Women should dress modestly or expect to 'entice a rapist...'

Well we just had several guys on this thread admit that they might feel rapey if they see women barely dressed, one of them disturbingly enough said he was a father. And now you're posting pictures of half naked women? Now they won't be able to control their urges and will have to go out and rape someone. Good work! :cranky:

And if women see pictures of naked men, why don't we get rapey? Giggly maybe, even lustful, but rapey is very rare.

Hmmmm... I'd rape a guy, but he'd probably like it so, is that still rape?

The Myth that Rape is About Power

September 3, 2014 by Nathaniel

Myth: Rape is caused by lust or uncontrollable sexual urges and the need for sexual gratification.
Fact: Rape is an act of physical violence and domination that is not motivated by sexual gratification.
(Counseling Center at Roger Williams University)

The idea that rape is about power, and not about sex, is one of those facts that everyone knows. Sort of like everyone knows that humans only use 10% of their brain capacity. In other words: it’s totally and completely wrong but people keep saying it anyway.

The urban legend about folks using only 10% of their brain may be annoying1, but as a general rule it doesn’t get anyone hurt. Misdiagnosing the cause of rape can lead to bad policies, confusion, and more rape, however. It’s not just an annoyance. It’s serious and worth getting right. Unfortunately, as is so often the case, politics gets in the way.

The original source of the idea that sexual assault is about violence and power instead of sex or lust doesn’t come from a scientist or an academic study.2 It comes from a feminist writer named Susan Brownmiller who invented the theory pretty much from scratch for her 1975 bookAgainst Our Will: Men, Women, and Rape.

According to Brownmiller, rape is “a conscious process of intimidation by which all men keep all women in a state of fear.” There is some validity to the idea that the consequence of widespread rape and sexual assault is a ubiquitous power imbalance between men and women in society, and that in that sense even men who never sexually assault women might be said to benefit from rape, but the contention that men consciously engage in rape for the purpose of control (to the exclusion of sexual gratification) never made much sense at all.

In a sane world, Brownmiller’s theory would have been very short lived. This is because an actual scientist stepped in with a direct rebuttal just four years later, in 1979. The book was called The Evolution of Human Sexuality and it was written by the anthropologist Donald Symons. It is no coincidence that Symons wrote from a scientific rather than a political perspective, and his book was widely heralded by some of the greatest social scientists of the 20th century, including Richard Posner, Paul R. Ehrlich, and Steven Pinker.3Symons’ thesis was very simple and aligned with common sense: he saw rape as being primarily about the satisfaction of sexual lust.4 In particular, he used evidence to document that:

Victims, as a class, were most likely to be young physically attractive women (as opposed to older, more successful career women). On the other hand, convicted rapists were disproportionately young disadvantaged men whose low social status made them undesirable as dating partners, or husbands. (Summary from Psychology Today)

The nature of sex and sexual violence in society has changed significantly since the 1970s, but continuing research cements Symons’ central claim that rape is a way for men to get access to sex that they can’t get in other ways.

For example, I recently came across another stark confirmation of this in the paperDecriminalizing Indoor Prostitution: Implications for Sexual Violence and Public Health. In it, researchers Scott Cunningham and Manisha Shah found a simple and direct correlation between legalized prostitution and rape in Rhode Island. The state unintentionally legalized prostitution in 2003 an then recriminalized it in 2009.5 After prostitution was legalized, the sex market increased in size and rape (overall, across the entire state) declined by 31%. When prostitution was criminalized again in 2009, the incidence of rape went back up. As Jason Kerwin summarizes:

Rape in the LDS church. This is your source?
A group that believes in plural marriage an children becoming brides?

and you want to be taken seriously?
Probably also believes a woman's body shuts down during rape to prevent pregnancy.

Oh fuck you, I would never believe such utter nonsense !!!!

Here's a pic of me naked.

I demand you have sex with me, or else!

September 3, 2014 by Nathaniel

Myth: Rape is caused by lust or uncontrollable sexual urges and the need for sexual gratification.
Fact: Rape is an act of physical violence and domination that is not motivated by sexual gratification.
(Counseling Center at Roger Williams University)

The idea that rape is about power, and not about sex, is one of those facts that everyone knows. Sort of like everyone knows that humans only use 10% of their brain capacity. In other words: it’s totally and completely wrong but people keep saying it anyway.

The urban legend about folks using only 10% of their brain may be annoying1, but as a general rule it doesn’t get anyone hurt. Misdiagnosing the cause of rape can lead to bad policies, confusion, and more rape, however. It’s not just an annoyance. It’s serious and worth getting right. Unfortunately, as is so often the case, politics gets in the way.

The original source of the idea that sexual assault is about violence and power instead of sex or lust doesn’t come from a scientist or an academic study.2 It comes from a feminist writer named Susan Brownmiller who invented the theory pretty much from scratch for her 1975 bookAgainst Our Will: Men, Women, and Rape.

According to Brownmiller, rape is “a conscious process of intimidation by which all men keep all women in a state of fear.” There is some validity to the idea that the consequence of widespread rape and sexual assault is a ubiquitous power imbalance between men and women in society, and that in that sense even men who never sexually assault women might be said to benefit from rape, but the contention that men consciously engage in rape for the purpose of control (to the exclusion of sexual gratification) never made much sense at all.

In a sane world, Brownmiller’s theory would have been very short lived. This is because an actual scientist stepped in with a direct rebuttal just four years later, in 1979. The book was called The Evolution of Human Sexuality and it was written by the anthropologist Donald Symons. It is no coincidence that Symons wrote from a scientific rather than a political perspective, and his book was widely heralded by some of the greatest social scientists of the 20th century, including Richard Posner, Paul R. Ehrlich, and Steven Pinker.3Symons’ thesis was very simple and aligned with common sense: he saw rape as being primarily about the satisfaction of sexual lust.4 In particular, he used evidence to document that:

Victims, as a class, were most likely to be young physically attractive women (as opposed to older, more successful career women). On the other hand, convicted rapists were disproportionately young disadvantaged men whose low social status made them undesirable as dating partners, or husbands. (Summary from Psychology Today)

The nature of sex and sexual violence in society has changed significantly since the 1970s, but continuing research cements Symons’ central claim that rape is a way for men to get access to sex that they can’t get in other ways.

For example, I recently came across another stark confirmation of this in the paperDecriminalizing Indoor Prostitution: Implications for Sexual Violence and Public Health. In it, researchers Scott Cunningham and Manisha Shah found a simple and direct correlation between legalized prostitution and rape in Rhode Island. The state unintentionally legalized prostitution in 2003 an then recriminalized it in 2009.5 After prostitution was legalized, the sex market increased in size and rape (overall, across the entire state) declined by 31%. When prostitution was criminalized again in 2009, the incidence of rape went back up. As Jason Kerwin summarizes:

Probably also believes a woman's body shuts down during rape to prevent pregnancy.

Oh fuck you, I would never believe such utter nonsense !!!!
8bf7144391ac75f10fb30110355a7997.jpg

I'm actually kind of surprised that rape is so common, with all the STDs around?? You would think some of these guys would be concerned, but I guess the urge to rape overcomes that concern, or they're just retarded which is also likely to be the case.

Rapists don't expect the women they rape to be infected and if the rapist knows he is infected, he really does not care if he spreads it. Some have been know to intentionally spread the disease, part of their power over women or hate that motivates them

It's useless to argue with you and others here of the same ilk.

I have stated over and over that the ROOT cause of rape can have varying reasons, you and others want to always return to the power trip angle.

I'm bowing out of this colossal waste of my time.

Giving up, tongue tied, run out of arguments............?

Don't let the door hit you on your way out. Too bad you did not learn anything in the process. Your fault. Just keep your views to yourself and don't try to force women when they have tough choices to make in life, what ever those choices are, no matter how small.

Well we just had several guys on this thread admit that they might feel rapey if they see women barely dressed, one of them disturbingly enough said he was a father. And now you're posting pictures of half naked women? Now they won't be able to control their urges and will have to go out and rape someone. Good work! :cranky:

Can you back that up with links?

Just pointing out sweetie that not everyone subscribes to your feminist tunnel vision narrative on the causes of rape.
You mean the scientifically established facts that our police, courts, and mental health experts rely on? Actual credible studies widely trusted? You call that "feminist tunnel vision narrative"? You don't sound kooky at all!
Kooky or not, he kind of sounds like he doesn't much like women.

I find a lot of conservative men (especially the so-called "religious" ones) do not really like women who do not act like children. They want a woman to be barefoot in the kitchen and having babies. Any woman who does not follow that narrative is a "feminazi." :D Lol.

It can be true...and maybe in your experience.
....still a very bigoted comment.

I thought bigotry was frowned upon :dunno:

What are you talking about? :)

If you don't want people to think you are easy or a slut, dress conservatively.
Rape - that's another story.

Teach males to not be controlled by their pricks or fix the mess in their heads.
It is a rapist, male excuse for being bad.

Does not matter what the female does, there is not justification for rape. Rape is an abuse of power.
A tool of punishment and control.

It's such a problem to not dress like a whore? OK?
Guess what, men want to fuck you no matter what you wear. OK?

Guess what? It's not how you are dressed that makes you a whore. :) Your actions, however, are another story entirely. Hmm. Do you think a woman wearing a short skirt is a whore? What about someone who claims to be a "Christian", took marital vows and goes online and talks about sex with other men who are NOT her husband? Which one is the bigger whore here? ;)

And if women see pictures of naked men, why don't we get rapey? Giggly maybe, even lustful, but rapey is very rare.

Hmmmm... I'd rape a guy, but he'd probably like it so, is that still rape?

Does he let you tie him to the bed posts with silk ties and do you use a safe word?
Does he moan for more or does he say stop?

You mean a link to the thread you're looking at right now?

I mean link to the posts where people are admitting they feel rapey. Unless, of course, you're just pulling it out of your ass.

I mean link to the posts where people are admitting they feel rapey. Unless, of course, you're just pulling it out of your ass.
Nope. You're a late arrival on this thread. It's not my job to alleviate your ignorance because you don't want to read.

Nope. You're a late arrival on this thread. It's not my job to alleviate your ignorance because you don't want to read.

I may started posting late, but I did read thru whole thread and I haven't seen anything that supports your claim. Your refusal to prove it is not sign of my ignorance, but sign of you being full of shit.

I don't really have anything to add, but am getting tired of coming back to this thread and a draft post keeps showing up - annoying....

Forum List

Back