Bernie: "Today the Walton family of Walmart own more wealth than the bottom 40 percent of America."

Without unions opportunities have dwindled. Wages are stagnant.

Since unions don't provide any opportunities, if that's true, maybe it has nothing to do with unions, ya think, Holmes?

I think we wouldn't have a middle class without unions. There is a reason every country with a strong middle class has unions.

Well, if you don't think so that's fact, I concede. Thank you for clarifying that. Obviously no one could do middle class on their own, they need it done for them

Well what country has a strong middle class without unions?

the United States before we had unions

Really what years would this be? Link?

Without unions opportunities have dwindled. Wages are stagnant.

Since unions don't provide any opportunities, if that's true, maybe it has nothing to do with unions, ya think, Holmes?

I think we wouldn't have a middle class without unions. There is a reason every country with a strong middle class has unions.

Well, if you don't think so that's fact, I concede. Thank you for clarifying that. Obviously no one could do middle class on their own, they need it done for them

They make sure employees get good wages.

They blackmail companies into spending far more for labor than it's worth, while causing untold damage to the community at large . . . which is why they're so out-of-favor. Not only that, they hobble and enslave their own members far more than the employers would ever dream of doing.

I have had many family members who were happy Union members with good jobs. What you are claiming is bull. Without them we have stagnant wages, out of control inequality and a slow economy.

Why couldn't they make it on their own? Why did they need a union to negotiate their wages for them?

With stagnant wages you could ask that of most people.

The rise of leftism was completely consistent with 'stagnant wages.' The more you wanted pay without performance, the more wages stalled

What are you talking about? Wages have stagnated with the union decline.

You mean to counter your links? which would be ...

You mean to counter your links? which would be ...

No you say we had a strong middle class before unions, what years are you talking about?

See, I'm caught on wondering WHY anyone would NEED to justify it.

Because, as has been reiterated numerous times in this thread and others, some of us don't want to pay their taxes for them.
Of course, because we'd rather Wal-Mart go out of business and they have NO job at all.
Maybe that's what you want, but those of us who know how to spell the company name would prefer that when they start closing stores - which they will - better employers such as Costco and WinCo will move into those markets.
Of course they will, and bring with them higher prices. Why do you want to deny the poor of this country access to low cost electronics, food, clothing, and automotive goods?

Savvy retailers adjust prices to the local market.

What stopped the Dims from eliminating those "loopholes?"

The who, now?

It appears you believe some people are entitled to take all the deductions the law allows while other's aren't.

On the contrary.

They will not, however, be able to match the sheer volume buying power of Walmart, thus inevitably bringing higher prices. If they could match Walmart's prices, they would be doing so already.

While it is theirs certainly, the earned part is questionable. Everyone is born.

What's questionable is why you leftists have latched onto the word "earned", and think you can demand that people prove to you that they "deserve" their own property through meeting some arbitrary definition of "earned".

They built and maintained a relationship with their father, such that he chose to give them his property. YOU, on the other hand, didn't even do that much. So I think we can safely say the Walton children did more to "earn" what they have than YOU did. Or the government did. Or anyone who doesn't actually own the money did.

No actually I do far more than the Waltons, none of them even have a position with the company. They don't work at all. I work quite a lot.

Not true. Rob Walton is the CEO of the company. Most of the others have positions with other companies. They are all on the Walton Family Foundation's board of directors.

Of course it isn't true. Lefties lie, it's what they do.

Rob Walton isn't ceo moron.

Whatever idiot. It's theirs, they deserve it. Instead of blaming them for your fucked up life that resulted from your poor choices, maybe try to change your own situation. Stop being a greedy, lazy, parasite and earn something.

When this nation was great, we would see a rich man and think; someday that's going to be me. That kind of thinking made us the greatest and most powerful nation on earth. Now most people look at a rich man and think; we need to take his money away. That kind of thinking has been instrumental in our decline.

That sounds real nice, but that was when we had strong unions and more opportunities. Now wages are stagnant.

No idiot, it wasn't. It was when we got unions that the decline started. It is the unions that look at the rich and want to take their money. Just how fucking stupid are you exactly.

What's questionable is why you leftists have latched onto the word "earned", and think you can demand that people prove to you that they "deserve" their own property through meeting some arbitrary definition of "earned".

They built and maintained a relationship with their father, such that he chose to give them his property. YOU, on the other hand, didn't even do that much. So I think we can safely say the Walton children did more to "earn" what they have than YOU did. Or the government did. Or anyone who doesn't actually own the money did.

No actually I do far more than the Waltons, none of them even have a position with the company. They don't work at all. I work quite a lot.

Not true. Rob Walton is the CEO of the company. Most of the others have positions with other companies. They are all on the Walton Family Foundation's board of directors.

He was, moron:

Rob Walton - Walmart Board of Directors

S. Robson Walton (Rob Walton)
Retired Chairman of the Board of Directors

The man is 94. Do you expect him to work until he drops dead?

He's and idiot AND a liar. To be a democrat is to be a liar.

It's theirs and they earned it. More power to them.

While it is theirs certainly, the earned part is questionable. Everyone is born.

I've already pointed out that Rob Walton is CEO of the company.

In the interests of not letting them digress and natter over details, I will point out that Rob Walton was the Chairman of the Board of Directors, not CEO. Doug McMillon is the CEO.

According to CNN Money, Sam and Helen Walton had four children. John, their son, died in a plane crash, so possibly we can dispense with the liver-eating envy in regards to him. Their son, Rob, graduated college and took a job with the law firm representing WalMart until the early 90s, when he went to work directly for WalMart as their general counsel and one of their vice-presidents. And, of course, Chairman of the Board. Their third son, Jim, manages Walton Enterprises, the parent company of the family's businesses, which handles the family's stock in WalMart as well as other investments. Their daughter, Alice, worked for WalMart as a buyer, then left to become a broker and start her own investment company.

All four living Waltons - Helen, Rob, Jim, and Alice, are active in charity work on behalf of the Walton Family Foundation, and donate millions of dollars of their own money to same.

How much did YOU donate to charity last year, Brain?

The Walton heirs - Jun. 28, 2005

Who We Are

The actual point is that the idiot OP claims that the Waltons did nothing to "earn" their money but be born a Walton. He is clearly wrong.

You might want to start thinking about starting a sock account and never post as"Brain" again

You're right. He was Chairman of the Board of Directors of WalMart until this year, at which point I believe he retired.

For purposes of this discussion, though, it's not a huge difference, since the point was that he certainly did work in re: WalMart. And he is involved in the Walton Family Foundation still.

Yes I am. No Waltons currently hold positions with the company.

Ahhh, so now we're supposed to excoriate them because they got old and retired? Or somehow be impressed by your ability to parse words in order to ignore that all of the living Walton children DID work for WalMart?

He's a parasite. He wants what others have and doesn't think he has to actually earn it. He's gone waaaaay out in left field now trying to spin and backtrack out of the mess his greed and ignorance placed him in.

Whatever idiot. It's theirs, they deserve it. Instead of blaming them for your fucked up life that resulted from your poor choices, maybe try to change your own situation. Stop being a greedy, lazy, parasite and earn something.

You are the idiot who was wrong. Bravo.

I do quite well.

I do quite well.

That's easy to make that claim anonymously on the Internet, but your jealousy, greed and resentment give you away. You've fucked up your life, probably got a union job and are watching foreign companies push you out of the market share, and your Union has been compromising a lot just to keep from killing the company. And THAT is me giving you the benefit of the doubt.

I do quite well.

That's easy to make that claim anonymously on the Internet, but your jealousy, greed and resentment give you away. You've fucked up your life, probably got a union job and are watching foreign companies push you out of the market share, and your Union has been compromising a lot just to keep from killing the company. And THAT is me giving you the benefit of the doubt.

And it is really dumb to stupidly guess all that gibberish.

Trust me I am doing quite well. I'd like to see others do well also.

You might want to start thinking about starting a sock account and never post as"Brain" again

You're right. He was Chairman of the Board of Directors of WalMart until this year, at which point I believe he retired.

For purposes of this discussion, though, it's not a huge difference, since the point was that he certainly did work in re: WalMart. And he is involved in the Walton Family Foundation still.

Yes I am. No Waltons currently hold positions with the company.

Ahhh, so now we're supposed to excoriate them because they got old and retired? Or somehow be impressed by your ability to parse words in order to ignore that all of the living Walton children DID work for WalMart?

He's a parasite. He wants what others have and doesn't think he has to actually earn it. He's gone waaaaay out in left field now trying to spin and backtrack out of the mess his greed and ignorance placed him in.

I do quite well.

My favorite deflection, with variations. :lol:

Oh, this should be fun...

Describe what you believe the U.S. was like before unions. A few facts interspersed with the opinion might be nice.

life in the 1920s was good for most people. It was better than it had ever been for 5000 yrs of recorded history.
The AFL was founded in 1886.

But I'm sure the rum-runners and the investors who caused the Crash of '29 did very well.

Forum List

Back