Anybody Else Hate New Cars & Miss Old Ones?

The very first vehicle I drove was a 1932 Dodge truck with a reverse pedal.

The first car I owned was a 1957 Ford Fairlane 2door hardtop. I loved that car and it was clocked at 135mph with four adults in it.

However, I've hard new cars for the past few years, Nissan Xterras and my current 2015 Titan extended cab.

My son drives an older Mercury and spends almost all of his time working on it. He says he won't buy a new one because he wouldn't be able to work on it.

When I bought myTitan, I made sure I had a full all-paid warranty on it for 5 years. The only things I have to replace are tires, brakes, wipers, and belts. The benefit of having newer cars with more power, better fuel mileage, and more endurance.

New cars are nicer to drive..

Better suspensions, better brakes, better headlights, superior handling.
They also get better mileage, last twice as long, are safer and seldom break down

First cars were old very used VW Beetles. Had the Germans engineered the war as well as they did those cars we’d all be in lederhosen today. Absolutely indestructible machines that just kept running and running in spite of the stupid teenage things I’d put them through. One of them was the best snow car I’d ever had at the time after equipping it with a set of oversized illegally studded snow tires, the subsequent ticket for which cost me $50 but at least winter was about over when I finally got nabbed. But up until then there was no snow that could stop it and I looked for drifts to challenge it all the time.

Gotta 1998 Chevy 4×4 short bed "PAID FOR".

Runs great at 200,000 miles. I can work on it with no problem. I Love my old Truck.

I can haul my lawnmower trailer (to cut and groom the properties that I own), "fully loaded", and with no power loss (6cyl.) up the hill. Great gas mileage and consistency in mechanical operation. Life is good. :)

I purchased new vehicles in the past, but I Hate/Dred paying new vehicles off. No More for me I hope. :)

To many great used vehicles at a quarter of the price out there now (let someone else take the new car hit coming off the lot, then capitalize on their getting tired of something quick), so buying new is a rich person's game, and not a common sense smart person's game these days. Play it smart folks, but watch out for the Lemons always.

First cars were old very used VW Beetles. Had the Germans engineered the war as well as they did those cars we’d all be in lederhosen today. Absolutely indestructible machines that just kept running and running in spite of the stupid teenage things I’d put them through. One of them was the best snow car I’d ever had at the time after equipping it with a set of oversized illegally studded snow tires, the subsequent ticket for which cost me $50 but at least winter was about over when I finally got nabbed. But up until then there was no snow that could stop it and I looked for drifts to challenge it all the time.
My uncle made dune buggy's out of the VW's way back in the day.

Yes.

I had to give up the car I inherited from my grandpa after driving it for the most wonderful 8 years of my motoring life. We did sixteen states I think it was, one coast to the other. I’d get into the Nevada wilderness and get up over 100 sometimes and the car didn’t even blink.

My current car? Much more bells and whistles but nowhere near as much fun.

That's pretty much the general story of older "primitive" cars versus today's generic new cars with so many computerized features, it can do everything except wipe your ass (but still provide you apps in which to do so). That's why I have nostalgia for long drives in these old, rough-around-the-edges cars you could easily work on yourself. So you know your car's performance is a result of your own work, I've noticed that feeling of satisfaction in my youthful days when I was resurrecting mashed-up old rustbuckets back to life.

My uncle made dune buggy's out of the VW's way back in the day.

I know those funny-looking old VW Bugs were highly versatile in their day and they could be physically altered in a number of ways. They're the only model of car I know of that can be converted into a boat floating on the water.

The very first vehicle I drove was a 1932 Dodge truck with a reverse pedal.

The first car I owned was a 1957 Ford Fairlane 2door hardtop. I loved that car and it was clocked at 135mph with four adults in it.

However, I've hard new cars for the past few years, Nissan Xterras and my current 2015 Titan extended cab.

My son drives an older Mercury and spends almost all of his time working on it. He says he won't buy a new one because he wouldn't be able to work on it.

When I bought myTitan, I made sure I had a full all-paid warranty on it for 5 years. The only things I have to replace are tires, brakes, wipers, and belts. The benefit of having newer cars with more power, better fuel mileage, and more endurance.

If your first vehicles were still around, they would now be considered very expensive, valuable museum pieces today. I know you know that, I'm sort of stating the obvious here.

I can understand your son's misgivings; it is stunningly cheaper if you can fix your car yourself as opposed to taking it to price-gouging auto-technicians. It'll be a hell of a lot less assault on his bank account, that's for sure. No doubt about that. I always enjoyed having the ability to install new cylinder heads, tune-ups, clutches, oil-changes, doing spark-plug timing with that weird timing strobe-light, brake pads, etc., on older simpler cars.

I have had my current car for ten years and over 200,000 miles on it

It has its original exhaust system,never had a tune up,never touched the engine or transmission

I don’t miss cars from the 60s and 70s
My parents once had a Chevy Vega. Didn't even make 100K.
Bought a 76 Cutlass Supreme after that. Still had the big block V-8. Was a sweet looking ride but unreliable as hell and made it to a whopping 120K.

Weren't Chevy Vegas those mechanical assholes that had an aluminum block as opposed to a steel one? In which all its various aluminum engine parts would cheerfully melt into solder from normal use?

I have had my current car for ten years and over 200,000 miles on it

It has its original exhaust system,never had a tune up,never touched the engine or transmission

I don’t miss cars from the 60s and 70s
My parents once had a Chevy Vega. Didn't even make 100K.
Bought a 76 Cutlass Supreme after that. Still had the big block V-8. Was a sweet looking ride but unreliable as hell and made it to a whopping 120K.

Weren't Chevy Vegas those mechanical assholes that had an aluminum block as opposed to a steel one? In which all its various aluminum engine parts would cheerfully melt into solder from normal use?
Vegas sucked

Remember the Mazda’s with the Wankel engine?

I think everyone can agree that the worst older automotive abomination (or at least GM's) were those Oldsmobile diesels in the late '70s or '80s. Because those brain-addled, idiotic, shitheaded, cretinous, drooling-vegetable morons thought it was really cute to take a V8 GASOLINE block and put diesel heads on it (!!!). Which means the bore and stroke were all wrong for it to ever run correctly as a diesel. Its water jacket system was too small to disperse the extreme extra heat of a diesel. The crankshaft, connecting rods and bearings, and general metallic structure of the engine parts weren't anywhere near thick, heavy and reinforced enough to withstand the extreme extra torque of a diesel, so it had this adorable habit of throwing a rod at 40K miles. I'm sure it made an interesting, very expensive-sounding noise when it did so.

My aunt and uncle had an Olds diesel station wagon in the early '80s, it always spewed a giant, angry-looking stream of black smoke behind it - much like the starship Enterprise "tracer stream" when it goes into warp drive - and it had that 40k mile lifespan. Which was so rampant at the time I think they were recalled at some point but I don't remember for sure. That experiment certainly didn't last long. I've never heard of one of these unholy gasoline/diesel miscegenation engines lasting any longer than that forty thousand threshold.

I'd rather have a solid, no computer, crank-window, points and distributor+ carburetor car/truck any day.

With wings! (gotta have wings).

Ah yes, you brought up another detail of newer cars I utterly detest: automatic windows. Besides being a device designed specifically for laziness, it's just another pointless thing that can go wrong - and oh boy how often electric windows do. And more importantly, I always found manual roll-up windows far easier to adjust exactly how I want them.

We are living now in a time that no one who remembers the great muscle cars of the late 60's and early 70's thought would ever comeback. Many of today's cars can out accelerate and out handle ANYTHING from that bygone era...as much as we like to keep those memories these new cars are just so much more, from the factory...WITH A WARRANTY!!!

745HP Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 SVT w/ Ford Racing Exhaust!"

2019 Dodge Hellcat Redeye 797HP- Jay Leno’s Garage"

We are living now in a time that no one who remembers the great muscle cars of the late 60's and early 70's thought would ever comeback. Many of today's cars can out accelerate and out handle ANYTHING from that bygone era...as much as we like to keep those memories these new cars are just so much more, from the factory...WITH A WARRANTY!!!

Yeah but older muscle cars make much more bombastic, macho, roaring noises, lol.

Yeah but older muscle cars make much more bombastic, macho, roaring noises, lol.

Put a pair of cut outs before the catalytic converters on a Hellcat and.....

The new cars are better in many ways but the older ones were fun. One of my favorites.

People who park their cars, walk away and blast their fucking horn to see if their doors are locked need a good ass kicking for their rudeness. That`s a feature that nobody ever needed.

It was a big Caddy and the guy who owned it deserved it. He was, among lots of other distasteful things, a pretentious phony asshole of eminent degree who strutted and otherwise acted like a jackass lording over his realm as a lowlevel manager of us peons but only when no higher-ups were around. When they were, the Jekyll and Hyde idiot did his one-eighty and seemed to assume we wouldn’t notice the complete personality change, I guess. Trust me, a colossal asshole of a guy.

One day, CA starts bragging about his new “used” car, the aforementioned Caddy. Don’t recall the year or model but suspect it was a Fleetwood or whatever their big boy of the day was, just that it was several years old but with very low mileage, which the CA claimed was why it cost so much but never divulged what he’d paid when asked. Anyway, the beast was loaded with everything imaginable including a new state-of-the-art engine doohickey called something to do with 8-6-4, meaning cylinders, and that the car’s primitive - the operative word - computer would automatically shut down anywhere from two to four cylinders while the car cruised along and then refire any or all when the computer sensed the need. In theory anyway.

Next couple of days all we heard about was CAs great NEW car! GMs top of the line make with the most advanced model they’ve ever produced, etc. etc. Talked about it like guys talk about getting laid, ladies too these days. Chicks were even paying him attention when they saw him in it, was but one of many nauseatingly boastful claims of crap about his proud Caddy. All until he was late for work one morning. Car problem. Something to do with the vaunted 8-6-4 feature that started acting up the day before, seemed okay, but now that big heavy boat was reduced to only 4 cylinders, which caused additional mayhem with the tranny (original usage) or something, so it was in the shop being fixed. And fixed and fixed and fixed over the next several weeks of subsequent visits, and additional bills.

Well finally it dawned on CA one day it was time to bite the old bullet and get a car that worked. Dunno how many thousands he got suckered into paying for such a rare, low mileage car or how many more he’d sunk into it, but it was a lot and it couldn’t have happened to a finer guy.

Forum List

Back