Are GOPers and righwtingers really conservatives?

No, the GOP is basically made up of social conservatives and disgruntled and bitter objectivists.

The evangelical, hysterical right have pervaded the the GOP driving it far right, those nutters who hold a shotgun in one hand and a Bible in the other marching with signs asking for birth certificates, they're one step from being like their militia brethern in Idaho and Montana back woods.
Good thing leftists don't stereotype......Much. :rolleyes:

Yea, I'm relieved about that too.

I presume that some people just can't help being assholes. Perhaps they were born stupid? Or had stupid thrust upon them?

Lead by example, Marc. Stop thanking people who name call and pretend you have the moral highground.

:clap2: :clap2:

This is good.

Like I said, I thank those who made a valid point. I've even thanked at least one, IMO far RWer today.

I realize its going to be hard for most of us here to just stop with the insults, as you haven't yourself. I have, but I realize its gonna be harder for most, so I'm not going to not thank someone just because they used a name, if their post was valid, sound, reasonable and I agree with it.

I'm leading by taking responsibility for myself by ME NOT calling names or being unnecessarily mean, demeaning, dismissive or insulting.

This is what I'M doing. Right now.

What about you?

P.S. - Thanks for pointing out me thanking though. Like I said above...this is good. We're getting somewhere.

No, the GOP is basically made up of social conservatives and disgruntled and bitter objectivists.

The evangelical, hysterical right have pervaded the the GOP driving it far right, those nutters who hold a shotgun in one hand and a Bible in the other marching with signs asking for birth certificates, they're one step from being like their militia brethern in Idaho and Montana back woods.

Wingnut express POUTRAGE when leftists do what wingnuts do.

And when you point this out, the wingnuts justify their behavior based on what leftists do. Wingnuts won't take responsibility for their behavior. They think their behavior is caused by what a leftist does

And when you point this out, the wingnuts justify their behavior based on what leftists do. Wingnuts won't take responsibility for their behavior. They think their behavior is caused by what a leftist does

You talk like the left has no wingnuts, sonny. :cuckoo:

Like I said....

Like I said....

No matter how much you deflect with my post....you still talk like the left has no wingnuts, sonny. :cuckoo:

Well... back to the original topic, no, the republicans or the 'right' are not true conservatives. For that matter, from what I can gather from those that claim to be true liberals the democrats are not representative of them either. It was stated earlier in this thread and no one seemed interested in commenting on it. I guess I can assume that we all agree then, neither side represents the political spectrum that it is supposed to. I still find it rather funny that bass calls himself(?) a conservative when I have not seen him defending anything that could remotely be prescribed as a conservative position on this board. I have seen numerous posts by him that are clearly liberal though. This may be a simple misunderstanding if what a true conservative is.
I have been attacked for not truly being a real "conservative" because I don't ride the bandwagon of the far right and the GOP who like to pretend they're conservatives yet they are not true conservatives themselves. True conservatives believe in lower taxes and smaller government that ultimately benefits *ALL* people not just the rich so when GOP Republitards ask for lower taxes and advocate supply side voodoo trickle down economics they're going against what real conservatives stand for. The best example of a true conservative is Colin Powell, someone who didn't mind giving more to all people and not just the rich and elite that fake conservative GOP Republitards stand for.

Unequal taxation is not equality.

the idea of "real" or "true" conservative is bantered around. Since there is not a hard definition anyone can claim to be a conservative just by supporting something in a certain way.

But basically conservatives beleive in independence. If you can't care for yourself, you will be helped. If you can, but refuse, you go hungry until you change your mind. The Constitution is not a tool to be used to cut into independence.

there's more, but I don't feel like standing on my soapbox.
No, truly there is not much more than that. Certainly this balloons into many larger concepts but at the base it is what a true conservative is about: self responsibility and as little intrusion as possible. For me, all that a true conservative believes in should stem from that one simple and basic concept. Not that hard really.

FYI; The gop is right of center and no longer conservative enough for many former members.
If you think the gop is right of you, that puts you in the middle or to the left.
The GOP is now where the Dems were ~25 years ago.

That's a fact.

Here, you wanna know where you stand? and can post it;

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: 4.62 That puts me near center right.
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00 with a touch of libertarian.

The Political Compass - Test

It's been done a few times. But it never gets old. :lol:
That test is rather ridiculous as there are MANY questions on there that have NOTHING to do with your political affiliation or that have no answer in general. I took it anyway though and I guess Ill post the results:
Econ: 2.5
social: -3.75
That does place me in the category that I belong in: libertarian right. However, I dislike the term libertarian in general because it is even more misunderstood than conservative and most people have no idea what libertarian is.

What I find funny or interesting rather, is that Righties always pretend to have always have been on the right side of history on every issue. When we all know that the opposite is true.

They were on the wrong side of history on racism, Jim Crow laws, civil rights, women's rights, child labor laws, you name it...the list goes on, but the minute its a done deal and is accepted by MOST, they act as if they always were on board with it.

How you see it evident is their rampant tendency to re-write history. e.g. Haley Barbour stating how racial strife wasn't "that bad" in his childhood city/town/neighborhood. And is most evident in their argument that the Civil War had absolutely NOTHING to do with slavery. Meanwhile, the truth of the matter is...it was STRICTLY because and/or as a result of slavery.

What I find funny or interesting rather, is that Righties always pretend to have always have been on the right side of history on every issue. When we all know that the opposite is true.

They were on the wrong side of history on racism, Jim Crow laws, civil rights, women's rights, child labor laws, you name it...the list goes on, but the minute its a done deal and is accepted by MOST, they act as if they always were on board with it.

How you see it evident is their rampant tendency to re-write history. e.g. Haley Barbour stating how racial strife wasn't "that bad" in his childhood city/town/neighborhood. And is most evident in their argument that the Civil War had absolutely NOTHING to do with slavery. Meanwhile, the truth of the matter is...it was STRICTLY because and/or as a result of slavery.

You left a few revisions out

1) Being opposed to affirmative action is not rightwing
2) Being opposed to the federal reserve is not rightwing
3) Being opposed to the income tax is not rightwing

I could go on (and on and on and on and on...

True conservatives would never support spending millions of taxpayer dollars funding non-productive, useless wars while simultaneously criticizing all efforts to take care of the poor and disadvantaged as giving out "handouts" to lazy people, what the hell have all these countries we waste taxpayer dollars on under the guise of "fighting the war against terror" , doing for us? The Republitards and GOp love to spend, spend and spend some more.

Wait.

What?

We have to ignore everything you said before you decided to try and be less of a partisan hack.

We have to ignore the past dishonesty from the Democrats.

But you get to drag up history as a stick to beat the right wing of today.

Really? Does that add up to bullshit or honesty to you? Because, to my math, it adds up to one rule for you and another to those on the opposite side of the political fence.

Shame on you, again, Marc.

True conservatives would never support spending millions of taxpayer dollars funding non-productive, useless wars while simultaneously criticizing all efforts to take care of the poor and disadvantaged as giving out "handouts" to lazy people, what the hell have all these countries we waste taxpayer dollars on under the guise of "fighting the war against terror" , doing for us? The Republitards and GOp love to spend, spend and spend some more.

True conservatives wouldn't cut and run from shit that we got ourselves into, because it is morally reprehensible to abandon a country that we fought, without helping them to secure their future. Because we care about human beings - even if they aren't Americans.

True conservatives don't believe that the federal government should be encouraging a 'European' attitude towards welfare. Look at the damage that uncontrolled welfare has done to them. Real conservatives want to find real local solutions to local problems - and helping those less fortunate to stand on their own feet instead of living off the hand outs of others. Where is the self respect in having everything handed to you on a plate? Do you not care enough about people to help them to achieve their own value?

Engage your brain - stop believing the bullshit that the left spin you.

take the test, see where you ideals put you.

The Political Compass - Test

It aint perfect, but it is very close.

True conservatives wouldn't cut and run from shit that we got ourselves into, because it is morally reprehensible to abandon a country that we fought, without helping them to secure their future. Because we care about human beings - even if they aren't Americans.

True conservatives would have *NEVER* gotten us into that situation in Iraq and Afghanistan in the first place, ten years later and many lives lost and what have we really accomplished in the war against terrorism? The only one who benefited were the greedy capitalists who's companies have profited.

True conservatives don't believe that the federal government should be encouraging a 'European' attitude towards welfare. Look at the damage that uncontrolled welfare has done to them. Real conservatives want to find real local solutions to local problems - and helping those less fortunate to stand on their own feet instead of living off the hand outs of others. Where is the self respect in having everything handed to you on a plate? Do you not care enough about people to help them to achieve their own value?

Working to eliminate poverty and joblessness is not encouraging "European" style welfare, you're very misinformed about what goes on in Europe, at least they're not dumb enough to waste their taxpayer dollars fighting unprofitable wars, and why should they when they have the United States being their dummy to do it for them?

True conservatives would have *NEVER* gotten us into that situation in Iraq and Afghanistan in the first place, ten years later and many lives lost and what have we really accomplished in the war against terrorism? The only one who benefited were the greedy capitalists who's companies have profited.

Working to eliminate poverty and joblessness is not encouraging "European" style welfare, you're very misinformed about what goes on in Europe, at least they're not dumb enough to waste their taxpayer dollars fighting unprofitable wars, and why should they when they have the United States being their dummy to do it for them?

I don't disagree on Iraq. We should have done it right first time around. But we did not. And we went back. Now we are there. We solve nothing by arguing what we should have done. We have to solve the situation that exists not the one we want to exist.

I now exactly how the welfare system works in the UK. I know that if you don't work, the government pays your rent, gives you benefits (cash) and the rest of the country pays for your medical expenses. If you have children, you get benefits for each child. People who have never worked a day in their lives live a damned sight better that than many people who work every day. I know that, in the UK, there are thousands of families who have never worked, their kids don't work, their grandkids don't work. I know that there are thousands who see work as something that other people do. They don't feel like they have to work. Because the government provides for them. And I know they see nothing wrong with it.

In short, Charlie, if you have a government that hands out constantly, you remove the motivation for people to help themselves. I don't want anyone to starve. Nor to I want them to suffer. But.... if you want an example of what happens with unlimited welfare, look at the UK. People flock to the UK from all over Europe, and the rest of the world... because of it's notoriously lax benefits system. It is only recently that they have realized the mistake they made with an overly generous welfare system. And now, they are using a 'welfare to work' system. And it about time.

I don't disagree on Iraq. We should have done it right first time around. But we did not. And we went back. Now we are there. We solve nothing by arguing what we should have done. We have to solve the situation that exists not the one we want to exist.

I now exactly how the welfare system works in the UK. I know that if you don't work, the government pays your rent, gives you benefits (cash) and the rest of the country pays for your medical expenses. If you have children, you get benefits for each child. People who have never worked a day in their lives live a damned sight better that than many people who work every day. I know that, in the UK, there are thousands of families who have never worked, their kids don't work, their grandkids don't work. I know that there are thousands who see work as something that other people do. They don't feel like they have to work. Because the government provides for them. And I know they see nothing wrong with it.

In short, Charlie, if you have a government that hands out constantly, you remove the motivation for people to help themselves. I don't want anyone to starve. Nor to I want them to suffer. But.... if you want an example of what happens with unlimited welfare, look at the UK. People flock to the UK from all over Europe, and the rest of the world... because of it's notoriously lax benefits system. It is only recently that they have realized the mistake they made with an overly generous welfare system. And now, they are using a 'welfare to work' system. And it about time.

Its fiscally irresponsible and hypocritical to criticize spending at home while spending enormous sums of taxpayer dollars on foreign wars and its un-American to let our own citizens have increased poverty and unemployment while spending tax payer dollars abroad to stop poverty and unemployment true conservatives always put America and Americans first.

I have been attacked for not truly being a real "conservative" because I don't ride the bandwagon of the far right and the GOP who like to pretend they're conservatives yet they are not true conservatives themselves. True conservatives believe in lower taxes and smaller government that ultimately benefits *ALL* people not just the rich so when GOP Republitards ask for lower taxes and advocate supply side voodoo trickle down economics they're going against what real conservatives stand for. The best example of a true conservative is Colin Powell, someone who didn't mind giving more to all people and not just the rich and elite that fake conservative GOP Republitards stand for.

This might shock you, Charlie, but I have - on this board - stated on more than one occasion, that I Powell would be my candidate of choice.

I question your 'conservative' values, because you demonstrate none. That's all. I'm not on any bandwagon.... I support the liberals on the board when I agree with them. I don't call Democrats anything other than Democrats. I don't call Republicans anything other than Republicans. I don't call those that support the TEA Parties anything other than TEA Partiers. It is a pity that you cannot show the same respect for parties you disagree with.

Because I've seen you bitch and whine and call names at anyone on the right. But never on the left. I have seen the same thing with Jake. And with Madeline. That's why I say you are not conservatives. If you're a conservative, why do you call other conservatives names but never anyone on the left?

I support conservative issues just not the crap that the GOP calls conservative which is just radical rubbish. You are *NOT* a true conservative since you support the Tea Party which is far right.

shut up legion

Also, I openly disagree with many of my fellow Lefties on religion and on matters of homosexuality. However, I don't get attacked or "bitched it" by my fellow Lefties for any particular subject, because we do not operate that way. We realize that we're all individuals with common goals and aspirations and that its OK to disagree with on another from time to time.

The fact that your fellow Righties feel the need to "bitch at you" whenever you divulge from the day's talking point, to me, speaks volumes about that side of the fence.

the thing that gets me Marc is when a Jerk like Dean will throw a blanket over ALL Conservatives/Republicans only a few on the left call him on it....like Ez or Sallow....the rest of you guys say he is way to Left and kinda out of there but never tell him that.....you just let him talk dis-honest Bullshit......and as far as im concerned he is the worst of the lefties here.....Pubis In. and Namvet were the worst on the Right....this guy named Revere seems to be taking their spots.....
Fair enough, let's do this. Going forward you point out when you see it going on. There's no feasible or logical way to backtrack and check who did what and when. However, going forward we can point it out as it goes on.

When you see some "Far Radical Left Wing" posting going on and me supporting it and perhaps say, bashing a rightie for their RW radical extremism while giving a pass to my fellow Leftie's radical positions, please point it out and we'll go from there.

I'll tell you what I've observed though. It seems that many of the Far RWers on this board, don't argue what us Lefties say, but what they have ascribed to our beliefs.

For instance, I'll ask a question in a thread or OP like "Should We Start Testing People's Mental Capacity Before Allowing Them To Own Guns"

And IMMEDIATELY some Far RW radical extremist will chime in something like, "NO! We don't believe in abolishing the 2nd amendment!"

It's like that BS question..."Did you stop beating your wife?" No answer is good, because its based on a false premise...then they argue from their false premise onward, not what we said, but what they want us to have said, or believe we have said for those that are slightly more honest in their debates.

Will you call that out when you see it too?

Marc having a FAR Right or Left position is not the problem....its what the poster says afterwards.....for instance Dean will make a valid point....and then start spouting his dis-honest bullshit relating to the point he made.....like when he says Republicans want to abolish education and just teach Religion......Republicans dont believe in Science.....Republicans want all Gays thrown in Prison....im sure many of the Christian Right would agree with Dean.... Dean quotes Christian Righties or the Farther Right and then Blankets everyone with their Bullshit.....and then will deny he said it....and will dance around it or dance to another thread.....and on the other side of the coin, Pubes and Namvet were the same way....blaming Liberalism for all the ills of the land....thats why i get on Dean all the time,i can care less if he is a far left person.....i just want him to start admitting that not all Republicans believe the shit he says.....but he did say.....there are no Moderate or Liberal Republicans.....they are all the same.....so if Pat Robertson says it.....then they ALL must believe it......

This might shock you, Charlie, but I have - on this board - stated on more than one occasion, that I Powell would be my candidate of choice.

I question your 'conservative' values, because you demonstrate none. That's all. I'm not on any bandwagon.... I support the liberals on the board when I agree with them. I don't call Democrats anything other than Democrats. I don't call Republicans anything other than Republicans. I don't call those that support the TEA Parties anything other than TEA Partiers. It is a pity that you cannot show the same respect for parties you disagree with.

Because I've seen you bitch and whine and call names at anyone on the right. But never on the left. I have seen the same thing with Jake. And with Madeline. That's why I say you are not conservatives. If you're a conservative, why do you call other conservatives names but never anyone on the left?

I support conservative issues just not the crap that the GOP calls conservative which is just radical rubbish. You are *NOT* a true conservative since you support the Tea Party which is far right.

shut up legion

Monkey troll, go back to boring JPP and give your buttbuddy admins a reach around.

Forum List

Back