atheist to pass out materials at Florida high schools

Atheists win right to pass out materials at Florida high schools - Washington Times

If the Christians get to do it, then so should we. That was the winning argument of atheists who fought for access to several Florida high schools to distribute group documents — same as evangelicals did with Bibles in January.

“We want to close the door to religion in schools, not open it to Freethought,” said David Williamson, an organizer with the Central Florida Freethought Community, the Orlando Sentinel reported. “[But] if they’re going to have a religious discussion on campus, we need to be a part of it.”

Read more: Atheists win right to pass out materials at Florida high schools - Washington Times
Follow us: [MENTION=39892]Was[/MENTION]htimes on Twitter

fair is fair dont you think?

Instead of doing this, I think someone should be objecting to anything to do with religion happening in public schools. It is against separation of church and state.

Instead of 'fair is fair' it should be 'two wrongs don't make a right.'

We want to close the door to religion in schools, not open it to Freethought So true! This is exactly what active atheists want to do. They do not want freedom of thought. They want only their thoughts.

So you are going to pretend you guys are okay with Muslims going into schools and spreading their religion? How about Scientoligist?

The point isn't to stifle anything. It's a school. A place of learning for our kids. If you want to stand on the street and preach all day long I couldn't care less. But schools are not the place for any of this.

Much of what Muslims believe is found in the Old and New Testament. They just do not hold to all of it. Mahamad did some picking and choosing and adding. But frankly I believe that if all the cards were placed on the table, Scientology would appear lame and the Quran would pale in comparison to what the Bible has to say --- at its fifth grade reading level --- I might add (King James or not). A school is a place to teach respect for study and investigation and figuring out answers to problems, and questioning values, It should not be a place of unmitigated bordom and unnaturally select segragated thought. And unfortunately, this is what secular humanists have made of much of public education.

For a group that consist of roughly 9% of the population (and a lot less than that in many states) you people like to hand us a lot of credit/blame.

Atheists win right to pass out materials at Florida high schools - Washington Times

If the Christians get to do it, then so should we. That was the winning argument of atheists who fought for access to several Florida high schools to distribute group documents — same as evangelicals did with Bibles in January.

“We want to close the door to religion in schools, not open it to Freethought,” said David Williamson, an organizer with the Central Florida Freethought Community, the Orlando Sentinel reported. “[But] if they’re going to have a religious discussion on campus, we need to be a part of it.”

Read more: Atheists win right to pass out materials at Florida high schools - Washington Times

Instead of doing this, I think someone should be objecting to anything to do with religion happening in public schools. It is against separation of church and state.

and this is how you do that.

they fought in court for the right to do the same thing christians had been allowed to do by a government gone insane

Theophobes promoting theophobia. How quaint.

Who cares?

Interesting that atheism is being treated like a religion, though.

You hate athiests huh?

What's your point? You hate Christians. Why would you come down so hard on CJ for being no different than you? Not that I believe he hates atheists, but it is and has been evident for a very long time that you hate Christians as well as your fellow Americans.

Immie

and you are a liar.

I have never hated christians.

I do however hate that so many of you think this is a christain nation.

we are a nation of many beliefs and the founders designed it that way

A N.J. teacher was fired because he opened a Bible because a student asked him about a passage. Double standard between Christianity and "no-god" radicalism?

A N.J. teacher was fired because he opened a Bible because a student asked him about a passage. Double standard between Christianity and "no-god" radicalism?

Give us a link to the whole story. Sounds interesting.

they fought in court for the right to do the same thing christians had been allowed to do by a government gone insane

So making bibles available from a table without interaction of the students to those that wanted them (demonstrated by the fact that they had to go up and get one themselves) at the complete expense and time of the group without disrupting the institution in any way shape or form is now insane?

So making bibles available from a table without interaction of the students to those that wanted them (demonstrated by the fact that they had to go up and get one themselves) at the complete expense and time of the group without disrupting the institution in any way shape or form is now insane?

Would you feel the same if they were offering Qur'an's? Or, some kind of book explaining the beliefs of Wicca? Or, even something from the Church of Elvis?

Would you feel the same if they were offering Qur'an's? Or, some kind of book explaining the beliefs of Wicca? Or, even something from the Church of Elvis?

Absolutely.

You have been reading my posts where I already stated that right? Again, like the other thread, you seem to be confusing me with others here that can’t be consistent. I have never advocated for anything different.

So you are going to pretend you guys are okay with Muslims going into schools and spreading their religion? How about Scientoligist?

The point isn't to stifle anything. It's a school. A place of learning for our kids. If you want to stand on the street and preach all day long I couldn't care less. But schools are not the place for any of this.

Much of what Muslims believe is found in the Old and New Testament. They just do not hold to all of it. Mahamad did some picking and choosing and adding. But frankly I believe that if all the cards were placed on the table, Scientology would appear lame and the Quran would pale in comparison to what the Bible has to say --- at its fifth grade reading level --- I might add (King James or not). A school is a place to teach respect for study and investigation and figuring out answers to problems, and questioning values, It should not be a place of unmitigated bordom and unnaturally select segragated thought. And unfortunately, this is what secular humanists have made of much of public education.

Nor should it be a place of religious instruction. That should occur in the home and in churches, not the school house.

Actually, I do agree with you on that point. HOWEVER, religious imput is not religious instruction. An example: A teacher should be able to ask her class of students, "In the Old Testament, in the book of Proverbs it reads: 'Children obey your parents that your days might be lengthened.' What do you imagine that to mean?" That is not religious instruction, it is a question to engage children to think for themselves about the world around them and consider personal responcibility. :clap2:

You people need to realize that many many people dont believe the archaic human beliefs and instead look to sceince to explain the world.

sceince has a much better record of truth than religion does

And then there are those, like you, who turn to pot and consider the roach clip a species.

Religion - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

re·li·gion
noun \ri-ˈli-jən\

Definition of RELIGION

a: the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion>

b (1): the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2): commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance

: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices

archaic: scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness

: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

you people need to open your minds

The way you have opened your ass?

There is a difference between religious freedom (including the right to be an atheist) and theist/atheist competition. Let's not fool ourselves, the latter is what is really happening.

You hate athiests huh?

What's your point? You hate Christians. Why would you come down so hard on CJ for being no different than you? Not that I believe he hates atheists, but it is and has been evident for a very long time that you hate Christians as well as your fellow Americans.

Immie

and you are a liar.

I have never hated christians.

I do however hate that so many of you think this is a christain nation.

we are a nation of many beliefs and the founders designed it that way

One more lie coming off of your fingertips. Do you ever stop telling lies? You're hatred for both Christians and right wingers is evident in every single post you make all 75,406 you have made on this site and the hundred thousand or more on other sites you and I have suffered with each other through.

Immie

Atheist pamphlet:

We are atheists, we believe in NOTHING!

The earth, the universe and life just "magically" happened.

That's it.

What do you have that is better?

It sure is if you dont allow any other belief to do the exact same.

why did the athiests have to FIGHT in court to be allowed to do what the christians were allowed to do with out being hasseled?

why did the athiests have to FIGHT in court to be allowed to do what the christians were allowed to do with out being hasseled?

Point taken.

I thought you were decrying the fact that the bibles were available, not that the atheists were denied the same right in the beginning.

Atheist pamphlet:

We are atheists, we believe in NOTHING!

The earth, the universe and life just "magically" happened.

That's it.

What do you have that is better?

I'm not an atheist, but I at least have the fundamental understanding that atheism is not the belief in nothing. That's nihilism.

Last edited:

So what are they passing out. Little postcards that say " Don't believe in God " ? :lol:

Forum List

Back