Women should dress modestly or expect to 'entice a rapist...'

Just pointing out sweetie that not everyone subscribes to your feminist tunnel vision narrative on the causes of rape.

Wow, and you picked LDS as the quintessential example???

Sorry, I have to go change my pants from laughing so hard. :)

What next, Islam? Please don't quote the Ayatollah, I know most of it by heart already.
You can throw the little green book down the sewer where it belongs.

Rape: power, anger, and sexuality. - PubMed - NCBI
Types of rape - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of Rape Myths
Rape: Power, anger and sexuality
http://www.middlebury.edu/media/view/240951/original/PredatoryNature.pdf

Should I go on?

Shot for shot, point for point. You really want to try to excuse rape and make excuses for the rapist?

Chum or puree? Your call

I'm not making any excuses for any rapist, they deserve to spend the rest of their lives in jail. I simply do not subscribe to your myopic views of the reasons rape occurs.
I think there are varying reasons, you don't, you're locked into your narrative.
End of story.

End of story? Don't think so. Why don't you tell us what these "varying reasons" are and how they are NOT related to control.

Have you ever heard the term "raging hormones" ? Do you think a 19 year old male at a party filled with female peers, is walking around the room thinking about ways he can get violent and show the females who is boss ?

I would say that in a situation like this, the male is most likely focusing on having sex, and that sex would be the motivating factor if he got out of control.

You are free to continue your one size fits all narrative, but then again you're not a male so you really cannot relate anyway.

Are you trying to convince us that rape is normal for men and is just a "sexual attraction" issue? Instead of "courting" her or being kind to her to try to get her like him, raping her is a logical step? No, these men are mentally and socially deficient.
I think DD has mixed up the issue. I agree there are different reason for sex but rape has only one. The attempt to pretend sex and rape is the same is what tipped me off. Rape is about power even if it is a natural instinct some men have. Its well documented that men from conquering armies typically kill the men and rape the women. Is it instinct? Could be. That doesnt make it any less about power.

The Myth that Rape is About Power

September 3, 2014 by Nathaniel

Myth: Rape is caused by lust or uncontrollable sexual urges and the need for sexual gratification.
Fact: Rape is an act of physical violence and domination that is not motivated by sexual gratification.
(Counseling Center at Roger Williams University)

The idea that rape is about power, and not about sex, is one of those facts that everyone knows. Sort of like everyone knows that humans only use 10% of their brain capacity. In other words: it’s totally and completely wrong but people keep saying it anyway.

The urban legend about folks using only 10% of their brain may be annoying1, but as a general rule it doesn’t get anyone hurt. Misdiagnosing the cause of rape can lead to bad policies, confusion, and more rape, however. It’s not just an annoyance. It’s serious and worth getting right. Unfortunately, as is so often the case, politics gets in the way.

The original source of the idea that sexual assault is about violence and power instead of sex or lust doesn’t come from a scientist or an academic study.2 It comes from a feminist writer named Susan Brownmiller who invented the theory pretty much from scratch for her 1975 bookAgainst Our Will: Men, Women, and Rape.

According to Brownmiller, rape is “a conscious process of intimidation by which all men keep all women in a state of fear.” There is some validity to the idea that the consequence of widespread rape and sexual assault is a ubiquitous power imbalance between men and women in society, and that in that sense even men who never sexually assault women might be said to benefit from rape, but the contention that men consciously engage in rape for the purpose of control (to the exclusion of sexual gratification) never made much sense at all.

In a sane world, Brownmiller’s theory would have been very short lived. This is because an actual scientist stepped in with a direct rebuttal just four years later, in 1979. The book was called The Evolution of Human Sexuality and it was written by the anthropologist Donald Symons. It is no coincidence that Symons wrote from a scientific rather than a political perspective, and his book was widely heralded by some of the greatest social scientists of the 20th century, including Richard Posner, Paul R. Ehrlich, and Steven Pinker.3Symons’ thesis was very simple and aligned with common sense: he saw rape as being primarily about the satisfaction of sexual lust.4 In particular, he used evidence to document that:

Victims, as a class, were most likely to be young physically attractive women (as opposed to older, more successful career women). On the other hand, convicted rapists were disproportionately young disadvantaged men whose low social status made them undesirable as dating partners, or husbands. (Summary from Psychology Today)

The nature of sex and sexual violence in society has changed significantly since the 1970s, but continuing research cements Symons’ central claim that rape is a way for men to get access to sex that they can’t get in other ways.

For example, I recently came across another stark confirmation of this in the paperDecriminalizing Indoor Prostitution: Implications for Sexual Violence and Public Health. In it, researchers Scott Cunningham and Manisha Shah found a simple and direct correlation between legalized prostitution and rape in Rhode Island. The state unintentionally legalized prostitution in 2003 an then recriminalized it in 2009.5 After prostitution was legalized, the sex market increased in size and rape (overall, across the entire state) declined by 31%. When prostitution was criminalized again in 2009, the incidence of rape went back up. As Jason Kerwin summarizes:

Rape in the LDS church. This is your source?
A group that believes in plural marriage an children becoming brides?

and you want to be taken seriously?

Just pointing out sweetie that not everyone subscribes to your feminist tunnel vision narrative on the causes of rape.

What next, Islam? Please don't quote the Ayatollah, I know most of it by heart already.

List of Rape Myths

Should I go on?

Shot for shot, point for point. You really want to try to excuse rape and make excuses for the rapist?

Chum or puree? Your call

I'm not making any excuses for any rapist, they deserve to spend the rest of their lives in jail. I simply do not subscribe to your myopic views of the reasons rape occurs.
I think there are varying reasons, you don't, you're locked into your narrative.
End of story.

I think there can be varied reasons that lead up to it. The final act is based on intimidation and power.
I dont think the average/sober human is that out of control.

If you don't want people to think you are easy or a slut, dress conservatively.
Rape - that's another story.

List of Rape Myths

Should I go on?

Chum or puree? Your call

End of story.

End of story? Don't think so. Why don't you tell us what these "varying reasons" are and how they are NOT related to control.

Have you ever heard the term "raging hormones" ? Do you think a 19 year old male at a party filled with female peers, is walking around the room thinking about ways he can get violent and show the females who is boss ?

I would say that in a situation like this, the male is most likely focusing on having sex, and that sex would be the motivating factor if he got out of control.

You are free to continue your one size fits all narrative, but then again you're not a male so you really cannot relate anyway.

Are you trying to convince us that rape is normal for men and is just a "sexual attraction" issue? Instead of "courting" her or being kind to her to try to get her like him, raping her is a logical step? No, these men are mentally and socially deficient.
I think DD has mixed up the issue. I agree there are different reason for sex but rape has only one. The attempt to pretend sex and rape is the same is what tipped me off. Rape is about power even if it is a natural instinct some men have. Its well documented that men from conquering armies typically kill the men and rape the women. Is it instinct? Could be. That doesnt make it any less about power.

And usually those rapes related to war have nothing to do with sexual attraction. Obviously. I think you are right that some men are confusing normal male sexual desire with a desire to rape and hurt someone. I mean, I don't doubt that some guys look at some women and think they wish they could have those women. Usually, they will try to court those women, and if those women refuse them, they will move on. It is the sick mind that wants to rape woman. It is definitely about power and control over that woman even if he IS sexually attracted to her.

That's how most women (younger ones anyways) dress nowadays. You are not going to change that. And it does not mean a person is a "slut" either. You are a slut based on your ACTIONS. ;)

Depends on the setting and your mind set. There are tribes in South America and Africa where women walk around naked or almost naked and they are not thought of as sluts. In the Mexican culture the women dress extremely provocatively and no one calls them a slut.

I suppose that, if some posters are to be believed, a guy could appear before the judge and plead, '"Not Guilty", your honor. She was dressed provocatively, and my raging hormones were out of control."

Depends on the setting and your mind set. There are tribes in South America and Africa where women walk around naked or almost naked and they are not thought of as sluts. In the Mexican culture the women dress extremely provocatively and no one calls them a slut.

Carnivale!!! It is actually a "religious" celebration. Lol. :D

Carnival-600x450.jpg

Carnival-600x450.jpg
Thats has to be what heaven is like. :laugh:

You mean the scientifically established facts that our police, courts, and mental health experts rely on? Actual credible studies widely trusted? You call that "feminist tunnel vision narrative"? You don't sound kooky at all!
Kooky or not, he kind of sounds like he doesn't much like women.

I find a lot of conservative men (especially the so-called "religious" ones) do not really like women who do not act like children. They want a woman to be barefoot in the kitchen and having babies. Any woman who does not follow that narrative is a "feminazi." :D Lol.

It can be true...and maybe in your experience.
....still a very bigoted comment.

I thought bigotry was frowned upon :dunno:

Carnival-600x450.jpg
Careful. Some of the guys on this thread will get rapey just looking at that.

Well we just had several guys on this thread admit that they might feel rapey if they see women barely dressed, one of them disturbingly enough said he was a father. And now you're posting pictures of half naked women? Now they won't be able to control their urges and will have to go out and rape someone. Good work! :cranky:

List of Rape Myths

Should I go on?

Chum or puree? Your call

End of story.

Raging hormone? Really? So a woman during that time of the month can be excused for waking into a china shop and breaking everything in the place and not be held responsible?

Yes, hormones go up and down. Yes, people get angry for seemingly little or no reason, but we have to learn to not act out because of them. You must ascribe to the Twinkie defense.

Why if all boys/men go through 'raging hormones' doesn't every man turn into a rapist?

Does it smell like a pig sty in here? Where are the shovels?

September 3, 2014 by Nathaniel

Myth: Rape is caused by lust or uncontrollable sexual urges and the need for sexual gratification.
Fact: Rape is an act of physical violence and domination that is not motivated by sexual gratification.
(Counseling Center at Roger Williams University)

The idea that rape is about power, and not about sex, is one of those facts that everyone knows. Sort of like everyone knows that humans only use 10% of their brain capacity. In other words: it’s totally and completely wrong but people keep saying it anyway.

The urban legend about folks using only 10% of their brain may be annoying1, but as a general rule it doesn’t get anyone hurt. Misdiagnosing the cause of rape can lead to bad policies, confusion, and more rape, however. It’s not just an annoyance. It’s serious and worth getting right. Unfortunately, as is so often the case, politics gets in the way.

The original source of the idea that sexual assault is about violence and power instead of sex or lust doesn’t come from a scientist or an academic study.2 It comes from a feminist writer named Susan Brownmiller who invented the theory pretty much from scratch for her 1975 bookAgainst Our Will: Men, Women, and Rape.

According to Brownmiller, rape is “a conscious process of intimidation by which all men keep all women in a state of fear.” There is some validity to the idea that the consequence of widespread rape and sexual assault is a ubiquitous power imbalance between men and women in society, and that in that sense even men who never sexually assault women might be said to benefit from rape, but the contention that men consciously engage in rape for the purpose of control (to the exclusion of sexual gratification) never made much sense at all.

In a sane world, Brownmiller’s theory would have been very short lived. This is because an actual scientist stepped in with a direct rebuttal just four years later, in 1979. The book was called The Evolution of Human Sexuality and it was written by the anthropologist Donald Symons. It is no coincidence that Symons wrote from a scientific rather than a political perspective, and his book was widely heralded by some of the greatest social scientists of the 20th century, including Richard Posner, Paul R. Ehrlich, and Steven Pinker.3Symons’ thesis was very simple and aligned with common sense: he saw rape as being primarily about the satisfaction of sexual lust.4 In particular, he used evidence to document that:

Victims, as a class, were most likely to be young physically attractive women (as opposed to older, more successful career women). On the other hand, convicted rapists were disproportionately young disadvantaged men whose low social status made them undesirable as dating partners, or husbands. (Summary from Psychology Today)

The nature of sex and sexual violence in society has changed significantly since the 1970s, but continuing research cements Symons’ central claim that rape is a way for men to get access to sex that they can’t get in other ways.

For example, I recently came across another stark confirmation of this in the paperDecriminalizing Indoor Prostitution: Implications for Sexual Violence and Public Health. In it, researchers Scott Cunningham and Manisha Shah found a simple and direct correlation between legalized prostitution and rape in Rhode Island. The state unintentionally legalized prostitution in 2003 an then recriminalized it in 2009.5 After prostitution was legalized, the sex market increased in size and rape (overall, across the entire state) declined by 31%. When prostitution was criminalized again in 2009, the incidence of rape went back up. As Jason Kerwin summarizes:

Probably also believes a woman's body shuts down during rape to prevent pregnancy.

Ah yes, the Akin theory

Who has the air freshener?

Teach males to not be controlled by their pricks or fix the mess in their heads.
It is a rapist, male excuse for being bad.

Does not matter what the female does, there is not justification for rape. Rape is an abuse of power.
A tool of punishment and control.

Teach males to not be controlled by their pricks or fix the mess in their heads.
It is a rapist, male excuse for being bad.

Does not matter what the female does, there is not justification for rape. Rape is an abuse of power.
A tool of punishment and control.

It's such a problem to not dress like a whore? OK?
Guess what, men want to fuck you no matter what you wear. OK?

Well we just had several guys on this thread admit that they might feel rapey if they see women barely dressed, one of them disturbingly enough said he was a father. And now you're posting pictures of half naked women? Now they won't be able to control their urges and will have to go out and rape someone. Good work! :cranky:

And if women see pictures of naked men, why don't we get rapey? Giggly maybe, even lustful, but rapey is very rare.

Forum List

Back