking 6 years ago I was offered a job that came with 10 total days off a year - sick or vacation. I told them NO of course and found a job with much better benefits. But I was lucky, some people may not have the options I had. It's bullshit.

And what do you suppose the odds are that those 2 days for 'health reasons' in some months just happen to occur prior to or following a three-day holiday weekend such as the upcoming Memorial Day one?

If men had menstrual periods and PMS, there would be paid menstrual leave, and it would have been instigated ages ago, same for maternity leave.
Women wanted in the workplace so now men are wrong for inviting them into the workplace? Liberals are insane.

The thing is women can start their own businesses and give as many days off to anyone they want. Quit trying to run everyone's lives for them.

I've got a better idea. Give all the male employees leave while any woman employee is on her period.

Hey, it's not my fault you have a period, I shouldn't have to pay for it!

Women are pricing themselves out of the job market. Maternity leave is bad enough but now this. Pretty soon no one will hire a woman.

Huffington Post Endorses Paid 'Menstrual Leave' for Working Women

20 May 2014

HuffPost Live held a discussion about a current topic in employment: whether women deserve paid "menstrual leave."

Slate had already tackled the issue, with writer Katy Waldman dismissing it by saying, “… don’t offer us paid period leave. We’ll just spend it all taking self-pitying Buzzfeed quizzes.”

But when HuffPost Live interviewed Skepchick.org founder Rebecca Watson and Mikki Kendall, editor at Hood feminism.com, the women got positively cranky.

"Just by asking the question, 'Should women get paid menstruation leave?' biases the listener into saying, 'Oh, of course not,' because you're talking about special treatment," said Watson.

"But if you were to say, should men get paid time off if they were kicked in the testicles, yes, like if you have a medical problem, you should get to take time off," she added.

Of course, men typically don’t get kicked in the testicles every month, but who’s counting?

Maternity leave is bad enough?

Thanked by Rat in the Hat

Reminds me of a saying from my skate boarding days...

I cant believe women bitch about bleeding once a month,we bleed every day!

Ha! I would love for a man to go through a period or birth. I skate boarded when younger along with other sports, nothing compared to the first two days of a period or even close to child birth. Men are babies, they would have already had leave for periods if men had them.

If men had menstrual periods and PMS, there would be paid menstrual leave, and it would have been instigated ages ago, same for maternity leave.
Women wanted in the workplace so now men are wrong for inviting them into the workplace? Liberals are insane.

The thing is women can start their own businesses and give as many days off to anyone they want. Quit trying to run everyone's lives for them.

Inviting women? Ha! You funny.

Ha! I would love for a man to go through a period or birth. I skate boarded when younger along with other sports, nothing compared to the first two days of a period or even close to child birth. Men are babies, they would have already had leave for periods if men had them.

Men are only babies when sick. We dont cry over broken bones and serious lacerations requiring many stitches.:lol:

Men are only babies when sick. We dont cry over broken bones and serious lacerations requiring many stitches.:lol:

Sure ya don't!
I would love to see a man go through a c section and still take care of a newborn. Lol
And remember I have four brother and am raising a boy with sensory disorder ie high pain tolerance. :)

Sure ya don't!
I would love to see a man go through a c section and still take care of a newborn. Lol
And remember I have four brother and am raising a boy with sensory disorder ie high pain tolerance. :)

Lets see now.....broken foot,broken leg,broken arm cut wide open from navel to sternum,cut wide open from mid thigh to hip...and those are just the bad one's.
I know a thing or two about hurten,thats for certain.

Women just want to be paid to stay home...

^^^ loves women. :lol:

Damn right! Have one at home right now that has never had to work a regular job since she had our first son. She takes care of the youngest, the house, runs errands, and cooks the meals M-F. I cook Sat & Sun. I run the family business 24/7 365... Not to say that what she does is less than what I do...not at all..it's much more important. And she gets rewarded for being a good wife just as I feel like she is my reward for doing what I do, my kids are a reward also.

Does that sound like I HATE women?

I've got a better idea. Give all the male employees leave while any woman employee is on her period.

Hey, it's not my fault you have a period, I shouldn't have to pay for it!

This would actually be the "career woman's" Choice...tough it out and keep working. Better than sitting around in bed pissing & moaning about their period. And none of us evil men would be around to set them off.

Women just want to be paid to stay home...

^^^ loves women. :lol:

Damn right! Have one at home right now that has never had to work a regular job since she had our first son. She takes care of the youngest, the house, runs errands, and cooks the meals M-F. I cook Sat & Sun. I run the family business 24/7 365... Not to say that what she does is less than what I do...not at all..it's much more important. And she gets rewarded for being a good wife just as I feel like she is my reward for doing what I do, my kids are a reward also.

Does that sound like I HATE women?

Did I say you did?
You do seem like you dislike women in the workplace.

Forum List

Back