Amanda Knox Guilt Reinstated.

Swell. What's good for us is good for them. The Italian government would simply agree to try the defendant with a double jeopardy clause if the case was that important to them.

It's a two way street. If we change our procedures to accommodate them, it is expected that they do the same.

You know that this was the THIRD Knox trial.

True, and with Double Jeopardy, you cannot be retried for the same crime following a legitimate acquittal. She was acquitted, let it go.

I doubt Italy has a double jeopardy law. Their legal system doesn't seem to be that advanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Rat in Ernie's anus's tears.

The key here is double jeopardy. She can't be tried twice for the same murder. I am aware that Italy does not have a double jeopardy clause. However Italy also does not have Capital Punishment. Would Italy extradite an Italian Citizen to the U.S. to face the death penalty? If the answer is no, then we should not extradite Ms. Knox back to Italy as they lack a double jeopardy clause in their constitution.

This has nothing to do with double Jeopardy.
It has everything to do with Double Jeopardy. If an Italian Citizen were convicted of a capital murder, the Italian government would not extradite him unless his sentence were commuted to life in order to accommodate their laws. We should do the same. An American citizen should not be extradited to Italy unless they agree to apply the Double Jeopardy clause in order to accommodate our laws.

What's good for them is good for us.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

You know that this was the THIRD Knox trial.

True, and with Double Jeopardy, you cannot be retried for the same crime following a legitimate acquittal. She was acquitted, let it go.

I doubt Italy has a double jeopardy law. Their legal system doesn't seem to be that advanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Rat in Ernie's anus's tears.

Italy's legal system is an antiquity.

Not if the Italian was guilty of capital murder would the It govt xfr an Italian to the US if the punishment was death.

For the love of common sense, please realize our gov't would simply agree to try the defendant with a max sentence of life w/out parole if the case was that important to them.
Swell. What's good for us is good for them. The Italian government would simply agree to try the defendant with a double jeopardy clause if the case was that important to them.
It's a two way street. If we change our procedures to accommodate them, it is expected that they do the same.

Unfortunately for you, this case has nothing to do with double jeopardy because she was found guilty in her original trial.

Now, scamper along or pick some other vapid excuse to object.

She was found guilty, and appealed. The appellate court ordered a new trial in which she was acquitted. Italy has no double jeopardy protections. Anyone could be tried as many times as necessary to achieve the desired result.

I think I'll take the word of legal experts (thanks for the link, Chuckt) over the armchair lawyers that have no understanding of the extradition process.

Speaking of legal experts:

Legal analysts debated whether the U.S. would send Knox back to Italy if Rome requests extradition.

It is unlikely that Knox will return to Italy to serve additional prison time because U.S. law dictates that a person cannot be tried twice on the same charge, a legal expert told CNN.

"She was once put in jeopardy and later acquitted," said Sean Casey, a former prosecutor who is now a partner at Kobre & Kim in New York. "Under the treaty (between the two nations), extradition should not be granted."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/30/world/europe/italy-amanda-knox-retrial/

For the love of common sense, please realize our gov't would simply agree to try the defendant with a max sentence of life w/out parole if the case was that important to them.

Unfortunately for you, this case has nothing to do with double jeopardy because she was found guilty in her original trial.

Now, scamper along or pick some other vapid excuse to object.
See prior post.

I think I'll take the word of legal experts (thanks for the link, Chuckt) over the armchair lawyers that have no understanding of the extradition process.

Speaking of legal experts:

Legal analysts debated whether the U.S. would send Knox back to Italy if Rome requests extradition.

It is unlikely that Knox will return to Italy to serve additional prison time because U.S. law dictates that a person cannot be tried twice on the same charge, a legal expert told CNN.

"She was once put in jeopardy and later acquitted," said Sean Casey, a former prosecutor who is now a partner at Kobre & Kim in New York. "Under the treaty (between the two nations), extradition should not be granted."

Amanda Knox found guilty of murder again by Italian court - CNN.com

I'll take the word of a man that stands behind his statements (Havard law professor Dershowitz) over some "unnamed source" (edit) and "former prosecutor" (edit), tyvm.

Last edited:
The top-rated comment from the article - Classic:

I think it was the immigrant burglar named Rudy Guede who had a history of breaking into second story buildings by smashing the window with a rock and climbing on in. The cottage had a broken second story window smashed open with a rock. His various criminal activities, aside from burglary and trespassing, also included knife wielding. The victim was stabbed to death. His DNA was found in the victim's gentitals and he left his handprint in her blood, and footprints matching his shoes made in the victim's blood were found around the body and trailing away from the crime scene.

The victim's state of digestion, taking into account the start time of her last meal, strongly suggested she died not long after she arrived back at the cottage which was 9 PM local time. Meredith was known to be attacked while still wearing her outdoor jacket. Her cell phone had unusual activity by 10 PM local time suggesting it was no longer in her possession. All of this supports Rudy's own testimony, which is that she was almost certainly dead by 9:30 PM local time, which alibis the students Amanda and Raffaele, not that any evidence or plausible theory would tie them to her death. But this is just my opinion. You may have a different one, which is more wrong and less based on the facts.

But this is just my opinion. You may have a different one, which is more wrong and less based on the facts.

I'm so stealing that!

The key here is double jeopardy. She can't be tried twice for the same murder. I am aware that Italy does not have a double jeopardy clause. However Italy also does not have Capital Punishment. Would Italy extradite an Italian Citizen to the U.S. to face the death penalty? If the answer is no, then we should not extradite Ms. Knox back to Italy as they lack a double jeopardy clause in their constitution.

It has everything to do with Double Jeopardy. If an Italian Citizen were convicted of a capital murder, the Italian government would not extradite him unless his sentence were commuted to life in order to accommodate their laws. We should do the same. An American citizen should not be extradited to Italy unless they agree to apply the Double Jeopardy clause in order to accommodate our laws.

No it has nothing to do with it. She hasn't been charged again. It is the same case still in progress that has several stages left to go. When those are over, if she is found guilty she needs to go back and server her punishment.

No it has nothing to do with it. She hasn't been charged again. It is the same case still in progress that has several stages left to go. When those are over, if she is found guilty she needs to go back and server her punishment.
I was under the impression that she has already been sentenced to a 28 year prison term?

I was under the impression that she has already been sentenced to a 28 year prison term?

She was, now we're waiting to see if the US will extradite her.....:)

No, she doesn't have to go back unless the US extradites her. They have already found her guilty, but in the US you can't be tried again after being declared innocent, and she was, that is why she was able to come back to the US.

Now, if Italy requests that she be extradited, it will be up to the US to decide whether or not Italy violates our Constitution, and if they do they probably won't extradite her.

I'm betting that they won't because I don't believe she is guilty.

Can you at least try and put everything in one post? Again her case is in the appeals process. And again this case has squat to do with US law since it DID NOT Happen here. And I never said anything about what she could do. I said what she should do.

Can you at least try and put everything in one post? Again her case is in the appeals process. And again this case has squat to do with US law since it DID NOT Happen here. And I never said anything about what she could do. I said what she should do.

So who are you talking to? You need to quote whoever you are talking to, because there are several people here responding to your posts....

It may not have anything to do with US law, but she is a US citizen and will get protection when another country is not acting fair.

And you think she should just roll over and go serve 28 years even if she is innocent....now that's a novel idea.

Forum List

Back