2020s The Decade of the Electric Cars

If the Tesla Model 3 (the $35k electric car) takes off, then the 2020s will be the decade of the electric car. The Model 3 is set to hit the market later this year and already has 700k pre-orders. If it truly remains at $35k, then the next models will be in the $20k. At will officially make them mainstream. I see advance set in fueling from 30-60 mins to 5-6 mins. I see ranges going from 200 miles to 500-600 miles.

By 2025 half of all new car purchases will be electric. By 2030, the gas engine will go the way of the typewriter.

Conservatives and liberal alike should cheer at the oil nations downfall: Russia, Venezuela, the Middle East etc.

The 2020s Could Be the Decade When Electric Cars Take Over

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Investors see the value of Tesla skyrocketing to hundreds of billions of dollars in the next 5+ years. Eclipsing all other auto manufacturers. They just announced an electric truck.

Oil companies are still digging in the dirt for whatever scraps they can find.

Elon Musk is taking humanity into a bright future.

I don't know what kind of truck you're talking about, but as a professional truck driver, I can tell you that's not happening in our lifetime anytime soon. Pickup trucks or something, yes, that's possible.

Semi trucks are rather large and could hold a very large battery. What if a trucker could drive 600 miles before recharge? Then they recharge at the truck stops where they usually stop to rest? It will be a reality in the 2020s

I hate to say this to you, but think about another profession before it is too late. With in 5 yrs you are going to see driverless cars. Taxis and uber drivers will go first, but trucker won't be long.

I'm not worried about it. Even if the government doesn't stop me from working (which they are trying to do now) I'll be retiring in about ten years.

When I'm loaded, my vehicle weighs around 75,000 lbs. There isn't an electric motor in the world that's going to pull that kind of weight on on incline. Even if there was, it would take so much electricity that it wouldn't be practical to use. You would have to recharge the batteries every two hours or so.

Driverless trucks? I don't think that will be a standard as long as I'm alive. Even with some success, insurance companies would be hesitant to insure those vehicles. They may be able to travel on the highway some day, but they will never be able to drive on regular streets. Because most cities don't design the roads for trucks, you have to make calculations when making turns so you don't hit telephone polls, crossing signs and stop signs. Up north, a driverless truck will not know when it's snowing or when the roads are slippery.

Right now the push is for automatic transmissions in trucks. My employer won't lease any of those. They drag when going uphills and it would be difficult to get out of snow covered dock with an automatic. You need a standard transmission to go into the highest gear possible to get out of those docks. An automatic transmission is not capable of doing that.

If the Tesla Model 3 (the $35k electric car) takes off, then the 2020s will be the decade of the electric car. The Model 3 is set to hit the market later this year and already has 700k pre-orders. If it truly remains at $35k, then the next models will be in the $20k. At will officially make them mainstream. I see advance set in fueling from 30-60 mins to 5-6 mins. I see ranges going from 200 miles to 500-600 miles.

By 2025 half of all new car purchases will be electric. By 2030, the gas engine will go the way of the typewriter.

Conservatives and liberal alike should cheer at the oil nations downfall: Russia, Venezuela, the Middle East etc.

Investors see the value of Tesla skyrocketing to hundreds of billions of dollars in the next 5+ years. Eclipsing all other auto manufacturers. They just announced an electric truck.

I don't know what kind of truck you're talking about, but as a professional truck driver, I can tell you that's not happening in our lifetime anytime soon. Pickup trucks or something, yes, that's possible.

Semi trucks are rather large and could hold a very large battery. What if a trucker could drive 600 miles before recharge? Then they recharge at the truck stops where they usually stop to rest? It will be a reality in the 2020s

I hate to say this to you, but think about another profession before it is too late. With in 5 yrs you are going to see driverless cars. Taxis and uber drivers will go first, but trucker won't be long.

I'm not worried about it. Even if the government doesn't stop me from working (which they are trying to do now) I'll be retiring in about ten years.

When I'm loaded, my vehicle weighs around 75,000 lbs. There isn't an electric motor in the world that's going to pull that kind of weight on on incline. Even if there was, it would take so much electricity that it wouldn't be practical to use. You would have to recharge the batteries every two hours or so.

Driverless trucks? I don't think that will be a standard as long as I'm alive. Even with some success, insurance companies would be hesitant to insure those vehicles. They may be able to travel on the highway some day, but they will never be able to drive on regular streets. Because most cities don't design the roads for trucks, you have to make calculations when making turns so you don't hit telephone polls, crossing signs and stop signs. Up north, a driverless truck will not know when it's snowing or when the roads are slippery.

Right now the push is for automatic transmissions in trucks. My employer won't lease any of those. They drag when going uphills and it would be difficult to get out of snow covered dock with an automatic. You need a standard transmission to go into the highest gear possible to get out of those docks. An automatic transmission is not capable of doing that.

You highly under estimate the electric motor.

The Model X has more horsepower than the F-150

F-150: 282 to 450

ford f 150 horsepower - Google Search

Model X: 417 to 518
model x horsepower - Google Search

The driverless cars are coming and will be here within 10 years. Heck uber already has them on the road.

Which only means there will need to be more electricity generated. Maybe we can have electric power plants!!

:lmao:

You highly under estimate the electric motor.

The Model X has more horsepower than the F-150

F-150: 282 to 450

ford f 150 horsepower - Google Search

Model X: 417 to 518
model x horsepower - Google Search

The driverless cars are coming and will be here within 10 years. Heck uber already has them on the road.

Yes, Uber does have them on the road:

Internal company documents obtained by Recode show that Uber's self-driving cars regularly need human assistance.

The metrics show that Uber's self-driving cars can barely drive a mile before they "disengage," which is when a safety driver has to take control of the vehicle. Compared to company's like Waymo, Alphabet's self-driving-car company, the data shows Uber has a very long way to go before achieving full autonomy.

Here's what happens when a self-driving Uber fails

One of my daughters in an engineer working for a major auto company. Some of the newer tech she lays on me just blows my mind.

Soon, most new cars AND trucks are going to be diesel electric hybrids. And so clean that they are like a huge army of air cleaners all over the highways and massively reduce air pollution.

Mark my words.

One of my daughters in an engineer working for a major auto company. Some of the newer tech she lays on me just blows my mind.

Soon, most new cars AND trucks are going to be diesel electric hybrids. And so clean that they are like a huge army of air cleaners all over the highways and massively reduce air pollution.

Mark my words.

Maybe, but at what cost?

It makes no sense to have electric cars.

There is not enough electricity to run them.

And converting gasoline and other petroleum products into electricity is not efficient.

Your kidding right? Stationary power plants are far more efficient than mobile systems.

What is more efficient a power plant providing electricity for electric cars or gasoline powered cars? - Quora

Would we need additional power plants to meet the demand? Absolutely, but they wouldn't be a problem.

Would't be a problem? In some places it's a problem now without the electric cars. Where I live, they warn people to take it easy on their AC in the summer when it gets hot and humid so we don't have rolling blackouts. And what do you think will happen to our electric bills when companies invest hundreds of millions of dollars for those new plants?
Don't care. At that point, the smart people will have installed their own solar systems. In fact, if that is the case in your area, they are already doing that.

Over my dead pickup trucks another reason why I will not get rid of my 91 Chevy dually

View attachment 121639

Why is this in Politics? Oh, that's right. You're in the same bubble as the moderators.

Over my dead pickup trucks another reason why I will not get rid of my 91 Chevy dually

View attachment 121639

Why is this in Politics? Oh, that's right. You're in the same bubble as the moderators.

Proving a point I am just a average Joe who will never ever give up my V8 pick up trucks..

nikola_one_6-2d9650f581af241c2bc17a5f544891a4c9c02e5aed9351339907f39997daa82e-e1470159798490.jpg

tesla electric heavy duty semi truck | Electrek

LOL

And converting gasoline and other petroleum products into electricity is not efficient.

Your kidding right? Stationary power plants are far more efficient than mobile systems.

What is more efficient a power plant providing electricity for electric cars or gasoline powered cars? - Quora

Would we need additional power plants to meet the demand? Absolutely, but they wouldn't be a problem.

Would't be a problem? In some places it's a problem now without the electric cars. Where I live, they warn people to take it easy on their AC in the summer when it gets hot and humid so we don't have rolling blackouts. And what do you think will happen to our electric bills when companies invest hundreds of millions of dollars for those new plants?
Don't care. At that point, the smart people will have installed their own solar systems. In fact, if that is the case in your area, they are already doing that.

That's the common response of the left "don't care."

Well I care. And no, I don't see any solar systems installed in my area. Solar panels don't work very well on snow covered roof tops, and even if they did, it would be a losing investment. Too expensive of an investment you'll never get your money back on.

View attachment 121639

Proving a point I am just a average Joe who will never ever give up my V8 pick up trucks..

BTW I make minimum wage down here in the south according to you..
IMG_20170408_151739.jpg

Which only means there will need to be more electricity generated. Maybe we can have electric power plants!!

Wind and solar being installed as we post.

nikola_one_6-2d9650f581af241c2bc17a5f544891a4c9c02e5aed9351339907f39997daa82e-e1470159798490.jpg

LOL

My old Chevy 92 dually has more power and torque then that one.

LOL

Site wouldn't load for me. But I'd like to see this piece of junk pull a payload of 45,000 lbs against a normal diesel truck. That includes down time getting recharged, the speed of which the driver can deliver the load, and the frequency of needing a recharge.

Drivers depend on speed to make a paycheck. This hopeful dream won't cut it.

Wind and solar being installed as we post.

Not here. We have a few windmills in town, but none that are an advantage over just buying electricity. More than likely leftist business owners that think they are saving the world from global warming.

Well I care. And no, I don't see any solar systems installed in my area. Solar panels don't work very well on snow covered roof tops, and even if they did, it would be a losing investment. Too expensive of an investment you'll never get your money back on.
General Estimates for Solar Energy Payback Period

On the whole, one can say that payback periods for rooftop solar PV systems are in the range of 6-10 years in many parts of the world today. While this might appear like a very long time for pay back, please note that for a product that works for 25 years, recovering your investment in 8-10 is not a bad idea, as for the rest 15+ years, you are essentially getting electricity at no cost, as there are very little operating expenses for a rooftop solar PV system.
Read more at: What is the Payback Period of Rooftop Solar PV Systems? - Ask Solar Mango

As the price of solar continues to decline, the payback period is less today than when this was written.

LOL

Site wouldn't load for me. But I'd like to see this piece of junk pull a payload of 45,000 lbs against a normal diesel truck. That includes down time getting recharged, the speed of which the driver can deliver the load, and the frequency of needing a recharge.

Drivers depend on speed to make a paycheck. This hopeful dream won't cut it.

And they are perplexed why a diesel eclectic train is the way it is?

Why not just use battery's instead of diesel?

General Estimates for Solar Energy Payback Period

On the whole, one can say that payback periods for rooftop solar PV systems are in the range of 6-10 years in many parts of the world today. While this might appear like a very long time for pay back, please note that for a product that works for 25 years, recovering your investment in 8-10 is not a bad idea, as for the rest 15+ years, you are essentially getting electricity at no cost, as there are very little operating expenses for a rooftop solar PV system.
Read more at: What is the Payback Period of Rooftop Solar PV Systems? - Ask Solar Mango

As the price of solar continues to decline, the payback period is less today than when this was written.
Have you even drove a electric car?

Forum List

Back