6.4 mag earthquake in S. Ca.

Shoot. Them falling into the ocean would give us twice as much reason for July 4th to be Independence Day.
You'd be surprised how many conservatives live in Ca. Get rid of the illegals and Ca. is a red state.

I last voted for the Green Party, so you will have to find a better selling point than saving conservatives.

You already did...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.4e856637537f

6.4 is not big.

9 is big.

You've never been near the epicenter of a 6.4 earthquake; in 1957 I was taking a spelling test at my elementary school when a 5.7 quake interrupted the test. The immediate jolt set some of my schoolmates to cry out as our desks (two at a desk) moved up n& down rather violently, and the hanging lights in the classroom swayed rapidly.

We were less than a mile from that quakes epicenter.

In 1989 I left work and went to a hotel adjacent to the tarmac of a general aviation airport. I parked in the back of the hotel, and as I was parking and listening to the pre game (Oak -SF world series - I was to meet my colleagues to watch the game) my 3/4 ton Dodge Van began to bounce. The radio went to static and as I stepped out of the van, the door to the hotel slammed open and guest ran out of the building.

I looked at the tarmac and could see waves going across the black top, and the light posts swing as if there was a strong wing - there was no wind and very hot afternoon).

We were over 100 miles north of that epicenter near Santa Cruz.

In Aug 2014 I was asleep about 35 miles south of Napa. I was awakened and knew immediately we were having a quake. I awoke my wife with, "L. Earthquake" before I realized the quake was not near the epicenter for it was a rolling one, meaning it was at least a 6. some distance away. We had no damage, but the City of Napa had quite a few properties damaged. That quake was 6.0

Imagine what a 9 would be like. The scale is logarithmic. A 9 is 1000 times stronger than a 6.
It would be anchorage again!!!! Streets separated and uplifted 20 or more feet and that one lasted 6 minutes. Man it was fun.

6.4 is not big.

9 is big.

You've never been near the epicenter of a 6.4 earthquake; in 1957 I was taking a spelling test at my elementary school when a 5.7 quake interrupted the test. The immediate jolt set some of my schoolmates to cry out as our desks (two at a desk) moved up n& down rather violently, and the hanging lights in the classroom swayed rapidly.

In 1989 I left work and went to a hotel adjacent to the tarmac of a general aviation airport. I parked in the back of the hotel, and as I was parking and listening to the pre game (Oak -SF world series - I was to meet my colleagues to watch the game) my 3/4 ton Dodge Van began to bounce. The radio went to static and as I stepped out of the van, the door to the hotel slammed open and guest ran out of the building.

I looked at the tarmac and could see waves going across the black top, and the light posts swing as if there was a strong wing - there was no wind and very hot afternoon).

In Aug 2014 I was asleep about 35 miles south of Napa. I was awakened and knew immediately we were having a quake. I awoke my wife with, "L. Earthquake" before I realized the quake was not near the epicenter for it was a rolling one, meaning it was at least a 6. some distance away. We had no damage, but the City of Napa had quite a few properties damaged. That quake was 6.0

Imagine what a 9 would be like. The scale is logarithmic. A 9 is 1000 times stronger than a 6.

I was in high school in 1964 when a big quake hit Alaska (9.2), Tsunami Warnings went out for the Coast, and a surfing buddy called to see if I wanted to go down to see it (I lived 7 blocks from SF's Ocean Beach). I decided not to go when the radio DJ said, "water in the bay was receding and not to go to the beach".

No damage was done to the Beach or Bay that time.

Shoot. Them falling into the ocean would give us twice as much reason for July 4th to be Independence Day.
You'd be surprised how many conservatives live in Ca. Get rid of the illegals and Ca. is a red state.

I last voted for the Green Party, so you will have to find a better selling point than saving conservatives.

You already did...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.4e856637537f

Hillary won my state so nope.

6.4 is not big.

9 is big.

It would be anchorage again!!!! Streets separated and uplifted 20 or more feet and that one lasted 6 minutes. Man it was fun.

Were you there? Years later I was in Crescent City, near the Oregon Border, and saw signs well inland of their harbor where the tsunami had reached. Well inland from the Pacific Ocean.

6.4 magnitude earthquake in Southern California
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — A large earthquake has rattled a large swath of Southern California. There are no immediate reports of damage.
Oh well happens all the time lol

That is God simply moving things around getting ready for the mag. 8 to follow in a few weeks.

It's mother nature, and she has already slammed the rest of the country with hurricanes, tornadoes, floods and even shark attacks. We can all blame the climate change deniers, she is protecting the planet and trumpkins don't give a damn about the earth.

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — A large earthquake has rattled a large swath of Southern California. There are no immediate reports of damage.

That is God simply moving things around getting ready for the mag. 8 to follow in a few weeks.

It's mother nature, and she has already slammed the rest of the country with hurricanes, tornadoes, floods and even shark attacks. We can all blame the climate change deniers, she is protecting the planet and trumpkins don't give a damn about the earth.
Lol
Of course there is climate change, it’s just not man-made. vulgar insult removed

Last edited by a moderator:

You already did...

You can’t squirm out of this. You are a Green Party member, and the Green Party elected Trump.

If it is any consolation, that is how Clinton was elected in 1992.

You already did...

You can’t squirm out of this. You are a Green Party member, and the Green Party elected Trump.

"Watch my lips" is how Clinton beat GHWB. Take a peek at the tax 'reform' bill signed by Trump, green and renewable energy is not on his plate.

Careful what you wish for, your wine, fruit and veggies, nuts and rice will be much more costly.
You know that the only part of California on the pacific plate is from Santa Cruz to Inverness. The rest of the state is on the stable side.

California is made up of a multitude of miniature plates. Tectono Stratigraphic Terranes is what they are called. There IS no stable part of California.

Leave it to the village idiot, bodie, to troll an informational post. You are a sad, sad, representation of a human being.

You already did...

Except the Green Party did not elect Trump. The dems were not entitled to votes they did not earn. It is a tired refrain from establishment apologists in the DNC to blame the Greens for their failures. They failed in the places they failed for not earning their support. If anything, the libertarians kept Trump from winning the popular vote as the GOP had far more votes siphoned off by them than the DNC by the Greens.

I personally wouldn't have voted and Hillary would still have won my state if it were only her and him on my ticket. I didn't vote for any candidates in the midterms as there were no choices. I voted on the ballot matters only.

Careful what you wish for, your wine, fruit and veggies, nuts and rice will be much more costly.

You know that the only part of California on the pacific plate is from Santa Cruz to Inverness. The rest of the state is on the stable side.

LOL, See: California Earthquake Map Collection

The map shows big quakes in SoCal and the Bay Area. However, all up and down the Pacific Coast is fair game for tsunamis, big quakes usually off the coast, and don't forget volcanoes in Lassen and Shasta Counties in CA, and the volcanoes in the Cascades going from Oregon to Washington and into British Columbia.

Yeah, it does. Especially in that area. There are three major faults lines that pass very close to each other in that region. Big earthquakes are common. Not that a 6.4 is a big one. It's a moderate sized quake.

Have you ever experienced a 6.4 earthquake and been near the epicenter? Me thinks not.

Last edited:
6.4 is not big.

9 is big.

the 94 Northridge one was my biggest....6.7....that one got the Adrenalin flowing.....
Well, a 7 is ten times the energy of a 6. So a 6.7 probably moved the furniture around the house a bit....
it was an experience....i can imagine what those 9 pointers in Chile felt like....

Yeah, it does. Especially in that area. There are three major faults lines that pass very close to each other in that region. Big earthquakes are common. Not that a 6.4 is a big one. It's a moderate sized quake.

Have you ever experience a 6.4 earthquake and been near the epicenter? Me thinks not.

I was two hundred yards from the Northridge (6.4) epicenter, and woke up in midair, moron. I was 6 miles from the Sylmar (6.6) epicenter. I was 10 miles from the Whittier (5.9) and was visiting my friend on Skyline in Oakland when the Loma Prieta (6.9) hit. I have been in more earthquakes, and know more about them than you ever will.

The geo. lady said another big one is coming.

No she didn't. Do you ever tire of lying? We Californian's know the Big One will come, some day. The Hayward Fault is the one which has had no BIG ONE since 1868, studies by the U.S. Geological Survey estimates there is a one in three chance a 6.7-magnitude earthquake or greater will shake the Hayward fault in the next 30 years. The last BIG ONE on the San Andreas was in 1906, the one before that was in 1857.

I hate to break it to ya cupcake, but the San Andreas in the Bay Area hasn't experienced its Big One either. The 1906 Quake was up in Mendocino. The San Andreas is locked and loaded for a huge quake. Best get your earthquake kit ready.

You have no clue do you (be honest, lol as if)? The epicenter of the 1906 Quake was thought to be at Mussel Rock near Rockaway Beach in San Mateo County. Today the epicenter has been located at several miles west of Golden Gate Park.

The Great Quake: 1906-2006 / The epicenter

There are big quakes off the coast of Mendocino, Humboldt and Del Norte Counties; Olema is in Marin County (the northern end of the Golden Gate Bridge) where we've taken our kids and niece and nephew to see the fence which is still there on the E.Q. Trail.

Last edited:
The geo. lady said another big one is coming.

No she didn't. Do you ever tire of lying? We Californian's know the Big One will come, some day. The Hayward Fault is the one which has had no BIG ONE since 1868, studies by the U.S. Geological Survey estimates there is a one in three chance a 6.7-magnitude earthquake or greater will shake the Hayward fault in the next 30 years. The last BIG ONE on the San Andreas was in 1906, the one before that was in 1857.

I hate to break it to ya cupcake, but the San Andreas in the Bay Area hasn't experienced its Big One either. The 1906 Quake was up in Mendocino. The San Andreas is locked and loaded for a huge quake. Best get your earthquake kit ready.

You have no clear do you? The epicenter of the 1906 Quake was thought to be at Mussel Rock near Rockaway Beach in San Mateo County. Today the epicenter has been located at several miles west of Golden Gate Park.

The Great Quake: 1906-2006 / The epicenter

There are big quakes off the coast of Mendocino, Humboldt and Del Norte Counties; Olema is in Marin County (the northern end of the Golden Gate Bridge) where we've taken our kids and niece and nephew to see the fence which is still there on the E.Q. Trail.

Yes, I have read the Lomax studies, and they admit to a "large uncertainty volume" . They refer to their guesstimate as the "preferred" mainshock location. The original Lawson Report of 1908, is still the go to and is considered the dawn of modern seismological investigation. The fact is no one knows exactly where the epicenter was. Based on surface rupture the best guess is northwest of Novato somewhere along the extensive San Andreas Fault Complex.

Water extraction and subsidence will worsen the quakes over time

Not really. Just increase their frequency. Some theories speculate that fracking might be a good way to lessen large earthquakes through inducing thousands of smaller ones.

Forum List

Back