BREAKING: E-mails Show Lois Lerner Intentionally Sought to Hide Information from Cong

You don't know and don't have proof that they were destroyed for nefarious reasons...you have no proof these hard drives were intentionally fried.

That's the purpose of the criminal investigation, to prove it.

I know they didn't follow IRS procedures for safeguarding information.

I appears you are the one unfamiliar with the rules. When the IRS goes after someone for crimes, "the hard drive crashed" is never an acceptable answer.

The normal practice was to print out all emails that meet the definition of a federal record.

Internal Revenue Manual - 1.10.3 Standards for Using Email

These are baseless accusations....without knowing if someone intentionally blew their hard drive up and intentionally had their emails removed from the back up servers and a whole slew of other accusations that have been thrown out there in the wind, they would need a cast of 100 people to have been involved in this whole meritless conspiracy the right wing has once again, conjured up. It's to the point of being just plain ridiculous, and I blame no one but these republican congress critters themselves...for not caring about this case enough, to keep their partisan grand standing and showmanship, (and loose lips that sink ships), OUT OF THE INVESTIGATION... they could have been professional, and gotten to the bottom of this long ago....but THAT is not their goal...it's plain as day.

I get it, you trust these people even when they break the rules.
they may have broken the rules in the guidelines, but they may have followed the company policy as well...meaning, all emails involving all case loads, were printed and saved as documents with the appropriate documentation of the cases....and this could be what all employees follow...we don't know that these 7 were not following their office's guidelines.... It may be they that were following what they were told and taught, regarding making email copies involved in case loads....we need to find out, what the protocol was for all employees in these offices involved and see if these 7 were doing nothing out of the ordinary with their email filings....

Read the link I posted. Then note that the IRS has said they cannot produce the emails in question due to hard drive crashes and backup tape rotation.

If the irs office's practice was not meeting the federal guidelines with their own protocol on how to handle emails, would this be Lerner's or the other 7's fault, when their entire office was doing it this way???

That would be the HEAD of the IRS's fault.

You're getting warmer....

This is information that could easily be found out....why isn't anyone asking the questions instead of inserting innuendos and accusations of wrong doing and criminality by the 7 without even knowing this info?

everything is relative....

As I said before, it would be suspicious if the 7 were the only ones that only printed emails of documented IRS cases, IF NONE of the other employees did it this way and copied and printed ALL of their own emails....it starts to get smelly.

It would be suspicious if the 7 hard drives were the only hard drive crashes at the irs during the same period....but not so suspicious if there were an additional 25 other irs employees during the same period that had hard drive crashes....

We need a handle on what was going on around these people at the same time...in order to judge fairly, the situation....

It's suspicious that the IRS employees in question did not follow the IRS procedures and anyone who calls that malfeasance is ridiculed by Obama administration supporters.

That's the purpose of the criminal investigation, to prove it.

I know they didn't follow IRS procedures for safeguarding information.

I appears you are the one unfamiliar with the rules. When the IRS goes after someone for crimes, "the hard drive crashed" is never an acceptable answer.

The normal practice was to print out all emails that meet the definition of a federal record.

Internal Revenue Manual - 1.10.3 Standards for Using Email

I get it, you trust these people even when they break the rules.
they may have broken the rules in the guidelines, but they may have followed the company policy as well...meaning, all emails involving all case loads, were printed and saved as documents with the appropriate documentation of the cases....and this could be what all employees follow...we don't know that these 7 were not following their office's guidelines.... It may be they that were following what they were told and taught, regarding making email copies involved in case loads....we need to find out, what the protocol was for all employees in these offices involved and see if these 7 were doing nothing out of the ordinary with their email filings....

Read the link I posted. Then note that the IRS has said they cannot produce the emails in question due to hard drive crashes and backup tape rotation.

If the irs office's practice was not meeting the federal guidelines with their own protocol on how to handle emails, would this be Lerner's or the other 7's fault, when their entire office was doing it this way???

That would be the HEAD of the IRS's fault.

This is information that could easily be found out....why isn't anyone asking the questions instead of inserting innuendos and accusations of wrong doing and criminality by the 7 without even knowing this info?

As I said before, it would be suspicious if the 7 were the only ones that only printed emails of documented IRS cases, IF NONE of the other employees did it this way and copied and printed ALL of their own emails....it starts to get smelly.

It would be suspicious if the 7 hard drives were the only hard drive crashes at the irs during the same period....but not so suspicious if there were an additional 25 other irs employees during the same period that had hard drive crashes....

We need a handle on what was going on around these people at the same time...in order to judge fairly, the situation....

It's suspicious that the IRS employees in question did not follow the IRS procedures and anyone who calls that malfeasance is ridiculed by Obama administration supporters.
no, it's not suspicious regarding the emails in this case missing, IF THE OTHERS in this irs division handled their emails in the exact same manner....that would be their office's protocol....not the individual's decision to break the federal IRS rule book...but the office protocol, office's common practice, breaking it.

The reason the emails are "missing" is that 7 hard drives crashed...all 7 of the people those hard drives belonged to failed to back up those emails with paper copies as required by law...none of the data from the 7 crashed computers was retrieved from tape back-ups specifically put in place for that purpose...and then the tape back up that held the "missing" emails was scrubbed despite a Congressional subpoena requesting those emails.

Nah, nothing "suspicious" there!!!

no, it's not suspicious regarding the emails in this case missing, IF THE OTHERS in this irs division handled their emails in the exact same manner....that would be their office's protocol....not the individual's decision to break the federal IRS rule book...but the office protocol, office's common practice, breaking it.

Oh, so when a "group" violates Federal law then the "individuals" involved aren't culpable? Is that your contention?

So basically it's OK to cheat on your taxes...you just need to do it with a bunch of OTHER PEOPLE so you can claim the "Care Group Exemption to the Law"? Gotcha...

Oh, so when a "group" violates Federal law then the "individuals" involved aren't culpable? Is that your contention?
Not if these were the rules of their office...they are not laws, if I used the term law, I was wrong, they are RULES...

And no, the employees should not be held accountable for these rules and regs, being modified by their management for their particular use...

but if the hierarchy of the Division did set rules that did not meet the guidelines, then the Division management that put forth these office guidelines not meeting federal guidelines, should be held accountable.

If Lerner and these 7 were not a part of making these office guidelines, of course they should not be held accountable, nor should the other workers just following normal office practice and rules.

Last edited:
So basically it's OK to cheat on your taxes...you just need to do it with a bunch of OTHER PEOPLE so you can claim the "Care Group Exemption to the Law"? Gotcha...
just an fyi, I haven't had the chance to go and read the last *pm yet... and answer whatever you may have said...I was just giving my head a rest before delving in to debating it....! :D

No, honestly, that is not what I am saying Oldstyle...read what I wrote to Asterism...that's what I am saying...

Last edited:

"But everyone cheats on their taxes, no it's not suspicious that I have $2 Million in expenses I can't verify. My hard drive crashed."

Would that work at an IRS audit?

Last edited:

Not if these were the rules of their office...they are not laws, if I used the term law, I was wrong, they are RULES...

And no, the employees should not be held accountable for these rules and regs, being modified by their management for their particular use...

but if the hierarchy of the Division did set rules that did not meet the guidelines, then the Division management that put forth these office guidelines not meeting federal guidelines, should be held accountable.

If Lerner and these 7 were not a part of making these office guidelines, of course they should not be held accountable, nor should the other workers just following normal office practice and rules.

So it's not their fault that they cannot follow IRS regulations? Interesting.

"But officer, I didn't set the speed limit and everyone else was going 80 mph too!"

"But officer, I didn't set the speed limit and everyone else was going 80 mph too!"
You obviously have not worked for a corporation or a big beauracracy...you follow the office guidelines that your management sets....of course your management is responsible for setting the office guidelines within the corporation's or bureaucracy's guidelines and the employees presume the office rules are correctly fitting in to the bureau's guidelines....it's not up to the employees to determine that their management guidelines do or do not technically fit the head corporation's guidelines....

If you want to hold these 7 responsible for their Director's guidelines for their office that were established, then you have to hold every single employee there responsible....you are punishing the people not responsible for the office's rules that were set before they were even hired. That's just common sense that they, the employees, would not be responsible for what rules, their management sets.

And if everyone in the office managed their emails in the same manner, then there is NOTHING suspicious about what these people have done with their emails.*

but we don't even know if this is what has happened....we just need to find out, and then move forward from there.

Last edited:

You obviously have not worked for a corporation or a big beauracracy...you follow the office guidelines that your management sets....of course your management is responsible for setting the office guidelines within the corporation's or bureaucracy's guidelines and the employees presume the office rules are correctly fitting in to the bureau's guidelines....it's not up to the employees to determine that their management guidelines do or do not technically fit the head corporation's guidelines....

If you want to hold these 7 responsible for their Director's guidelines for their office that were established, then you have to hold every single employee there responsible....you are punishing the people not responsible for the office's rules that were set before they were even hired. That's just common sense that they, the employees, would not be responsible for what rules, their management sets.

And if everyone in the office managed their emails in the same manner, then there is NOTHING suspicious about what these people have done with their emails.*

but we don't even know if this is what has happened....we just need to find out, and then move forward from there.

The rules are clear, these people violated them. You are making flimsy excuses for people that are under scrutiny for inappropriate actions.

The rules are clear, these people violated them. You are making flimsy excuses for people that are under scrutiny for inappropriate actions.
no, i'm not making excuses, i'm stating reality....

Isn't your contention, ''the Lerner 7'', got rid of their own emails by blowing up their own 7 hard drives and not making copies of their own emails so they could hide them from Congress?

If all employees only made paper copies of emails involved in Irs Case loads and filed only these emails with the Case Documents, and did not make copies of their other emails....

How can you continue to accuse the Lerner 7 of blowing up their own hard drives and removing any trace of their emails by purposely not making paper copies, when this could be just office protocol?

EVEN IF you want to reprimand all the employees in the IRS for not following these federal irs guidelines that you have interpreted as them breaking....it helps your original accusations against the Lerner 7- ZIP/NONE/NAUGHT....because they did nothing out of the ordinary that all other employees didn't do as well...it would not be this tell tale sign that they were hiding something, or even did anything wrong imo.

You know what I find amusing, Care? You keep saying we need to find out what happened and then we can move forward when it's obvious that people in power at the IRS are quite determined that we DON'T find out what happened!

You excuse the hard drive crashes of the Head of the Exempt Organizations Division...the Chief of Staff for the IRS Commissioner...the IRS National Media Relations Chief...(all of which took place in Washington) and then four of the agents working in Exempt Organizations Division in Cincinnati as some sort of bizarre coincidence.

You state that you believe that the failure to back up emails to paper might be an IRS-wide company policy but provide ZERO proof that this is so. You also seem to think that fulfilling this requirement is up to the different governmental agencies to decide whether or not they feel like complying. How you've arrived at that conclusion I don't have the faintest idea either...

You don't seem to think it's strange that the hard drives of 3 prominent IRS officials could crash and that NONE of them would ask that the data they lost be retrieved from tape backups. I guess you're of the belief that none of those 3 prominent IRS officials had anything of value on their hard drives and simply threw up their hands and said: "Oh well, I guess shit happens! I've lost all those important files but what's a busy IRS executive to do!"

And you don't find it bizarre that nobody at the IRS would tell Congress that they were missing emails and the email paper backups and that nobody had bothered to retrieve the lost data from the back up system UNTIL AFTER THOSE TAPE BACK UP HAD BEEN SCRUBBED? You actually BUY that happening simply by accident!

And no...you're not stating "reality"...you're trying to twist reality to try to find some way to make what happened at the IRS not look like the blatant destruction of evidence that it was.

You know what I find amusing, Care? You keep saying we need to find out what happened and then we can move forward when it's obvious that people in power at the IRS are quite determined that we DON'T find out what happened!

You excuse the hard drive crashes of the Head of the Exempt Organizations Division...the Chief of Staff for the IRS Commissioner...the IRS National Media Relations Chief...(all of which took place in Washington) and then four of the agents working in Exempt Organizations Division in Cincinnati as some sort of bizarre coincidence.

You state that you believe that the failure to back up emails to paper might be an IRS-wide company policy but provide ZERO proof that this is so. You also seem to think that fulfilling this requirement is up to the different governmental agencies to decide whether or not they feel like complying. How you've arrived at that conclusion I don't have the faintest idea either...

You don't seem to think it's strange that the hard drives of 3 prominent IRS officials could crash and that NONE of them would ask that the data they lost be retrieved from tape backups. I guess you're of the belief that none of those 3 prominent IRS officials had anything of value on their hard drives and simply threw up their hands and said: "Oh well, I guess shit happens! I've lost all those important files but what's a busy IRS executive to do!"

And you don't find it bizarre that nobody at the IRS would tell Congress that they were missing emails and the email paper backups and that nobody had bothered to retrieve the lost data from the back up system UNTIL AFTER THOSE TAPE BACK UP HAD BEEN SCRUBBED? You actually BUY that happening simply by accident!

See, your problem is that you are treating Careless as someone capable of reasoned thought. If this thread has shown anything it is that is mistaken. SHe has consistently intentionally misunderstood plain statute language cited. She has relied on bizarre explanations that amount to rationalizations. It makes no sense. If you were talking about George Bush's office doing that she would have a firm belief in his guilt already.

Nonsense.

You and others on the right are pursuing this 'scandal' motivated not by facts, evidence, truth, or the law, but solely by partisanism.

You state that you believe that the failure to back up emails to paper might be an IRS-wide company policy but provide ZERO proof that this is so.

No different than your speculating about guilt with no proof, is it? :D

You also seem to think that fulfilling this requirement is up to the different governmental agencies to decide whether or not they feel like complying. How you've arrived at that conclusion I don't have the faintest idea either...

I think we need to know this before we can ascertain whether the Lerner 7 did anything out of the ordinary.

Honestly, I don't see how the email data could even be "lost" when a hard drive crashes, I thought emails were part of a system and stored on other servers and this was how all email worked....if my hard drive on my laptop ever crashed, I could still go to my husband's computer, go to yahoo, and get to my mail and nothing would be lost?

So maybe this was the case, with all the people at the irs that lost their computers to hard drive crashes...maybe they did not lose their emails and continued on with their daily work with their new computers? I DON'T KNOW and as said, I truly don't comprehend what the news and congress critters are saying the IRS is claiming...?

I just want to dot the i's and cross the t's and try to understand what is going on here and the timeline of it all, before I throw out my conviction of guilt.

How many people do you think are involved in this whole conspiracy of yours? The entire IRS in all divisions, across the nation, including their computer techies? :D

What's the time line Oldstyle....were these back up servers of these Lerner 7 recycled before the subpoena served to the IRS for the information relating to the tea party applications being given extra scrutiny? Because if Lerner's computer crashed back in Mid 2011 then the email servers would have been recycled by the end of December in 2011 or in January of 2012....and If I am not mistaken, the subpoena for the emails regarding extra scrutiny on groups applying for 501c status came in 2013....

The "time Line" of what you think has happened, doesn't fit with the timeline of when congress served the irs with a subpoena for information regarding the focus and hard scrutiny given to the tea party groups application for 501c4 status, which I repeat, was in 2013...this was years after her hard drive crash and email b/u's being recycled

The letter that came from Camp in early June of 2011 trying to get the IRS TO NOT FOLLOW the law on the books for Gift taxes for his 5 friends holding 501c status is NOT about the irs's extra scrutiny for applications for 501c status....these groups already held 501c3 &4 status. So the claim THAT congress was investigating them for their wrong doing on groups APPLYING for 501c status back in 2011 is simply false....Camp was asking them to not start following a law, that was ignored and not followed in previous years....

I am not saying you are going to be WRONG in your speculations about this Oldstyle, I'm just saying there are too many loose ends and unanswered questions to be so adamant that your scenario and speculations are FACT, are TRUE, at this time.

How many people do I think are involved? Let's see...Lois Lerner, Steven Miller, Douglas Shulman, John Koskinen, Nikole Flax, Michelle Eldridge, Kimberly Kitchens, Nancy Heagney, Julie Chen, Tyler Chumny, Richard Pilger, & whoever the White House staff member or members were that Nikole Flax had her 30 meetings with before the elections. Throw in whoever the computer tech was that fried the 7 hard drives and you've pretty much got your cast of characters for this cover-up.

Of course she did, anyone with a 5th grade education can figure out she is a lying sack of shit that the dog ate her emails I mean many email servers just crashed and destroyed all her emails.

u know what I find amusing, Care? You keep saying we need to find out what happened and then we can move forward when it's obvious that people in power at the IRS are quite determined that we DON'T find out what happened!

Wait.....you're insinuating some conspiracy because Congress found hard drive crashes 'only' among those they're investing?

Notice Congress had nothing to say on the rate of hard drive crashes in the Sacramento, California IRS offices. Or those in Oklahoma City. Or those in Tampa Florida, or Provo Utah? Why? Because they didn't subpoena the email records or examine hard drive crashes in any of those offices. So of course the hard drive crashes they're going to know about are going to be limited to those divisions they've looked into.

Your insinuations make as much sense as going to 5 rooms in a 2000 room hotel and declaring its an implausible coincidence that they found fresh bedding ONLY in those 5 rooms. Um, fella....they only checked those 5 rooms.

If you have evidence that the rate of hard drive crashes was significantly higher than the rest of the IRS, show us. But you can't. You can only insinuate an argument you can't possibly back up. Which is essentially the entirety of the conservative argument on the IRS 'scandal'. Steaming piles of baseless insinuation, backed by jack shyte as far as evidence.

We're in year 3 of the investigation. And there's not even evidence of political motivation. Let alone a 'crime'. Not even Issa and the republican congressional investigation are claiming that Lerner caused her hard drive crash. And every piece of evidence indicates that they made every effort to retrieve the information lost on it. So what, exactly, are you insinuating?

Surely nothing the evidence supports. So far, your 'evidence' is that you have zero proof! Talk about an argument without corners.

In fact, they retrieved about 24,000 emails from other sources. And guess what? There wasn't a fucking thing indicating Lerner was part of the conspiracy your ilk are insinuating. She's turned over a total of 64,000 emails. And guess what? Nothing there either. Nothing in any of the emails from any of the Cincinnati office folks, nothing in the folks from Washington. Nothing from anyone in the IRS they've investigated.

You'd think after years of fruitless investigations, the stunning lack of evidence to back the tin foil batshyte from Issa and his ilk would be an enormously obvious indication that the conspiracy was wrong. But nope!

Isn't it funny that the longer this farce of an 'investigation' goes on and the less republicans find to back up their baseless narrative.....the more elaborate their excuses for their utter failure of their conspiracy become? Don't you think that's just a little bizarre?

Forum List

Back