Yes, I'm a Conservative, But SOME Rent Control IS Necesary

It's happening again. 2 years ago I and hundred of others in my apartment complex were forced out of our homes (apartments), when a new landlord bought the complex we were living in, and immediately raised our rents from $550/month to $900/month (for a 1 bedroom).

Now the complex I'm living in (which I came to, to escape from the previous one), has also been bought, and this new owner, like in the other complex, has also raised the rents very high. From $600/month to $850/mo.

There are certain things to take note of here. This is not a typical apartment complex. Although there is no age restriction, almost all the residents here are senior citizens, retired, and on LOW fixed incomes. Many do not own a car. Must are unable to move, and the housing market here (Tampa, FL) is such that there simply is no place to move to around here that is less than about $900/mo for 1 bdrm. Most residents are trapped here, and either cannot pay the new rent, or like myself, can just barely pay it, and still cover other necessities.

So one greed freak, ignoring the fact that the complex is much more than just HIS business, it is also the homes of hundreds of people, looks at this as nothing but a lucrative cash cow to manipulate, just for him.

So now we get to the real crux of all this. It comes down to what government is. Why it exists. It is here for the PROTECTION of the people. It is FOR the people. As much as l respect business ownership and private enterprise (I owned my own business for 12 years in the past), I recognize that business owners should not be be allowed to do ANYTHING. Rights of private property must have limits where the public would be excessively burdened to the point of some people becoming homeless.

As is the case with any business, owners cannot be allowed to do anything at all. Amusement park owners must comply with regulations that keep their roller coasters and other rides, safe. Builders must meet codes that restrict asbestos and other carcenogenic materials, and those that would allow buildings to collapse.

It should be noted that unlike musical instruments, fishing equipment, computers, and stuff that are not necessities, housing is among the group of things that people HAVE TO HAVE. That makes its position unique, relative to government Only food is as essential. And when there is no alternative, the public should be protected by business price gouging. Gasoline, food, housing, electricity, and other necessities do require SOME degree of regulation.

Let's hear what some people who are in this predicament have to say, not those who own homes and don't face danger of becoming homeless. THis is far more than just somebody's economic ideology, who has no personal housing worries.
Free Market Enterprise, Trumper. Might as well get an EBT card while you are at getting rent subsidies. Asshole.

I live in an apartment complex, that recently was bought by a new landlord. That landlord has been increasing expired lease rents by as much as 60%. Imagine that your rent is $600/month and suddenly it's damn near $1,000/month.

Whoa! For low income seniors on Social Security and small pensions, this aint gonna fly. Actually, younger people still in the workforce with higher incomes, aren't taking to well to it either. Practically everybody in this complex is moving out. Some people are moving in and paying the higher rents, but not as many as are moving out. I've never seen so many moving vans in my life.

Next May, I will be moving out too, and still haven't figured out where to move to. I have limitations because of a low credit score and income, but I'll find someplace, even if it's not as good as where I am now.

All this is because Florida has no limit of what landlords can raise rents to. The only thing limiting them is new residents' capability to pay, and what they are able to rent apartments for.

But there is another side to this, This isn't oil or minerals mined from the ground. It's not furniture being made and sold. This is about PEOPLE. And it's about people who have been living in this complex for years, and these apartments are their HOMES. One woman who just moved out, had been living here for 25 years. Longtime neighbor-friendships are being obliterated.

If landlords NEED to raise rents, (say 10% or less) for some reason, that's understandable, but to raise them by HUNDREDS of dollars, just for GREED, is not what we ought to be OK with in this country. When hundreds of people are forced out of their homes, this is unacceptable. As is the case with most conservatives, I also favor deregulation of business, but this is one case that is screaming for MORE regulation, to a reasonable degree.
Of course you make no sense. Do you want regulation of all prices or just the ones you don't like?

Another automatic stabilizer is when able bodied people get a job. And that is what unemployment compensation was created for, to hold people over until they get another job.
You obviously understand nothing about equality or equal protection of the laws.

The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States.

You obviously understand nothing about equality or equal protection of the laws.

The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States.

Equality? You are capable of working, but choose to remain unemployed and you want the gov't to take my hard earned money, by force, and give it to you for no reason? You have done nothing to earn it.

Like I have said, your plan will have UC shut down. There is no way the states can afford the billions of dollars it would cost.

Get on welfare.

Equality? You are capable of working, but choose to remain unemployed and you want the gov't to take my hard earned money, by force, and give it to you for no reason?
Just admit you don't care about equal protection of the laws or the laws in general unless you can practice the abomination of hypocrisy (unto God with a McCarthy era phrase in our pledge) in border threads.

Just admit you don't care about equal protection of the laws or the laws in general unless you can practice the abomination of hypocrisy (unto God with a McCarthy era phrase in our pledge) in border threads.

Why don't you just admit you only champion this cause so you can get a check and not have to do a damn thing.

Why don't you just admit you only champion this cause so you can get a check and not have to do a damn thing.
Because inequality and unequal protection of the laws is a real economic problem that can easily be solved.

Because inequality and unequal protection of the laws is a real economic problem that can easily be solved.

They are entitled to collect unemployment, whenever they qualify. No bum checks.

They are entitled to collect unemployment, whenever they qualify. No bum checks.
Who cares what right-wingers allege is legal to the law in border threads.

Job 34:30 That the hypocrite reign not, lest the people be ensnared.

But it creates an even worse inequality in that one person works to support himself, while another is supported by living off that persons labors.

Why do you get paid to do nothing while others must work to support themselves?

Who cares what right-wingers allege is legal to the law in border threads.

Job 34:30 That the hypocrite reign not, lest the people be ensnared.

This has nothing to do with borders. And quoting Job is worthless, since US laws cannot be based solely on biblical laws.

But it creates an even worse inequality in that one person works to support himself, while another is supported by living off that persons labors.

Why do you get paid to do nothing while others must work to support themselves?
You merely make up stories, storyteller. Nobody is making you work in an at-will employment State.

A bible tells us to not take hypocrites seriously. The "gospel Truth" according to Scripture.

You are welcome to your scripture. How about 1st Timothy 5:8?
"Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever."

So your own hypocrisy is blatant. You want to use the scripture for your own ends, not as any show of faith.

lol. You make it seem like you don't understand capitalism or economics. Why would everyone want to do that?

Why would anyone want to do that? I work so I can provide for myself and my family. I work so I can enjoy the finer things in life. I worked so I could retire early and enjoy traveling.

You want someone else to work so you can survive on subsistence wages and get to be lazy.

Forum List

Back