14 year old boy to get year in jail for wearing NRA T-shirt

When they gained the right to tell students that they can't wear nose rings, or saggy pants, or have brightly colored hair.

If those are the rules, those are the rules, but they have no rule that says you can't wear a T-shirt with a slogan on it.

Then they may be wanting to change that rule, because the lad could challenge it in court.

You mean he will be challenging it in court if they are stupid enough to prosecute.

When did the schools gain this right?

When they gained the right to tell students that they can't wear nose rings, or saggy pants, or have brightly colored hair.

If those are the rules, those are the rules, but they have no rule that says you can't wear a T-shirt with a slogan on it.

The slogan isn't the issue, the picture of a gun is.

Not saying I agree with this rule in particular, but a school has the right to police a dress code.

They're not going "prosecute".

If anything, he might get a ticket.

And if they challenge the ticket in court?

Also, would giving him a ticket JUSTIFY what they've done?

"Yeah, just pay us some money and we'll leave you alone..."

Do I think the kid should be charged with a crime? No.
Do I think the school had the right to tell him to change his shirt? Yes.

Do I think you guys are being particularly histrionic when claiming that the kid is going to be locked up? Abso-fucking-lutely.

He didn't get arrested for wearing a t-shirt, the officer arrested him for obstruction.

Obstruction of the view of his naked chest? Or refusing to obey an UNLAWFUL order?

I couldn't find the police report but it seems he was arrested for obstruction of an investigation, the officer was investigating a disturbance. I'm not saying the police did the right thing, just clarifying why he was arrested.

Enjoy slavery!

14-Year-Old Year in Jail Wearing NRA T-Shirt School | Complex

Anyway, they'll lock him up for your "Security." A nation of idiots.

First, your thread title is misleading in saying he is goign to "get" a year in jail for wearing the tee-shirt. The actual fact is that a year in jail is a possibiliy, not a fact.

Second, it is not just for wearing the tee-shirt. When he was asked to turn it inside out or remove it "This situation escalated and prompted the school's principal to call the police. Once again, Marcum refused, and due to the incident, is now facing a $500 fine and up to a year in jail..." This is quoted from your link, OP.

The situation escalated to the point the principal had to call the police. Due to the incident the kid is now facing a possible fine and jail time.

It is the situation escalating and due to that escalation that the boy is facing serious legal problems, not wearing the tee-shirt. Try to get that through your head.

He has every right to free speech, in general. But schools have a right to create and enforce dress codes. If they have a no-tolerance policy on anything to do with guns, then you cannot wear a tee-shirt with guns on it. So, the kid had choices: change his shirt, turn it inside out, and probably just go home. One choice he didn't have was to wear that tee-shirt to school. So, he must have behaved in a beligerent, uncontrollable manner about it, which is the "situation escalated" thing, forcing the school to call the police and causing the police to cite him for some offence against the law: maybe it was disturbing the peace or something, the article doesn't say. But you cannot be arrested for wearing a tee-shirt; you can be arrested for you behavior when you are confronted with a school rule and not only don't comply but behave in a manner that is agressive, threatening, out of control, etc.

Anyway, schools have a right to create and enforce dress codes. Nothing you can do about that.

I got suspended for wearing a metal band's t-shirt once. I deserved it.

Do I think you guys are being particularly histrionic when claiming that the kid is going to be locked up? Abso-fucking-lutely.

You don't think he should be charged with a crime, because he's done nothing wrong.

But you think the school has the right to tell him to change his shirt, because he's done something wrong.

That is a contradiction, and thus fails logic.
------------------------
Let's go to logic 101.

Statement X = True
Statement Y = False

Statement ~X = False (not X)
Statement ~Y = True (not Y).

A = and
V = or
--> = if ... then (conditional)
<--> = if and only if (bi-conditional)

T = True, F = False.

T A T = T, T A F = False, F A T = False, F A F = false
T V T = true, T V F = true, F V T = True, F V F = false

Now that we've got that out of the way:

Statement X = He did something wrong.

Your claim is X A ~X = true

However, if X = True, then ~X = False, therefore the statement

X A ~X = T A F

Which is always false.

True (and) False = False.

That is a contradiction.

Fuck off Statist pig.

I had a teacher try and tell me to to turn my shirt inside out and I said no way.

Kids have enough stressors and BS in their lives just getting through school years without all of this mess. Let them follow the rules and in this case it's dress code, things will be much easier for them.

I had a teacher try and tell me to to turn my shirt inside out and I said no way.

Kids have enough stressors and BS in their lives just getting through school years without all of this mess. Let them follow the rules and in this case it's dress code, things will be much easier for them.

Yes, you Jewish kids must take a shower, it will be easier for you!

BIG GOVERNMENT KNOWS BEST

BIG GOVERNMENT KNOWS BEST

Last edited by a moderator:

You don't think he should be charged with a crime, because he's done nothing wrong.

No. I don't think he should be charged with a crime because I don't think that he has committed a crime.

But you think the school has the right to tell him to change his shirt, because he's done something wrong.

Again, no. I think the school has the right to tell him to change his shirt because schools have the right to regulate a dress code.

That is a contradiction, and thus fails logic.
------------------------
Let's go to logic 101.

Statement X = True
Statement Y = False

Statement ~X = False (not X)
Statement ~Y = True (not Y).

A = and
V = or
--> = if ... then (conditional)
<--> = if and only if (bi-conditional)

T = True, F = False.

T A T = T, T A F = False, F A T = False, F A F = false
T V T = true, T V F = true, F V T = True, F V F = false

Now that we've got that out of the way:

Statement X = He did something wrong.

Your claim is X A ~X = true

However, if X = True, then ~X = False, therefore the statement

X A ~X = T A F

Which is always false.

True (and) False = False.

That is a contradiction.

Fuck off Statist pig.

The formal logic "lesson" is really cute. It really is.

But you're basing your argument on a value judgement (he did or did not do something "wrong") that I never made.

Forum List

Back