"You have humiliated us"

He's retired, he doesn't need clearance, revoke it
Why?

Using this as an intimidation tactic to silence critics is disturbing.
Quit or get fired from your job tomorrow and see if you get to keep the keys to the building,
When I had a security clearance, and left that job, the clearance stayed with me until it expired and would have been renewed.

People seem to be confused about what a security clearance means. It is not the keys to the building. Have a clearance does not give you the ability to demand access to anything.

Depends on the clearance, whether need to know is involved.
Top Secret Clearance is compartmentalized
Meaning you have restricted access to certain areas

But you still can carry it over to other areas without having to start the clearance process from scratch

I don't know what all the fuss is about. Once you leave the military you definitely will lose your clearance by being debriefed and signing documents that you will never divulge any classified material, unless you go to work as a civilian in a government job that requires a clearance. Why all those people still have a clearance is beyond comprehension.

And that Admiral running his mouth and writing that op-ed is a no no. It's only because he's a progressive liberal puke without an ounce of honor and he knows all the Trump haters will defend his attack on Trump. Fuck him, bigly.

Why?

Quit or get fired from your job tomorrow and see if you get to keep the keys to the building,

It is not the keys to the building

A clearance shows you have been thoroughly investigated and are authorized access to classified data

There are more than one “buildings” that require clearance in both the public and private sector
You've retired or been dismissed from your job. You don't need or deserve access to any building or information.

You still can go to other positions that require access to classified information
Then go get a new clearance. You either retired in which we no longer need you or you were fired and we sure as hell don't need you. Either way you don;t need a security clearance.

Ret. Navy Admiral to Trump: ‘I Would Consider It an Honor if You Would Revoke My Security Clearance’
McRaven-4.jpg

a Washington Post op-ed Thursday afternoon. Few Americans have done more to protect this country than John. He is a man of unparalleled integrity, whose honesty and character have never been in question, except by those who don’t know him."

ADVERTISING
McRaven gave 37 years of his life to the Navy before retiring in 2014 with the honor of being the longest serving Navy SEAL to still be on duty.

"Therefore, I would consider it an honor if you would revoke my security clearance as well, so I can add my name to the list of men and women who have spoken up against your presidency," McRaven continues.

Admiral McRaven also served as the first director of the NATO Special Operations Forces Coordination Centre (NSCC), and ninth commander of the United States Special Operations Command, and just retired as chancellor of the University of Texas System.

"Through your actions, you have embarrassed us in the eyes of our children, humiliated us on the world stage and, worst of all, divided us as a nation," the Admiral continues. "If you think for a moment that your McCarthy-era tactics will suppress the voices of criticism, you are sadly mistaken."

The Post includes this short clip of McRaven calling Trump's attack on the free press as "the enemy of the American people," possibly "the greatest threat to democracy" in his lifetime.
Why didn't he lose his security clearance the minute he retired? That should have been automatic.
Because veterans with that much wealth of experience, are valued as important sources of advice and consultation. that only comes from years and years of empirical experience. If today's commanders are unable to consult with these valuable assets the military is weakened. Purging rhe best from the table is a fool's mistake.
He retired. Which means probably next to nobody is even asking him for input to anything. And if he's retired and not on the job the last thing he needs is top security information about anything. Go be retired. Your services are no longer needed.
He retired from a high ranking position
That does not mean he just goes fishing and plays golf

Most retired Generals and Admirals still get called in for consulting work which requires access to classified information

And if (when) such services are needed, then he can get security clearance once again. What's the problem?
The problem is that our security clearance system is overwhelmed with investigations. It takes one to two years to get your final clearance. That is why they are valid for ten years

Ret. Navy Admiral to Trump: ‘I Would Consider It an Honor if You Would Revoke My Security Clearance’
McRaven-4.jpg

a Washington Post op-ed Thursday afternoon. Few Americans have done more to protect this country than John. He is a man of unparalleled integrity, whose honesty and character have never been in question, except by those who don’t know him."

ADVERTISING
McRaven gave 37 years of his life to the Navy before retiring in 2014 with the honor of being the longest serving Navy SEAL to still be on duty.

"Therefore, I would consider it an honor if you would revoke my security clearance as well, so I can add my name to the list of men and women who have spoken up against your presidency," McRaven continues.

Admiral McRaven also served as the first director of the NATO Special Operations Forces Coordination Centre (NSCC), and ninth commander of the United States Special Operations Command, and just retired as chancellor of the University of Texas System.

"Through your actions, you have embarrassed us in the eyes of our children, humiliated us on the world stage and, worst of all, divided us as a nation," the Admiral continues. "If you think for a moment that your McCarthy-era tactics will suppress the voices of criticism, you are sadly mistaken."

The Post includes this short clip of McRaven calling Trump's attack on the free press as "the enemy of the American people," possibly "the greatest threat to democracy" in his lifetime.

Hahahahahaha

Revoke it. The people who currently whine about their *press* status are the enemy of the people .And so is he.

McRaven-4.jpg

ADVERTISING

Why didn't he lose his security clearance the minute he retired? That should have been automatic.
Because veterans with that much wealth of experience, are valued as important sources of advice and consultation. that only comes from years and years of empirical experience. If today's commanders are unable to consult with these valuable assets the military is weakened. Purging rhe best from the table is a fool's mistake.
He retired. Which means probably next to nobody is even asking him for input to anything. And if he's retired and not on the job the last thing he needs is top security information about anything. Go be retired. Your services are no longer needed.

Most retired Generals and Admirals still get called in for consulting work which requires access to classified information

And if (when) such services are needed, then he can get security clearance once again. What's the problem?
It is expensive and time consuming. Why repeat it unnecessarily?

Why, only now, is it suddenly necessary to revoke them? Ever an issue before.

I don't know what all the fuss is about. Once you leave the military you definitely will lose your clearance by being debriefed and signing documents that you will never divulge any classified material, unless you go to work as a civilian in a government job that requires a clearance. Why all those people still have a clearance is beyond comprehension.

And that Admiral running his mouth and writing that op-ed is a no no. It's only because he's a progressive liberal puke without an ounce of honor and he knows all the Trump haters will defend his attack on Trump. Fuck him, bigly.

Well said Hossfly!

Thank you!

Why do people who no longer work in the intelligence community need security clearance? I have seen this question asked by many different people but I have yet to see a good reason given for them to have it. If you work at a company in the private sector and have access to highly sensitive company information it's highly unlikely they will let you continue to have access to it when you leave the company.
Purging your military and or intelligence services of the best sources of empirical experience, advisors, and consultants for politicals is just stupid.
He was not purged his appointment ended and he was replaced by Mike Pompeo and he has now moved on to a TV gig which he does not need a security clearance to do. If people who serve in military and or intelligence services can not put their personal feelings towards the President they serve aside they don't need to be there doesn't matter who the President is.

Why?

When I had a security clearance, and left that job, the clearance stayed with me until it expired and would have been renewed.

People seem to be confused about what a security clearance means. It is not the keys to the building. Have a clearance does not give you the ability to demand access to anything.

As a truck driver, I have to have TSA security clearance to make air freight deliveries. Every year we have to take a class, pass a written test 100%, get cleared by the federal government background check, and then proceed to our duties.

It's told to us right from the beginning: once you leave your company as a driver, your TSA certification is invalid. The certification belongs to the company that had you certified in the first place even though it's a federal requirement.

Why?

It is not the keys to the building

A clearance shows you have been thoroughly investigated and are authorized access to classified data

There are more than one “buildings” that require clearance in both the public and private sector
You've retired or been dismissed from your job. You don't need or deserve access to any building or information.

You still can go to other positions that require access to classified information
Then go get a new clearance. You either retired in which we no longer need you or you were fired and we sure as hell don't need you. Either way you don;t need a security clearance.
Many, many soldiers and sailors just leave the service either through retirement or completing their enlistment

These people have skills that are in demand in the private or public sector. These jobs require a clearance
To wipe out their clearance and make them start from scratch can take well over a year to get a new clearance

Why is Trump selectively, and politically revoking clearances?

Have those people done anything to warrant it?

Is it across the board revoking all clearances for those no longer “needing” them?

Or is it vindictive, from a man who can’t tolerate criticism?

Why?

You do understand that clearance and access are 2 completely different things, right?
Everyone here knows that except the progressive liberal pukes. They don't know diddly.

McRaven-4.jpg

ADVERTISING

Problem is our military and intelligence services have had a tradition and doctrine of allowing commanders to use previous commanders as consultants and hence the ability to consult with senior experienced advisors and a new guy in rhe WH with absolutely no experience in military and intelligence affairs has thrown a monkey wrench into rhe system as a purely political gimmick.

Why?

As a truck driver, I have to have TSA security clearance to make air freight deliveries. Every year we have to take a class, pass a written test 100%, get cleared by the federal government background check, and then proceed to our duties.

It's told to us right from the beginning: once you leave your company as a driver, your TSA certification is invalid. The certification belongs to the company that had you certified in the first place even though it's a federal requirement.
I don’t know about TSA, but when I had a clearance it went with me. If I had switched to another job requiring one, I would not have had to get it redone.

Why is Trump selectively, and politically revoking clearances?

Have those people done anything to warrant it?

Is it across the board revoking all clearances for those no longer “needing” them?

Or is it vindictive, from a man who can’t tolerate criticism?
It is done to intimidate

He put others on notice that if they continue to criticize him, he will restrict their future employment

Problem is our military and intelligence services have had a tradition and doctrine of allowing commanders to use previous commanders as consultants and hence the ability to consult with senior experienced advisors and a new guy in rhe WH with absolutely no experience in military and intelligence affairs has thrown a monkey wrench into rhe system as a purely political gimmick.
And it is very valuable to be able to consult like that.

Forum List

Back