Yes, I'm a Conservative, But SOME Rent Control IS Necesary

I'm just shocked they haven't tried to sing the praises of Arkansas or Mississippi; yet. True story. I have pretty much decided that if we make a forage into a new place, we try to stay at Hyatt Hotels. I trust them (barely) to be pretty consistent in terms of cleanliness and service. Anyway....one of the things that I'm looking into was the Air BNB market as an alternative to hotels. Haven't done it yet but am interested. The Air BNB rentals for 3 days in some parts of Tennessee and northern Mississippi were cheaper than the Hyatt in Memphis. I could imagine what the houses looked like.

You mean beautiful antebellum homes with friendly, gracious hosts? Yeah, that would be tough.

Yeah...right
I could name a few that fit that description. But I think that would be a waste of time.

No doubt there are some very charming antebellum plantation homes with well meaning albeit clueless owners who offer a genuine southern experience.

I have no desire to have an old school, white supremacist experience. Those places of pain and misery should be razed.

So the factories of the north will also be razed?

I have no idea what this means or how it relates to air bnb or my point.

You mean beautiful antebellum homes with friendly, gracious hosts? Yeah, that would be tough.

Yeah...right
I could name a few that fit that description. But I think that would be a waste of time.

No doubt there are some very charming antebellum plantation homes with well meaning albeit clueless owners who offer a genuine southern experience.

I have no desire to have an old school, white supremacist experience. Those places of pain and misery should be razed.

You stated that antebellum homes should be razed because they were places of pain and misery. The factories of the northeast, especially those using child labor, were also places of pain and misery. I simply asked if they would be razed too. Applying the same standards you used.

you need a microeconomic argument and can't come up with one. who's fault is that?
And now we rinse.............LOL

And now I ask the question again.............How do you help the poor by making everything more expensive..............

Now deflection.........drying............LOL ......please continue Daniel.........you are out of your cave now
how many times do i have to tell you? unemployment compensation for simply being unemployed and a fifteen dollar an hour minimum wage.
And the one liners reappear Mr. Troll...........LOLLOL

Now for how do you help the poor by taking more of their money question...........which of course will not be answered...........LOL
only lousy capitalists have to be told how capitalism works.

more people Spending more money is Always a Good thing for Merchants in Commerce.
As Toro already said.............you have basically killed the thread which is your purpose...........
upset you have no valid rebuttals, bro?

we need an institutional upward pressure on wages to create more demand for new housing in more optimal locations.

Tampa approves 5 percent property tax increase

TAMPA — The City Council late Tuesday approved a 5 percent property tax increase for next year. But no one seemed to mind.

That's because no one from the public showed up for the final hearing on next year's budget.

"Wow," council member Lisa Montelione said. "I'm shocked."

"We get to go home early," Chairman Frank Reddick said.

Mayor Bob Buckhorn's $850.2 million budget for 2016 is built on the same property tax rate — $5.73 in taxes for every $1,000 of assessed taxable property value — as for the previous eight years. But because the real estate market is recovering, construction is picking up and property values are rising, the same tax rate raises more revenue. Hence, the tax increase.

Consequently, a house that's assessed at $146,000 (the city's average) by the Hillsborough County property appraiser and has a homestead exemption will pay $550 in city taxes next year. That home's total tax bill, including taxes levied by Hillsborough County and the School Board, will be about $2,025.

Wonder how many more tax increases Tampa did since then.............

Let's say the property is worth about 30 million......that would add about $50 per unit to pass on the cost to the tenants there.........Don't know what the property is worth so I'm just guessing...........done with math based on 280 units which is what I thought he said a while back at a value of 30 million................guessing of course.........LOL

Yeah...right

You stated that antebellum homes should be razed because they were places of pain and misery. The factories of the northeast, especially those using child labor, were also places of pain and misery. I simply asked if they would be razed too. Applying the same standards you used.

Ok. Except the conversation was about housing accomodations in the south. Specifically, air bnb and your suggestion of an antebellum home.

https://www.bizjournals.com/tampaba...-city-leaders-will-not-seek-property-tax.html

The city also has to advertise the proposed rate, if approved, as a tax increase because revenue will increase even though the rate assessed would remain the same. The “roll back rate” is the millage rate the city would have to impose to keep property tax revenue the same as the previous fiscal year. That would be 6.3513, nearly four-tenths lower than the proposed rate.

City council can lower the proposed rate during budget discussions but cannot increase it.

As proposed, the city would collect about $675 on every $100,000 of assessed value on a property.

Council will vote on the budget Sept. 6 and then again for final approval Sept. 20.

Same guess..............30 million property would cost the property owner about 202,000 a year.....380 units about $723 per unit a year ..........at about 60 a month to pay the property taxes...........that doesn't include the sewage increases and water increases ...............

Tampa approves 5 percent property tax increase

TAMPA — The City Council late Tuesday approved a 5 percent property tax increase for next year. But no one seemed to mind.

That's because no one from the public showed up for the final hearing on next year's budget.

"Wow," council member Lisa Montelione said. "I'm shocked."

"We get to go home early," Chairman Frank Reddick said.

Mayor Bob Buckhorn's $850.2 million budget for 2016 is built on the same property tax rate — $5.73 in taxes for every $1,000 of assessed taxable property value — as for the previous eight years. But because the real estate market is recovering, construction is picking up and property values are rising, the same tax rate raises more revenue. Hence, the tax increase.

Consequently, a house that's assessed at $146,000 (the city's average) by the Hillsborough County property appraiser and has a homestead exemption will pay $550 in city taxes next year. That home's total tax bill, including taxes levied by Hillsborough County and the School Board, will be about $2,025.

Wonder how many more tax increases Tampa did since then.............

Let's say the property is worth about 30 million......that would add about $50 per unit to pass on the cost to the tenants there.........Don't know what the property is worth so I'm just guessing...........done with math based on 280 units which is what I thought he said a while back at a value of 30 million................guessing of course.........LOL
insist on upgrading wherever possible to reduce long term costs.

Ok. Except the conversation was about housing accomodations in the south. Specifically, air bnb and your suggestion of an antebellum home.

Indeed it was. And I know of several beautiful old homes that have been turned in B&Bs and are rented on AirBNB. And I stated that very thing. Plus, the hosts are gracious and friendly. The hosts, as far as I know, are not white supremacists (I personally know that 2 of the host couples are not).

There, now I have responded to the entirety of your post. Better?

And now we rinse.............LOL

And now I ask the question again.............How do you help the poor by making everything more expensive..............

Now deflection.........drying............LOL ......please continue Daniel.........you are out of your cave now
how many times do i have to tell you? unemployment compensation for simply being unemployed and a fifteen dollar an hour minimum wage.
And the one liners reappear Mr. Troll...........LOLLOL

Now for how do you help the poor by taking more of their money question...........which of course will not be answered...........LOL
only lousy capitalists have to be told how capitalism works.

more people Spending more money is Always a Good thing for Merchants in Commerce.
As Toro already said.............you have basically killed the thread which is your purpose...........
upset you have no valid rebuttals, bro?

Why should he be upset. You have already set the precedent for not responding to points and not answering questions.

You still have not answer mine.

So ...........ignoring the troll.........Property values are growing in the Tampa area.............They've increased property taxes to pay for parks and such.................values are increasing at 6.75% a year via article posted..............and apartment complexes are paying more in taxes as a result................Definitely not 60% increases but increases passed on to the tenant as part of the equation.......................

might account for about 60 a month of the increase............don't know about the sewage tax increases and water increases.........

Now that danielfailosbot is posting, this thread is truly over.

Not for me, I have him on ignore. I didn't see one post of his. I don't read other posts that don't have a quote because it's likely they're talking to him. A complete waste of time.

It is easier to buy than to rent in Califormia. The home that I own right now, was a foreclosure that originally sold for 750,000, and got it for 210,000 back in 2011 and got a very good mortgage rate Comparable properties are selling for about 600,000 now.

Just down the street from my home there are some loft apartments that just grand opened and they are asking 3500 a month for an 1100 sq. ft. 2 bd 2ba.

Unbelievable.
I lived in California for 12 years. It never did make any sense.

Very costly to live here. I'm a native and while the trade off is good year around weather, it is stupid expensive. Gas is high. (3.45 a gallon for regular this morning) insurance is ridiculous.

I just moved my 86 year old mother out here from Kansas to live with me. She sold a 3500 sq. ft home on 3 acres with a fully finished walkout basement and private lake, for 250,000.

And even though she and my dad lived in San Francisco for many years prior to retiring, she still was shell shocked when she saw the ridiculous cost of living here.

The cost of living here is shocking due to the gross interference in free markets by the various state, county and local governments.

I pretty much agree. Landlords should be allowed a certain percentage of profit above their mortgage payment and maintenance costs. If, for example, a landlord has a mortgage of $20K per month on a small apartment complex with 10 identical units (including property taxes and insurance), and if his maintenance costs are, say, $6K per year, for a total of $246K per year or $20,500 per month/$2.050 per unit per month, he should be able to charge 20% more than his total monthly cost per unit. Thus, if each unit cost him $2,050 per month, he could charge $2,460 monthly rent per unit. At that rate, he would make $4100 per month profit after all expenses. If he owned 20 apartment units, he would make $8200 per month after all expenses.

And this is not including the fact that as a landlord, he gets tax deductions for his maintenance costs.

That's totally impossible to calculate. My expenses change greatly by year. People may not realize it, but empty apartments are killer in this business. So if I have two empty apartments in one year, that changes my income greatly compared to the year before or perhaps next year.

But that's besides the point nobody in government should be telling me what I can charge for rent no more than government telling a car wash what they can charge per vehicle or telling Sam at Sam's hardware the maximum he can charge for a shop vac.

When government artificially controls things like wages, and prices BAD things happen. Let the market work. Move to a less expensive apartment.
You wanna pay my moving costs ?

Sure, I'll let the market work. But not in every case. Not where hundreds of people's lives are being damaged.

Here's the flaw in your logic: other people's lives are damaged by rent control.

Try reading Bastiat's parable of the Broken Window and think about the implications of rent control on the unseen in your equation.

Last edited:
Apply for Rental & Housing Assistance

How To
  1. If you think you qualify for assistance, contact your local Community Resource Center to schedule an appointment
  2. Once you have an appointment, complete an application at a local Community Resource Center
    • Bring all necessary documentation to your appointment in order to expedite your eligibility determination:
      • Social Security number verification for each household member
      • Two items showing verification of Hillsborough County residency:
        • Valid driver's license with current address
        • Letter or current lease from your landlord or mortgage company
        • Hillsborough County voter registration card
        • Public utility bill with Hillsborough County address
        • Vehicle registration with a Hillsborough County address
        • Current public school enrollment in Hillsborough County
      • Picture identification for all adults in the household
      • Verification of gross income for all household members for the last 30 days, such as: paycheck stub, employer letter, award letter for public assistance, Social Security income verification, unemployment benefits letter, or pension check stub
      • Proof of lease or mortgage obligation
      • Completed W-9 Form
      • Completed Landlord Verification form
  3. Additional requirements may be necessary for eligibility determination depending on each household situation
Rents rising in Tampa Bay, more quickly than national average

And what do we, the taxpayers, get for paying you a salary for doing nothing? YOu made the claim "we get what we pay for in the first world, too", so answer the question. What do we, the taxpayers, get for paying you?
if you knew any Thing about economics, you would know that stabilizing our economy is key for Commerce.
If you knew anything about economics, you would quit annoying the grownups with this halfassed nonsense of yours.

I sincerely doubt a Southern mansion was being offered on the Air BNB website for $55 a night. I didn’t look at the properties listed but that is what I saw in Memphis for the time we were there.

And what do we, the taxpayers, get for paying you a salary for doing nothing? YOu made the claim "we get what we pay for in the first world, too", so answer the question. What do we, the taxpayers, get for paying you?
capital Has to circulate not Labor in a First World economy.

Oh, God...he just keeps on spouting gibberish!

How do you get capital to "circulate", Daniel? Duh?
He is a troll.............he spouts the same thing over and over again..........giving funnies or informative to everything. then always goes back to the same 15 an hour and same nonsense.............

It is how he trolls and rolls.............LOL
nothing but fallacy and resorting to false of Cause instead of the Gospel Truth, right wingers, forshame.
How do you help the poor by making Gasoline more expensive.............how do you help the poor by increasing the cost of electricity by charging Carbon Taxes to those producing it..............

Simple answer is you don't............You screw the little man and say you are actually helping him. And brain dead liberals actually believe them...............

While we are at it.......how do you help the poor with the highest State Income taxes in the country......not counting Hawaii.......................hmmm...............take their money away and it's better for them.............then wonder why they are living in tents.......

Hmmm.........this is the path of those stupid to follow the yellow brick road off a cliff..............

How do you help the poor by spending nearly $700B on defense?

Forum List

Back