🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

50 yrs ago, mac's burger was 20c

no, gas was never as cheap as a hamburger. I pumped gas at 40c a gallon in 1970, and the hamburger was 20c. The minimum wage was $1.60 and I cleared $1.25 an hour. So I could buy 6 burgers with an hour's work, and that burger was sold at a profit. Today, that would require you to clear $9 an hour. But the point is, you need to get your head out of your butt and get into making a clear 80k a year, or you'll suffer for the rest of your life. It's not that hard to do, if you'll just pay attention to what's what. All it takes is to own 4 boarding houses in OK, which can be bought by joining the National guard, having the guard pay for your college, saving your college loans and pell grants, using your VA home loan to get started, and marrying an Asian MD, dentist or engineer. there's millions of the latter who'll pay you 35k a year, cash, for 3 years, just for bringing them here. Decent 2000 sq ft homes can be had in OK for 30k, i am not kidding.
Young man, 1970 was way later than the Early 1960's !!!

I remember the days when a fast food burger actually tasted like a burger.
Now you have to go to a Five Guys or an In and Out.
You can still get a good burger at InAndOut however it will cost you close to $5.00 USD.

Always go for the double meat so it's a bit more.
They have a homeless special on original regular hamburgers for less than $1 buck now. That's what I always get -- or the Whaler fish sandwich.

now, at $1.20, it's a loss-leader. Most things cost 8x what they did in 1968, and people were CLEARING $5 an hour, doing mere assemblyline work. If you're not clearing $40 an hour, you're screwing the pooch, big time.

When I was a kid, my parents would give us 50 cents on a Saturday to go see a movie.

Sometimes, I got a dollar. This is how I would spend it:

25 cents for the movie

5 cents for a Look bar

5 cents for a Sugar Daddy (lost a tooth on one of those during the Brides of Dracula and Jack the Ripper double feature)

5 cents for a Bug Hunk

Then after the movie

25 cents for a cheeseburger

20 cents for a milkshake

And then later, I would go buy a Superman comic for 12 cents. And with the pennies left over, gum.

Note: I wouldn't eat all that candy, I would save most for later on in the week.

now, at $1.20, it's a loss-leader. Most things cost 8x what they did in 1968, and people were CLEARING $5 an hour, doing mere assemblyline work. If you're not clearing $40 an hour, you're screwing the pooch, big time.

When I was a kid, my parents would give us 50 cents on a Saturday to go see a movie.

25 cents for the movie

5 cents for a Look bar

5 cents for a Sugar Daddy (lost a tooth on one of those during the Brides of Dracula and Jack the Ripper double feature)

5 cents for a Bug Hunk

Then after the movie

20 cents for a milkshake

And then later, I would go buy a Superman comic for 12 cents. And with the pennies left over, gum.
Yep the perfect summer day...:113:

I remember when they built the first McDonalds in my neighborhood, built the first mall, the first Taco Bell. I remember a world before Dunkin Donuts, KFC and sushi.

My first job was for $1.10 an hour as a theatre usherette. I was in high school.

Every resteraunt started out trying hard to get your business, and using the best servers, recipes, and contents to have you wanting more and more. The betrayal came when they established themselves completely by having your complete loyalty to them as a customer, and this as based on your overall experience with them, but then they start looking for ways to increase their profits by taking away from your experience in hopes you wouldn't notice, and if you did notice (well they didn't care at this point) because they were established and no longer needed you anymore.

So ever so cleverly, they start using less quality meats and vegetables, less quality servers and cooks, less quality service as they enrich themselves off of the monopoly they are then enjoying.

Now how to change these things is anyones guess......Maybe one should make sure to support a smaller operation in which you have more input and control over is the answer.

Forcing resteraunt operations to uphold standards by a resteraunt watchdog group is another way, who knows ?

no, gas was never as cheap as a hamburger. I pumped gas at 40c a gallon in 1970, and the hamburger was 20c. The minimum wage was $1.60 and I cleared $1.25 an hour. So I could buy 6 burgers with an hour's work, and that burger was sold at a profit. Today, that would require you to clear $11 an hour. But the point is, you need to get your head out of your butt and get into making a clear 80k a year, or you'll suffer for the rest of your life. It's not that hard to do, if you'll just pay attention to what's what. All it takes is to own 4 boarding houses in OK, which can be bought by joining the National guard, having the guard pay for your college, saving your college loans and pell grants, using your VA home loan to get started, and marrying an Asian MD, dentist or engineer. there's millions of the latter who'll pay you 35k a year, cash, for 3 years, just for bringing them here. Decent 2000 sq ft homes can be had in OK for 30k, i am not kidding.
In upstate NY, I had a job in '73 at the first self-service gas station in the area. We opened at 19 cents a gallon to get people in. I taught a lot of people how to pump gas. Then it went up to 28 cents a gallon after the novelty wore off.

You can still get a good burger at InAndOut however it will cost you close to $5.00 USD.

Always go for the double meat so it's a bit more.
They have a homeless special on original regular hamburgers for less than $1 buck now. That's what I always get -- or the Whaler fish sandwich.

My favorite burger joint is Becks Prime.
They're kinda pricey but at least they're consistent.

They built a McDonald's across the road from my house when I was 6 or 7...my mom would send me over for french fries...they would fill up a brown paper bag and the grease would stain the sides before I reached my house...of course I'd always get in trouble for munching a few on the way home allowing cold air into the bag...

One day I woke up and they were putting the golden arches in...we had never seen a McDonald's before so we had no idea what they were...funny the things you remember...

I remember when McDonald's sold hamburgers and cheeseburgers.

Now you have to order the cheeseburger with no cheese... and you still pay for the cheese...

At least that's the way it is for the Quarter Pounder...

Every resteraunt started out trying hard to get your business, and using the best servers, recipes, and contents to have you wanting more and more. The betrayal came when they established themselves completely by having your complete loyalty to them as a customer, and this as based on your overall experience with them, but then they start looking for ways to increase their profits by taking away from your experience in hopes you wouldn't notice, and if you did notice (well they didn't care at this point) because they were established and no longer needed you anymore.

So ever so cleverly, they start using less quality meats and vegetables, less quality servers and cooks, less quality service as they enrich themselves off of the monopoly they are then enjoying.

Now how to change these things is anyones guess......Maybe one should make sure to support a smaller operation in which you have more input and control over is the answer.

Forcing resteraunt operations to uphold standards by a resteraunt watchdog group is another way, who knows ?
God, this post is nothing but negativity. Must be a bitch to be you.

They built a McDonald's across the road from my house when I was 6 or 7...my mom would send me over for french fries...they would fill up a brown paper bag and the grease would stain the sides before I reached my house...of course I'd always get in trouble for munching a few on the way home allowing cold air into the bag...

One day I woke up and they were putting the golden arches in...we had never seen a McDonald's before so we had no idea what they were...funny the things you remember...

I remember the Burger King ditty ..It takes two hands to handle a whopper,and it was actually true.
Now days you could be a double amputee and still manage to eat one.

There's a lot of truth in his post.

And don't forget In and Out and Whataburger...dang it now I'm getting hungry...got a go see ya! Happy Sunday posters!!!!!

25 cents for the movie

5 cents for a Look bar

5 cents for a Bug Hunk

Then after the movie

20 cents for a milkshake

Yep the perfect summer day...:113:
My parents used to give us 10 or 15 cents to go up to the local Mom and Pop store to get penny candy. It was about 5 blocks away and we rode our bikes. One time my mom gave me a dollar bill to get something she needed and I got to the store and couldn't find it, had lost it on the way. Searched for it all the way home and couldn't find it. It was a big deal and I was very upset but didn't get in any trouble.

There are ways to look at things; when somone only sees the negative side, that's a pretty negative person.

There are ways to look at things; when somone only sees the negative side, that's a pretty negative person.

All you need to do is look at an Egg McMuffin ten years ago and compare it to todays to see the truth in his cynicism.
Damn things are the size of a hockey puck these days.

Forum List

Back