Bill Would Require State Approval to Homeschool

My nonhomeschooled niece just made a post on facebook which illustrates a major difference between her and the homeschooled nephews and nieces.

It's her first day of break. And she is already bored. She doesn't know what to do with herself if she's not on the school's schedule.

The homeschooled kids' days aren't defined by what someone else tells them to do. They have much more autonomy and the Monday before Christmas is no more likely to make them say "what do we do now" than any other Monday in the year. For them learning and finding interesting things to do are everyday experiences for them, experiences they drive with the help of creative parents who model how to live a fulfilling life.

My nonhomeschooling brother and sister-in-law are great. And their kids are great and I'm sure they will have successes in life. But school is something to get through before their life can start, and when they get through it, they'll have a void. They've internalized a concept of themselves as someone who is supposed to be sitting in a particular room on Monday morning. But not the personal achievement, not in the same way a homeschooler can. They haven't had the opportunities to explore their own interests the way homeschooled kids can. They've learned how to sit in chairs and wait in lines and not make too much noise between school bells.

Sounds like your homeschooling relatives have it down right.

I have known some home schooled kids who were bored out of their mind.

I have known so many children that loved public schooling.

You have shown just how important the nature of parental involvement in public or private or home schooling.

I never met a soul who enjoyed public school.

My nonhomeschooled niece just made a post on facebook which illustrates a major difference between her and the homeschooled nephews and nieces.

It's her first day of break. And she is already bored. She doesn't know what to do with herself if she's not on the school's schedule.

The homeschooled kids' days aren't defined by what someone else tells them to do. They have much more autonomy and the Monday before Christmas is no more likely to make them say "what do we do now" than any other Monday in the year. For them learning and finding interesting things to do are everyday experiences for them, experiences they drive with the help of creative parents who model how to live a fulfilling life.

My nonhomeschooling brother and sister-in-law are great. And their kids are great and I'm sure they will have successes in life. But school is something to get through before their life can start, and when they get through it, they'll have a void. They've internalized a concept of themselves as someone who is supposed to be sitting in a particular room on Monday morning. But not the personal achievement, not in the same way a homeschooler can. They haven't had the opportunities to explore their own interests the way homeschooled kids can. They've learned how to sit in chairs and wait in lines and not make too much noise between school bells.

As I was growing up...my parents always told us to get out of the house...and this meant to us go out and have fun...(lawfully as a matter of course)...we used our imaginations...invented a lot of our own fun...LONG before the techno revolution (pre PONG mind you).

WE just did what we did. No worse for the wear or strain on our parents.... Young folks have so much now to do...could it be that they're overwhelmed, or is it that they've never been taught to look at their choices and do the right thing and what's best for them, or have they become too dependent and haven't been taught to USE their imaginations?

*Ponder*

Every parent controls who his children associate with. And frankly, I don't want my kids exposed to everything. I certainly don't want them exposed to inner city gangs. A lot of the kids in the schools I went to were criminals.

Me too

And I used the values my parents taught me to decide which kids I should hang out with and which ones I should stay away from. My parents did not supervise me 24 hours a day, I was free to associate with who I wanted to in public school. I was also free to hang out with friends after school

So you're saying that you wouldn't mind having your kids rub elbows all day with other kids who are doing and selling drugs?

Yeah, right.

I rubbed elbows with kids who did and sold drugs when I went to school. My kids did the same. The key is developing life skills to know how to deal with these situations without having your parents hovering over you 24/7

You cannot protect your kids their whole lives. Sooner or later they will have to learn to deal with individuals who were not preselected by their parents

You have shown just how important the nature of parental involvement in public or private or home schooling.

I did

I learned things, had experiences and met people who had an impact on my whole life

The OP newstory seemed fanciful, and using a pretty bizarre lawmaker to fluff up a story. Even here in the deep deep deep South, the State Dept of Ed publishes a curriculum and suggests sources. And, kid's have to pass tests. There's no reason to think home schooling is less effective than public school.

Me too

And I used the values my parents taught me to decide which kids I should hang out with and which ones I should stay away from. My parents did not supervise me 24 hours a day, I was free to associate with who I wanted to in public school. I was also free to hang out with friends after school

So you're saying that you wouldn't mind having your kids rub elbows all day with other kids who are doing and selling drugs?

Yeah, right.

I rubbed elbows with kids who did and sold drugs when I went to school. My kids did the same. The key is developing life skills to know how to deal with these situations without having your parents hovering over you 24/7

You cannot protect your kids their whole lives. Sooner or later they will have to learn to deal with individuals who were not preselected by their parents

You can protect your kids while they are living at home, and then they will develop the habits and values that will keep them out of trouble later in life. When kids are in Jr. high school and high school, the don't have the knowledge or emotional maturity required to resist social pressure from the wrong kind of classmates. If they did, then why would we give parents the authority to make their decisions for them? Hell, if we are going to accept your advice, why not just let them mix with juvenile delinquents when they are in Kindergarten?

It takes a special kind of stupidity or naiveté to believe that the drugs, criminality and violence that are an intrinsic feature of government schools aren't a threat to your children. That is the ultimate in denial.

Your theories about child rearing are obvious horseshit.

Last edited:

I did

I learned things, had experiences and met people who had an impact on my whole life

I won't say i enjoyed it, but I learned about thugs and intolerance.

I did

I met a lot of bullies, criminals and drug addicts. The teachers almost all sucked.

Yeah, right.

You can protect your kids while they are living at home, and then they will develop the habits and values that will keep them out of trouble later in life. When kids are in Jr. high school and high school, the don't have the knowledge or emotional maturity required to resist social pressure from the wrong kind of classmates. If they did, then why would we give parents the authority to make their decisions for them? Hell, if we are going to accept your advice, why not just let them mix with juvenile delinquents when they are in Kindergarten?

It takes a special kind of stupidity or naiveté to believe that the drugs, criminality and violence that are an intrinsic feature of government schools aren't a threat to your children. That is the ultimate in denial.

Not really

90% of parents give their children a certain degree of autonomy while they are growing up. It makes them stronger and better able to cope in an open society.

You can't protect your children from every boogeyman

I did

To a point I did too. MANY of the teachers I had I remained in contact with and followed a path suggested by them AND my parents...as well as many of my peers.

The experience was elightening...but in a different time...and far detached from where public education is NOW.

I think it's gotten out of hand and has lost the intent as I think the mission has changed...and NOT for the better seeing the failure rate as when myself (and presumably you occupied the halls).

Society is changing, that much is clear.

I did

To a point I did too. MANY of the teachers I had I remained in contact with and followed a path suggested by them AND my parents...as well as many of my peers.

The experience was elightening...but in a different time...and far detached from where public education is NOW.

I think it's gotten out of hand and has lost the intent as I think the mission has changed...and NOT for the better seeing the failure rate as when myself (and presumably you occupied the halls).

You are right on it, The T, I think.

And if the parents don't get involved from here on out, the outcome will be sad.

I did

I met a lot of bullies, criminals and drug addicts. The teachers almost all sucked.

Given with they had to deal with Fingerboy, I am not surprised

People who are socially adjusted usually thrive in a High School environment

I'm sure finger boy was a real charmer in class. (-: However, I think there's a distinction between "thrive" and learning the tools to succeed in getting an education and career to become a productive citizen.

I did

You are right on it, The T, I think.

And if the parents don't get involved from here on out, the outcome will be sad.
I have to agree. Parents cannot be detached. They have to remain engaged until the child leaves the nest, and that includes fighting for what is right in the spending of their tax dollars as to the education of their children...and even to the point of yanking them out and doing it themselves. *CHOICE*

Having children means having say so as to their upbringing, responsibility. Gonna have 'em? YOU are gonna bring them up and be responsible.

I see NO problem with homeschooling at all.

Neither do I, or private, or public.

Are the students able to critically think, use such principles, understand empiricism and rationalism, and can make the argument for the other side as well as their own.

Hmmm . . . do you know if home schooling provides the opportunity for students to compete in Debate Club with other public, private, and public students in tournaments?

I did

Given with they had to deal with Fingerboy, I am not surprised

So it's my fault the teachers sucked? talk about blaming the victim.

[People who are socially adjusted usually thrive in a High School environment

So what about the kids who aren't socially well adjusted? Just screw them, eh? Tough shit if they get addicted to drugs. Their parents should have done a better job of raising them, eh? Is that your argument?

What an asshole.

Not really

90% of parents give their children a certain degree of autonomy while they are growing up. It makes them stronger and better able to cope in an open society.

You can't protect your children from every boogeyman

"Autonomy" is one thing. Exposing them to a horror show like a government school is another. Where do you get off claiming homeschoolers don't give their children any autonomy? Keeping them away from toxic environments is not denying them autonomy.

Forum List

Back