A Muslim Brit nails it again on the New Zealand attack

I quote Maajid Nawaz regularly here. He is the liberal Muslim Brit who coined the term "Regressive Left", horrified by the way many on the Left make a bad situation worse by coddling the worst elements of Islam in the West. Mr. Nawaz can see both sides of this issue. I know being able to see both sides of an issue is not considered a good thing here.

He risks his life every day, pushing for reform of his beloved religion. He was assaulted, again, just the other day (I suspect he'll be attacked here, too - that's how they operate). Here's his take on the predictable madness that has followed the New Zealand attack.

The New Zealand Mosque Massacre Blame Game Is Out of Control

LONDON—The anti-Muslim terrorist attack at two mosques in New Zealand marked perhaps the lowest point for Muslim communities in the West since the Bosnia genocide. It has left no doubt that far-right extremism is on the march once more.

But the sheer human tragedy of this attack against my Muslim communities has not deterred extremists from those other two ends of our political spectrum, the far left and the theocratic Islamists, from seeking to exploit it for their own nefarious purposes.

So it is with no surprise that I noticed, a mere day after 50 of my fellow Muslims were so publicly and tragically killed, while the blood was still wet and the bodies remained unburied, that the ideologues had circled like vultures. Opportunistic Islamist and far-left extremists began calling for a purge of people whose politics they disagree with, and started publishing McCarthyite lists of personae non grata to target. Few have come under fiercer assault than my friend and collaborator in dialogue, Sam Harris. The following spectacle has been incredibly unedifying.

Of course, inflammatory anti-Muslim language must be condemned by us all, and many anti-Muslim provocateurs should take a hard look at themselves after New Zealand, just as we must condemn inflammatory Islamist and far-left language. That is different, though, from trying to silence an entire policy concern like Western foreign policy or opposing immigration and critiquing Islam respectively. Only the extremists wish to shut down debate. And so it is crucial that we do not respond to far-right extremism in such a way that we inadvertently empower extremists from other ends of the political spectrum. Terrorists prefer the bullet to the ballot. Let us not become pawns in their game.

Being able to see both sides doesn't mean you can't have an opinion.
I don't like seeing anyone attacking innocent Muslims....but I also cannot handle the whining Muslims who feel they were personally attacked when they live 8000 miles away from the attack, and try to use this typically Islamic martyrdom complex to claim the right to attack others.
Did you say tbe same thing about "whining" Jews after the shooting at the Pittsburgh Synagogue? I suspect a lot Jews felt it personaly. Being a minority and targeted by violence and expresdong it when your community is attacked is hardly whining. Not when people are getting killed.
There was a call for new gun laws.
But i think these folks aren't being dishonest. They know Christians have been murdered in Iraq by the hundreds since Obama pulled us out of Iraq. Then there's the ethnic cleansing going on in Yemen and the Sudan for over a decade. All has been hidden by the MSM.
How nice of you to speak up for shi'ites in Yemen. Our congress just rebuked our child president and revoked its support for the party carrying out ethnic cleansing of shi'ites in Yemen. I'm sure your thank you letter is in the mail.
Yeah, it's Trump’s fault when most of it was happening under Bush and Obama.

I quote Maajid Nawaz regularly here. He is the liberal Muslim Brit who coined the term "Regressive Left", horrified by the way many on the Left make a bad situation worse by coddling the worst elements of Islam in the West. Mr. Nawaz can see both sides of this issue. I know being able to see both sides of an issue is not considered a good thing here.

He risks his life every day, pushing for reform of his beloved religion. He was assaulted, again, just the other day (I suspect he'll be attacked here, too - that's how they operate). Here's his take on the predictable madness that has followed the New Zealand attack.

LONDON—The anti-Muslim terrorist attack at two mosques in New Zealand marked perhaps the lowest point for Muslim communities in the West since the Bosnia genocide. It has left no doubt that far-right extremism is on the march once more.

But the sheer human tragedy of this attack against my Muslim communities has not deterred extremists from those other two ends of our political spectrum, the far left and the theocratic Islamists, from seeking to exploit it for their own nefarious purposes.

So it is with no surprise that I noticed, a mere day after 50 of my fellow Muslims were so publicly and tragically killed, while the blood was still wet and the bodies remained unburied, that the ideologues had circled like vultures. Opportunistic Islamist and far-left extremists began calling for a purge of people whose politics they disagree with, and started publishing McCarthyite lists of personae non grata to target. Few have come under fiercer assault than my friend and collaborator in dialogue, Sam Harris. The following spectacle has been incredibly unedifying.

Of course, inflammatory anti-Muslim language must be condemned by us all, and many anti-Muslim provocateurs should take a hard look at themselves after New Zealand, just as we must condemn inflammatory Islamist and far-left language. That is different, though, from trying to silence an entire policy concern like Western foreign policy or opposing immigration and critiquing Islam respectively. Only the extremists wish to shut down debate. And so it is crucial that we do not respond to far-right extremism in such a way that we inadvertently empower extremists from other ends of the political spectrum. Terrorists prefer the bullet to the ballot. Let us not become pawns in their game.

I don't like seeing anyone attacking innocent Muslims....but I also cannot handle the whining Muslims who feel they were personally attacked when they live 8000 miles away from the attack, and try to use this typically Islamic martyrdom complex to claim the right to attack others.
Did you say tbe same thing about "whining" Jews after the shooting at the Pittsburgh Synagogue? I suspect a lot Jews felt it personaly. Being a minority and targeted by violence and expresdong it when your community is attacked is hardly whining. Not when people are getting killed.
But i think these folks aren't being dishonest. They know Christians have been murdered in Iraq by the hundreds since Obama pulled us out of Iraq. Then there's the ethnic cleansing going on in Yemen and the Sudan for over a decade. All has been hidden by the MSM.
How nice of you to speak up for shi'ites in Yemen. Our congress just rebuked our child president and revoked its support for the party carrying out ethnic cleansing of shi'ites in Yemen. I'm sure your thank you letter is in the mail.
I didnt blame trump. I dont blame our leaders for the actions of evil foreigners. And it's not as if the ignorant, incurious babyman had any understanding of these events anyway.

The responses of all Republicans really. Their supporters accept body counts as a costs of doing business. As long as there is that sort of acceptance of the patently unacceptable...we will have this grotesque paradox between the way it should be and the way it is.

With all due respect, Candycorn, the above represents the horrors of well-intentioned non-thinking gone terribly awry.

Have you checked the responses of "all Republicans"? Because if you have not, you should stay quiet.

Then you go on about "Their supporters". Again, all of them? Have you checked what "their supporters" accept? If not...

And then you form your conclusion based on the foregoing, ill-thought-out premises, seemingly without seeing that the same stereotyping you are engaged in here as the habit of ultra-right-wingers is the pathological basis for, say, the Christchurch mass murderer. Muslims. All of them.

SMH.

I’ll be happy to entertain your response.

Probably should have said “most Republicans on the national stage”

mudwhistle national emergencies weren't an issue under any other president until trump. so buddy they are waving a great big fickle finger of fate at you and me. I say fk them!!

I didnt blame trump. I dont blame our leaders for the actions of evil foreigners. And it's not as if the ignorant, incurious babyman had any understanding of these events anyway.
but you do. too fking funny.

mudwhistle national emergencies weren't an issue under any other president until trump.
Because nobody had so blatantly abused it for political expedience, until the child president came along.
neither did trump.
Haha...one can pretend to be many things on the internet, but "witty" and "smart" are not among them....as you are demonstrating...
it is great when I'm winning. and I continue that process daily in here.

I wonder if people realize that their rhetoric is exactly the same as that used by Jew haters for centuries ... with a different noun.
No, it is not exactly the same.

Jewish communities living in disparate portions of the world kept to themselves for the most part, and we're not in the business of trying to turn everybody Jewish. Islam is extremely aggressive, as its central dictate involves replicating itself until Islam is all that remains.

If you applied any logic whatsoever to your statement, there would have to be a hundred Jews for each Muslim instead of the other way around - even more so considering Judaism had a 2000 year head start.

Last edited:
Is it racist to be more outraged by the kind of shooter who acted in N.Z. than by Moslem killers of fellow Moslems all around the world?

mudwhistle national emergencies weren't an issue under any other president until trump. so buddy they are waving a great big fickle finger of fate at you and me. I say fk them!!

Those were emergencies...

Not a different way to complete ridiculous campaign promises.

Wasn’t Mexico supposed to be paying for the wall anyway?

mudwhistle national emergencies weren't an issue under any other president until trump.
Because nobody had so blatantly abused it for political expedience, until the child president came along.
neither did trump.
Haha...one can pretend to be many things on the internet, but "witty" and "smart" are not among them....as you are demonstrating...
Clearly.

so is the border. obammy said so himself as did Schumer. you know this right?

So why haven't any of our resident liberal human shields for islam called the man in the OP an "islamophobe" or "xenophobe"? I have been called both for making precisely the same comments.

They declared a national emergency?

They declared a national emergency?
yes they did.

Forum List

Back