🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Americans Are Willing to Pay More to Bring Back Manufacturing Jobs

Americans strongly agree with both major presidential candidates about the importance of bringing manufacturing jobs back to the United States and are willing to pay more for consumer goods to make it happen. (To see survey question wording, click here.)

Americans Are Willing to Pay More to Bring Back Manufacturing Jobs - Rasmussen Reports™

But only Trump has a plan to bring those jobs back.

What's stopping them? Go ahead and pay more. It's easy to say, but when it's time to pay the ferryman most people walk away.

Well lets think that through- shall we- if the industry is not very labor intensive.......then not many jobs will come then- will they?

Its THAT simple logical equation that seems to escape some dim witted right wingers.....including the hapless, Trump.

Its even more cruel for the likes of a Trump to "promise" coal workers in KY and WV that he would bring their jobs back; its demagoguery at its worst....

American Apparel disproves this theory.
What is that? and how much percentage of clothing is imported?

It's a company I started following a few years ago to see where it would end up, started out well, strictly American made clothing but it's failing, can't compete with foreign labor costs and now is up for sale, whoever buys it will outsource the manufacturing, it's inevitable

By the way- it can't compete even though we impose duty rates of between 20-30% on clothing made in places like China- where the majority of clothing imports come from.
It could compete if China were forced to allow its currency to float instead of devaluing it to keep its manufactures cheaper than our's.

China's manufacturing is less than ours because of several things:
a) Labor is cheaper- not as cheap as it once was- it has risen dramatically in the last 10 years- the average manufacturing wage is about $8,000 a year. You really believe floating currency will make $8,000 a year labor equal to $50,000 a year labor in the United States?
b) Less regulation- Chinese manufacturing loves to pollute
View attachment 91683If we allowed American industry to operate like Chinese industry that would make American industry more competitive.....

By the way- I have never seen or felt air pollution the way I have in Beijing.

I kind of agree but been seeing reports some sectors? Of China labor cost is getting real equal to ours., that's why country's like Vietnam is under cutting their labor prices.

Well lets think that through- shall we- if the industry is not very labor intensive.......then not many jobs will come then- will they?

Its THAT simple logical equation that seems to escape some dim witted right wingers.....including the hapless, Trump.

Its even more cruel for the likes of a Trump to "promise" coal workers in KY and WV that he would bring their jobs back; its demagoguery at its worst....

The clown of USMB can't figure out their has been a war on coal from the tree huggers for the past 30 years? Your ilk is the one passing laws , subsidizing green energy to make it more expensive fuck head it has little to do with the market.

What is that? and how much percentage of clothing is imported?

It's a company I started following a few years ago to see where it would end up, started out well, strictly American made clothing but it's failing, can't compete with foreign labor costs and now is up for sale, whoever buys it will outsource the manufacturing, it's inevitable

By the way- it can't compete even though we impose duty rates of between 20-30% on clothing made in places like China- where the majority of clothing imports come from.
It could compete if China were forced to allow its currency to float instead of devaluing it to keep its manufactures cheaper than our's.

a) Labor is cheaper- not as cheap as it once was- it has risen dramatically in the last 10 years- the average manufacturing wage is about $8,000 a year. You really believe floating currency will make $8,000 a year labor equal to $50,000 a year labor in the United States?
View attachment 91683If we allowed American industry to operate like Chinese industry that would make American industry more competitive.....

I kind of agree but been seeing reports some sectors? Of China labor cost is getting real equal to ours., that's why country's like Vietnam is under cutting their labor prices.

China labor is skyrocketing- and yes- those jobs are going to other countries were labor is cheaper- Vietnam mostly.

China labor is skyrocketing- and yes- those jobs are going to other countries were labor is cheaper- Vietnam mostly.
So you are saying he can't bring back American jobs from China?

Then he's lying to his base and they are ignorant to the truth.

Americans strongly agree with both major presidential candidates about the importance of bringing manufacturing jobs back to the United States and are willing to pay more for consumer goods to make it happen. (To see survey question wording, click here.)

Americans Are Willing to Pay More to Bring Back Manufacturing Jobs - Rasmussen Reports™

the thing is, we aren't a manufacturing economy anymore. so i'm not quite certain why the focus on manufacturing jobs. we need good service economy jobs. ... like building/repairing infrastructure.

Still trying To say that lie Jillian?

Btw manufacturing in the U.S. never had more jobs then the service industry.

SBR0127-MainReport-Graphic2.gif

Wrong graph

SBR0127-MainReport-Graphic1.gif

Ah.....
  • Do you think your graph might be actually meaningful were it to have a title so we know what it depicts for 2005 and 2014?
Also, seeing as your remark pertaining to the graph is, "manufacturing in the U.S. never had more jobs then the service industry," a graph that shows a comparison between manufacturing and service jobs over time would be more germane and supportive of your assertion than would a graph that shows "some single thing" for two different years. "Manufacturing Jobs" vs. "Service Jobs" rather than "2005" vs. "2014" is what you need to present. If you present the job-type comparison within a temporal context, fine, but the point of comparison for the chart needs to be jobs not years.

Sidebar:
And folks on here chide me as though I'm the idiot when I remark about people not knowing what they are doing or talking about....And then we get stuff like this BS above....The "purple" chart is even stated as being the replacement for the earlier incorrect "green" one. It''s likely neither of them is the right chart, although either of them could be if presented in conjunction with another chart as one might do if one chart reflects service jobs and the other manufacturing jobs.​

Google is your friend research it yourself if you don't know.

I don't actually care whether "manufacturing in the U.S. never had more jobs then the service industry." I was just remarking on the insipidity of your post.

Americans paying more is only part of it. Here is what is also needed.......

- More restrictions/tariffs on imports
- Lower Corporate Taxes
- Less Regulations
- Less Limited Liability
- Less/no artificial wage mandates (e.g. unions and/or government)

Competitive markets globally don't have the level of taxes, regulations, liability, and wage mandates that we do.

We have no free trade deal with China.

Cotton T-shirts from China- 16.5% duty.
Our trade with China is governed by WTO rules.

Our duty rates are determined by the United States- and our duty rate for all countries including China for cotton t-shirts is 16.5%

We have no free trade deal with China- you just were wrong.
I am not wrong. The WTO is a multilateral free trade agreement.

You are absolutely wrong. The World Trade Organization is a trade agreement framework- a system of rules and dispute resolutions- not a Free Trade Agreement.

Free Trade Agreements are like NAFTA, and CAFTA, and Israeli Free Trade Agreement and on and on. We have a bunch of free trade agreements around the world- but not a single one with China.
lol So what do you think a free trade agreement is? It is a system of rules and conflict resolutions between two or more nations.

A Free Trade Agreement is pretty specific- here is a list of the Free Trade Agreements the United States is a member of:
http://trade.gov/fta/

As of January 1, 2015, the United States has 14 FTAs in force with 20 countries

What is a free trade agreement?

Well lets say you want to import say slip joint pliers. From all of the WTO countries the duty rate is 14%.
But from Mexico or Canada- those pliers are duty free.

Free Trade Agreements- FTA's- very specific.
World Trade Organization is a world trade organization that regulates trade- its not a free trade agreement.

It's good that Americans are willing to pay higher prices. I wonder how the hell they intend to obtain the money to pay those higher prices?
Complex industrial processes such as steel production, papermaking, car manufacturing and mineral processing use multiple layered and networked computer control systems, usually referred to as "distributed control systems," (DCS) which widely perform operational management, monitoring and automation for the whole production lines. If manufacturing jobs that have been offshored were to return to the U.S., just what do you think companies will do? I'll tell you what they'lld do; they'll recognize that they have to build a wholly new manufacturing facility in the U.S. and in the process of doing so, they'll implement DCS instead of hiring people. And what they implement will be 2020-era technology, not the late 20th century to early 21st century tech they are using in their overseas factories.

If any jobs are created by that process, they'll be tech jobs and other highly skilled jobs that will be just as inaccessible to the folks who can't get one of the ~3M available "good" jobs that exist now as are those jobs they can't get now. Accordingly, what is the point of bringing back manufacturing when all it'll do is raise prices for everyone and increase the quantity of jobs that have gone unfilled.

I guess there's one good thing about doing it, however. Highly skilled folks who already have "good" jobs will see their salaries go up, for the need to implement new automation technology will result in another wave of "change jobs every two years to, at a minimum, double your salary" much like what happened in the 1990s.

Red:
Good, then would you mind showing or explaining a few things? You see, I don't know about you, but when someone tells me I must pay more, the very first question I ask is, "How much more?" Accordingly, what I want to see from Trump or his team is the following:
  • What are Trump's estimates of how much higher will be the consumer prices Americans must pay as a result of bringing back those manufacturing jobs?

• What econometric model did he (or his advisors) use to arrive at that estimate. I presume he (his team) used one of the gravity models of economic modeling. I just want to know which one and what assumptions they applied when doing so. It may be that he (his advisors), rather than performing the estimation/analysis themselves, relied upon an existing study and extrapolated his/their estimates from it using some rational methodology. That's okay too; I just want to know enough so I can examine the study and the methods used for the application of its ideas to Trump's plan.
I love plans. I'm always happy to look at them and consider their merit. As far as I know, Trump's strategy is to impose tariffs (goods tariffs or income taxes).
How much more would you be willing to pay for a TV set if it would save your brother's job?

Now that I've below answered your question, please answer mine. They are still there in the quoted content above in this post.

You know, I'm the wrong person to ask that question. I'm not among the folks who will attest to being willing to pay more for goods and services in order to "bring back manufacturing." Accordingly, my answer to your question is "nothing." The reason it's "nothing" is because my brother, or children even, getting a job is not worth the whole damn country paying more for "everything," or even just television sets. I could never be that selfish, neither could my children be.

the thing is, we aren't a manufacturing economy anymore. so i'm not quite certain why the focus on manufacturing jobs. we need good service economy jobs. ... like building/repairing infrastructure.

upload_2016-9-30_20-19-37.jpeg

I'm sure you do a great job of asking if someone would like that supersized at $7.25 an hour.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

- Lower Corporate Taxes
- Less Regulations
- Less Limited Liability

Competitive markets globally don't have the level of taxes, regulations, liability, and wage mandates that we do.

More restrictions and tariffs on imports can lead to trade wars- or just higher costs for American consumers. Do you want to pay 30% more for a TV? That is what Donald Trump has proposed.
Lower corporate taxes? Might help
Less Regulations- yes- China does have less regulations.
upload_2016-9-30_18-22-20.jpeg
The Chinese people pay for less regulations
Eliminating unions? Yep China doesn't allow real organizing.....

Yes- we could be more like China......

If you bleev the Bring Our Jobs Back fools, you'd think a textile worker should be paid 30 dollars an hour.

It's a low tech industry and should be automated or outsourced.

In fact, a lot of jobs that have vanished didn't go overseas. They were automated and are NEVER coming back.

The days of growing up to work in the same factory as your daddy are over. Trump is selling a cocaine-induced fantasy.

We need to be training our kids for the jobs of tomorrow, not the old low-tech jobs of yesterday.
You must have never been in a large warping plant have you ?

Yea I am saying he is lying..he can make it more business friendly like in bringing back the trillions of dollars stashed over seas, put a dog collar on the EPA , get rid of obama care ...keep the best parts and throw out the rest.

But the real private sector growers are the states themselfs.

His assinine trade wars and tariffs will never ever work, nor will congress ever let him do it unless he can really scam foreign country's.

Well I haven't said it but I think one of the most dangerous aspects of a President Trump is that much of what he says he would do would likely lead to a Trade war that could send the world into a Great Depression.

He has suggested a 30% Duty on Chinese goods- which would mean American consumers would pay 30% more for most of what they buy in Target and Walmart and Costco.

China would retaliate with probably a 30% duty on all American imports- which would kill a lot of American agriculture- it would devestate the Mid-West. And help kill off the American air industry.

Trump's trade policies are actually very frightening.

- Lower Corporate Taxes
- Less Regulations
- Less Limited Liability

More restrictions and tariffs on imports can lead to trade wars- or just higher costs for American consumers. Do you want to pay 30% more for a TV? That is what Donald Trump has proposed.
View attachment 91697The Chinese people pay for less regulations

Increase tariffs to be on part with our competitors couldn't hurt. What is easier? America selling agriculture and automotives in Japan or Japan selling agriculture and cars in the US? One more thing.......Americans need to take home more of their pay.

Labor unions have forced jobs overseas… Fact

Yep- American's would have those Chinese jobs if only the unions hadn't forced companies to pay them more than $8,000 a year......

- Lower Corporate Taxes
- Less Regulations
- Less Limited Liability

View attachment 91697The Chinese people pay for less regulations

Increase tariffs to be on part with our competitors couldn't hurt. What is easier? America selling agriculture and automotives in Japan or Japan selling agriculture and cars in the US? One more thing.......Americans need to take home more of their pay.

How are Americans going to take home more if we raise tariff's on imported goods?

Labor unions have forced jobs overseas… Fact

It's a mulidtude of things

1. Consumers
2. High taxes
3. Like you said :Unions
4. Greedy company's

No one is innocent here ..even you and me.

Forum List

Back