A president shouldn't have free speech rights.....

A presidents words can cause the stock market to go up or down, influence people to do and say things, etc. When you are an ordinary citizen I understand, but if you become the president your words matter. When you’re the president, it's not a game.
Yet, a President sill has a Constitutional right of freedom of speech. Trump isn't responsible for a mob of idiots any more than the Democrat party is responsible for the riots of 2020 which they encouraged.

Communication? Where is the line where the president is no longer the president, but is the person?
Who gets to call it?
From what I understand it just depends on if they are speaking from official capacity. Like speaking at a government function, things like that.
When officials are on duty, they are the government. Not a private citizen.

From what I understand it just depends on if they are speaking from official capacity. Like speaking at a government function, things like that.
When officials are on duty, they are the government. Not a private citizen.
That is being vague, IMO. A president's opinion can be both a personal opinion, and official capacity.
Like I said.......maybe classified material?

If Biden announces that he's removing fossil fuels, is that official capacity? Or, is it a personal opinion and shouldn't have been said?

That is being vague, IMO. A president's opinion can be both a personal opinion, and official capacity.
Like I said.......maybe classified material?

If Biden announces that he's removing fossil fuels, is that official capacity? Or, is it a personal opinion and shouldn't have been said?
It just depends on the context, I would assume.
But when he said that, he was a private citizen.

It just depends on the context, I would assume.
But when he said that, he was a private citizen.
My point is that there is no way to muzzle a presidents freedom of speech.
And...in reality I don't want to, it would mean that we would have another layer
of thought police....and just who would get to enforce it.

My point is that there is no way to muzzle a presidents freedom of speech.
And...in reality I don't want to, it would mean that we would have another layer
of thought police....and just who would get to enforce it.
There are laws and supreme court rulings on the subject.

When people join the military the volunteer to give up some of their rights in order to defend liberty for people like you that are too lazy and selfish to do so yourself.

There is no reason an elected official could not do the same thing. If they do not wish to, they do not run for office.
You can limit the speech of a federal employee. You cannot limit the speech of the president.

It has nothing to do with rights though, it has everything to do with the office they hold and the immense power that office gives them. There just is not a functional way to accomplish this.

If what they say is bad enough then congress has oversight abilities. That is the best we are going to get.

Yet, a President sill has a Constitutional right of freedom of speech. Trump isn't responsible for a mob of idiots any more than the Democrat party is responsible for the riots of 2020 which they encouraged.

Trump spent 6 weeks lying to them and inciting them to riot.

The Constitution doesnt afford its rights to the government.
There are laws against people in the government willingly lying to the people. It just never gets applied, unless they are orange, apparently.
There is even a law where public servants cant publicaly speak against the constitution. Such as trying to garner support for an unconstitutional law. It never gets applied either. Unless trump did it, of course.

The difference is that Orange bragged about these injustices ... all these politicians have classified documents in their closets, just Orange flaunted it ...

Yes, there are "laws" prohibiting Federal employees from advocating the destruction of the United States ... in the private sector, we have "rules" that prohibit employees from advocating the destruction of the company ... same thing ...

... or do you mean advocating an amendment to the Constitution? ... because technically, that's against our Constitution, but still covered by the 1st Amendment ...

=====

We should have tried Nixon ... but better late than never ... long past time we prosecuted corrupt politicians ... hang 'em ... hang 'em high ...

Forum List

Back