You want to tax the wealthy?

How about cut the Federal budget near to half, at least Bidumb's addition to such, then you won't need so much more tax revenue.

How would you define "wealthy"?

If the "wealthy" pay more in taxes, that is less they can invest into economic growth, which likely has more effect and value than what the Fed Guv'mint would do.

Here's a Compromise tax the wealthy but repeal the. 16th amendment and abolish the income taxes. That way the middle class can afford to pay higher prices when buying necessities like food clothes shelter.
You are trying to negotiate with fascistic tyrants?

It does not work that way

If they say jump, you ask how far.

Right, it's the poor that should be on the hook for the $30 trillion in debt.

No it's time to give them a dirt nap but I will give them the option. Dirt nap or compromise.
You are talking to the masters of taxation and manipulation

For example, did you know that Prohibition was nothing but an elaborate plan to force the Federal Income tax on us all?

Before the start of the 20th century, the Progressives tried to sneak in a Federal Income tax, but SCOTUS declared it unconstitutional. Undeterred, they then set out to get support for adding it to the Constitution. They then saw that the Federal government was funded primarily by alcohol sales, so they cam up with the scheme to ban it, thus forcing another source of revenue. So they teamed up with evangelicals to outlaw alcohol, knowing that the Federal income tax would then be needed to fund the government. So the evangelicals agreed as they first passed the Constitutional amendment for a federal income tax, then Prohibition came later.

But then the Progressives, who were largely in power, did not enforce Prohibition as they let bootleggers come to the Capital itself to sell alcohol to those in Congress, thus letting Prohibition fail and then repealing the amendment. They never intended on Prohibition working other than a hand full of naive evangelicals.

At the end of the day, the Federal government now had two tax revenues, the federal income tax AND the sale of alcohol.

That is the type of manipulative schemers you are dealing with here.

You are talking to the masters of taxation and manipulation

For example, did you know that Prohibition was nothing but an elaborate plan to force the Federal Income tax on us all?

Before the start of the 20th century, the Progressives tried to sneak in a Federal Income tax, but SCOTUS declared it unconstitutional. Undeterred, they then set out to get support for adding it to the Constitution. They then saw that the Federal government was funded primarily by alcohol sales, so they cam up with the scheme to ban it, thus forcing another source of revenue. So they teamed up with evangelicals to outlaw alcohol, knowing that the Federal income tax would then be needed to fund the government. So the evangelicals agreed as they first passed the Constitutional amendment for a federal income tax, then Prohibition came later.

But then the Progressives, who were largely in power, did not enforce Prohibition as they let bootleggers come to the Capital itself to sell alcohol to those in Congress, thus letting Prohibition fail and then repealing the amendment. They never intended on Prohibition working other than a hand full of naive evangelicals.

At the end of the day, the Federal government now had two tax revenues, the federal income tax AND the sale of alcohol.

That is the type of manipulative schemers you are dealing with here.

The tax of 1894 was not ruled unconstitutional because an income tax would be unconstitutional (Lincoln enacted one to pay for the Civil War) it was ruled unconstitutional because it wasn't apportioned according to the Constitution as it was at the time. ie: If say Virginia was 7% of the population it couldn't be required to provide more than 7% of the income tax.

The 16th Amendment did not make income taxes constitutional, it changed the apportioned requirements.

That passed in 1913, so we had the current income tax in 1913, Prohibition didn't start until 1920.

Are you attempting to argue we could finance the government on alcohol taxes?

I can understand rich congressmen and their billionaire patrons not wanting to tax the biggest accumulation of wealth in human history but I'll never understand working/middle class republicans being so against it. It's almost like they want to keep things low for the day they become billionaires.

Why would we want to tax the wealthy?

1661082013020.jpeg

The wealthy already pay taxes.

Even if they personally as an individual did not pay taxes their companies sure did pay them. There are so few individual wealthy people going after their own individual taxes would still amount to nothing in the overall scheme of things.

I'd be a hypocrite if I said we should tax them and run them through the ringer. Because if I had the money and resources to pay little or no taxes you better believe I would. No on wants to pay taxes, and you and I wouldn't if we could afford tax attorneys and lawyers to make it happen.

Besides if you tax the wealthy and tax companies too much we end up paying for it when they raise prices, move business out of the country, elminate jobs, cut back on quality etc in order to make up for that loss.

The real answer is to stop printing much god damn money and throwing it around willy nilly. It's to stop importing everything and start exporting to increase the strength of the dollar. It's to back our money with tangible assests instead of it being backed by promises. Do those things and the dollar is stronger and our debt market is better. "Tax the rich" is just a ploy to allow more taxation on everyone by making it seem like they are going after the rich, but the people who put this kind of thing into effect are the rich, they won't sacrifice their own security.

Even if they personally as an individual did not pay taxes their companies sure did pay them. There are so few individual wealthy people going after their own individual taxes would still amount to nothing in the overall scheme of things.

I'd be a hypocrite if I said we should tax them and run them through the ringer. Because if I had the money and resources to pay little or no taxes you better believe I would. No on wants to pay taxes, and you and I wouldn't if we could afford tax attorneys and lawyers to make it happen.

But you still want roads, police, fire protection, etc etc etc. You are arguing you love your free stuff.

Besides if you tax the wealthy and tax companies too much we end up paying for it when they raise prices, move business out of the country, elminate jobs, cut back on quality etc in order to make up for that loss.

The real answer is to stop printing much god damn money and throwing it around willy nilly. It's to stop importing everything and start exporting to increase the strength of the dollar. It's to back our money with tangible assests instead of it being backed by promises. Do those things and the dollar is stronger and our debt market is better. "Tax the rich" is just a ploy to allow more taxation on everyone by making it seem like they are going after the rich, but the people who put this kind of thing into effect are the rich, they won't sacrifice their own security.

We are never going to stop printing until other countries start making what we print worthless and that is going to happen. People LOVE all this free money but they do not want to actually pay the price for it. It's not going to end well.

So the bottom don't pay any taxed but get the benefits

Most, not all but most of the bottom eventually move up in tax brackets.

Are you really going to argue to fund the country on the poor just getting started?

We have a historical record of past tax rates on the wealthy and corporations

Times when we had more revenue for modern infrastructure, schools, healthcare

Since we embraced Supply Side Economics and reduced the tax rate on the wealthy, more of that burden has shifted to working Americans

But you still want roads, police, fire protection, etc etc etc. You are arguing you love your free stuff.

We are never going to stop printing until other countries start making what we print worthless and that is going to happen. People LOVE all this free money but they do not want to actually pay the price for it. It's not going to end well.
According to rightwinger the bottom doesn't pay taxes and they enjoy the benefits of roads police fire etc.

Most, not all but most of the bottom eventually move up in tax brackets.

Are you really going to argue to fund the country on the poor just getting started?
Some move up but the rest happily stay where they are

According to rightwinger the bottom doesn't pay taxes and they enjoy the benefits of roads police fire etc.

Good point
The wealthy profit off of that infrastructure and benefit the most from police, fire and military protection

Forum List

Back