Alex Jones Sued for Defamation After Misidentifying Parkland Gunman...

aaronleland

Diamond Member
May 19, 2012
Alex Jones and Infowars Are Sued for Defamation After Misidentifying Parkland Gunman

Shortly after a gunman entered Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida in February and killed 17 people, the conspiracy theory website Infowars claimed it had a photo of the attacker wearing “communist garb.” It showed a young man with a clenched fist in a red shirt emblazoned with a hammer and sickle and images of Joseph Stalin, Vladimir Lenin and Karl Marx.

But that man was not Nikolas Cruz, who was arrested two miles from the Parkland, Fla., school on Feb. 14 and later confessed to the shooting, the police said. The man in the red shirt was Marcel Fontaine, who lives 1,200 miles away in Massachusetts and has never visited Florida.

On Monday, Mr. Fontaine filed a defamation lawsuit against Infowars, one of its reporters and its right-wing founder, Alex Jones, asserting that their story misidentified him as the gunman and caused his photo to spread across social media, message boards and other websites. In the lawsuit, a lawyer for Mr. Fontaine said it appeared that Infowars published his photo simply because of his shirt.

“Mr. Jones and Infowars have long been consumed with paranoia over the prospect of communist infiltration and indoctrination,” the lawsuit, filed in Travis County District Court in Austin, Tex., said. “Over the past year alone, Infowars has featured hundreds of sensationalist articles and videos focusing on the threat of communist agitation and conspiracies.”

Mr. Fontaine declined a request for an interview, but his lawyer, Mark D. Bankston, said it was obvious that Mr. Fontaine’s shirt was not to be taken seriously. The shirt, which is called “The Communist Party,” shows Marx, the 19th century economist who wrote “The Communist Manifesto,” wearing a lampshade on his head and Stalin, Lenin, Mao Zedong and Fidel Castro drinking from red plastic cups.

“We believe that Mr. Fontaine was targeted due to the T-shirt he was wearing, and that Infowars intentionally disregarded fundamental newsroom ethics due to its desire to politicize the tragedy,” Mr. Bankston said.

Infowars did not respond to a request for comment on Tuesday.

I remember idiots on USMB posting this man's picture for days after the Parkland shooting, even after numerous people pointed out that his "communist" t-shirt wasn't meant to be taken seriously. I didn't know the picture originated from InfoWars. Who knew Alex Jones was a jackass? :dunno:

His picture was posted numerous times on this forum. It didn't matter that they looked nothing alike, all mattered was that he was a commie liberal responsible for the Parkland shooting.

His picture was posted numerous times on this forum. It didn't matter that they looked nothing alike, all mattered was that he was a commie liberal responsible for the Parkland shooting.

I didn't see it. Still a nothing burger though.

I doubt he's been harmed drastically by it

Yeah...I remember the shirt pic being posted numerous times by some of the tin-foil hat crowd.

Alex Jones strikes again

iu

Hmmm..so having your picture spread about..identified as the perpetrator of a mass school shooting, no harm?

I think a jury may disagree.

More to the point is that it illustrates some of the idiots we have posting here...grasping at lies to bolster their deranged arguments.

LMFAO and the stupidity of society can't figure out why the push FALSE PROPAGANDA LIKE THIS...... so idiots remain idiots.

for your information he has already beaten SIX of these LIES and he will be suing them back.

Hmmm..so having your picture spread about..identified as the perpetrator of a mass school shooting, no harm?

I think a jury may disagree.

More to the point is that it illustrates some of the idiots we have posting here...grasping at lies to bolster their deranged arguments.
:gay: ^^^^

It is certainly defamation of character.

It is certainly defamation of character.

Have to show damages. I don't even like Jones but this is nonsense

LMFAO and the stupidity of society can't figure out why the push FALSE PROPAGANDA LIKE THIS...... so idiots remain idiots.

for your information he has already beaten SIX of these LIES and he will be suing them back.
Yeah..I guess the Chobani thing..must have been the seventh, right?

InfoWars' Alex Jones apologizes for saying Chobani supports 'migrant rapists'

Alex Jones settles Chobani lawsuit and retracts comments about refugees in Twin Falls, Idaho

"Alex Jones backed down. Again.

The far-right conspiracy theorist agreed Wednesday to settle a defamation lawsuit filed against him by Greek yogurt manufacturer Chobani. The key component of the settlement agreement required him to retract inflammatory comments about refugees and the company he made on his Infowars broadcast last month.

"During the week of April 10, 2017, certain statements were made on the Infowars, Twitter feed and YouTube channel regarding Chobani LLC that I now understand to be wrong. The tweets and video have now been retracted, and will not be re-posted," Jones said. "On behalf of Infowars, I regret that we mischaracterized Chobani, its employees and the people of Twin Falls, Idaho, the way we did."

It marks the latest blow to Jones, who in March apologized and issued a retraction to a Washington, D.C.-based pizzeria for his broadcast's role in pushing a false story about a child sex ring that involved Hillary Clinton."

What stupidity CAN'T see nor figure out

Recent Lawsuit Against Infowars Designed To Be Attack On Free Speech

Some of these families of school shootings have received death threats when people like Jones accuse them of being crisis actors. When you're dealing with retards of (MindWars) this caliber having your pictured plastered across the web as a school shooter is no small matter.

Forum List

Back