Would the founders be proud of "todays America"?

What did liberals do that was so offensive to the conservatives? Liberals got women the right to vote. Liberals got African-Americans the right to vote. Liberals created Social Security and lifted millions of elderly people out of poverty. Liberals ended segregation. Liberals passed the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act. Liberals created Medicare. Liberals passed the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act.What did Conservatives do? They opposed them on every one of those things. So when you try to hurl that label at my feet, ‘Liberal,’ as if it were something to be ashamed of, something dirty, something to run away from, it won’t work, because I will pick up that label and I will wear it as a badge of honor. -Lawrence O’Donnell Jr.

Liberals have murdered 30,000,000 American babies.....didn't want you to miss that one. :doubt:
You think there was no abortion at the time of the founders?

There was. Do you think that the women that had abortions were proud of it?

The Founders would have been deeply ashamed of what America has become. They wouldn't be proud of the way we murder children. They wouldn't be proud of the normalization of homosexuality. They wouldn't have tolerated the way property rights have been debased. The Founding Fathers would have executed the entire EPA.

I think arguing about how our founding fathers felt about abortion is a bit silly.

I'm personally against abortion but I don't remember seeing any views on the issue expressed by our founding fathers. I know there is a strong temptation to believe that our own personal views were shared by our founders and that somehow makes our own views more valid or something.

It's just a fantasy of self promotion.

Our founders were brilliant and courageous. But they were far from perfect. If you want to argue that the United States of America should be relegated to an 18th Century society, you're dipping your bucket in a dry well here.

The main reason abortion was not allowed before the era of antibiotics are medical reasons.
It is a very risky procedure without them

Women have always received abortions back when and now. Your comment merely reveals how silly you are that anyone would take your word as credible on the subject.

you are really dumb. Or have a reading comprehension disorder.
availability of illegal abortion to some does not make it a massive procedure.
Do I need to chew it up for you by words?

Vox, you can post credible evidence. I would suggest it because you can spout and pout and be a little tea pot all you want, but you clearly are ignorant on this matter.

You are so dumb you do not know when antibiotics were first discovered by Fleming? WOW. I can post the whole textbooks of pharmacology,microbiology and obstetrics here, but it won't change you level of stupidity.

No one cares what you can post because everyone knows that abortion has been a part of women's history from the beginning.

Pharma can affect it, but certainly it did not begin it or increase it.

Women have always had abortions.

You begin your education on this subject here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/ethics/abortion/legal/history_1.shtml

Last edited:

no, all you need to read is census.gov.

if you understand statistics.

if you are too dumb - you need someone to chew them up for you.
which means the chewer will add their own spices and the result might be the opposite from what pure statistics show. :lol:

Horse crap, son. My cite is fine and the stats are accurate. census.gov, while good, does not clearly explain why stats are off because some states (like CA) refuse to give complete reports if it all.

Now quit being ignorant of the matter.

Big man there Faky. Turned your PM's off now?

Ernie, you are irrelevant, and this is a politics thread. Behave yourself. Glad you are back from vacation. Now stay on topic.

Vox, you can post credible evidence. I would suggest it because you can spout and pout and be a little tea pot all you want, but you clearly are ignorant on this matter.

You are so dumb you do not know when antibiotics were first discovered by Fleming? WOW. I can post the whole textbooks of pharmacology,microbiology and obstetrics here, but it won't change you level of stupidity.

No one cares what you can post because everyone knows that abortion has been a part of women's history from the beginning.

Pharma can affect it, but certainly it did not begin it or increase it.

Women have always had abortions.

You begin your education on this subject here: BBC - Ethics - Abortion: Historical attitudes to abortion

dumbo, I have stated from the very beginning:

there were no mass abortions for much more palpable reasons - severe risks of morbidity and mortality of the women undergoing it. If the woman was married only an idiot would risk an abortion and make himself a widower and his children - orphans.
Unmarried woman - that is another story. Illegal abortions could be traced back to very old times, but unmarried woman if she could pay for illegal procedure usually could decide to take a risk for herself.

Are you not only dumb but dyslexic?

I think arguing about how our founding fathers felt about abortion is a bit silly.

I'm personally against abortion but I don't remember seeing any views on the issue expressed by our founding fathers. I know there is a strong temptation to believe that our own personal views were shared by our founders and that somehow makes our own views more valid or something.

It's just a fantasy of self promotion.

Our founders were brilliant and courageous. But they were far from perfect. If you want to argue that the United States of America should be relegated to an 18th Century society, you're dipping your bucket in a dry well here.

The main reason abortion was not allowed before the era of antibiotics are medical reasons.
It is a very risky procedure without them

That's irrelevant to the point I was making - but thanks.

Infanticide was legal too. Babies were left in the open to die of exposure. Were people proud of doing that?

there were no mass abortions for much more palpable reasons - severe risks of morbidity and mortality of the women undergoing it.

Can you give substantial evidence that you are correct. Do you even know the %s of abortions in the last twenty years on which to make some suggestions about colonial times, or Tudorian times, or Roman times?

If you can make credible assertions with solid support, then we should listen to you. .. but you have not.

there were no mass abortions for much more palpable reasons - severe risks of morbidity and mortality of the women undergoing it.

Can you give substantial evidence that you are correct. Do you even know the %s of abortions in the last twenty years on which to make some suggestions about colonial times, or Tudorian times, or Roman times?

If you can make credible assertions with solid support, then we should listen to you. .. but you have not.

first provide evidence there were MASS ABORTIONS at that time, then demand something on the contrary.

maybe you can find a chewing site :lol:

first provide evidence there were MASS ABORTIONS at that time, then demand something on the contrary.

Basic discussion requires the one who makes the affirmation (no mass abortion in ye olden tymes, for instance, has to support it with credible evidence. Only THEN does refutation with facts have to be made.

Why do you far right reactionary social traditionalists have such a hard time understanding that?

Early feminists abhorred abortion.

The early leaders of the feminist movement were against abortion.

The radical feminist Susan B. Anthony referred to abortion as "child murder" and viewed it as a means of exploiting both women and children.

Alice Paul, who drafted the original version of the Equal Rights Amendment, referred to abortion as "the ultimate exploitation of women."

BBC - Ethics - Abortion: Early feminists

Basic discussion requires the one who makes the affirmation (no mass abortion in ye olden tymes, for instance, has to support it with credible evidence. Only THEN does refutation with facts have to be made.

Why do you far right reactionary social traditionalists have such a hard time understanding that?

Jake - you are right. The burden of proof is on the person making the claim.
It is silly to say X=Z unless you provide some evidence to prove otherwise. If you can't, then I am right by default.

I don't mean to butt in, but I don't understand how this argument pertains to how our founding fathers would react to 2013 America.

Hey you guys enjoy these boards the way you want.

It is silly to say X=Z unless you provide some evidence to prove otherwise. If you can't, then I am right by default.

I don't mean to butt in, but I don't understand how this argument pertains to how our founding fathers would react to 2013 America.

Because the far right makes a silly assertion then demands anyone who says "uh uh" to give evidence. That is their way of trolling when the can't carry an honest discussion.

You are right, we are off OP and I will get back on it.

you also think there were MASS ABORTIONS before invention of antibiotics?

prove it by statistics.

or you want the proof that the sky is blue?

you are not engaging in basic discussion - from the beginning you try to denigrate the opponent with your smirks covering your ignorance and then, when cornered you are trying to mutter something about "discussion" .
I do not discuss with the libtard propagandist as yourself.

Early feminists abhorred abortion.

The early leaders of the feminist movement were against abortion.

The radical feminist Susan B. Anthony referred to abortion as "child murder" and viewed it as a means of exploiting both women and children.

Alice Paul, who drafted the original version of the Equal Rights Amendment, referred to abortion as "the ultimate exploitation of women."

BBC - Ethics - Abortion: Early feminists

Precisely. The other part they were worried about ( and very rightfully so) were the health complications of the women undergoing abortions.
Obstetric morbidity and mortality was abysmal and adding unnecessary burden of additional highly risky procedure on the WOMAN and leaving her male counterpart without consequences was not the aim of original feminists.

In other words, you two have no idea whether mass abortions existed prior to modern medicine or not.

Got it.

Back to the OP: do you think the Founders would approve of state-regulated abortion laws?

In other words, you two have no idea whether mass abortions existed prior to modern medicine or not.

Got it.

Back to the OP: do you think the Founders would approve of state-regulated abortion laws?

Sorry if I got preachy. It is one of my least attractive qualities. (and I have lots of unattractive qualities).
Well done.

I can't find any evidence to support any notion of how our founders may have felt about abortion.

I do think they would enjoy seeing our tolerance for positions we disagree with. And our extension of voting rights and civil liberties. I think they would be impressed with our ability to maintain a peaceful transfer of power so consistently. And I think they would like seeing the wealth of outlets for our diverse opinions.

I think they would cringe over what we spend and I don't think they would like data mining.

But that's just mho.

Forum List

Back