Bernie Sanders: Felons Should Be Able To Vote While In Prison

If a member of Congress can vote on legislation from a jail cell, why can't a citizen vote on legislators from a jail cell?
Each house of Congress makes its own rules for what its members can and can't do, but the rights of other citizens are decided differently. We need to know: does Sanders have pen pals in prison?

Stay on topic.
I am on topic: Congress makes its own rules for its members and these rules have nothing to do with what other citizens have rights to.

But seriously, why is Sanders chasing the prison vote?
Chasing the prison vote? Give me a fucking break! He is advocating for the rights of American. Prisoners, regardless of what they have done, are still Americans. Oh, and remember , they are disproportionately people of color - which goes a long way in explain the rights aversion to allowing them to vote.
Citizenship has its responsibilities. One of them is not being a common criminal and a piece of shit in general.

Sanders just crossed the line into ‘full blown insanity'. I find it disturbing that anyone would listen to this mummified commie self-loathing Jew.

Bernie Sanders: Felons should be able to vote while in prison

He's right, they should. Voting is considered a fundamental right like marriage.

Turner v. Safley - Wikipedia

and it's a state issue, not a national one.

Oddly enough, only 2 states allow incarcerated prisoners to vote.

Maine, and Vermont.

It is now, it doesn't have to be. A federal law can be passed. It should be part of a larger enfranchisement bill that would include automatic registration.

I'm certain that is incorrect. Aside from constitutionally established minimums, voting rights are the domain of the states. The Supreme Court has held that protection of the right to vote is the states' job, not the federal government's job. Congress can no more mandate expanded voting rights, or voter registration methods, in the states than the states can take immigration on themselves.

And yet we have a nationwide voting age, the NVRA and HAVA.

Abolish the Electoral College so a few cities rule the country.
We want to abolish the EC so that every vote actually counts and that the will of the people is reflected in the outcome.

NO

the will of a few states and cities will decide the presidency.

NOT the will of the people.

States don't vote in a popular election. Individuals do.

I take it that you, and some of the other fools on this board, believe the voters of Los Angeles County have more right to decide the presidency that the voters of N Dakota, S Dakota, Iowa, Kansas, Montana. Idaho, Wyoming, and Nebraska combined?

Sanders just crossed the line into ‘full blown insanity'. I find it disturbing that anyone would listen to this mummified commie self-loathing Jew.

He's right, they should. Voting is considered a fundamental right like marriage.

Maine, and Vermont.

It is now, it doesn't have to be. A federal law can be passed. It should be part of a larger enfranchisement bill that would include automatic registration.

I'm certain that is incorrect. Aside from constitutionally established minimums, voting rights are the domain of the states. The Supreme Court has held that protection of the right to vote is the states' job, not the federal government's job. Congress can no more mandate expanded voting rights, or voter registration methods, in the states than the states can take immigration on themselves.

Yes we do. What would you want? 7 year olds to vote? Well most liberals have the mentality of a 7 year old. “If my person doesn’t win the election I’ll cry!” :206:

We want to abolish the EC so that every vote actually counts and that the will of the people is reflected in the outcome.

NO

States and cities vote? Cool idea.

another of those fools I mentioned

If a member of Congress can vote on legislation from a jail cell, why can't a citizen vote on legislators from a jail cell?
Each house of Congress makes its own rules for what its members can and can't do, but the rights of other citizens are decided differently. We need to know: does Sanders have pen pals in prison?

Stay on topic.
I am on topic: Congress makes its own rules for its members and these rules have nothing to do with what other citizens have rights to.

Chasing the prison vote? Give me a fucking break! He is advocating for the rights of American. Prisoners, regardless of what they have done, are still Americans. Oh, and remember , they are disproportionately people of color - which goes a long way in explain the rights aversion to allowing them to vote.
Citizenship has its responsibilities. One of them is not being a common criminal and a piece of shit in general.
So should felons be striped of citizenship?

Stay on topic.

So should felons be striped of citizenship?
Voting rights or whatever that respective state want to strip them of.

Stay on topic.

Sanders is a political whore like all the other Democrats who are vying for the nomination. Clearly, he see a wealth of votes among the prison population and he is going after it.

NO

Individual citizens of that state.

Individual citizens of the United States.

Guns?

The Supreme Court has extended fundamental rights by recognizing several fundamental rights not specifically enumerated in the Constitution, including but not limited to:

The right to interstate travel
The right to parent one's children[9]
The right to privacy[10]
The right to marriage[11]
The right of self-defense

Any restrictions a government statute or policy places on these rights are evaluated with strict scrutiny. If a right is denied to everyone, it is an issue of substantive due process. If a right is denied to some individuals but not others, it is also an issue of equal protection. However, any action that abridges a right deemed fundamental, when also violating equal protection, is still held to the more exacting standard of strict scrutiny, instead of the less demanding rational basis test.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_rights#List_of_important_rights

Bernie is to old & to limited in his thinking, that's just my take on him. he is not always wrong he just go's that extra mile too far, we need some one who at least attempts to work for all of us.

Maine, and Vermont.

Yes we do. What would you want? 7 year olds to vote? Well most liberals have the mentality of a 7 year old. “If my person doesn’t win the election I’ll cry!” :206:

Not my point, idiot.

And yet we have a nationwide voting age

No, we have a constitutional restriction that prevents the states from using age to withhold voting rights beyond the age of 18 years. That every state, along with Washington DC, has individually chosen to comply with this minimum constitutional requirement is incidental. Of course, there are some places that are considering lowering their voting age to 16 years. They can do that they want. The constitution simply requires that their voting age is no more than 18.

The NVRA simply requires states to provide the opportunity for eligible people to register. It does nothing to dictate to states who shall be eligible.

and HAVA.

The HAVA mandates methodologies and minimum requirements for the way in which Congressional elections are administered. The constitution explicitly grants Congress the power to do this. Like your previous example, this law does not dictate to states who shall be eligible to vote.

NO

I take it that you, and some of the other fools on this board, believe the voters of Los Angeles County have more right to decide the presidency that the voters of N Dakota, S Dakota, Iowa, Kansas, Montana. Idaho, Wyoming, and Nebraska combined?

Repeating your nonsense doesn't make it less nonsense. In a popular election, locations do not vote. Individuals vote. Period. Where people live has zero to do with it.

The mentally ill should be permitted to own firearms too. They have a fundamental right to self-defense.

And yet we have a nationwide voting age

No, we have a constitutional restriction that prevents the states from using age to withhold voting rights beyond the age of 18 years. That every state, along with Washington DC, has individually chosen to comply with this minimum constitutional requirement is incidental. Of course, there are some places that are considering lowering their voting age to 16 years. They can do that they want. The constitution simply requires that their voting age is no more than 18.

The NVRA simply requires states to provide the opportunity for eligible people to register. It does nothing to dictate to states who shall be eligible.

and HAVA.

The HAVA mandates methodologies and minimum requirements for the way in which Congressional elections are administered. The constitution explicitly grants Congress the power to do this. Like your previous example, this law does not dictate to states who shall be eligible to vote.

So it will require a court ruling or a constitutional amendment. Okay. Still not impossible. More states need to do it. I hope CA is next.

The mentally ill should be permitted to own firearms too. They have a fundamental right to self-defense.

Thanks to the mentally ill Trump, they can.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-ended-rule-block-mentally-ill-guns/story?id=53113891

Now that’s moronic.

Forum List

Back