Ark of the Covenant

You can argue that Exodus is a myth or that Moses as a prince of Egypt was illiterate.. Which is it?
Likely both. It's not an either/or proposition. We haven't even gotten to the absurdities of the Exodus myth, or of the hilariously magical idea of god poofing stone tablets into existence, or of Moses transporting hundreds of the ancient torah cuneiform stone tablets down a mountain and that weighed hundreds of pounds each.

What we find is that, as we work our way through these silly myths start to finish, we have to make huge, specious leaps of faith at nearly every turn that defy every bit of knowledge we have of the natural world and of ancient history.

So one is left to admit these myths are obviously false or that one has to employ strong faith and ignore evidence to believe them.

So a discussion based on facts and evidence is a dog and pony show.
P
Ok. Where is it? What is it? Does it still exist or did it disintegrate?
Rational answer? Never existed, neither did the ten commandment tablets. Even if the other tales of Moses and his flock were true, they were almost certainly, to a man, illiterate. Written language didn't even really exist in that area of the world, as far as we can tell. If it did, only a very few people could write or read it. So the idea that god wrote rules on stone tablets and gifted them to a group of illiterate people is absurd on its face.
They passed down history, knowledge, wisdom, laws, etc orally from generation to generation. These were not dumb people. They were heads and shoulders above their contemporaries when it came to morals and passing down information from generation to generation.

The Exodus is considered a myth... not history. Egypt controlled Sinai and Canaan at the time and the Israelites couldn't remember the name of the Pharaoh. But, its a great story.

The Jewish scholars and rabbis announced that Exodus was a myth over 20 years ago now.

The Biblical Exodus Story Is Fiction | HuffPost
As it turns out, well-known Jewish commentator and author Rabbi David Wolpe has also known about the Exodus Myth. In his article, "Did the Exodus Really Happen?" he mentions that other rabbis wanted him to keep the fiction of the Exodus story on the down-low. The basic story of the Exodus from Egypt (extracting supernatural elements) was touted to me as one of the most historical aspects of the Bible, …

Estimated Reading Time: 4 mins
Furor over L.A. rabbi's reading of Exodus - Jewish ...
In three sermons at the beginning and end of Passover, Wolpe examined current research in biblical archaeology and concluded that “virtually every modern archaeologist who has investigated the...

Feel free to believe that. I'm inclined to agree with Leo Hochhauser. Something happened. Was it exactly as described? Probably not. Did nothing happen? Probably not.

Anyway....I guess you like dog and pony shows, since you in a thread discussing stuff you think is whinney and arf?
And I guess you like hearing about how your magical beliefs are silly and childish, since you go on anonymous message boards and vomit them all over.

Last edited:
Oral history
Remember when we learned in grade school how unreliable that is, by playing the telephone game? These guys must have all been sick, that day.
Which is why the original meanings were lost through time. We aren't getting the dialogue that ancient man had after telling these accounts. But that doesn't mean we have to be completely idiotic in trying to extract the original meaning. That's why I find the accounts of the Bible so fascinating.

Many heroic figures in antiquity were found in baskets on the Nile.
haha, yeah. They all seemed to have supernatural abilities, too. Seems legit. I wonder why it never happens anymore? I mean... all these cell phones...not one single damn miracle or magic basketbaby superhero to be found. It's almost as if the iron age mythology dreamed up by ignorant, superstitious people isn't actually true or something.

has anyone ventured what is the source for what is written in the christian bible for their version they claim are the 10 commandments ... destroyed by moses.

However, the ability to read and write as relegated to a tiny percentage of the population – the sole purview of priests, scribes, and select administrators.
And they did it on cuneiform tablets, weighing hundreds of pounds each, when they wanted to send official messages over distance. But somehow the Moses flock that couldn't find their way out of a relatively postage stamp-sized piece of the desert for 40 years managed to transport hundreds of them hundreds of miles.

Good grief, how can rational adults believe this nonsense?

Moses grew up and was educated in Egypt in a quite privileged environment so the claim he was illiterate is almost certainly false.
What’s false is the myth that Moses grew up and was educated in Egypt in a quite privileged environment.

What I find most interesting about many of your posts is how you tend to look for reasons to discredit accounts through exception.

has anyone ventured what is the source for what is written in the christian bible for their version they claim are the 10 commandments ... destroyed by moses.
Sure, just the minds of ignorant, superstitious people making our first and worst attempts at morality and ethics.

haha, yeah. They all seemed to have supernatural abilities, too. Seems legit. I wonder why it never happens anymore? I mean... all these cell phones...not one single damn miracle or magic basketbaby superhero to be found. It's almost as if the iron age mythology dreamed up by ignorant, superstitious people isn't actually true or something.
I was always surprised how so many in the early bible, such as Noah, lived for 400 years.
That was before refrigeration, food safety, antibiotics or modern medicine.

Moses grew up and was educated in Egypt in a quite privileged environment so the claim he was illiterate is almost certainly false.
What’s false is the myth that Moses grew up and was educated in Egypt in a quite privileged environment.

Heroic figures which were used as a basis for biblical myths – such as the Exodus myth.

The Epic of Gilgamesh being another example, the basis for the flood myth – the flooding of the Tigris and Euphrates was the most powerful and feared force known to the Fertile Crescent, a force perceived to be capable of destroying the entire world.

I was always surprised how so many in the early bible, such as Noah, lived for 400 years.
That was before refrigeration, food safety, antibiotics or modern medicine.
Now watch the same people who have been claiming the story of Moses being raised in the Pharaoh's court as historical fact come along and tell us the Bible isn't meant to be a reliable historical text. Grab something close, so you don't get dizzy and pass out.

What I find most interesting about many of your posts is how you tend to look for reasons to discredit accounts through exception.

The stories have value, but not as history or science. I think more people would stick around the church if they weren't expected to park their brains at the door.

haha, yeah. They all seemed to have supernatural abilities, too. Seems legit. I wonder why it never happens anymore?
spirituality through the desert religions is dead ... revival would require herculean transformation humanity may no longer be capable of ... hopefully the collapse of nature will not be the final result as well of humanities mindless indiscretion.

Forum List

Back