WWI was a pointless war, 20M dead, brought about by stupid alliances, like the one we have with NATO

those who dont learn from history are bound to repeat the mistakes of the past

WRONG! NATO is the reason there has not been another World War since 1945. Its the reason the world survived the Cold War and Soviet Unions attempts to take over the world.

Had the United States been apart of the Allies prior to the start of World War I and had troops deployed in France and Belgium prior to 1914, the Germans would never have risked invading Lux., Belgium or France. Germany would have left Austria-Hungary alone to deal with its conflict with Serbia. Austria-Hungary would have settled its differences with Serbia diplomatically with investigations and negotiation. It would not risk war with Russia without Germany which attacking Serbia would entail. Its called DETERRENCE! Strong Alliances like NATO make war less likely! Weaken NATO, and you weaken deterrence, and make war more likely!

We didn't have hardly any troops prior to 1917. much less in 1914. Woulda, coulda, shoulda!

That's right, which was a mistake. That's why ever since World War II, the United States has maintained a large standing military in peace time and is apart of a large military Alliance in Europe called NATO. Had there been a large U.S. troop presence in Europe prior to World War I, the war would have been unlikely to have happened. That's the lesson. The United States finally learned it after World War II and has since adopted a more intelligent strategy of maintaining a large military, creating and maintaining alliances, and not being shy about intervening with military force around the world to help maintain stability and prevent threats from growing into grave dangers.

Alternative histories are usually wrong because the writers never get the real history correct first.

There was almost nowhere in the world where one country maintained a massive troop concentration on another country's soil, unless it was their own colony It was unthinkable. It only came about after WWII as a result of the war and collapse of the colonial system. Your argument is baseless and pure fantasy.

Its the lesson that was learned from World War I and World War II. It does not matter what the typical conditions of the time were, what matters is what one was technically capable of doing and whether they should have done it or not. The United States isolationist stance prior to World War I and World War II helped indirectly to bring on those wars. That's why the United States since 1945 has completely reversed its isolationist stance and become a globalist nation that often intervenes in world affairs and tries to create and preserve a certain amount of stability throughout the world. The United States started doing that in the 1940s and is still operating this way in 2018.

those who dont learn from history are bound to repeat the mistakes of the past

WRONG! NATO is the reason there has not been another World War since 1945. Its the reason the world survived the Cold War and Soviet Unions attempts to take over the world.

Had the United States been apart of the Allies prior to the start of World War I and had troops deployed in France and Belgium prior to 1914, the Germans would never have risked invading Lux., Belgium or France. Germany would have left Austria-Hungary alone to deal with its conflict with Serbia. Austria-Hungary would have settled its differences with Serbia diplomatically with investigations and negotiation. It would not risk war with Russia without Germany which attacking Serbia would entail. Its called DETERRENCE! Strong Alliances like NATO make war less likely! Weaken NATO, and you weaken deterrence, and make war more likely!

We didn't have hardly any troops prior to 1917. much less in 1914. Woulda, coulda, shoulda!

That's right, which was a mistake. That's why ever since World War II, the United States has maintained a large standing military in peace time and is apart of a large military Alliance in Europe called NATO. Had there been a large U.S. troop presence in Europe prior to World War I, the war would have been unlikely to have happened. That's the lesson. The United States finally learned it after World War II and has since adopted a more intelligent strategy of maintaining a large military, creating and maintaining alliances, and not being shy about intervening with military force around the world to help maintain stability and prevent threats from growing into grave dangers.

Alternative histories are usually wrong because the writers never get the real history correct first.

There was almost nowhere in the world where one country maintained a massive troop concentration on another country's soil, unless it was their own colony It was unthinkable. It only came about after WWII as a result of the war and collapse of the colonial system. Your argument is baseless and pure fantasy.

Its the lesson that was learned from World War I and World War II. It does not matter what the typical conditions of the time were, what matters is what one was technically capable of doing and whether they should have done it or not. The United States isolationist stance prior to World War I and World War II helped indirectly to bring on those wars. That's why the United States since 1945 has completely reversed its isolationist stance and become a globalist nation that often intervenes in world affairs and tries to create and preserve a certain amount of stability throughout the world. The United States started doing that in the 1940s and is still operating this way in 2018.
Who told you that bedtime story? And why did you believe them?

Who told you that bedtime story? And why did you believe them?

Its not a bedtime story. Its evident to anyone who has seriously studied U.S. History, World History, and International Relations over the past 150 years. The United States created much of the structure of the world we live in today in the years after World War II. No longer would the United States repeat the mistakes of Isolationism from the past. Going forward from World War II, the United States would remain engaged and involved throughout the world in order to maintain stability and prosperity for itself, its allies and the world in general. It would do everything it could to prevent a third world war or the take over of the world by a single country or ideology like Soviet Communism.

Forum List

Back