2-yr-old girl, mother mauled by pit bull as mother tries to fight with her bare hands

Sad that people have these dogs around kids....
How many reports of golden Labs attacking kids...

You want a mean animal to protect family and property fine.
Don't consider these dogs as pets....

Wake up folks.

my experience on the route is Golden Retrievers were the friendliest dogs i have met...golden labs were pretty good too.....Black Labs not so much....Beagles were little basterds though.....

Looks at all the killing in recent years. By far it is mostly pitbulls. They are far from the most popular breed, but killing more than any other. People should just get a nice lab. Why have a crazy time bomb around?

All that tells me is there are a lot of irresponsible breeders/owners. Also people tend to label a dog a pit if it looks even somewhat like a pit. I doubt they are far from the most popular breed. i know lots of people that have pits that dont take polls or let the insurance companies know they have a pit. I like Labs but they will bite a kid just like any other dog. Pits are not crazy time bombs. They are dogs.

Labs are far more popular than pitbulls. Why is it pitbulls kill so many people and labs don't? Certainly there are lots of bad lab owners given they are the most popular breed. You can't just blame the owners all the time. Many pitbulls that killed were family dogs with good owners.

Again I dispute that but lets just go with your numbers. What were Labs bred for? They were bred to retrieve birds in the water. The traits of having a soft mouth, a coat of almost water proof hair, and willing disposition to give up the bird were bred for and refined over the years. Pits were bred to battle to the death and never quit. Which dog will be most able kill a human? I blame owners all the time because they should see the signs when they first get their dogs. The problem is people don't educate themselves on what to look for in a dog. That starts with picking them out and observing any tell tale signs their dogs may be unstable or dangerous.

Wake up folks.

my experience on the route is Golden Retrievers were the friendliest dogs i have met...golden labs were pretty good too.....Black Labs not so much....Beagles were little basterds though.....

Golden Retrievers have to be one of the sweetest dogs in the world. However, they will help someone rob your house and fix them a sandwich before the leave.

This happens so often, and people think it is okay to have pit bulls in a home with children. So sad.

I'm not in favor of firearms. The solution to the problem is to eradicate all pit bulls. Remove them from the planet: they are a menace, especially to children.

The dog in the original Little Rascals is a pit. Helen Keller owned one as well. Its the owners/breeders not the dogs. They are an amazing breed of dog.

American Staffordshire Bulldog.
Petey's sire ( Pal) was an American Pit Bull Terrier. The Bitch was an Staffordshire Bull Terrier.
The Staffordshire is a cousin to the American Pit.
This breed has little of temperament and aggressiveness of the American Pit variety.

This happens so often, and people think it is okay to have pit bulls in a home with children. So sad.

I'm not in favor of firearms. The solution to the problem is to eradicate all pit bulls. Remove them from the planet: they are a menace, especially to children.

The dog in the original Little Rascals is a pit. Helen Keller owned one as well. Its the owners/breeders not the dogs. They are an amazing breed of dog.

"Amazing"...A throw away superlative when a person has nothing to say..
I suppose you own one..Or three.
I see a pit bull and I want to reach for a pistol. Because at any moment, that dog can turn into a predatory beast...
They are not to be trusted.

Amazing is a very specific and deserving superlative when describing this breed. I have owned a lot of dogs and this breed stands out to me because of how unflappable they are. Things that will freak other dogs out dont bother these dogs. Everything they do they do all out. You have to have owned one to understand just how amazing they are.

I just want a dog that barks when someone is on the property, my little Jack Russell does that well.

I would never have a dog that could kill people, I'll do that part myself

Unfortunately, the Pit and other aggressive dog breeds are being bought or adopted for their "street cred" in urban environments. "My dog can kick your dogs ass".
Owning a pit bull is like having a loaded gun laying around the house.

I know so many people who defend pit bulls and say that they are only as mean as their owners taught them to be. That is likely true with most domesticated animals, but pit bulls aren't totally domesticated. Any wild animal, or part wild animal can turn on people, even their owners. I just wouldn't recommend pit bulls for families with children or those live in city limits.

I'm sure pit bulls are quite lovable to most owners, but given that they have that wild streak, it may be best to keep them away from the population and ensure that laws regarding leashes or fences be adhered to. Any dog can attack, if provoked, which is why we have such laws.

Dogs are domesticated. As a matter of fact they were among the first animals to be domesticated. Pits are dogs that were bred to fight other dogs and actually to be more people friendly than most dogs other than golden retrievers. The reason is that the stranger that owned the opposing dog had to be able to handle it to make sure there was no poison on its fur or any other unfair advantage. What is happening is idiots are over breeding them and not culling the unstable ones. People that are not knowledgeable about the amount of damage the breed can do are buying them like they are some breathing fire arm.
Yeah yeah yeah...Stop it....
Any dog if provoked may attack. The difference is when pit attacks, it tries to rip the throat out of the victim. Once this powerful dog bites down, only death will make it let go.
We in the public are supposed to ignore that because pit owners keep insisting "their" dog is a lovable people dog?
Please...

I just want a dog that barks when someone is on the property, my little Jack Russell does that well.

I would never have a dog that could kill people, I'll do that part myself

Unfortunately, the Pit and other aggressive dog breeds are being bought or adopted for their "street cred" in urban environments. "My dog can kick your dogs ass".
Owning a pit bull is like having a loaded gun laying around the house.

That's old shit. Most run with Am bulls now.

American Staffordshire Bulldog.
Petey's sire ( Pal) was an American Pit Bull Terrier. The Bitch was an Staffordshire Bull Terrier.
The Staffordshire is a cousin to the American Pit.
This breed has little of temperament and aggressiveness of the American Pit variety.

You do realize that the Staffi was originally used to help develop the Pit? They were bred to fight bulls. I have a friend that breeds them and they act just like pits. If not for their size you wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

staffordshire-bull-terrier-9f023-12.jpg

Wake up folks.

Golden Retrievers have to be one of the sweetest dogs in the world. However, they will help someone rob your house and fix them a sandwich before the leave.

the ones i met will even help the burglar load his car....:lol:

I know so many people who defend pit bulls and say that they are only as mean as their owners taught them to be. That is likely true with most domesticated animals, but pit bulls aren't totally domesticated. Any wild animal, or part wild animal can turn on people, even their owners. I just wouldn't recommend pit bulls for families with children or those live in city limits.

I'm sure pit bulls are quite lovable to most owners, but given that they have that wild streak, it may be best to keep them away from the population and ensure that laws regarding leashes or fences be adhered to. Any dog can attack, if provoked, which is why we have such laws.

Dogs are domesticated. As a matter of fact they were among the first animals to be domesticated. Pits are dogs that were bred to fight other dogs and actually to be more people friendly than most dogs other than golden retrievers. The reason is that the stranger that owned the opposing dog had to be able to handle it to make sure there was no poison on its fur or any other unfair advantage. What is happening is idiots are over breeding them and not culling the unstable ones. People that are not knowledgeable about the amount of damage the breed can do are buying them like they are some breathing fire arm.
Any dog if provoked may attack. The difference is when pit attacks, it tries to rip the throat out of the victim. Once this powerful dog bites down, only death will make it let go.
We in the public are supposed to ignore that because pit owners keep insisting "their" dog is a lovable people dog?
Please...

You are quite ignorant. Pits grab the first thing they can get to and hold on. They dont always go for throat unless its the closest thing. Also you can use your voice can make it let go. Thee first thing I did was train the first pit I owned to let go on command. Only someone that has not owned a pit would say something so stupid.

Please...

Good grief. Let the legend live on.

A pit bull is a terrier. Have you got it? Its a freaking terrier.

My parents boston terrier would attack anything larger or smaller than him. Freaking Benny. I begged and did get a larger pay for running the little bugger the first time my dad had to deal with benny trying to kill the neighbours german shepherd.

THEY ARE TERRIERS. TERRORISTS is I swear a word that comes from the terriers.

Last edited:
All that tells me is there are a lot of irresponsible breeders/owners. Also people tend to label a dog a pit if it looks even somewhat like a pit. I doubt they are far from the most popular breed. i know lots of people that have pits that dont take polls or let the insurance companies know they have a pit. I like Labs but they will bite a kid just like any other dog. Pits are not crazy time bombs. They are dogs.

Labs are far more popular than pitbulls. Why is it pitbulls kill so many people and labs don't? Certainly there are lots of bad lab owners given they are the most popular breed. You can't just blame the owners all the time. Many pitbulls that killed were family dogs with good owners.

Again I dispute that but lets just go with your numbers. What were Labs bred for? They were bred to retrieve birds in the water. The traits of having a soft mouth, a coat of almost water proof hair, and willing disposition to give up the bird were bred for and refined over the years. Pits were bred to battle to the death and never quit. Which dog will be most able kill a human? I blame owners all the time because they should see the signs when they first get their dogs. The problem is people don't educate themselves on what to look for in a dog. That starts with picking them out and observing any tell tale signs their dogs may be unstable or dangerous.

Right, labs are much better pets. Yet you recommend a pitbull to people with children?

Every other breed of dog in the US combined has not killed as many people as pitbulls. Do you think every other breed combined greatly outnumbers the number of pitbulls? Do you think every other breed just has good owners and pitbulls have bad owners? There are a lot of dogs capable of killing people, they just don't because they are better breeds.

Please...

Good grief. Let the legend live on.

A pit bull is a terrier. Have you got it? Its a freaking terrier.

My parents boston terrier would attack anything larger or smaller than him. Freaking Benny. I begged and did get a larger pay for running the little bugger the first time my dad had to deal with benny trying to kill the neighbours german shepherd.

THEY ARE TERRIERS. TERRORISTS is I swear a word that comes from the terriers.

LOL!! I think I read somewhere that terrier means earth dog or something like that.

Look pits are just the bigger terrier. And I love them to death. I've been blessed knowing more than a few in my time. It makes me sick to my stomach that they get such a bad rap. it's wrong. They are dolls.

Look pits are just the bigger terrier. And I love them to death. I've been blessed knowing more than a few in my time. It makes me sick to my stomach that they get such a bad rap. it's wrong. They are dolls.

They have killed a lot of children. Young children that couldn't have possibly hurt a pitbull. That is a doll to you? That is pathetic.

Forum List

Back