Attorney General William Barr discloses his "principle conclusions"

Sandy Shanks

Gold Member
Jul 10, 2018
Evidence lacking for obstruction of justice: Barr and Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein made the determination that the evidence was "not sufficient" to support a prosecution of the President for obstruction of justice.

Trump fired Director of the FBI, James Comey, who was investigating Russian interference in our Presidential election. Trump was instrumental in the firing of acting Director of the FBI, Andrew McCabe, who resumed the Russian investigation after Trump fired Comey.

"I was going to fire Comey knowing there was no good time to do it. And in fact, when I decided to just do it, I said to myself -- I said, you know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made-up story. It's an excuse by the Democrats for having lost an election that they should've won," Trump told Lester Holt in a television interview in May 2017.

Trump told Holt he fired Comey because of the Russian investigation!

636300901670745689-AP-United-States-Russia.jpg

“I just fired the head of the F.B.I. He was crazy, a real nut job,” Trump told Russia’s foreign minister, Sergey V. Lavrov, and the Russian ambassador to the United States, Sergey I. Kislyak, in the Oval Office, .“I faced great pressure because of Russia. That’s taken off.”

Trump added, “I’m not under investigation.”

Trump told the Russians that he fired Comey because of the Russian investigation!

The fact that Trump's appointee, William Barr, found no evidence of obstruction of justice is very interesting. Now we know why Trump chose Barr. Barr is a strong proponent of the unitary executive.

Constitutional Law Prof Blog: William Barr's Unitary Executive

• Banned
No collusion: Mueller did not find Donald Trump's campaign or associates conspired with Russia, Barr wrote.

Jun 3, 2016, at 10:36 AM, Rob Goldstone wrote:

The Crown prosecutor of Russia met with his father Aras this morning and in their meeting offered to provide the Trump campaign with some official documents and information that would incriminate Hillary and her dealings with Russia and would be very useful to your father.

This is obviously very high level and sensitive information but is part of Russia and its government's support for Mr. Trump - helped along by Aras and Emin.

Best
Rob Goldstone

Jun 3, 2016, at 10:53, Donald Trump Jr. wrote:

Thanks Rob I appreciate that. I am on the road at the moment but perhaps I just speak to Emin first. Seems we have some time and if it's what you say I love it especially later in the summer. Could we do a call first thing next week when I am back?

Best,
Don

Several email exchanges took place, then this one.

Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 11:18 AM
To: Donald Trump Jr.
Subject: Re: Russia - Clinton - private and confidential

They can't do today as she [Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya] hasn't landed yet from Moscow 4pm is great tomorrow.

Best,
Rob

Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 12:03 PM
To: Jared Kushner; Paul Manafort
Subject: FW: Russia - Clinton - private and confidential

Meeting got moved to 4 tomorrow at my offices.

Best,
Don

On June 9, 2016, Trump's son, Trump's son-in-law, and Trump's campaign manager met with four Russian operatives representing the Russian government at Trump's home, Trump Tower. Later, the micromanaging boss of the Trump Presidential Campaign, Trump, claimed not to know a thing about it.

Three men attempted to rob a bank, but they failed and didn't get any money. They got caught. Because they didn't get any money, the attorney general decided not to prosecute.

The fact that Trump's appointee, William Barr, found no evidence of obstruction of justice is very interesting. Now we know why Trump chose Barr. Barr is a strong proponent of the unitary executive.

More will be said about the Mueller report ... much more.

No collusion: Mueller did not find Donald Trump's campaign or associates conspired with Russia, Barr wrote.

The Crown prosecutor of Russia met with his father Aras this morning and in their meeting offered to provide the Trump campaign with some official documents and information that would incriminate Hillary and her dealings with Russia and would be very useful to your father.

This is obviously very high level and sensitive information but is part of Russia and its government's support for Mr. Trump - helped along by Aras and Emin.

Best
Rob Goldstone

Thanks Rob I appreciate that. I am on the road at the moment but perhaps I just speak to Emin first. Seems we have some time and if it's what you say I love it especially later in the summer. Could we do a call first thing next week when I am back?

Best,
Don

They can't do today as she [Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya] hasn't landed yet from Moscow 4pm is great tomorrow.

Best,
Rob

Best,
Don

On June 9, 2016, Trump's son, Trump's son-in-law, and Trump's campaign manager met with four Russian operatives representing the Russian government at Trump's home, Trump Tower. Later, the micromanaging boss of the Trump Presidential Campaign, Trump, claimed not to know a thing about it.

Three men attempted to rob a bank, but they failed and didn't get any money. They got caught. Because they didn't get any money, the attorney general decided not to prosecute.

Only the left will continue to find a Russian in the Closet when hey were really in the Dems campaign to Subvert our democracy using the FBI, DOJ and NSA, CIA to try and steal an Election.

We'll know better when we see the actual report and NOT what Barr says it says

It seems like a fair enough assessment to me. People are found "not guilty for lack of evidence" all the time. It doesn't mean they're innocent. I'm not sure a verdict of "innocent" exists in the legal system. You're either found guilty, or not guilty. Barr himself has said that the report doesn't exonerate the President. While he is a shill for Trump, he seems to be taking a realistic stance on the outcome.

It seems like a fair enough assessment to me. People are found "not guilty for lack of evidence" all the time. It doesn't mean they're innocent. I'm not sure a verdict of "innocent" exists in the legal system. You're either found guilty, or not guilty. Barr himself has said that the report doesn't exonerate the President. While he is a shill for Trump, he seems to be taking a realistic stance on the outcome.

We deserve a little more detail. Barr's 4 pages isn't enough.

Because you need to apply your own expertise?

I'm all for releasing the full report, but it doesn't change the fact that there wasn't enough evidence to convict the President of a crime. Maybe when the report is released in it's entirety we'll see more damning evidence, but apparently Mueller saw nothing sufficient to charge the President with.

I'm all for releasing the full report, but it doesn't change the fact that there wasn't enough evidence to convict the President of a crime. Maybe when the report is released in it's entirety we'll see more damning evidence, but apparently Mueller saw nothing sufficient to charge the President with.

Didn't say there wasn't enough evidence to convict him for a crime. It said he didn't make that determination. Two different things. We don't even know if that is what Mueller said, anyway. It's just what Barr said he said.

Barr must not be trying to smooth things over to protect the deep state from the majority of American men who now knows this was a high treason crime by the whole deep state

Barr must now charge mueller with high treason

Why??

He was given free reign to go after any potential crime

Since he did only crimes connected to trump ... That proves he was part of the coup against the American voter

If Barr does not charge mueller with high treason. Trump must fire him and replace with a real AG

This is high treason by the whole deep state !!

The men now knows this and will use their real power to force these high treason criminals to justice !!

Best
Rob Goldstone

Best,
Don

Best,
Rob

Best,
Don

The whole investigation was a shame from beginning to end. Just a show. They threw a few people under the bus to make it look good, that's all.

Trump fired two FBI directors who were investigating the Russian intervention into our Presidential election. Mueller was appointed because of the firing of Comey.

Yet, Barr concluded there was no evidence of obstruction of justice.

That is not so strange when one considers these factors.

Barr authored a memo saying he thought the obstruction investigation was "fatally misconceived."

Barr has not shied away from defending Trump's firing of Comey, but the June 8 memo -- first reported by The Wall Street Journal and provided to lawmakers late Wednesday -- offers a detailed analysis of one of the most consequential episodes of Trump's presidency, concluding that while he's "in the dark about many facts," Mueller's obstruction inquiry was "fatally misconceived." Barr adds that Trump asking Comey to let go of the investigation into former national security adviser Michael Flynn and later firing Comey were within his powers as head of the executive branch.

Trump's pick for attorney general warns Mueller's obstruction inquiry 'fatally misconceived' in memo to DOJ - CNNPolitics

This was written in June 2018.

This is what William Barr thinks about congressional interference with executive-branch operations and the "unitary executive." He describes his views in his 1989 memo.

Barr is a strong believer in the unitary executive. According to the unitary executive theory, since the Constitution assigns the president all of “the executive power”, he can set aside laws that attempt to limit his power over national security. This is an enormous power: critics charge that it effectively places the president above the law.

Barr's memo outlines these "Common Legislative Encroachments On Executive Branch Authority":

• Interference with the President's Appointment Power, including incompatibility and ineligibility issues (e.g., appointing members of Congress to executive-branch commissions that have more than advisory roles), directing the president to appoint from an approved list of candidates, and delegations of authority to positions outside the executive branch (e.g., qui tam statutes).
  • The creation of hybrid commissions that reach into executive authority.
  • Attempts to constraint the president's "removal power."
  • "Micromanagement of the Executive Branch," by mandating certain executive processes and bureaucratic organization.
  • "Attempts to Gain Access to Sensitive Executive Branch Information."
  • Legislative vetoes (even after Chadha).
  • Requirements that executive officials submit legislation to Congress.
  • Restrictions on the president's recess appointment power.

Is there any doubt that Barr would rule in favor of the unitary executive?

In view of Barr's preconceived notions about the Mueller report, in view of a DOJ rule that a sitting President cannot be indicted, in view of Barr's dogma of looking at the issues through the lens of a prosecutor looking to prove a crime without a shadow of a doubt, the Mueller report has little to do with criminal law.

This renders Barr's "principled conclusions" meaningless. This isn't about criminal law. This is about a political process -- impeachment. Barr does not decide what are impeachable offenses. The House does.

So, while Trump is crowing about his victory over the Democrats, there are two burning questions he has to answer.

Will his DOJ turn over everything to Congress to determine if there are impeachable offenses?

87% of Americans want to see the Mueller report, including 80% Republicans. With the exception of confidential information and grand jury testimony, will the Trump administration allow Americans to see the Mueller report as it pertains to the Trump campaign and Trump himself? We paid for it. We want to see it. Simply placing it in a file cabinet somewhere is an issue that will not be forgotten by Americans.

If the Trump administration doesn't hand over the Mueller report, Americans will always wonder what he is hiding. They will take that question with them when they enter the voting booth in 2020, along with another question.

Why in the hell should we accept the biased, preconceived views in a four-page summary by Trump's attorney general?

When the Mueller report is turned over to Congress and the public, that is when the real work will begin.

In view of Barr's preconceived notions about the Mueller report, in view of a DOJ rule that a sitting President cannot be indicted, in view of Barr's dogma of looking at the issues through the lens of a prosecutor looking to prove a crime without a shadow of a doubt, the Mueller report has little to do with criminal law.

This renders Barr's "principled conclusions" meaningless. This isn't about criminal law. This is about a political process -- impeachment. Barr does not decide what are impeachable offenses. The House does.

So, while Trump is crowing about his victory over the Democrats, there are two burning questions he has to answer.

Will his DOJ turn over everything to Congress to determine if there are impeachable offenses?

87% of Americans want to see the Mueller report, including 80% Republicans. With the exception of confidential information and grand jury testimony, will the Trump administration allow Americans to see the Mueller report as it pertains to the Trump campaign and Trump himself? We paid for it. We want to see it. Simply placing it in a file cabinet somewhere is an issue that will not be forgotten by Americans.

If the Trump administration doesn't hand over the Mueller report, Americans will always wonder what he is hiding. They will take that question with them when they enter the voting booth in 2020, along with another question.

Why in the hell should we accept the biased, preconceived views in a four-page summary by Trump's attorney general?

When the Mueller report is turned over to Congress and the public, that is when the real work will begin.

Trump has called on House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff to resign in an early morning tweet. Trump’s tweet read: “Congressman Adam Schiff, who spent two years knowingly and unlawfully lying and leaking, should be forced to resign from Congress!”

Republicans on the House Intelligence Committee called on Chairman Adam Schiff to resign Thursday, accusing the California Democrat of weaving a "demonstrably false" narrative of collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia and "undermining" the credibility of the panel.

Republican Rep. Mike Conaway read a letter arguing Schiff has been "at the center of a well-orchestrated media campaign claiming, among other things, the Trump campaign colluded with the Russian government."

"Your willingness to continue to promote a demonstrably false narrative is alarming," said the letter read by Conaway. "The findings of the Special Counsel conclusively refute your past and present assertions and have exposed you as having abused your position to knowingly promote false information, having damaged the integrity of this Committee, and undermined faith in U.S. government institutions."

That is a false statement. The findings of the extremely biased Trump appointee, William Barr, reached different conclusions about collaboration with the Russian government in a four-page summary, not the Special Counsel's 300+ page report. Schiff responded by providing a litany of known and controversial interactions between the Trump campaign and Russia — including Donald Trump Jr.'s involvement in the Trump Tower meeting along with Jared Kushner and Trump's campaign chairman. In addition, he described Paul Manafort's sharing of polling data with a Russian associate.

I cannot believe the stupidity of the Trump Republicans. They are apparently following Trump's lead, and it is sheer insanity.

This was done purely for political reasons that defy all logic, and there is no possible way Trump Republicans on the committee will persuade Schiff to resign.

But what did it do? Trump Republicans are virtually admitting Trump is guilty of collaboration with Russia, conspiracy, and obstruction of justice. They virtually admitted they want to shut down Schiff's investigation because of what he will find. Like Trump himself, they are making unsubstantiated accusations and lies.

This is sheer stupidity at its best.

Forum List

Back