"You didn't get there on your own"

I can hardly believe that this is what people think the Constitution says. Where did they learn this? The community center?

If a business is successful today, it is in SPITE of the government, not because of it. This latest bit of nonsense by obama does need to be headlined every day, by the hour so that business people know exactly what he thinks of them.

Agreed! For it is the Independents who will be doing the thinking.

O. is just desperate to feed his base ammunition and hope it spreads to other "victims" of capitalism.....you know, the middle-class that business owners created, by providing them jobs and wages....

Yep. Erect so many roadblocks that businesses DO fail...then Government says it's the fault OF businesses.

The ink was barely dry on the Constitution when the government began helping industry, and govenment has helped business ever since. An example of the different philosophies was exhibited during the Great Depression when conservatives and Hoover believed it was business that should be rescued and so money was made available to industry. Industry, of course, sat on the money waiting for people to begin buying. and with no money the people didn't buy. FDR believed it was people that needed help. Those beliefs have never changed since Hamilton, and are still with us.

Actually, the "Self-Made" myth was used by American families who climbed up the ladder using the full benefits of public investments but who - once they reached the top - no longer wanted to pay into the system that benefited them.

Ronald Reagan is a perfect example. He grew up in a poor family that was on the way to being crushed by the Great Depression. Reagan's father was saved by an FDR work program - a BIG Government work program literally saved Ronald Reagan. FDR's theory was that the American people had greatness inside them. And that all you needed to do was give them a leg-up during hdd times, than then they would survive and thrive. FDR called it an investment in human capital. Do you think this nation's public or government investment in the Reagan family paid off? But it wasn't just the Reagans. Countless returning veterans from WWII were put to work by Republican presidents like Eisenhower building this nation's interstate's and energy grids and water plants. Big Government put jobless people to work building modern industrial America - and all of today's profit makers are dependent on ll the advantages of a modern industrial state. Indeed, there was a massive public investment in turning America into the most technologically advanced nation earth. This had a huge multiplier effect enjoyed by business. Today, however, we don't invest in infrastructure; nope - we just sell it to China because of the free market logic of selling to the highest bidder. [You fucking morons. The market isn't patriotic. It will sell everything you own until you lose your country to outsiders]

Private profits in the Southwest would not exist but for the Hoover Dam. The technology that fueled the 80s consumer electronics boom came out of the Cold War Pentagon/NASA. All the people who profit wildly because of these public investments use the self-made myth to avoid paying anything back. Therefore,, we have to cut education and let new infrastructureprojects go unfinished so that we can keep letting the wealthy walk away with everything. The country is dying because we have been taken over by an Ayn Rand narrative which 100% ignores how dependent business and the wealthy are on the Public.

When America was at it's economic apex in the 50s and 60s, there was a proud and successful partnership between business and government. Indeed, business craves this partnership. This is why they build massive lobbying bases in Washington, so they can suckle at the public teet in the back of the room; and then they slither out of that dark room pockets stuffed with public money, and they use the "self-made" myth so they don't have to pay taxes on all the benefits they're sucking from the system.

The anti-tax revolution has always been about maximizing what you take from government and the public, but paying as little back as possible. This includes moving all your profits offshore, like Romney. The point is to suck this country dry. To use all it's free resources, and then not pay anything back to future. This has been going on for 30 years, It was the point of the Reagan Revolution: to increase what the private sector takes from the pubic (in terms of subsidies, bail-outs, and regulatory favors) while radically decreasing what they pay back.

And it was kind of funny to watch it happen. As the wealthy began to gain control over more and more wealth, they also gained control of the Republican Party, who now 100% works for this small collection of ultra wealthy corporate interests. They began shipping jobs to freedom-hating labor markets (mostly in communist China) in order to realize a higher return on investment. Companies like Bain were essential to this transfer of jobs to China on behalf of a small collection of American investors. All the while they'd say "give us tax cuts, and we'll give you more jobs." So we gave them more and more tax cuts and they'd ship more and more jobs to China. It was hoax, and only naive people who listened to talk radio and FOX News bought it.

This is not a compacted story. The wealthy took over this country. They bought Washington and mass media. They locked down our laws and then they promoted a self-made myth to keep from having to pay back all the resources and subsidies they sucked from the system. (You people have no idea how much they rely on publicly funded infrastructure and public subsidies and public FDIC laws and public regulations which provect their monopolies.) The only way they get away with this shit is because Republican voters don't know how to question their information sources.

Dude, the only thing business has to be grateful for government is when there government is restricted from meddling IN their business.

That is the role of the Constitution. Keeping government from becoming too powerful and destroying our land of opportunity.

Ronald Reagan said it best:

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.

Ronald Reagan addresses the nation at his First Inaugural Address.

Government Is The Problem Sound Clip , Quote, MP3, and Ringtone

What's that got to to with it.

This is still able bodied LAZY PEOPLE trying to hide behide the handicapped, demanding the hard work of others.

You always move other people's goalposts? Don't let them hide behind your backbreaking work.

All you are whining about is you can't refute what I said.

YOu are trying to hide behind the handicapped because you know your greed for other people's money is ONLY TOO OBVIOUS, so you must hide.

I can hardly believe that this is what people think the Constitution says. Where did they learn this? The community center?

If a business is successful today, it is in SPITE of the government, not because of it. This latest bit of nonsense by obama does need to be headlined every day, by the hour so that business people know exactly what he thinks of them.

O. is just desperate to feed his base ammunition and hope it spreads to other "victims" of capitalism.....you know, the middle-class that business owners created, by providing them jobs and wages....

Yep. Erect so many roadblocks that businesses DO fail...then Government says it's the fault OF businesses.

The American middle class was built on the individual pursuit of the American dream. The federal government exists solely to ensure that your pursuit of the American dream is not infringed upon by another individual or the state. It is not the job of the federal government to provide this American dream to you.

What's that got to to with it.

This is still able bodied LAZY PEOPLE trying to hide behide the handicapped, demanding the hard work of others.

You always move other people's goalposts? Don't let them hide behind your backbreaking work.

YOu are trying to hide behind the handicapped because you know your greed for other people's money is ONLY TOO OBVIOUS, so you must hide.

It's what Statists do. pretend to champion the downtrodden...and then enslave them.

Helloooooooooooooooo! Did you EVER read the 10th Amendment?

Show me where that has been repealed?

l:

All the 10th amendment does is let states do what the federal government doesn't prohibit. It's like a mom telling her kid, you can stay out as long as you like as long as you're home by 10.

Actually, it doesn't even do that much. It lets the states retain their original powers that they possessed prior to the ratification of the constitution. That's why states don't have the power to establish their own term limits for their own members of Congress, for example. Don't let yourself fall into their Tenther BS.

Because a certain USSC rules something does not make it part of the Constitution.

Or you saying Dredd Scott was Constitutional?

Or are you saying Citizens UNITED is Constitutional?

(can't wait to see libs double talk their way out of that!) :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The American middle class was built on the individual pursuit of the American dream. The federal government exists solely to ensure that your pursuit of the American dream is not infringed upon by another individual or the state. It is not the job of the federal government to provide this American dream to you.

Precisely the point.

The ink was barely dry on the Constitution when the government began helping industry, and govenment has helped business ever since. An example of the different philosophies was exhibited during the Great Depression when conservatives and Hoover believed it was business that should be rescued and so money was made available to industry. Industry, of course, sat on the money waiting for people to begin buying. and with no money the people didn't buy. FDR believed it was people that needed help. Those beliefs have never changed since Hamilton, and are still with us.

Government has always helped business, but you have to jump approximately 123 years since the signing of the Constitution to find an example???????

Bwaahaaaaa!

Can you libs even spell rationalization?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Society did not train my employees. Most went on to get some college that they not society paid for. And when they get to me They still have to go though months of on the job traing that I pay them for.

To hear you talk it seems you think anyone fresh out of high school can just be plugged into any position in a business. Sorry but that is a fantasy that only people who never had employees hold.

I don't think that's what he's saying. HS grads might not have all the skills necessary for a technical job but they should have the basics. Imagine having to get a complete illiterate up to speed on anything but the most menial job.

So whenthey fail? What does government do?

Hand out hundreds of billions of dollars in bailouts. Because it hates businesses so much.

Are you saying the small businesses that Obama targeted in his speech, get government bailouts????????????

SINCE WHEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You libs are so full of it!

Obama isn't arguing that he should bailout small businesses!

HE'S SAYING SMALL BUSINESS SHOULD BAIL HIM OUT!

Last edited:

Unemployment averaged 20% for FDR's first 2 terms and only abated after Hitler conquered France

How did FDR help people?

Obama is taking an interesting and dangerous approach on the campaign trail, telling successful business owners that they "didn't get there on their own", that their success is predicated in part on the labor and efforts (and taxes) of others. This gives the GOP an opening to say, "see, he hates business owners, we told you so."

On the other hand, it opens up a national conversation that I've never seen before, building on Elizabeth Warren's comments as she runs for office.

This tactic is flying right into the teeth of the GOP's strength, that business and employers are the key to economic success. He's betting that the GOP, so controlled by absolutists right now, is going to look anti-ALL workers, not just union.

Pretty brave, and I think it's a good conversation to have.

Obama Mocks Rich: 'You Didn't Get There On Your Own'

Oh he totally screwed himself with that comment...

He basically insulted every self-made successful individual when he said that.

It really goes to show how fucked up Obama actually is and it sheds light on the notion that he certainly believes that government should play a central role in every individuals life and that government should play a central role in every business...

He may as well should have came out and said: "you don't make you successful - government makes you successful."

Obama is such an arrogant piece of shit....

Unemployment averaged 20% for FDR's first 2 terms and only abated after Hitler conquered France

How did FDR help people?

He didn't! The prosperity everyone eqautes with FDR didn't happen until the Eisenhower admin (and ooops! He was a Republican) :eusa_shhh:

So whenthey fail? What does government do?

Hand out hundreds of billions of dollars in bailouts. Because it hates businesses so much.

NOT the function of government. Where is it in the Constitution that outlays bailouts for failing businesses? The Federalist Papers I'm sure had something to say about it, right? The Anti-Federalists?

What YOU want is an abridgement of LIBERTY government is supposed to protect.

*FAIL*

Society did not train my employees. Most went on to get some college that they not society paid for. And when they get to me They still have to go though months of on the job traing that I pay them for.

To hear you talk it seems you think anyone fresh out of high school can just be plugged into any position in a business. Sorry but that is a fantasy that only people who never had employees hold.

I don't think that's what he's saying. HS grads might not have all the skills necessary for a technical job but they should have the basics. Imagine having to get a complete illiterate up to speed on anything but the most menial job.

Hey that quote is mislabeled.

I would never post anything so inane. That honor belongs to rightwinger

Sorry, I only wanted to address one issue and there was a tangle of quotation gobbledygoo. Guess I must've untangled it wrong.

While laws may not be part of the Constitution, they are constitutional until the Court rules othewise. We may be obeying laws today that have never been before the Court, as most laws, and are unconstitutional.

I'm not whining about anything. And I was never trying to refute what you said. If you hadn't noticed, I my comment wasn't even directed at you. It was directed at two entirely different people. All you're doing now is tearing down straw men.

YOu are trying to hide behind the handicapped

I'm going to politely advise you to move away from trying to make claims about my feelings and view of the disabled, particularly allegations that I would somehow try to take advantage of the disabled. My younger brother has a disability not entirely unlike Mr. Hawking's condition.

because you know your greed for other people's money is ONLY TOO OBVIOUS, so you must hide.

You've got one thing right here, I do have a greed for other people's money. That's why I work hard at my job to maximize the profitability of my company, and enjoy great success at aggressively achieving the greatest possible revenues I can for my company. It's also why I zealously sell my case in every discussion I have with my supervisors to convince them to pay me as much as I can so convince them of doing. It's also why I also maintain a secondary "side" business of my own, where I again aggressively pursue every opportunity I can generate revenues, gain as many new clients as I can (and as many as my schedule permits), for maximum profit.

The only people who don't have greed for other people's money are lazy people.

Helloooooooooooooooo! Did you EVER read the 10th Amendment?

Show me where that has been repealed?

l:

All the 10th amendment does is let states do what the federal government doesn't prohibit. It's like a mom telling her kid, you can stay out as long as you like as long as you're home by 10.

Then explain that POWER component of the 10th Amendment?

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

Tenth Amendment | U.S. Constitution | LII / Legal Information Institute

All this is says is powers not given to the Federal government NOR PROHIBITED TO THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, goes to the states.

You cannot back up your assertion.

nor prohibited by it to the states

The 'it' in that statement is the Constitution. The phrase means the states can do as they please unless what they please is prohibited by the Constitution.

The Supremacy Clause says the states can make no laws that conflict with the Constitution or Federal law.

The Supremacy Clause:

"This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the constitution or laws of any state to the contrary notwithstanding."

Forum List

Back