WW1 100YR memorial: Trump cancels due to "weather", 69 other world leaders are going (54 & rainy)

So, after watching Fareed Zakaria’s interview with President Macron on Sunday’s GPS program (CNN), it sounds like possibly Marine One was grounded by French officials responsible for flight traffic over Paris because of the visibility limitations.

In which case Trump could easily have travelled with Macron or Merkel overland, had he really wanted to show his respects to those thousands of Marines who gave their lives at Belleau Wood.

And there’s no excuse whatsoever for skipping the ceremonies at Arlington - where the French Ambassador laid a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier while our leader was AWOL.
Another bone spur prevented him from going.
Bone spurs AND rain.....Oh the HUMANITY!!!!

Why would you be laying a wreath on Veteran's Day? Would that not be normally done on Memorial Day?

Memorial Day is to remember veterans who have passed.

Armed Forces Day honors those who currently serve.

Veterans' Day honors those who have served.

I guess a fake veteran like you would not know this.

The ceremony was to honor those who died in WWI. It had nothing to do with veterans who survived.

I was talking about the wreath laying at Arlington dumbass!

.......because they were veterans and it was Veterans Day.

He could have gone by car but I guess was way to much fore him to sacrifice to honor those who gave all.

Maybe Donnie was pissed they fought against his ancestors?

What does it matter, now?
It fits the pattern set by Trump.

It is meaningless.

You might as well have a fit over whether he wears boxers or briefs.
Trump probably cares more about his underwear choice than veterans.

What makes you think veterans don’t care about their underwear choices?

I think he was saying that veterans don't care about what underwear TRUMP wears.

I will ask the veterans I know. I will let you know how they respond.

Trump did honor veterans on November 11th.

The fact is that Trump honored American veterans in Paris on November 11th. He went to the Suresnes American Cemetery that is a resting place of WWI soldiers:

Lieux_CimetiereAmericainSuresnes_01.jpg

Suresnes American Cemetery | Chemins de Mémoire - Ministère de la Défense

It is a fact that Trump went to pay his respects as president to our veterans on November 11th in Paris:

AP_18315560664649-1140x684.jpg

Remarks by President Trump at the Suresnes American Cemetery | U.S. Embassy & Consulates in France

I assumed something like that. THanks.

It is meaningless.

I think he was saying that veterans don't care about what underwear TRUMP wears.

I was kidding

This was not a combat op.

Um..................quick question dude...............do you REALLY think that Trump would be brave enough to go to an active combat zone? I don't.

But, you did bring up the point that it wasn't a combat op. You are correct. But, Marine 1 is equipped with pilots and an airframe that is capable in many kinds of inclement weather, as well as can be flown in both VFR and IFR situations.

No, there was zero excuse for Trump to not attend.

Take it up with the Secret Service.

Unless ity is an imminent threat, the Secret Service only makes recommendations. The president makes the final call.

So, you think he should have overruled the professionals on air safety, risking the lives of his crew and those on the ground, he would have been flying over?

Using his personal expertise from a lifetime of real estate dealings?

Mmm, I respectfully disagree.

So does the rain stop you from driving a vehicle as well, since Mattis and Kelly were able to make it there safely.

Don't know, don't care. Isolated from context, that factoid means nothing.

This was not a combat op.

Um..................quick question dude...............do you REALLY think that Trump would be brave enough to go to an active combat zone? I don't.

But, you did bring up the point that it wasn't a combat op. You are correct. But, Marine 1 is equipped with pilots and an airframe that is capable in many kinds of inclement weather, as well as can be flown in both VFR and IFR situations.

I think that is just an excuse he used, because he knows we can't check out what the SS did or didn't suggest, as presidential movements are classified.

I think as President, that he knows he has to do a lot of photo ops, is completely used to doing them and the idea that this one, he for some reason wanted to blow off, is nothing but wishful thinking on the part of people with Trump Derangement Syndrome.
Photo ops for campaigning - good
Photo ops for those who gave all - "Fuck it, I don;t feel like going"?

No, he's been doing plenty of photo ops since being elected. Your words make no sense, the way you strung them together.

It is meaningless.

I was kidding

I was too. Perhaps I took the joke too far...

dcbda3442819ecddfcd2d7feca3dd08759342035d5f1cdff88ba7ac0d0edbe63.jpg

So, after watching Fareed Zakaria’s interview with President Macron on Sunday’s GPS program (CNN), it sounds like possibly Marine One was grounded by French officials responsible for flight traffic over Paris because of the visibility limitations.

In which case Trump could easily have travelled with Macron or Merkel overland, had he really wanted to show his respects to those thousands of Marines who gave their lives at Belleau Wood.

And there’s no excuse whatsoever for skipping the ceremonies at Arlington - where the French Ambassador laid a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier while our leader was AWOL.

Why would you be laying a wreath on Veteran's Day? Would that not be normally done on Memorial Day?

The ceremony was to honor those who died in WWI. It had nothing to do with veterans who survived.

Lighten up, Francis. My mistake. Silly of me to think the topic might be the original one.

You know, I've seen helicopters ferrying cargo from my ship USS CONCORD (AFS-5), which later became USNS CONCORD (T-AFS-5). And, even though those helicopters weren't outfitted with as much technical gear as what is in Marine 1, they were still outfitted with equipment that allowed them to fly in the rain under Instrument Flight Rules (IFR), and there weren't many conditions that would stop a VERTREP (Vertical Replenishment). Why Marine 1 was grounded is beyond me, but it wasn't because the airframe was incapable of flying in light rain.

Matter of fact, the only time I've gone on a helo that had to wait for weather to clear was when I took a familiarization ride on one in Newport RI, and we had to wait for the fog to lift because the 'copter wasn't equipped with IFR equipment.

Those helos were flying in VFR conditions and only traveling a few hundred to maybe a thousand feet. There was also nothing for them to run into in the middle of the ocean.

My God, you are one incredible dumbass!
So, what was the ceiling?

Good question. Here is an article written by a person who is an actual certified pilot, and if you are certified as well and can read the weather reports that they put out for pilots, you can see it here at this link.........................

Can Trump's Helicopter, Marine One, Fly in the Rain? - The Atlantic

And, the guy was kind enough to translate what all those numbers and things meant into plain English for the rest of us. Here it is in plain English, with some of his commentary on the conditions from the same link..................

I am not going to bother to decode this all. (Being able to read METARs is part of ground school in the learning-to-fly process.) But here are the essentials:

• On Saturday morning, the weather in Paris was rainy and overcast—bad weather, but not any exceptional aeronautical challenge. The worst conditions during the day in Paris were at noon, when there was an overcast ceiling of 600 feet. (“101100Z 19011KT 2700 -RA BR OVC006.” The -RA means “light rain.” The BR means “mist,” and the mnemonic for remembering it is “Baby Rain.”) As a benchmark: To get an instrument rating, whether in an airplane or a helicopter, you have to show the ability to fly an approach “to minimums,” which (depending on the airport and the approach system) can be as low as 200 to 300 feet. Still, on Saturday morning, a helicopter trip from Paris would probably have meant spending part of the time in the clouds.
  • The temperature in Paris through the morning was 11 to 12 degrees Centigrade, or the low 50s Fahrenheit. That is not very cold. The normal “lapse rate” for air temperature is about 2 degrees Centigrade colder for each thousand feet you go up. In normal circumstances, that would mean the freezing level was at an altitude of around 6,000 feet. (To spell it out: 12 degrees Centigrade at ground level, minus 2 degrees for each thousand feet, means that you reach 0 degrees Centigrade around 6,000 feet up.) So at an altitude of 3,000 or 4,000 feet, this would not be an icing-peril scenario.
  • It was not very windy. Through the morning, the wind was reported at 11 or 12 knots—not enough to worry about.

I think that is just an excuse he used, because he knows we can't check out what the SS did or didn't suggest, as presidential movements are classified.

I think as President, that he knows he has to do a lot of photo ops, is completely used to doing them and the idea that this one, he for some reason wanted to blow off, is nothing but wishful thinking on the part of people with Trump Derangement Syndrome.
Photo ops for campaigning - good
Photo ops for those who gave all - "Fuck it, I don;t feel like going"?

No, he's been doing plenty of photo ops since being elected. Your words make no sense, the way you strung them together.
Trump said "Fuck it" to the ceremony.

Lighten up, Francis. My mistake. Silly of me to think the topic might be the original one.

It is called "reading" which is something that UA never expects of the students.

It is called "reading" which is something that UA never expects of the students.

I'd be happy to bump intellects with you. This continued Alabama/auburn nonsense is weak.

I neglected to click to make all the previous posts visible. And I admitted it was my mistake.

I'd be happy to bump intellects with you. This continued Alabama/auburn nonsense is weak.

I neglected to click to make all the previous posts visible. And I admitted it was my mistake.

No, you wouldn't. There isn't anyone from Alabama that this Kentucky hillbilly could not best.

No, you wouldn't. There isn't anyone from Alabama that this Kentucky hillbilly could not best.

The word I used was "intellect", not "ego". Spare me yours. Let's get back to the actual topic, shall we?

The word I used was "intellect", not "ego". Spare me yours. Let's get back to the actual topic, shall we?

Sure! You think you can hold up your end of the bargain?

Sure! You think you can hold up your end of the bargain?

Perhaps a bit of reading on the topics of honor or integrity would be in order for you. I have admitted (twice) that it was my mistake. Move on.

The rain grounded the helicopter. The President did not attend a ceremony.

for his fat ass top bear.
You libs are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

He could have gone by car but I guess was way to much fore him to sacrifice to honor those who gave all.

Maybe Donnie was pissed they fought against his ancestors?

It is meaningless.

We're lucky he doesn't send the statue of liberty back to France because he doesn't like immigrants.

Yanno Edward, that poem they have inscribed at the bottom of the Statue of Liberty should be taken down, because it's no longer true.

The New Colossus by Emma Lazarus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
“Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

lol... i have never seen an unbiased post from you yet.

So you are bitching that I am giving my opinion on a political message board?

I am not supposed to be unbiased you dullard, nor have I ever claimed to be.

i never said you were un biased. but i will say you have a comprehension problem just like cartoon boy. damn, no wonder trump loves you long time

No, you accuse me of bias like its a bad thing, trying to make it some character flaw.

accuse? lol... there is no accusation. but you are what you are.

No, plenty of accusation, and a pointless one at that.

:blahblah:

Yanno Edward, that poem they have inscribed at the bottom of the Statue of Liberty should be taken down, because it's no longer true.

The New Colossus by Emma Lazarus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
“Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”
YES but nice to think it once was relevant My grandparents all came here from Russia/Poland

Forum List

Back