Biden; You'll Know My Opinion On Packing The Courts After The Election

Actually, this IS payback, RW. In 2007, Schumer made it clear that he wasn't confirming ANY of W's Supreme picks during the entire term of Congress after the D's took over. The GOP is just returning the favor.
The D senate voted on every one of W's supreme court justice nominations. Why make shit up?

Thus confirming Dems will pack the court. It's not like anyone has any doubts they have openly threatened to do so.

Payback is a BITCH
So it’s really about “payback”, or retribution, or inflicting harm to the institution, not to strengthen it.

Thanks for being honest for once.

Yup

Republicans have not made many friends by blocking Obama’s appointment because it was an election year and then filling a vacancy in the middle of an election.

Dems win in November, they will do what they want
Why? Because they can

I'm sure they will do what they want- regardless of what happens to the Barrett nomination.

But you know what? The D's may have all of these plans to get the court packed so they can never be challenged, including admitting DC and Puerto Rico as states.

But they can still lose the election. And if they do, they will have only themselves to blame when Trump packs the court and gets a Republican Congress to admit Northern Wyoming and East Oklahoma as states. They are the ones who will have given the R's the idea.

Payback is a BITCH
So it’s really about “payback”, or retribution, or inflicting harm to the institution, not to strengthen it.

Thanks for being honest for once.

Yup

Republicans have not made many friends by blocking Obama’s appointment because it was an election year and then filling a vacancy in the middle of an election.

Dems win in November, they will do what they want
Why? Because they can

Dems already tried to do exactly what Trump and the Republicans are now doing so I don't want to hear anymore whining and crying and complaining from Dems. :eusa_hand:

The McConnell Rule says they will not fill SCOTUS vacancies in an election year.
When there are opposing parties in the WH and Senate. Try to keep up.
Can you cite even ONE republican saying that in 2016?

No you can't, because they never said that until 2020 when they reversed the McConnell rule.
This is from 2018:
Mr. McConnell: “Well, I understand your question. And what I told you is what the history of the Senate has been. You have to go back to 1880 to find the last time a vacancy created in a presidential election year on the Supreme Court was confirmed by a Senate of a different party than the president.”

In 2016 Harry Reid said:
“Failing to fill this vacancy would be a shameful abdication of one of the Senate's most essential Constitutional responsibilities.”

It almost certainly depends on how McConnell acts in the next few weeks with the election going on and the judiciary committee republicans getting covid. If he jams through this nomination after Trump loses the election and with the senate maybe changing hands Biden has every right to correct matters,

You don't have to worry about it. She will be confirmed before the election. You can't stop it.
Well then since being a ruthless partisan bastard that changes the rules to suit them is the real "McConnell rule" you will have no right to complain when two extra justices get added.
Waah waah waah typical whiny liberal
Uh huh, your greatest fear is "whiny liberals" using republican tactics.

When is court packing a "Republican tactic"?
It has been the only thing the senate has been doing since the moment McConnell gained control.

There you have it, folks.

Straight from the jackasses mouth. He won't tell you he's going to pack the court. They're already starting to plan it.

Biden's opinion on court packing after the election will be irrelevant because he will be irrelevant.

The old Democrat double standard. They tried to replace a conservative justice with a liberal, but now that the shoe is on the other foot and Republicans are replacing a liberal justice with a conservative Dems are squealing like stuck pigs.

But they can still lose the election. And if they do, they will have only themselves to blame when Trump packs the court and gets a Republican Congress to admit Northern Wyoming and East Oklahoma as states. They are the ones who will have given the R's the idea.
What you suggest, N Wyoming, E Oklahoma, is a violation of the constitution.

Even a simple read tells you that.

What you suggest, N Wyoming, E Oklahoma, is a violation of the constitution.

Even a simple read tells you that.

Not if Congress approves. Remember West Virginia was built from an existing state.

The McConnell Rule says they will not fill SCOTUS vacancies in an election year.

No you can't, because they never said that until 2020 when they reversed the McConnell rule.
This is from 2018:
Mr. McConnell: “Well, I understand your question. ....

Geeeeez 2018, two years after?

I said in 2016 when McConnell made the rule, not when he reversed himself two years later.

You're just proving my point. McConnell and every other republicans said "NOT DURING A PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION YEAR"

With no other caveats.

EPIC FAIL on your part.

There you have it, folks.

Straight from the jackasses mouth. He won't tell you he's going to pack the court. They're already starting to plan it.

Sounds kinda like "first we need to pass it to find out whats in it". Democrats are truly senseless, moronic, idiots.

When any politician says I won’t give you my opinion an issue till after the election that’s a warning sign. FDR floated court packing in the 1930s and got hammered from all sides. The late Justice Ginsburg did not support court packing stating 9 seems a good number and pointing out it was a bad idea when FDR tried.

Not if Congress approves. Remember West Virginia was built from an existing state.
Wrong.

the western part of the state of Virginia (1776–1863), whose population became sharply divided over the issue of secession from the Union and in the separation from Virginia, formalized by admittance to the Union as a new state in 1863.
  • West Virginia formed after breaking away from Virginia during the Civil War. ...
Virginia succeeded from the united states. Thus was no longer a state. Congress didn't divide it, the people broke away from the rebels, and congress admitted those still loyal to the USA.

This is from 2018:
Mr. McConnell: “Well, I understand your question. ....

Geeeeez 2018, two years after?

I said in 2016 when McConnell made the rule, not when he reversed himself two years later.

You're just proving my point. McConnell and every other republicans said "NOT DURING A PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION YEAR"

With no other caveats.

EPIC FAIL on your part.
Wrong, you claimed he didn’t have that position until 2020.

With no other caveats.

EPIC FAIL on your part.
Wrong, you claimed he didn’t have that position until 2020.
I said McConnell did a complete reversal in 2020, when he started twisting was well after 2016.

As I said, find a republican in 2016 who said who ran the senate had anything to do with their "NO SUPREME COURT JUSTICES DURING A PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION YEAR" rule.

Wrong.

the western part of the state of Virginia (1776–1863), whose population became sharply divided over the issue of secession from the Union and in the separation from Virginia, formalized by admittance to the Union as a new state in 1863.
  • West Virginia formed after breaking away from Virginia during the Civil War. ...
Virginia succeeded from the united states. Thus was no longer a state. Congress didn't divide it, the people broke away from the rebels, and congress admitted those still loyal to the USA.

The ruling was that Virginia's secession was illegal, moot and void.

Further, how about Maine seceding from Massachusetts? Similar situation.

When any politician says I won’t give you my opinion an issue till after the election that’s a warning sign.

Is that like when a politician won't show you his tax returns until after the election?
If there was a legal or constitutional requirement that they do so it would be as there is no such requirement for any American citizen to make their returns public no. Politicians tax returns Republican or Democrat have no impact on my life the Supreme Court does so for me the possibility of court packing ranks way higher than tax returns.

Forum List

Back