Yes, I'm a Conservative, But SOME Rent Control IS Necesary

No doubt there are some very charming antebellum plantation homes with well meaning albeit clueless owners who offer a genuine southern experience.

I have no desire to have an old school, white supremacist experience. Those places of pain and misery should be razed.

So the factories of the north will also be razed?

I have no idea what this means or how it relates to air bnb or my point.

You stated that antebellum homes should be razed because they were places of pain and misery. The factories of the northeast, especially those using child labor, were also places of pain and misery. I simply asked if they would be razed too. Applying the same standards you used.

Ok. Except the conversation was about housing accomodations in the south. Specifically, air bnb and your suggestion of an antebellum home.

Indeed it was. And I know of several beautiful old homes that have been turned in B&Bs and are rented on AirBNB. And I stated that very thing. Plus, the hosts are gracious and friendly. The hosts, as far as I know, are not white supremacists (I personally know that 2 of the host couples are not).

There, now I have responded to the entirety of your post. Better?
Yes, thank you.
I never said the owners were white supremacists. Certainly though, the antebellum properties and the "charm" associated with that period are steeped in white supremacy. I'm sorry but I don't find anything about that period of the south to be charming. Savannah is a beautiful city, as many are, but is haunted by a history that I just can't abide.

How do you help the poor by spending nearly $700B on defense?

The purpose of military spending is not to "help the poor". It is to provide for the DEFENSE of the nation. However, you do realize that many, many "poor" people join the military to have employment, benefits, and sometimes to earn money for college, or to learn a trade. You do know that, right?

The purpose of military spending is not to "help the poor". It is to provide for the DEFENSE of the nation.
Sadly, it does neither. It does enrich the hell out of contractors and former congressmen turned lobbyists

How do you help the poor by spending nearly $700B on defense?

The purpose of military spending is not to "help the poor". It is to provide for the DEFENSE of the nation. However, you do realize that many, many "poor" people join the military to have employment, benefits, and sometimes to earn money for college, or to learn a trade. You do know that, right?

Neither was it the goal of the programs mentioned by the dumbfuck I was responding to. You do know that, right?

You are a statist.

Conservatives generally are statist authoritarians, like their leftist counterparts. You propose a government intrusion, but it is okay in your mind because it is only when in certain exceptional situations (i.e. those effect you) and you forget or don't care about what such an intrusion does to landlords.

This is what distinguishes me (a liberal) from conservatives and leftists.

You can throw out all your excuses about this being an issue of people and their homes, but it is all the same and that excuse is nonsense. Who pays for the landlord's home? What do you think the landlord will do with the extra money?

If you were truly principled, you would never suggest such a statist authoritarian overreach--even one that benefits you or "people."

The market dictates price. If the landlords did not have the market support for such a price hike, they would never get away with it. There is high demand for rentals right now because nre home building is not keeping up with demand, making it harder for people to go from renting to buying. Thus, higher demand for rentals.

The good news is that there is always a market solution and/or an excellent opportunity for someone get wealthy solving the lack-of-supply problem. Landlords will likely use the temporary surplus to solve the problem by building more rental properties (increasing supply).

That is all I will say on the matter.

So you purport to know all about the "market support" for the area that I live in, do you ? Well answer this, Mr. Knowledge > If the "market support" is so good for $300-400/month rent increases, then why is this the ONLY apartment complex for miles around, that is raising rents this way ?

The answer is simple. That you are just blowing off hot air, with a lot of emotion, and no facts.

What do I think the landlord will do with the extra money ? I think he'll buy jewels, 10 sportscars, or some other wasteful, stupid thing, or do nothing with it. You think he needs this extra money ? Not hardly. And if he did, that still wouldn't be any reason to raise rents to exhorbitant amounts, causing people to uproot their lives.

For all the landlords in this thread who have been crabbing about all the stuff they have to pay for, I say the same thing that I have said 100 times in this forum to business owners who hire low-wage aliens. If you can't afford to run a business(of any kind) without hiring low wage aliens (or raising rents 100s of $$), then you can't afford TO BE IN BUSINESS AT ALL. And you shouldn't be in business, period. And you should do what all the rest of us (who can't afford it) do. GET A JOB.

And no, I'm not a statist. I just see the state as having certain functions. With regard to business (as a former business owner myself) I'd prefer the state be involved with business as little as possible. But raising apartment rents 60% ? Yes, that calls for some state support, and I'm not the slightest bit shy to say it. Just being OK with the state taking action, in certain things, that doesn't mean you're a "statist" (is that word just a cover for someone not wanting to say "liberal")

If anybody wants to point fingers at those who accept some "state" intervention, let's see what they have to say about ICE, Border Patrol, and the National Guard.

Last edited:
You are a statist.

Conservatives generally are statist authoritarians, like their leftist counterparts. You propose a government intrusion, but it is okay in your mind because it is only when in certain exceptional situations (i.e. those effect you) and you forget or don't care about what such an intrusion does to landlords.

You can throw out all your excuses about this being an issue of people and their homes, but it is all the same and that excuse is nonsense. Who pays for the landlord's home? What do you think the landlord will do with the extra money?

If you were truly principled, you would never suggest such a statist authoritarian overreach--even one that benefits you or "people."

The market dictates price. If the landlords did not have the market support for such a price hike, they would never get away with it. There is high demand for rentals right now because nre home building is not keeping up with demand, making it harder for people to go from renting to buying. Thus, higher demand for rentals.

The good news is that there is always a market solution and/or an excellent opportunity for someone get wealthy solving the lack-of-supply problem. Landlords will likely use the temporary surplus to solve the problem by building more rental properties (increasing supply).

So you purport to know all about the "market support" for the area that I liv in, do you ? Well answer this, Mr. Knowledge > If the "market support" is so good for $300-400/month rent increases, then why is this the ONLY apartment complex for miles around that is raising rents this way ?

The answer is simple. That you are just blowing off hot air, with a lot of emotion, and no facts.

What do I think the landlord will do with the extra money ? I think he'll buy jewels, 10 sportscars, or some other wasteful, stupid thing or do nothing with it. You think he needs this extra money ? Not hardly. And if he did, that still wouldn't be any reason to raise rents to exhorbitant amounts, causing people to uproot their lives.

For all the landlords in this thread who have been crabbing about all the stuff they have to pay for, I say the same thing that I have said 100 times in this forum to business owners who hire low-wage aliens. If you can't afford to run a business(of any kind) without hiring low age aliens (or raising rents 100s of $$), then you can't afford TO BE IN BUSINESS AT ALL. And you shouldn't be in business, period. And you should do what all the rest of us (who can't afford it) do. GET A JOB.
Who are you to dictate terms to business people? Oh that's right, a welfare bum. Trolling the productive with dictates on how they spend their earnings and who they hire to maximise return on investment.

Who are you to dictate terms to business people? Oh that's right, a welfare bum. Trolling the productive with dictates on how they spend their earnings and who they hire to maximise return on investment.
I'm retired, collecting a VA pension and Social Security, both of which were EARNED. So you call find somebody else to throw your little "welfare bum" line at. And I wonder if your income if 1/10 as much earned as mine is.

Who am I to dictate ? A veteran. A 50+ year taxpayer. A citizen with free speech. And who are you to tell me to not exercise that freedom of speech, other than some babbling boob. GET A JOB, whiner.

I'm retired, collecting a VA pension and Social Security, both of which were EARNED. So you call find somebody else to throw your little "welfare bum" line at. And I wonder if your income if 1/10 as much earned as mine is.

Who am I to dictate ? A veteran. A 50+ year taxpayer. A citizen with free speech. And who are you to tell me to not exercise that freedom of speech, other than some babbling boob.
A welfare queen, riding on the back of taxpayers.

Who am I to dictate ? A veteran. A 50+ year taxpayer. A citizen with free speech. And who are you to tell me to not exercise that freedom of speech, other than some babbling boob. GET A JOB, whiner.

That doesn’t give you the right to dictate to Americans how they should conduct their business and to restrict individual liberty.

You are a statist.

So you purport to know all about the "market support" for the area that I live in, do you ? Well answer this, Mr. Knowledge > If the "market support" is so good for $300-400/month rent increases, then why is this the ONLY apartment complex for miles around, that is raising rents this way ?

What do I think the landlord will do with the extra money ? I think he'll buy jewels, 10 sportscars, or some other wasteful, stupid thing, or do nothing with it. You think he needs this extra money ? Not hardly. And if he did, that still wouldn't be any reason to raise rents to exhorbitant amounts, causing people to uproot their lives.

For all the landlords in this thread who have been crabbing about all the stuff they have to pay for, I say the same thing that I have said 100 times in this forum to business owners who hire low-wage aliens. If you can't afford to run a business(of any kind) without hiring low wage aliens (or raising rents 100s of $$), then you can't afford TO BE IN BUSINESS AT ALL. And you shouldn't be in business, period. And you should do what all the rest of us (who can't afford it) do. GET A JOB.

And no, I'm not a statist. I just see the state as having certain functions. With regard to business (as a former business owner myself) I'd prefer the state be involved with business as little as possible. But raising apartment rents 60% ? Yes, that calls for some state support, and I'm not the slightest bit shy to say it. Just being OK with the state taking action, in certain things, that doesn't mean you're a "statist" (is that word just a cover for someone not wanting to say "liberal")

If anybody wants to point fingers at those who accept some "state" intervention, let's see what they have to say about ICE, Border Patrol, and the National Guard.

If the landlord is increasing rent above what the market bears, then move to a more reasonably priced unit elsewhere.

Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy.

And it's none of your business how your landlord spends his money. It's his, not yours.

You are a statist.

You sure sound like a leftist.

Leftists often decry how the wealthy spend their money. It’s none of your business how the capitalist spends his money. But you want the government to restrict how much income he can earn. How’s that any different than what Obama believes?

If it’s the only place raising rents, you should have no problem finding a place nearby.

"I'm a conservative...but". What does that mean? Is it assumed that most conservatives are for rent gouging?

Forum List

Back