Bill Would Require State Approval to Homeschool

I did

I learned things, had experiences and met people who had an impact on my whole life
To a point I did too. MANY of the teachers I had I remained in contact with and followed a path suggested by them AND my parents...as well as many of my peers.

The experience was elightening...but in a different time...and far detached from where public education is NOW.

I think it's gotten out of hand and has lost the intent as I think the mission has changed...and NOT for the better seeing the failure rate as when myself (and presumably you occupied the halls).

Society is changing, that much is clear.

You are right on it, The T, I think.

And if the parents don't get involved from here on out, the outcome will be sad.

Taking your kids out of this horror show is a much more certain method of protecting your kids.

Neither do I, or private, or public.

Are the students able to critically think, use such principles, understand empiricism and rationalism, and can make the argument for the other side as well as their own.?

Can you demonstrate that government school teachers have those abilities? The answer is a clear "no." When they are given basic competency tests, many of them fail.

Schoolteachers in NY undergo background checks before they are hired. Why should a parent who wants to be a schoolteacher get preferential treatment?

Because they are teaching their own children and, regardless of what libs say, people should still be the authority on their own lives. It would be different if they were teaching other people's children and were being paid with tax dollars.

Public school teachers can be really good or can really suck and the government will not differentiate between the two. Parents generally want what is best for their own children and that desire isn't always shared by strangers who teach.

I suppose it's only a matter of time before all parents have their homes inspected so they have to meet the same standards as daycare centers. I believe there are already laws against having a family member babysit full time. The nanny government thinks no one is capable of making decisions that are best for them or their children.

Libtruds have always hated home schooling because they can't stand the idea that not every child is subjected to government brainwashing. This is just one of the numerous attempts they have made to quash homeschooling and force all children into the government indoctrination mills.

Bill Would Require State Approval to Homeschool | The Arizona Conservative

Ohio State Senator Capri Cafaro (D-Hubbard) has introduced legislation to boost state regulation of homeschooling. Senate Bill 248 would require that parents be investigated and approved before being allowed to homeschool their children.

“The very fact that parents would want to deny their children the enriching experience of a public school education raises a ‘red flag,’” Cafaro declared. “It makes one wonder what other risks of neglect or abuse might be present in the home environment. Rather than supinely wait for tragedies to occur it is incumbent upon the government to intercede ahead of time.”

Cafaro hypothesized that “overt signs of excessive religious fervor, gun ownership, or the presence of books and magazines that denigrate progressive values and undermine loyalty to and faith in the efforts of the government to better people’s lives would demonstrate an anti-social environment that is unfit for children.”

The Senator acknowledged that “there are likely too many anti-social home environments for us to take the most appropriate remedy of removing the afflicted children. We should at least insist that the children attend public schools as a way of counterbalancing these pernicious influences on their education and development.”​

I home schooled in Missouri 2005-2010, you had to have a state certify the programs and notify the state.
Since it it a law that all children must be educated or else you may be fined or jailed.

Schoolteachers in NY undergo background checks before they are hired. Why should a parent who wants to be a schoolteacher get preferential treatment?

Because they are teaching their own children and, regardless of what libs say, people should still be the authority on their own lives. It would be different if they were teaching other people's children and were being paid with tax dollars.

Public school teachers can be really good or can really suck and the government will not differentiate between the two. Parents generally want what is best for their own children and that desire isn't always shared by strangers who teach.

I suppose it's only a matter of time before all parents have their homes inspected so they have to meet the same standards as daycare centers. I believe there are already laws against having a family member babysit full time. The nanny government thinks no one is capable of making decisions that are best for them or their children.

Make stuff up much?

My nonhomeschooled niece just made a post on facebook which illustrates a major difference between her and the homeschooled nephews and nieces.

It's her first day of break. And she is already bored. She doesn't know what to do with herself if she's not on the school's schedule.

The homeschooled kids' days aren't defined by what someone else tells them to do. They have much more autonomy and the Monday before Christmas is no more likely to make them say "what do we do now" than any other Monday in the year. For them learning and finding interesting things to do are everyday experiences for them, experiences they drive with the help of creative parents who model how to live a fulfilling life.

My nonhomeschooling brother and sister-in-law are great. And their kids are great and I'm sure they will have successes in life. But school is something to get through before their life can start, and when they get through it, they'll have a void. They've internalized a concept of themselves as someone who is supposed to be sitting in a particular room on Monday morning. But not the personal achievement, not in the same way a homeschooler can. They haven't had the opportunities to explore their own interests the way homeschooled kids can. They've learned how to sit in chairs and wait in lines and not make too much noise between school bells.

Sounds like your homeschooling relatives have it down right.

I have known some home schooled kids who were bored out of their mind.

I have known so many children that loved public schooling.

You have shown just how important the nature of parental involvement in public or private or home schooling.

I never met a soul who enjoyed public school.

I did, but I was smart and a good athlete...it was a blast.

I mostly enjoyed public school but I learned next to nothing. I got the basics from my mother very early and coasted. I had 45 absences recorded on my report card for my junior year and 60 for my senior year and I was still valedictorian.

I was woefully unprepared for college.

Are the students able to critically think, use such principles, understand empiricism and rationalism, and can make the argument for the other side as well as their own.?

Can you demonstrate that government school teachers have those abilities? The answer is a clear "no." When they are given basic competency tests, many of them fail.

Yup, they are certified and their competencies are tested, and so will home school teachers.

Are the students able to critically think, use such principles, understand empiricism and rationalism, and can make the argument for the other side as well as their own.

Hmmm . . . do you know if home schooling provides the opportunity for students to compete in Debate Club with other public, private, and public students in tournaments?
How about we leave that to parents. WHY insist Government set standards? We see where that got us? WE are going backwards in the world and deservedly so...WE USED TO BE ON TOP.

Yup, they are certified and their competencies are tested, and so will home school teachers.

Over my dead body.

And no, they aren't competent. As I told you, many of them fail, so they revise the test so even a moron like you could pass it.

Libtruds have always hated home schooling because they can't stand the idea that not every child is subjected to government brainwashing. This is just one of the numerous attempts they have made to quash homeschooling and force all children into the government indoctrination mills.

Bill Would Require State Approval to Homeschool | The Arizona Conservative

Ohio State Senator Capri Cafaro (D-Hubbard) has introduced legislation to boost state regulation of homeschooling. Senate Bill 248 would require that parents be investigated and approved before being allowed to homeschool their children.

“The very fact that parents would want to deny their children the enriching experience of a public school education raises a ‘red flag,’” Cafaro declared. “It makes one wonder what other risks of neglect or abuse might be present in the home environment. Rather than supinely wait for tragedies to occur it is incumbent upon the government to intercede ahead of time.”

Cafaro hypothesized that “overt signs of excessive religious fervor, gun ownership, or the presence of books and magazines that denigrate progressive values and undermine loyalty to and faith in the efforts of the government to better people’s lives would demonstrate an anti-social environment that is unfit for children.”

The Senator acknowledged that “there are likely too many anti-social home environments for us to take the most appropriate remedy of removing the afflicted children. We should at least insist that the children attend public schools as a way of counterbalancing these pernicious influences on their education and development.”​

I home schooled in Missouri 2005-2010, you had to have a state certify the programs and notify the state.
Since it it a law that all children must be educated or else you may be fined or jailed.

Certifying the "program" is one thing. Certifying the parents is another.

Sounds like your homeschooling relatives have it down right.

I have known some home schooled kids who were bored out of their mind.

I have known so many children that loved public schooling.

You have shown just how important the nature of parental involvement in public or private or home schooling.

I never met a soul who enjoyed public school.

I did, but I was smart and a good athlete...it was a blast.

Well, I guess I can't really say that. The beautiful people always have a better time of it, but for the average kid who was just struggling to survive it was a horror show.

Last edited:
Honestly, is it any surprise when Rightwinger can no longer defend public schools he has to try and push the race phobia crap. Even though he can't provide proof for any of it, he's hoping at least SOMEONE might be sympathetic enough to buy into it. I can't begin to count the number of times racism is brought in when the left no longer feels they can win an argument based on just providing the facts.

Honestly, shakles, it no surprise that no one is buying your silliness.

I knew Texas families who home schooled their children to keep them away from blacks.

Yeah, how about that? Some Louisianans as well.

Home schools are regulated, always will be. End of story.

Take your race crap elsewhere.

Jake, I'm not the one that resorted to racism as valid argument against home schooling after I have clearly shown the public school system has failed. Believing you know someone and proving it with facts are two completely different things. Come back to me when you have more reliable facts to back up your argument, something that includes a link for once.

JakeTheFake is utterly uninterested in debate. The next facts he posts will be the first.

Every parent controls who his children associate with. And frankly, I don't want my kids exposed to everything. I certainly don't want them exposed to inner city gangs. A lot of the kids in the schools I went to were criminals.

Me too

And I used the values my parents taught me to decide which kids I should hang out with and which ones I should stay away from. My parents did not supervise me 24 hours a day, I was free to associate with who I wanted to in public school. I was also free to hang out with friends after school

So you're saying that you wouldn't mind having your kids rub elbows all day with other kids who are doing and selling drugs?

Yeah, right.

Why not...he probably did!

Jarl, you are no toughie except on the Board, and that just makes adults laugh, so grow up and act your age.

We are talking about requirements for home schooling here.

So you're saying that you wouldn't mind having your kids rub elbows all day with other kids who are doing and selling drugs?

Yeah, right.

I rubbed elbows with kids who did and sold drugs when I went to school. My kids did the same. The key is developing life skills to know how to deal with these situations without having your parents hovering over you 24/7

You cannot protect your kids their whole lives. Sooner or later they will have to learn to deal with individuals who were not preselected by their parents

You can protect your kids while they are living at home, and then they will develop the habits and values that will keep them out of trouble later in life. When kids are in Jr. high school and high school, the don't have the knowledge or emotional maturity required to resist social pressure from the wrong kind of classmates. If they did, then why would we give parents the authority to make their decisions for them? Hell, if we are going to accept your advice, why not just let them mix with juvenile delinquents when they are in Kindergarten?

It takes a special kind of stupidity or naiveté to believe that the drugs, criminality and violence that are an intrinsic feature of government schools aren't a threat to your children. That is the ultimate in denial.

Your theories about child rearing are obvious horseshit.

actually the worst is MIDDLE school. High school is OK.
From my own experience it is the best to homeschool while in middle school, and, probably the first year of high school.
By the second, or third year of high school kids are mature enough to not get in stupid trouble and get from high school the best they can.

but when they learn the analytical skills and when they actually become teenagers - homeschooling is much, much, much better.
Because they concentrate on LEARNING not on a stupid rivalry herd thing.

Forum List

Back