Anybody Else Hate New Cars & Miss Old Ones?

As long as a car gets me from point A to point B in a reasonable manner I don't care what its fancy luxury features are. I don't care how many high tech, starship-looking toys with which the sci-fi dashboard bristles. I DON'T require a car to wipe my glorious, gold-plated asshole every time I shit Tahitian black pearls from it. As long as a vehicle runs and drives fairly nicely - without vacuuming too much money out of me - that's all I've ever wanted from a car. I can survive without A/C, I can survive without seat-warmers, I can survive without automatic everything, I can survive with a rearview mirror instead of a reverse-computer-monitor, I can survive without the most sonically advanced, stereo-surround-sound car music system that ever shook a highway, I can survive without a bunch of GPS blinking, beeping, cool-looking gadgetry.....Really. The simplest, basic, stick-shift car is all I really crave.
Dude, gotta have AC and a heater. The rest I agree with.

As long as a car gets me from point A to point B in a reasonable manner I don't care what its fancy luxury features are. I don't care how many high tech, starship-looking toys with which the sci-fi dashboard bristles. I DON'T require a car to wipe my glorious, gold-plated asshole every time I shit Tahitian black pearls from it. As long as a vehicle runs and drives fairly nicely - without vacuuming too much money out of me - that's all I've ever wanted from a car. I can survive without A/C, I can survive without seat-warmers, I can survive without automatic everything, I can survive with a rearview mirror instead of a reverse-computer-monitor, I can survive without the most sonically advanced, stereo-surround-sound car music system that ever shook a highway, I can survive without a bunch of GPS blinking, beeping, cool-looking gadgetry.....Really. The simplest, basic, stick-shift car is all I really crave.
Dude, gotta have AC and a heater. The rest I agree with.

It really depends on your local climate. If you live in a climate as mild as CA's central coast, neither is terribly urgent. If you live in the American southwest of course you need AC and if you live in the Rockies or New England winters of course you need a heater. But where I live, neither are a real necessity.

Since we're on the subject of cars, I have nothing against hybrids, but......if Toyota Prii are so ubiquitous, can't they be more pleasant to look at? Seriously, the Prius is one of the ugliest-looking cars I've seen since the French Citroen (which looks like it was in an accident even before it left the factory). When you look at the Prius trapezoid profile, it looks like that car couldn't decide which shape it wanted to be.

With today's overcomputerized, high tech cars and all their expensive fancy bells & whistles, I'm reminded of something Scotty said in Star Trek, "The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."
I agree many of today’s cars go way overboard with the whistles and bells, most of which I have no clue how or why to operate, but some of the technology is life-saving stuff such as the blind spot warning flashers for outside rear view mirrors. Backup and other video views are maybe more convenience than safety but sure make life easier along with a few other modern doodads.

With today's overcomputerized, high tech cars and all their expensive fancy bells & whistles, I'm reminded of something Scotty said in Star Trek, "The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."
I agree many of today’s cars go way overboard with the whistles and bells, most of which I have no clue how or why to operate, but some of the technology is life-saving stuff such as the blind spot warning flashers for outside rear view mirrors. Backup and other video views are maybe more convenience than safety but sure make life easier along with a few other modern doodads.
Nothing wrong with safety, but those danged check engine lights can go straight to Hades.... LOL.

I think everything we own has that light on, yet there is nothing wrong with the vehicles.

My sister spent thousands to get those lights off in her car, and she did it because she is OCD. Car runs and operates the same as it did.. lol

Everything must be perfect or else you see... LOL.

Nothing wrong with safety, but those danged check engine lights can go straight to Hades.... LOL.

I think everything we own has that light on, yet there is nothing wrong with the vehicles.

My sister spent thousands to get those lights off in her car, and she did it because she is OCD. Car runs and operates the same as it did.. lol

My car guy could write a book about ‘check engine’ related warning light stories. One of his main bitches is they light up due to all sorts of systems stuff that aren’t as dire as what some folks interpret when reading a dashboard warning light telling them to check their engines (or else, kaboom!).

My problem with new cars is that they all look alike!
Clones.

Exactly! That was my point all along; newer cars have no distinctive looks or unique features that make them stand out and easy to recognize. They all look like generic metal blobs.

Over the decades, those dashboard check-engine lights are exactly like car alarms and Aesop's Little Boy Who Cried Wolf: 90% of the time they go off so falsely it's simply impossible to take seriously. It is to be ignored.

Today’s cars are vastly superior in every area
I suppose they're safer and smarter; you can certainly slow down a lot more in third before the car stalls out.
I miss the little triangle windows in the front, though, and bench seats so you could snuggle up to the driver or squeeze a few extra people in.
Those vent windows disappeared with AC
I don’t miss bench seats

Today’s cars are vastly superior in every area
I suppose they're safer and smarter; you can certainly slow down a lot more in third before the car stalls out.
I miss the little triangle windows in the front, though, and bench seats so you could snuggle up to the driver or squeeze a few extra people in.
Those vent windows disappeared with AC
I don’t miss bench seats
My guess is, people got impaled by the frames during accidents. They were nice, though.
Figures you wouldn't miss bench seats, you old grouch.

I was around for the 60's. However with a little effort todays cars can be fixed by the do it your selfer. You will need a scan tool and access to data of the cars themselves but it is doable.
Yup. Oriellys scans it and I fix it. If I'm unsure I youtube first.
The only time I don't do the work is if it is so in depth that I can't or like when my on board computer system had to be redone.

I was around for the 60's. However with a little effort todays cars can be fixed by the do it your selfer. You will need a scan tool and access to data of the cars themselves but it is doable.
Yup. Oriellys scans it and I fix it. If I'm unsure I youtube first.
The only time I don't do the work is if it is so in depth that I can't or like when my on board computer system had to be redone.
I am real lazy I don't even want to do brakes anymore or exhaust.

Forum List

Back